Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think the fandom is as bad as he says it is

It is much worse than I say it is. DkS hardcore fans are obnoxious as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

slowbeef posted:

Any hardcore fans are poo poo, no matter what the game. You're just stuck deeeeeeeeeeeep in the no mans land of DS fandom right now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's really weird looking at Dks footage after having gotten used to how Dks2 is.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm sure making videos and dealing with commenters makes it worse too. Also there are probably people who message just to send "Why the gently caress did you do X I didn't do that on my first time I didn't even get hit" and I bet that gets tiring over time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

slowbeef posted:

I was going to say that my experiences with the thread on SA are positive, then I realized I stopped visiting that thread because 20% was funny/informative stuff and 80% was absurdly stupid arguments. You win this round, Slowbeef.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

bobjr posted:

I'm sure making videos and dealing with commenters makes it worse too. Also there are probably people who message just to send "Why the gently caress did you do X I didn't do that on my first time I didn't even get hit" and I bet that gets tiring over time.

That's like the tip of the iceberg. One guy got mad at me for downvoting a Praise the Sun message because "what if you were playing the game in character?"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

slowbeef posted:

That's like the tip of the iceberg. One guy got mad at me for downvoting a Praise the Sun message because "what if you were playing the game in character?"

Fun fact: a message's rating is the number of votes it has received, both negative and positive, with only the miracle Guidance revealing how many of each.

Wilkin
Mar 15, 2014

I'll'ven't used a lot of contractions in my time.

SnakemanMn posted:

Let me propose a formula for you all.

Minecraft videos + lackluster video game references + no actual gameplay, only "comedy skits" + no commentary at ALL, only subtitle dialogue if necessary + Yakety Sax, lots of Yakety Sax, put it in every video don't you dare skimp out on the Yakety loving Sax + fart jokes in every video, yes, EVERY video = ???

Well, I have come bearing the answer. If you took all of that, followed it word for word, and put it into practice, you will come to see that your channel will be incredibly successful, with 800k+ subscribers.

I am praying for an early death because I don't want to be around this awful earth when the current preteen to teenage generation enters the working class. It will be absolutely catastrophic.

The only useful information I have gleaned from this channel is that, yes, there is definitive evidence that one can make more than enough money to sustain an adequate living through Youtube, via fart jokes. :vince:

I feel like the formula could use even more quotation marks and lacklusters. Though with such hits as "Miley Cyrus Plays Minecraft" (1.1 million views) and "Fart Battle" (1.7 million views), I'm waiting for Matthew Lesko to make commercials for YouTube.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Are they just being obnoxious twats saying he's bad at Dark Souls? Sounds like a awful lot of youtube commenters.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Golden Goat posted:

Are they just being obnoxious twats saying he's bad at Dark Souls? Sounds like a awful lot of youtube commenters.

Dark Souls has a very vocal elitist subsection of its fanbase. If you don't do something exactly like they would or you're not optimal enough then they'll poo poo all over you.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You parry the final boss: Worst player ever omfg, so cheap. kill yourself.
You did not parry the final boss: Scrub, go back to farville.

The Dark Souls community is horrible.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This section is somewhat badly designed??!?!?!?! No, you're just bad at Dark Souls!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

slowbeef posted:

In character i always kill Solaire because i'm tired of his poo poo :colbert:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

This section is somewhat badly designed??!?!?!?! No, you're just bad at Dark Souls!

Zedd posted:

You parry the final boss: Worst player ever omfg, so cheap. kill yourself.
You did not parry the final boss: Scrub, go back to farville.

The Dark Souls community is horrible.

Okay yeah that's pretty loving stupid when the game has a bunch of valid ways to go about sections and it can be pretty lovely at times.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

In character i always kill Solaire because i'm tired of his poo poo :colbert:

The correct way to do it is kill him and then take all your stuff back since you are the real Solaire. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

My favorite dark souls thing is people talking about shields, a central gameplay aspect, being a crutch and you're a scrub if you use such weak-rear end moves like blocking.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Testekill posted:

Dark Souls has a very vocal elitist subsection of its fanbase. If you don't do something exactly like they would or you're not optimal enough then they'll poo poo all over you.

That time he got stabbed by the sentinel through the fog door and then one shotted while stun locked by Orenstien was one of those funny design and level layout quirks that people proceeded to say was his fault and not a problem with the game at all because the game is perfect.

I am so glad I'm not one of those people.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Testekill posted:

Exactly this. So many people were trying to backseat game 'Beef during the entire LP, and making sure he doesn't miss a single thing. I don't know why, because Dark Souls encourages multiple playthroughs. The comments about the lore, though...seriously?

I think a point was proven with the last video, though: It's the most disliked video in the playthrough.

I think the fanbase worries that LPers won't enjoy the game if they don't know where everything is, or can't find the obscure lore, because I've seen a few Dark Souls LPs on YouTube with the comment section being nothing but backseat gamers.

Lazyfire posted:

That time he got stabbed by the sentinel through the fog door and then one shotted while stun locked by Orenstien was one of those funny design and level layout quirks that people proceeded to say was his fault and not a problem with the game at all because the game is perfect.

Still can't get over how upset people were over one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen Dark Souls related.

SnakemanNm posted:

Well, I have come bearing the answer. If you took all of that, followed it word for word, and put it into practice, you will come to see that your channel will be incredibly successful, with 800k+ subscribers.

I'll never understand why Minecraft channels like this are so popular. Plenty of these videos have millions of views.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 11, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorite dark souls thing is people talking about shields, a central gameplay aspect, being a crutch and you're a scrub if you use such weak-rear end moves like blocking.

Dark Souls 2 has the new game stat, Adaptability, that increases things like how fast you drink Estus or how well you roll.

The amount of times I've seen people call it a useless stat because those things are a crutch makes my head hurt. :psyduck:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

I'll never understand why Minecraft channels like this are so popular. Plenty of these videos have millions of views.

It's just an incredibly popular game with boys (not sure about girls) younger than 14-16 in my experience. At that age they don't have particularly high standards yet either. It's basically virtual Lego so it's not too surprising I think.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Minecraft videos are peaceful to me. It's more like watching a podcast with something shiny to keep my eyes busy.

Needless to say "farts farts rape your mother loving gently caress" ruins said experience somewhat so I avoid channels like that:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Attestant posted:

Dark Souls 2 has the new game stat, Adaptability, that increases things like how fast you drink Estus or how well you roll.

The amount of times I've seen people call it a useless stat because those things are a crutch makes my head hurt. :psyduck:

Well, if you just played perfectly you wouldn't need the extra invincibility frames. :smug:

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Roar posted:

Minecraft videos are peaceful to me. It's more like watching a podcast with something shiny to keep my eyes busy.

Needless to say "farts farts rape your mother loving gently caress" ruins said experience somewhat so I avoid channels like that:

Oh, I completely agree. Dave_O's Minecraft videos are still among my favorites to watch. It's just so many go for the fast-paced non-stop wacky commentary that really go against what Minecraft is all about.

If only Bob Ross was still around to make a Minecraft LP.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Andrast posted:

Well, if you just played perfectly you wouldn't need the extra invincibility frames. :smug:

It's still a drat dumb and slippery argument to make.

Health is a crutch if you play perfectly!

Stamina is a crutch if you manage it perfectly!

Str and Dex are crutches, because better weapons and damage are useless if you play perfectly!

Basically if you're not SL1 you might as well not play because you're not good enough for this perfect game series. :smaug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Attestant posted:

It's still a drat dumb and slippery argument to make.

Health is a crutch if you play perfectly!

Stamina is a crutch if you manage it perfectly!

Str and Dex are crutches, because better weapons and damage are useless if you play perfectly!

Basically if you're not SL1 you might as well not play because you're not good enough for this perfect game series. :smaug:

If your first playthrough wasn't a no deaths & no bonfires run you are a scrub.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

RSCNyx posted:

Minecraft videos getting an insane amount of views is nothing new, that's kind of old news. The only time when I'd say the high view count is justified is when somebody makes some really massive creation that takes a lot of time and effort. Too bad only a miniscule fraction of Minecraft videos are actually this, while the majority are people trying to LP the game and forgetting the fact that watching someone else play Minecraft is the most boring poo poo ever.

But I just had to link this HarryAndJerry channel because it isn't even any of that. It's somehow this odd trade-off between video editing effort (because there is definitely more effort applied to the editing phase, compared to most "average" Minecraft videos), and in-game effort (they aren't even playing the game normally, just setting up little scenes and props and using them to perpetuate the cold, hard truth that you can make insane amounts of ad revenue with fart jokes being an essential staple to your channel content).

Even when it comes to their most popular series, the "video games in Minecraft", the jokes aren't even original most of the time. In one of those particular videos, they featured The Sims, and it was a very short clip poking fun at the fact that Sims can't leave swimming pools without a ladder. That joke's been known and overdone since the early 2000s, when the first game was released. And their "Final Fantasy" skit? It didn't even have anything to do with the game's mechanics or style as a whole, it just showed one of the players turning around in front of a zombie and crouching, then they edited in a fart (big surprise) and the battle victory music. But, of course, just mentioning Final Fantasy and throwing in that much-needed kiddie "humor" is more than enough to net you over a million views.

The "Famous Youtuber" scene is nothing more than a large group of younger (and a few older) adults perpetuating the retardation of today's youth for the sole purpose of getting absurd amounts of money, with really awful content. To quote Bill Hicks, "When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children?"

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

SnakemanMn posted:

Let me propose a formula for you all.

Minecraft videos + lackluster video game references + no actual gameplay, only "comedy skits" + no commentary at ALL, only subtitle dialogue if necessary + Yakety Sax, lots of Yakety Sax, put it in every video don't you dare skimp out on the Yakety loving Sax + fart jokes in every video, yes, EVERY video = ???

I am praying for an early death because I don't want to be around this awful earth when the current preteen to teenage generation enters the working class. It will be absolutely catastrophic.

The only useful information I have gleaned from this channel is that, yes, there is definitive evidence that one can make more than enough money to sustain an adequate living through Youtube, via fart jokes. :vince:

Calm down, grandpa. If you take a look back at your formative years, I'm sure you'd see your sense of humor was awful and embarrassing. None of us pop out of the womb with neckbeard already attached, craving Decent Standup Comedy and ironic tweets while thumbing our noses at internet Memes and Farts. Preteens and so on tend to grow up into adults before entering the work force, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

SnakemanMn posted:

The "Famous Youtuber" scene is nothing more than a large group of younger (and a few older) adults perpetuating the retardation of today's youth for the sole purpose of getting absurd amounts of money, with really awful content. To quote Bill Hicks, "When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children?"
Calm down, grandpa. It's cool to poke at the very bad youtube channels because of the things they do that are super unfunny, but screaming about the children generation is making you look like a drat fool. Check yourself etc

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SnakemanMn posted:

To quote Bill Hicks, "When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children?"

April 1, 2013

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Hey hang on a second, there's something suspicious about that date

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ekster posted:

It's just an incredibly popular game with boys (not sure about girls) younger than 14-16 in my experience. At that age they don't have particularly high standards yet either. It's basically virtual Lego so it's not too surprising I think.

Every week we all go to my in-law's for dinner and since I gave my nephew a laptop with Minecraft on it we've had to institute a ban on talking about Minecraft at the dinner table. He won't stop talking about it, and he's a chatty kid to start with. Something about the game just clicks with the kid and he will sit quietly and watch his dad scoop up lava for a moat for hours on end and report back like it was the most important event of his life. His playtime with it is limited by his mom, but he has about 100 times more fun just tooling around in that than I ever did. I think the simplicity of the game is the big selling point. Like any kid with the dexterity to use a KB/M will be able to get some joy out of the thing, even if they aren't great at it.

In other Minecraft news: Mojang is going to change EULA stuff to try and stop server owners from doing a "donations for perks" scheme. Normally I wouldn't post this here, but Mojang specifically calls out Woodycraft, run by declining-fame YouTube superstar WoodysGamertag. Woody started as a Call of Duty guy, but started doing a Podcast which is his big money maker now and does occasional videos, heavily featuring his PvP Minecraft server, the aforementioned and creatively named WoodyCraft. Woody's got one of the weirder histories out there. He was making decent money as a software engineer of some sort when he quit his job to YouTube full time, is often accused of exploiting his autistic son for attention and sympathy and once had a deal with Netflix where he streamed his family watching movies on Netflix while his son humped the family dog because that's how you do that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Lazyfire posted:

I thought people were saying that he purposely set that up to make the game look bad?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Boxturret posted:

I thought people were saying that he purposely set that up to make the game look bad?

That's too stupid for even them to say that.

Wilkin
Mar 15, 2014

I'll'ven't used a lot of contractions in my time.
I wonder if Lego videos on YouTube would have been popular if it was around in the late 80's-early 90's. But then I s'pose it wouldn't have the flair of being an FPS to make it not as childish.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

RSCNyx posted:

It's just so many go for the fast-paced non-stop wacky commentary that really go against what Minecraft is all about.

Eh, most of those people will do that with any game. The "I'm OHSOWACKY!" approach where they make a fool out of themselves for "comedy". It is like being a clown... or maybe a whore.

Usually why I turn off a video in 3 seconds.

That and lovely intros that add nothing to the video.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

That's too stupid for even them to say that.

I'm pretty sure in a podcast slowbeef talked about how people were saying he doctored the footage, or manipulated the game to make that happen.

Seriously, Dark Souls is a loving PERFECT game and GOD HELP YOU if you think otherwise. Hell, even goons go into a frothing rage, they had to actually say "No darksouls" in the old pyf dragging this game down thread cause whenever a goon thought something was terrible 10 other goons would rush to the thread telling him how poo poo he was and how the game is flawless.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Leal posted:

I'm pretty sure in a podcast slowbeef talked about how people were saying he doctored the footage, or manipulated the game to make that happen.

Seriously, Dark Souls is a loving PERFECT game and GOD HELP YOU if you think otherwise. Hell, even goons go into a frothing rage, they had to actually say "No darksouls" in the old pyf dragging this game down thread cause whenever a goon thought something was terrible 10 other goons would rush to the thread telling him how poo poo he was and how the game is flawless.

The most annoying part is when fanboys get tired of arguing (or a mod tells them to knock that poo poo off) and they just say "Weeeeeell, it's not for everyone, I guess," with the biggest :smuggo: you can possibly express through text.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Leal posted:

Wow it took two seconds to find a example of Dark Souls fans vs Slowbeef. From Reddit

An asshat posted:

Yes Yes Yes Yes. Also, the amount of stupidity in this picture is so high it was most likely done intentionally. Crazy poo poo like that doesn't actually happen in the game. You will never die out of nowhere in Dark Souls. You only die because you screwed up. The bosses and enemies really aren't close to being impossible, provided you take them slowly and watch their attacks. The reason this game appears so difficult to many is that they try and fight carelessly like they would in Skyrim or something.
Or they go left when they reach Firelink. Don't go to the graveyard, go up the stairs on the cliff.

A dude literally smacked him in the back from behind a fog door. That's the game falling into "bullshit" country and not the players fault.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Golden Goat posted:

Wow it took two seconds to find a example of Dark Souls fans vs Slowbeef. From Reddit

A dude literally smacked him in the back from behind a fog door. That's the game falling into "bullshit" country and not the players fault.

Wouldent have happened if he had went slow, took his time and watched enemy attacks for weak spots, if he hadent been playing this game like [insert popular game here] then the game wouldent have punished him for. But that's okay if he just wants to give up, Dark souls isnt for everybody :smug:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe he should've methodically and carefully cleared all the enemies up to the door before continuing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Wilkin posted:

I wonder if Lego videos on YouTube would have been popular if it was around in the late 80's-early 90's. But then I s'pose it wouldn't have the flair of being an FPS to make it not as childish.
Don't forget Lego Island.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Calm down, grandpa. If you take a look back at your formative years, I'm sure you'd see your sense of humor was awful and embarrassing. None of us pop out of the womb with neckbeard already attached, craving Decent Standup Comedy and ironic tweets while thumbing our noses at internet Memes and Farts. Preteens and so on tend to grow up into adults before entering the work force, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
People don't always learn from their mistakes. Some people have said that I still haven't learned a god drat thing between 2008 and now. I can't say I agree nor disagree with them.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread