Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Rhymenoserous posted:

Star wars couldn't make it for two reasons.

1. There was gently caress all to do once you finished the leveling quest chain.
2. Server transfers took too long to implement, so your only option to get off the server that just keeled over and died was to reroll your characters and level them again. Most of the people I know who enjoyed the game ultimately quit because of this.

If they had built a decent dungeon/raid system prior to releasing the game they'd have been in much better shape.

They've definitely done a good job with it once F2P was out with dungeon finder and the server merges done with.

SWTOR isn't quite as raid centric as WoW, which is probably where some of the disappointment was as well. Most heavy players (myself included) have multiple alts because of unique storylines and that's where the meat of the game is.

The digital expansion wasn't amazing in terms of leveling content, but improved raiding a lot. The current raid tier is really fun. You can conceivably raid with all of your alts without being throttled with grind/timesinks like what most MMOs do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I have been blueballed by server disconnects my past 4 attempts on WotW. I am not even kidding, I'll start the adventure (2-3 players disconnect when it first starts but typically come back on after 30 seconds). We'll begin, I'll spend between 10-20 minutes clearing through the adventure. Then I'll get a disconnect: lost connection to world server. I'll log back on in the overworld, no longer in an instance party, with no ability to rejoin it or reconnect. I queue as tank so it's not an issue of waiting for groups (although if this was happening with DPS queues, that'd be something alright).

It is absolutely eliminating my desire to play this game. Once is bad luck. For example, the server keeled over during a fantastic guild clear of a dungeon and didn't come back right away. We chatted on voip and everyone generally agreed that despite its faults the game is great. poo poo happens.

This is now 5 disconnects over 2 separate evenings of play, that only occur when I'm between 5 to 15 minutes or more into group content with no ability to rejoin or reconnect? I was wondering if maybe I got vote-kicked, but several of the adventures were going really well and everyone was having pretty positive banter, so I'm mystified.

I really, really dislike that I can't queue for adventures with a partial group as well. That's beyond frustrating.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Wildstar will obviously be free to play one day.

I mean it's not like they are going to close the server down two years early as some sort of moral protest against the free to play system.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tezzeract posted:

They've definitely done a good job with it once F2P was out with dungeon finder and the server merges done with.

ToR has one of the most horrendously cash-grabby F2P implementations I've ever seen, the only reason people put up with poo poo like "pay $5 to be able to hide your hat" is because of the IP.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
How overcrowded are we in terms of healers in the guild? I`m having fun with my spellslinger but I don`t want to have to fight to get a place in groups. Also, any high level slinger can tell if theres a lot of issues with survivability up ahead?

Depending on the circumstances I might just go with the warrior as it is also quite fun (besides heavy armor looks much better than the underwhelming light armor the game has),but on the other hand It just seems to me that tanking is much more simple threat generation spamming and less rewarding.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I feel like if all a person wants to do is 'level quickly' and basically bypass/ignore content they may as well level in PvP queues (or dungeon queues in a game that has them - does WildStar? I haven't looked into this yet).

Part of the draw of the actual gameplay is exploring the world and seeing what kind of things are stashed away in nooks and crannies.

Except that's actually a slower way to level.

I top off levels doing that poo poo, but I'd never refer to it as speed leveling.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Carbine really needs to do something about this poo poo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WarLocke posted:

ToR has one of the most horrendously cash-grabby F2P implementations I've ever seen, the only reason people put up with poo poo like "pay $5 to be able to hide your hat" is because of the IP.

Or you could spend like 20k credits(Do two or 3 quests at 55) and buy it off the GTN?

Just about everything important(account related stuff, Races/Character slots/Hiding helms etc etc) can be purchased on the GTN(Auction House).

The only complete bullshit thing about f2p is the Credit Limit they impose on F2P players and making them have to buy escrow's(you can get on the AH) in order to go above the cap. Cap is like 250k or 350k or something

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 11, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

frest posted:

This is now 5 disconnects over 2 separate evenings of play, that only occur when I'm between 5 to 15 minutes or more into group content with no ability to rejoin or reconnect? I was wondering if maybe I got vote-kicked, but several of the adventures were going really well and everyone was having pretty positive banter, so I'm mystified.

I really, really dislike that I can't queue for adventures with a partial group as well. That's beyond frustrating.

What do you mean you can't? I've done it with some guildies (queued up as tank/healer/dps) and golded (old) WotW just fine? Crimelords is also basically trivial to run atm and I can see it getting buffed.

I really wish tempest refuge wouldn't just randomly have spikes when I run it though. It's bizarrely inconsistent but it makes some fights unbearable in the instance. We get crashes while loading into adventures now and then too but they've rarely prevented us from actually running them, so that's kind of weird.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I feel like if all a person wants to do is 'level quickly' and basically bypass/ignore content they may as well level in PvP queues (or dungeon queues in a game that has them - does WildStar? I haven't looked into this yet).

Both pvp queues and especially dungeons (yes there is a group finder) are slower than questing 2-4 levels above your level.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dexo posted:

Or you could spend like 20k credits(Do two or 3 quests at 55) and buy it off the GTN?

Just about everything important(account related stuff, Races/Character slots/Hiding helms etc etc) can be purchased on the GTN(Auction House).

I kinda like the idea of having F2P tokens for cosmetic poo poo people can buy then toss on the AH for cash.

Also I would very much like my next boom box to be an awesome mount or maybe some bits from the raidin costume, devs pls listen.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Zephyrine posted:

Wildstar will obviously be free to play one day.
Why do you think this? I think you're wrong.

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing
Logged in today, got "You must rename your character". I guess "Yiffin" is a bad word? :psyduck:

I'm guessing I got reported by a fragile furry and then some Carbine support rep sitting in her cubicle in a fur suit sympathized, and welp...

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Above Our Own posted:

Why do you think this? I think you're wrong.

Hell, WoW will be free to play one day. Once your player base shrinks to a smaller amount of more dedicated players it makes more sense to let them spend more than 15 bucks a month on your game and drop the initial sub fee deterrent. I've seen people in GW2 drop hundreds of dollars on gems, and every time swtor comes out with a new random pack of cosmetic items people spend huge sums of money. Even WoW's mount shop is hugely popular and probably makes them crazy amounts of money. In a lot of ways free + cash shop is a much better financial model than sub fees.

As for not just adding a cash shop and keeping the fee, nerds get really really mad about microtransactions existing alongside a sub fee, and a sub tends to be a deterrent for casuals, so it usually makes sense for games which are past their prime to make that change.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jfizzoid posted:

Logged in today, got "You must rename your character". I guess "Yiffin" is a bad word? :psyduck:

I'm guessing I got reported by a fragile furry and then some Carbine support rep sitting in her cubicle in a fur suit sympathized, and welp...

RP servers tend to have stricter rules for player character names than non-RP servers would. I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually a valid point in the ToS that makes your name a violation of the realm rules.

To put it in perspective - I was on Faeblight (the RP server for RIFT) and our guild name at the time Beep Beep Im A Jeep was force-changed because it had a copyright-violating part in its name and one of our members had her name changed from PinkPrincess because you couldn't have nobility/royalty titles in your name. You really shouldn't act surprised or indignant if your name is force-changed on an RP server for a game, especially if you were making that name to make fun of a segment of the population (regardless of how bizarre their preferences are) in the first place. Like, if you made a character called KidDiddler on Evindra? 90% sure that would get its name force-changed.

Although, on the other hand, I tried to google for any realm-specific rules for Evindra and didn't find anything on an extremely cursory glance, so maybe a more general ToS term was violated? :iiam:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 11, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Uh oh we have another guild member named Yiffie.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Collateral Damage posted:

Yep I noticed this as well. I think it's a bug related to the Assassin AMP which prevents stealth breaking from damage, so stealth doesn't break until you finish activating an object. I lost a side point from right under my nose in Bloodsworn the other day thanks to the same bug. The stalker didn't become visible until the point turned.

I don't know about masks as I haven't tried but you get an error saying you are stealthed when trying to cap a point.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a semi-official goon hangout on EU, Exile side? I'd like to try them out as well and if there's a guild or something already then I'd rather join that directly.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I think the medic has the most cohesive class theme and the technomancer vibe is cool. The DPS while leveling seems to completely suck, though. As much as I love the class idea and execution I won't have fun if I'm constantly whittling down enemies while stalkers and spellslingers blow through groups in 3 globals.

I'm level 20 now, does medic DPS get better at later levels? Maybe I'm not playing it as well as I could be, do any of you guys feel like you're keeping up with other classes?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Above Our Own posted:

I think the medic has the most cohesive class theme and the technomancer vibe is cool. The DPS while leveling seems to completely suck, though. As much as I love the class idea and execution I won't have fun if I'm constantly whittling down enemies while stalkers and spellslingers blow through groups in 3 globals.

I'm level 20 now, does medic DPS get better at later levels? Maybe I'm not playing it as well as I could be, do any of you guys feel like you're keeping up with other classes?

As a medic you should be pulling groups of 5+ dudes at all times.

Also I took a break from my medic to level a warrior up a bit and they are actually quite fun. Is there some secret way to making you see where you will land with leap or do you just need practice and learn the distance he jumps?

Also for people talking about leveling speed, I felt like 25-35 actually went faster than 15-25. The amount of quest you get that actually have good xp rewards as well as objectives that need you to kill lots of mobs sky rocket making your xp per hour a lot higher.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 11, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So when would Quest XP drop off to "don't bother" levels? One level overleveled or two?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
edit: ^ when you're equal level

Above Our Own posted:

Once you hit Level 25, things get a lot better. T4 Dev Probes if TTK is ~10 seconds, focus on large packs instead of solo strong mobs. Take Dual Shock at all times, stack Crit so you can run Atomize and Dual Shock simultaneously, you'll never die.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Above Our Own posted:

I think there is discussion about this a page or two back.

I want to know what Medic healing is like. I was healing on my SS and I'm not a fan of their style of healing. What is the medic style? Melee up-close stuff?

Unlucky7 posted:

So when would Quest XP drop off to "don't bother" levels? One level overleveled or two?

I think if it's one level below what you are you should just drop it. Equal level or above or you'll get stuck getting 0.2% xp per quest.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I want to know what Medic healing is like. I was healing on my SS and I'm not a fan of their style of healing. What is the medic style? Melee up-close stuff?

Someone much earlier in the thread did a fantastic post I can't find on Medic healing in instances, and it basically boils to their short range meaning other players needs to stay in your AoEs often while dodging telegraphs ('T-rex armed healing') and shield heals being their main big niche.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I see a lot of unused potential with this neighbour system.

If someone has their neighbour share set to 25% then they get 75% of the ore if I visit their house and mine while they're away.

Which seemed grand to me so I got a bunch of neighbours and figured I could visit their house before going to work. Since I get up for work at 5 in the morning then this would be a good time to earn us all some ores.

Except that everyone so far has the share set to 0% so if I mine their ore then they get 100% and I get none. So I have no motivation at all to come visit in the morning.

On the other hand if we kept mining each others ores every time they spawned as a way to supplement each others time zones and away time then everyone involved could make quite a bit of gold.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Wicked Wall posted:

Someone much earlier in the thread did a fantastic post I can't find on Medic healing in instances, and it basically boils to their short range meaning other players needs to stay in your AoEs often while dodging telegraphs ('T-rex armed healing') and shield heals being their main big niche.

Yeah this sums it up quite well. If the healer is a medic please don't run around like chickens all over the instance, they quite literally have to chase you around to heal you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zephyrine posted:

If someone has their neighbour share set to 25% then they get 75% of the ore if I visit their house and mine while they're away.

Which seemed grand to me so I got a bunch of neighbours and figured I could visit their house before going to work. Since I get up for work at 5 in the morning then this would be a good time to earn us all some ores.

Except that everyone so far has the share set to 0% so if I mine their ore then they get 100% and I get none. So I have no motivation at all to come visit in the morning.

On the other hand if we kept mining each others ores every time they spawned as a way to supplement each others time zones and away time then everyone involved could make quite a bit of gold.

So tell them that. A lot of them probably don't even know they can adjust the shares.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BadLlama posted:

Yeah this sums it up quite well. If the healer is a medic please don't run around like chickens all over the instance, they quite literally have to chase you around to heal you.

This but for all healing classes,

You don't need to keep moving in most cases. Just get out of the Telegraph and stand right next to it. If a Telegraph forms on you you don't have to run to the other side of the loving room making me have to both find out where the gently caress you are and run there in order to heal you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

I do 50/50 split and encourage people to hit my land, mainly because I started with mining then swapped to tree chopping so this is my only free way to get mining stuff. If you are on Evindra just ping Styliekit and I'll neighbor you.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Zoness posted:

What do you mean you can't? I've done it with some guildies (queued up as tank/healer/dps) and golded (old) WotW just fine? Crimelords is also basically trivial to run atm and I can see it getting buffed.

I can partial queue to dungeons but whenever I attempt to do so with adventures the button remains greyed out, even when all party members have unlocked it or whatever.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just looked at those zone maps and I'm lvl 11 in the 8-9 areas and am having trouble as a spellslinger. I feel like I missed a weapon upgrade at some point along the way as mine is only lvl 5 or something. Is there anywhere in Deradune you can buy weapons or do I need to run to a capital and look at the AH?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It's not a problem. I'm still wearing level 25 gear that simply has better DPS stats for me than the level 30+ poo poo that's been dropping.

The issue you are running into is SS kinda sucks till certain abilities unlock.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

I think if it's one level below what you are you should just drop it. Equal level or above or you'll get stuck getting 0.2% xp per quest.

It feels like constantly being one actuator short or watching your crisis wave/shield surge cast in seemingly slow motion as the tank's health drops and your blood pressure rises.

Disclaimer: This may not be reflective of good/geared medic healers.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Didn't have time to keep up with the thread lately, is there an Exile EU guild on COntagion? I think I saw someone post that they were planning to make one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Minsky posted:

It feels like constantly being one actuator short or watching your crisis wave/shield surge cast in seemingly slow motion as the tank's health drops and your blood pressure rises.

Disclaimer: This may not be reflective of good/geared medic healers.

Tank health is always pretty crazy in most content mostly because Deflect is a major tank stat. Sometimes trash will almost kill a tank in less than a GCD because none of their hits go deflected and sometimes you don't even need to heal the tank for 10+ seconds at a time.

I have seen this with both warrior and engineer tanks at over 32-33k hp.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

I just looked at those zone maps and I'm lvl 11 in the 8-9 areas and am having trouble as a spellslinger. I feel like I missed a weapon upgrade at some point along the way as mine is only lvl 5 or something. Is there anywhere in Deradune you can buy weapons or do I need to run to a capital and look at the AH?

Rep vendor has good weapons. In the village. Should be wrecking mobs 2-3 levels below you on SS.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

WarLocke posted:

It's cosmetic stuff. As long as a F2P Wildstar doesn't sell raid gear (and the 160% XP potions) like Rift does, I think an F2P conversion should be fine.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's not a problem. I'm still wearing level 25 gear that simply has better DPS stats for me than the level 30+ poo poo that's been dropping.

The issue you are running into is SS kinda sucks till certain abilities unlock.

What are those abilities that I'm looking for? I like the class but I feel like I'm wayyy behind the curve on questing or in battlegrounds right now damagewise and it's kind of depressing. Right now I'm playing on a guest pass on a random server that is about to run out, so I'll be re-rolling with the goon saviors when I buy the game but it'd still be good knowledge to know as I think I'll probably roll another SS. I just need to play the warrior class as my last trial a little bit tonight for my guest pass to hit them all up for a few levels.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt the game will go f2p, have you seen how much CREDD is selling?

I've been having this really strange bug and made tickets about it and gotten no response so far. On the one hand its kind of neat, on the other hand it has rendered my costumes almost completely useless. I did the quest with the Strain where it summons your double and after that quest my costume was gone, I was permanently in my default armor except my default armor is dyed as if it were my costume. I can change my default armor and it stays dyed as if it were orange/black like my costume was. Its pretty neat for that, but none of my costumes work or do anything anymore, setting them to a different costume set or the default changes nothing, removing the costumes change nothing.

I've also been getting disconnected every 30 minutes to an hour and I sort of wonder if these things are connected somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Cash shops can actually be your bread and butter. I think it was said in irc that wow makes more money from its cash shop the subs.

• Locked thread