Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
A Phyrexian Emrakul that costs 15 phyrexian colorless would be pretty sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

You should really read the latest Uncharted Realms.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

It turns out that Kruphix knows everything in theros... and when planeswalkers come to theros, he gets their knowlege.
Recent planeswalker arrivals have given Kruphix much to think about.
Elspeth knew a ton about Phyrexia and the oil when she went to theros.
Ajani knew of Nicol Bolas ambitions.
Kiora knows of the Eldrazi and what they do to worlds.

All this worries Kruphix.
He fears he will be powerless to stop these threats should they arrive on theros.

Good Uncharted Realms, pretty interesting how Kruphix is basically Keeping It Real. Also interesting that he outright says that none of the current gods of Theros are necessarily the first to fill their role, and that as mortal belief shifts the Gods too shift.

kingcobweb posted:

I'm pretty sure that a Rosewater has hinted at "villains collide" as a future story arc, but maybe he just acknowledged it as a possibility??

Maro's commented about it, yeah.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

zanmatto posted:

Turn 5-6, tap and then pay 18 life?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

change my name posted:

Turn 5-6, tap and then pay 18 life?

Lightning bolt.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Lightning bolt.

Even better, Shock.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

zanmatto posted:

Better yet:

0 casting cost.

When Emrakul, Phyrexian World Razer comes into play, you lose 30 life.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Boxman posted:

Better yet:

0 casting cost.

When Emrakul, Phyrexian World Razer comes into play, you lose 30 life.

T1: Island, Emrakul, Phyrexian World Razer, Stifle his ETB trigger.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

whydirt posted:

Not gonna lie, a block that's about the gods of Theros vs. Nicol Bolas, the Eldrazi, or the Phyrexians sounds boss as hell.

Good. Hope Heliod gets his rear end beat.

Elspeth. :angel:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jenx posted:

Oh god. It's the new Stiflenaught!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zorak posted:

Good Uncharted Realms, pretty interesting how Kruphix is basically Keeping It Real. Also interesting that he outright says that none of the current gods of Theros are necessarily the first to fill their role, and that as mortal belief shifts the Gods too shift.

The funny part is that means the people of Theros all basically think of Heliod as this massive backstabbing dickhead right? The god is formed by the mortals belief...

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
Haven't we also seen a couple references that indicate that the Eldrazi could have some kind of relationship with Theros too?

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
Hell, Gold is just like the Theros version of an Eldrazi Spawn.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Eldrazi come to Theros, immediately become petty jerks who demand constant adulation and throw complete bitch-fits the second someone stops paying attention to them, while also being the strangest things on the planet.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Wtgamerz posted:

Loving this deck so far, but I'm still confused with the sideboard. (friend suggested the sideboard) Against what decks should I really sub in the creatures, and what cards might be right to take out? Or is the sideboard question something I just have to determine when I face certain decks at FNM?

Deck: rw 2

//Lands
4 Mana Confluence
11 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
2 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Wild Guess

//Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

//Sideboard
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Dictate of the Twin Gods
4 Satyr Firedancer
2 Wear
2 Act of Treason

Display deck statistics

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572508

Quick notes:
- Buy Mutavaults. Replace 2 Confluence and 2 Mountain.
- Wild Guess is garbage. I play 2 Young Pyromaster in the slot, it is Much Better (until people start main decking Golgari Charm)
- Firedrinker Satyr tech is dead. Eidolon of the Great Revel is such a threat that opponents are bringing in removal, opposed to pre-JOU where they'd side out removal because of Phoenix.
- Satyr Firedancer is for aggro matchups where they have little removal, notably mono Blue, but it's better than Eidolon in the red and black aggro matchups.
- Harness by Force is much better than Act of Treason, the 6 mana play is highly relevant. It's a cheap rare, buy/trade for them.
- Fill rest of Sideboard with cards to beat green decks, notably Jund Monsters. Maybe Burning Earth, maybe Toil//Trouble, who knows.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 11, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's only one reason to ever consider doing theros vs new phyrexia, that reason is how cool the words "devotion to phyrexia" on a card would be.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Entropic posted:

I'd think they'd be more wary at this point about wasting evocative single-word card names on bad limited fodder.
See the most egregious recent offender, Lightning Strike.

Pharohman777 posted:

You should really read the latest Uncharted Realms.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

It turns out that Kruphix knows everything in theros... and when planeswalkers come to theros, he gets their knowlege.
Recent planeswalker arrivals have given Kruphix much to think about.
Elspeth knew a ton about Phyrexia and the oil when she went to theros.
Ajani knew of Nicol Bolas ambitions.
Kiora knows of the Eldrazi and what they do to worlds.

All this worries Kruphix.
He fears he will be powerless to stop these threats should they arrive on theros.
Pretty interesting, I wonder if we'll revisit Theros or if it'll just be referenced later when Elspeth inevitably comes back (at least, she'd better) :angry: . Also Kruphix seems like a chill-rear end god, just takin a walk with his prophet oracle. The part about older, forgotten gods was a neat touch too. They could have done some pretty interesting stuff with that aspect, but that's too complex to communicate in Magic I think.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jenx posted:

Whoops, forgot about legacy. Print it anyway. :getin:

mcnealys baby posted:

Haven't we also seen a couple references that indicate that the Eldrazi could have some kind of relationship with Theros too?

Are you thinking of that part in the ebook where Kiora casually namedrops Cosi and Ajani goes "wait what?"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zero_Grade posted:

Is that really worse than "Starfall" as a bad limited card that is also unreprintable for mechanical reasons outside of a Return to Theros?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zero_Grade posted:

What's wrong with Lightning Strike? It does exactly what you would expect a card called Lightning Strike to do and is super-reprintable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

What's wrong with Lightning Strike? It does exactly what you would expect a card called Lightning Strike to do and is super-reprintable.

Really, it's Searing Spear that's the problem card. Kind of unfortunate that that's the one that came first.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah, the fact that it's just a functional reprint of Searing Spear* is the issue I was getting at. They could have done something more interesting with a great name like that.

*(which is itself a worse Lightning Bolt, but that's considered too strong these days)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

I'm pretty sure that a Rosewater has hinted at "villains collide" as a future story arc, but maybe he just acknowledged it as a possibility??

What about the Future Sight story arc where Nicol Bolas and Leshrac fought? :v:.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah, the fact that it's just a functional reprint of Searing Spear* is the issue I was getting at. They could have done something more interesting with a great name like that.

*(which is itself a worse Lightning Bolt, but that's considered too strong these days)

Oh its not too strong at all, but it is incredibly strong. The metagame will warp entirely around its existence. We have Thoughtseize for that now, and I am happy we only have to deal with a single format-warmping CMC 1 card in standard at a time. Lightning Bolt will be reprinted, but sparingly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lightening bolt is my favorite card and I want it back in standard again :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

forbidden lesbian posted:

Lightening bolt

That sounds like a really bad white damage prevention card or something.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

forbidden lesbian posted:

Lightening bolt is my favorite card and I want it back in standard again :(

"Lightening Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player. A creature dealt damage this way gains flying until end of turn."

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
"Enlightening Bolt - Target creature gains "Tap, draw two cards then discard a card" until end of turn."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How is there not an un-card named Lightening Bolt already?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Vomax posted:

"Lightening Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player. A creature dealt damage this way gains flying until end of turn."

I want the hell out of this card

E: flavor text: And the lightening is really the most shocking part.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vomax posted:

This would be my new favorite card if it was made, making my typo retroactively correct.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There should be an equipment that gives flying called Lightening Belt.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

There should be an equipment that gives flying called Lightening Belt.

Sounds like something a humorous DM would dump on a party in D&D.

"You put on the belt and immediately begin to float upward like a balloon."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

That would be a great un-set cycle:

Lighting Bolt
Thoughtsize
Black Vase
Smockstack

etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's already Bronze Colander.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

That would be a great un-set cycle:

Lighting Bolt
Thoughtsize
Black Vase

etc.

They could easily be printable cards. A lot of people hate funny cards like Hot Soup but I think there's a place for them.

Words to Plowshares
Dork Ritual
Heating Salve

Chamale fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 11, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Stab posted:

Smockstack

All I'm seeing is paint. Paint everywhere. :allears:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Teeth and Nail
Aborting Pod

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This would actually be really evil because it would inevitable get people in trouble at tournaments for misspelling Lightning Bolt or Thoughtseize, but it would be hilarious.

Who's running the card design contest? "Change one letter" would be a fun idea for the next round.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Black POTUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Liliana of the Veal

• Locked thread