Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think it has more to do with a) Nintendo wanting to offer more female character choices, and b) Koizumi and the others at EAD Tokyo created her and have personally pushed for her to show up in more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I still cant get over how fun Splatoon looks.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Darth TNT posted:

edit:
I forgot, but why Amiibo? Why not just Amiigo? :(

Ugh, that'd be a little on the nose, doncha think?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Curse everyone's bad taste. :argh:
I just bought Bayonetta 1 for the PS3 so I could try it out before number 2 hit. :argh: What a waste of money. :(

edit:
I forgot, but why Amiibo? Why not just Amiigo? :(

It could be some trademark thing, Amiigo might be not distinct enough for it to hold up in court, compared to say: [knock-off brand] Amigo. But it's a horrible name.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

I've been thinking about this for all of two minutes, but is the amount of love Rosalina is seeing in Wii U games almost hinting at an eventually Galaxy title being announced? Is that wishful thinking? For example, we didn't see much Sunshine nods on Wii games aside from Mario Kart levels (if I'm not mistaken), but we see a lot of Rosalina.

I would say Bowser Jr. is roughly equivalent to Rosalina in terms of new character introduction, and he's gotten lots of airtime since.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

noirstronaut posted:

Does that mean this one is all a dream?

I think I'm going to wind up buying both Mario/Peach branded classic controllers and also the official Nintendo GC controller remake. I like controllers.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

I just bought Bayonetta 1 for the PS3 so I could try it out before number 2 hit. :argh: What a waste of money. :(

The PS3 port is remarkably terrible, you really should either wait for the bundled version (presumably it'll be good) or trade for the 360 release.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I would say Bowser Jr. is roughly equivalent to Rosalina in terms of new character introduction, and he's gotten lots of airtime since.

Also they keep putting Daisy in things but I don't think they're making another Mario game set in Sarasaland any time soon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Nintendo has the public image advantage of having the friendliest looking dudes in the world working for them. I'd watch a sitcom starring Reggie, Miyamoto and Sakurai.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Nintendo has the public image advantage of having the friendliest looking dudes in the world working for them. I'd watch a sitcom starring Reggie, Miyamoto and Sakurai.

Reggie weirds me out. He's like a baby-face version of Marv from Sin City. Miyamoto and Sakurai definitely though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Miyamoto, Iwata and Shibata are all awesome (also I'm embarrassed to know who they are).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Let's also not forget Sakurai who just gets cuter every year. :3:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

JordanKai posted:

The Curious Case of Masahiro Sakurai

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

JordanKai posted:

:eyepop:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wow I would never have guessed Sakurai is 44. He looks like he's in his late 20s.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

Wow I would never have guessed Sakurai is 44. He looks like he's in his late 20s.
Funnily enough, judging from those pictures, he DID look 44 (or at least, like someone in his mid-to-late thirties) when he WAS in his twenties.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Man I was sold on Captain Toad before I even knew it was born from special levels in 3D World. That game looks ridiculous amounts of cute and fun.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

noirstronaut posted:

I've been thinking about this for all of two minutes, but is the amount of love Rosalina is seeing in Wii U games almost hinting at an eventually Galaxy title being announced? Is that wishful thinking? For example, we didn't see much Sunshine nods on Wii games aside from Mario Kart levels (if I'm not mistaken), but we see a lot of Rosalina.

I think it's really a marketing thing. It sort of dawned on me when I realized that my wife, a lifelong tomboy, always picks Daisy. They are trying to appeal to more diverse female audience, Peach is a girly girl who likes dresses and pink things, Daisy is a tomboy who likes sports and Rosalina is the goth/Emo-type. I know this sounds absolutely retarded, but I can't unsee it. I'm waiting for them to introduce a manic pixie dream girl who gives Mario the clap and steals his car to go to South America and find herself.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 11, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I'm waiting for them to introduce a manic pixie dream girl who gives Mario the clap and steals his car to go to South America and find herself.

Birdo?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think it's really a marketing thing. It sort of dawned on me when I realized that my wife, a lifelong tomboy, always picks Daisy. They are trying to appeal to more diverse female audience, Peach is a girly girl who likes dresses and pink things, Daisy is a tomboy who likes sports and Rosalina is the goth/Emo-type. I know this sounds absolutely retarded, but I can't unsee it. I'm waiting for them to introduce a manic pixie dream girl who gives Mario the clap and steals his car to go to South America and find herself.

That made sense until Rosalina is apparently goth? Wtf?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

PantsBandit posted:

Probably more emo. I'm not prepared to get into a retarded slapfight over it.

A google search shows I'm not the only one who seems to think that's the direction they're going:

https://www.google.ca/search?client...afe=off&spell=1

(I know, it's a bunch of retarded kids on forums)

*Edit* Plus she's a heavyweight in Mario Kart and we all know goth chicks are fat as all hell. :haw:

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 11, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Rosalina is the goth/Emo-type.

HUH?!

How the hell do you get goth/emo type from Rosalina?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

After MK8 and the recent flood of awesome Nintendo/Wii U news I decided to finally grab a pro controller. It's... a lot better than I ever expected. It has to be one of the most solid feeling controllers I own and it's quite comfy now that I'm getting used to it. What games work well for further learning the controller? I've got just about every big Wii U release.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TaurusOxford posted:

HUH?!

Well her hair covers her eye, and that's the only thing you need to be emo (and goth and emo are obviously synonyms)

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

TaurusOxford posted:

HUH?!

i don't necessarily agree, but i get where he's coming from. The character design, especially the hairstyle/pose feels like it could potentially be riffing off an avril lavigne type look without getting into the ripped stockings and leather jackets.

not so much goth, but i get ya.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, goth is not the right word to use, but emo (or maybe hipster?) fits pretty well I'd say.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

hahahaha

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rosalina's archetype is clearly Cool Mom.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Soft Princess Grunge, clearly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Soft Princess Grunge, clearly.

Coincidentally also my favorite music genre.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

JordanKai posted:

I see that Sakurai has received the same genome therapy that Hideo Kojima has.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah Rosalina has that "Evanescence music video" type of look, so I could get the goth thing. No dark hair or makeup but I'm sure there's some silly sub-sect of goth that she'd qualify for.

Topic... my best gamer bud is a real statistical oddity, in that he's loved Mario games all his life but just can't get into 3D World (we had a blast playing NSMBU together). My fiancee dabbles in a few game but has no interest in Mario. My sister loved what she played of 3D World, but she lives 10 hours away. It seems fate has decided I must not know the joys of multiplayer 3D World... oh well at least the game rocks in single player.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

This totally made me lol.

Also, the goth character in the world of Nintendo is totally Wendy O. Koopa.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo Treehouse is on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX1lyVtQYCM

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

enojy posted:

If the guy in the trailer really isn't Link (it's Link,) I'd sooner expect to see a double feature (along the lines of Link's wolf form in Twilight Princess) than a completely different lone protagonist in a Zelda game. Sounds like way too much of a gamble when this game is slated to be one of the few big guns that the Wii U desperately needs. Of course, canonically, each game's Link is supposed to be a different person, but I don't think anyone actually plays along with that.

Am I the only person who thought for a few seconds after the cloak was thrown away that it was Zelda, herself, with the bow? I could see them trying to go even further with the intent from Skyward Sword of having Zelda play an active role rather than being the damsel in distress. Maybe this time around she's actually joining Link on the adventure and will be the archer to his swordsman? Or maybe they'll incite riots among the fanboys and throw a whole generation of clueless parents for a loop by making Zelda the main protagonist for once!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Strange Matter posted:

I see that Sakurai has received the same genome therapy that Hideo Kojima has.

As well as Jojo author Hirohiko Araki.

I bet they're all vampires :tinfoil:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

These two 3DS chics need to stop talking over each other.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

tidiox posted:

Am I the only person who thought for a few seconds after the cloak was thrown away that it was Zelda, herself, with the bow?

I think a lot of people thought that. I'm more curious why he/she is wearing Ganondorf's arm things. Maybe it's a Ganondorf origin story?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
What is this 3DS game currently on the Nintendo Treehouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

After MK8 and the recent flood of awesome Nintendo/Wii U news I decided to finally grab a pro controller. It's... a lot better than I ever expected. It has to be one of the most solid feeling controllers I own and it's quite comfy now that I'm getting used to it. What games work well for further learning the controller? I've got just about every big Wii U release.

Does the Pro controller have any motion control aspect to it? I usually hate waggle controls(ruined Skyward Sword :argh: ), but a quick flick of the controller when going off jumps in MK8 is just ingrained in me now and it would feel weird changing that to a button press.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread