Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They look to be playing some sort of Mexican Muramasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Double post

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The announcer for the treehouse thing keeps pronouncing "Guacamelee" as "Guacamealie".

Ugghhhh, so does one of the developers. But the other developer is pronouncing it correctly.

Edit: Currently this is a new Guacamelee game, but I don't know what the last game was (the one that looked like Animal Crossing), and the announcer girl didn't say the name when they signed off. She just said "This game will be available..."

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I thought everything about this new Link seemed woman-ly except for the lack of a bust. The character seems scrawny and small-framed (even more than your usual anime male-tininess). I think it'd be cool if it was Link's sister, after the real Link gets killed off in the opening moments of the game since Ganondorf is likely on to the endless cycle of reincarnation at this point (think of the bible story of the king killing all of the the babies in an attempt to kill the messiah before the birth of Jesus), and trying to live up to the name and responsibility behind it and disguising herself as a boy so people won't catch on that she's not actually the hero and in the process, becoming the hero afterall. It would also fit the need for a wider, more complex story in a large Skyrim-type game.

Could be some good deconstruction on the Zelda myth that's due considering Skyward Sword gave us the origin story.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 11, 2014

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Chaltab posted:

What is this 3DS game currently on the Nintendo Treehouse?

That was Fantasy Life which looks like it's a pretty good Rune Factory type of RPG from Level 5. It's out in October in NA.

Chronojam posted:

They look to be playing some sort of Mexican Muramasa.

Actually, it's a "Luchador Metroidvania," thank you. It's a Wii U port of a critically (and goon) acclaimed game from last year.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fremry posted:

The announcer for the treehouse thing keeps pronouncing "Guacamelee" as "Guacamealie".

Ugghhhh, so does one of the developers. But the other developer is pronouncing it correctly.

Edit: Currently this is a new Guacamelee game, but I don't know what the last game was (the one that looked like Animal Crossing), and the announcer girl didn't say the name when they signed off. She just said "This game will be available..."

It was Fantasy Life by Level 5.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does the Pro controller have any motion control aspect to it? I usually hate waggle controls(ruined Skyward Sword :argh: ), but a quick flick of the controller when going off jumps in MK8 is just ingrained in me now and it would feel weird changing that to a button press.

There is no motion tech stuff in the Pro Controller.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rirse posted:

It was Fantasy Life by Level 5.

Thanks. I haaaaaate when announcers/hosts end a segment without giving the information of what you are looking at/listening to.

Edit: Ugggghhh, she did it again for Guacamelee. Just signed off to start a new segment giving details on the release of the game, but not telling you what the game was.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 11, 2014

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Dishwasher posted:

I thought everything about this new Link seemed woman-ly except for the lack of a bust. The character seems scrawny and small-framed (even more than your usual anime male-tininess). I think it'd be cool if it was Link's sister, after the real Link gets killed off in the opening moments of the game since Ganondorf is likely on to the endless cycle of reincarnation at this point (think of the bible story of the king killing all of the the babies in an attempt to kill the messiah before the birth of Jesus), and trying to live up to the name and responsibility behind it and disguising herself as a boy so people won't catch on that she's not actually the hero and in the process, becoming the hero afterall. It would also fit the need for a wider, more complex story in a large Skyrim-type game.

Could be some good deconstruction on the Zelda myth that's due considering Skyward Sword gave us the origin story.

while they've never shied away from inexplicably removing a womans breasts when it suits their designs (e.g. Zelda/Shiek in OoT) i really didn't get a feminine vibe from this character, just the usual anime androgyny.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Guacamelee was 2013's best game, the new version will be this year's.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Yeah after looking at the stills long enough it certainly looks like a male Link to me.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nintendo sells refurbed Wii U's plus nintendoland for $200.

worth it? It even says on the page "YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED BY OUR HIGH REFURB STANDARDS" but that makes me distrust it even more.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mortimer posted:

worth it? It even says on the page "YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED BY OUR HIGH REFURB STANDARDS" but that makes me distrust it even more.

People in this thread say it's practically new. They've inspected the casing of the console and gamepad thoroughly and have only found fingerprints, but that can't be helped because the glossy finish attracts fingerprints from the dark side of Mars.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I've yet to hear any negative opinions on the refurb units if that helps. And there is usually negative opinions on EVERYTHING Nintendo related.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mortimer posted:

I've been looking at this as well, but I want to point out because I just noticed it today, that unlike the deluxe edition, it doesn't come with a wiimote. It also doesn't come with the stands, but I don't really care about those.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mortimer posted:

I heard that they're pretty much out of stock at this point, and if you didn't put your order in weeks ago you might be waiting awhile for them to ship it. But the people that have got them seem happy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mortimer posted:

It's worth it and you absolutely will be impressed by the quality of their refurbs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

I've been looking at this as well, but I want to point out because I just noticed it today, that unlike the deluxe edition, it doesn't come with a wiimote. It also doesn't come with the stands, but I don't really care about those.
Regular Deluxes don't come with Wiimotes, that's just the MK8 and maybe some other bundle. If you're gonna buy a Wiimote and MK8 and one of the other free games appeals to you, that bundle is a really good deal actually. I ended up going with that instead of buying a refurb.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

I've yet to hear any negative opinions on the refurb units if that helps. And there is usually negative opinions on EVERYTHING Nintendo related.

They're fine and work. There's no RROD issues.

Only thing is the Wii-U tablet black plastic picks up finger prints easily, that and if you play it for long enough you start to see dead skin deposits where you put your hands on the tablet. That's probably the only negative.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo's refurb items really are in super great shape. I've ordered some Wiimote/Nunchuk combos and a 3DS XL from them, and everything was indistinguishable from new.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Only thing is the Wii-U tablet black plastic picks up finger prints easily, that and if you play it for long enough you start to see dead skin deposits where you put your hands on the tablet. That's probably the only negative.

Gross as it may be, I don't think I've ever used a controller that didn't have a dead skin deposit where the two halves of the casing come together. Just get a toothpick or something and dig it out every so often.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo's refurb items really are in super great shape. I've ordered some Wiimote/Nunchuk combos and a 3DS XL from them, and everything was indistinguishable from new.

Same, I picked up the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo too and they were immaculate. It's Apple levels of refurbished.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

Gross as it may be, I don't think I've ever used a controller that didn't have a dead skin deposit where the two halves of the casing come together. Just get a toothpick or something and dig it out every so often.

No they appear on the surface of the tablet usually next to the controller sticks, you can see the outline of the palm in dead skin.

I have no idea what makes the black wii-u plastic do this, but it's strange.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mortimer posted:

I bought one and it was perfectly "brand new", packaging and all (except you don't get a retail box, rather, an OEM-looking box that says refurbished on it.) Not a single external sign that it had ever been touched by non-gloved hands. Nintendoland was also sealed and seemingly untouched.

It also should get you 160 Club Nintendo coins despite saying otherwise (worked automatically for me, YMMV.)

Beyond that, the only two differences are the discreet "refurbished" stickers on the backs of the gamepad and console, and the package doesn't come with the charging cradle and stand, which costs a whopping $6 or less.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 11, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It has nice water.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Taint Reaper posted:

No they appear on the surface of the tablet usually next to the controller sticks, you can see the outline of the palm in dead skin.

I have no idea what makes the black wii-u plastic do this, but it's strange.
It's just the Wii U plastic in general, since it happens on the white one as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't understand why Nintendo insists on the glossy plastic for their products. Why not just use the matte finish like on the 3DS XL?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Smash Bro roster is getting downright bizarre at this point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/yoshis-wooly-world/

Yesss Yoshi's Woolly World is coming out in early 2015 :holy:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yoshi's Wooly World is one of my most anticipated games coming out of E3. It looks like the Yoshi's Island 2 that I always wanted! :allears:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Just wanted to repost this saying I just got back from buying the game for $10 at Best Buy. Of course they didn't care enough to put up any $9.99 sale signs, leaving it marked as $29.99. But it came up as $9.99 on register.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I'm going to get MK8 pretty soon, and I need to decide what game to get, and right now it's a choice between Pikmin and WW. I already have Wind Waker for gamecube, so should I just get Pikmin, or is WWHD significantly better?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LethalGeek posted:

Smash Bro roster is getting downright bizarre at this point.

It can still get much weirder. We have yet to get Eighties Robot, 2D Silhouette, two Telekinetic Boys, and Pink Balloon Fairy back from the previous games, for one.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Music Theory posted:

I'm going to get MK8 pretty soon, and I need to decide what game to get, and right now it's a choice between Pikmin and WW. I already have Wind Waker for gamecube, so should I just get Pikmin, or is WWHD significantly better?

WW HD is a fantastic remake, but if you've played it before it's something you can hold off on.

Pikmin 3 is brilliant...debatably the best game on the Wii U. I highly recommend it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hope they add that dinosaur fucker from 3D World to Smash.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Music Theory posted:

WWHD includes a few quality of life features, like faster sailing and a Triforce hunt that isn't tedious. You can also take selfies in it. If you have a backwards compatible Wii though, you can do some homebrew magic and play the original Wind Waker on your Wii U, provided you have a classic controller, PS3 controller or a Wii U Pro Controller (maybe).

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

less laughter posted:

It can still get much weirder. We have yet to get Eighties Robot, 2D Silhouette, two Telekinetic Boys, and Pink Balloon Fairy back from the previous games, for one.

they confirmed 2D silhouette last night alongside pacman

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
So is the US box art for Adorable Clay Kirby going to still give him angry eyebrows?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ruggington posted:

Oh, awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Ruggington posted:

Now now, he wasn't quite CONFIRMED. Just because Mr. Game & Watch appeared in the Pac Man trailer doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a fighter again.

But it seems likely.

• Locked thread