Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the front page of the Telegraph for the past two days has been spruiking the idea. It's a matter of time, given both sides want to do it whenever they're in government, and both oppose it when they're not.

At least they want to do something half-decent with the proceeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I had a look in my wallet today but all my money had been recycled.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

IIRC the Government made less from the Telstra sale than they would have received in dividends by now right? Does that include factors like how the government wouldn't have had to then pay Telstra to replace its assets with NBN stuff?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Don't forget Howard's gold. The 167 tonnes pushed the world gold price down to an 11-year low, returning just $2.4bn for the gold that was sold via a single broker engaged without a tender.

It'd be worth around $4.5 billion more at today's prices.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Senor Tron posted:

IIRC the Government made less from the Telstra sale than they would have received in dividends by now right? Does that include factors like how the government wouldn't have had to then pay Telstra to replace its assets with NBN stuff?
The sales raised about 27 billion, and the Future Fund retains a 16% share, IIRC. It's not as bad as the CSL privatisation, which raised something like $240 million in 1994. A 50%+1 shareholding in CSL today would pay that much every 9 months in dividends.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Pred1ct posted:

When will voters learn to tell governments to gently caress off when they try to privatise assets? The new waeslewords are 'asset recycling', watch for more recycling to come. There is now a false equivalence that governments apparently cannot raise money without selling the house.

Governments will just laugh and say they know better if the uppity proles say anything about it. Didn't this already happen in QLD?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those On My Left posted:

Ken Smith has just announced he won't support the expulsion of Geoff Shaw. He's only getting suspended and fined.
There was mention this morning that Smith was getting cold feet, I guess Naptime told him to simmer down unless Smith wants to be known as the one who got the Liberals out of power. Surprised that Smith gave a poo poo considering he hates Shaw and Smith is retiring after this current term.

11 sitting days suspension, which means Shaw is out till September. Only 11 days between now and September? Lazy fucks.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pred1ct posted:

I didn't see this posted yet - Baird want's to sell off 49% of the 'poles and wires' of NSW electricity network.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/premier-stakes-reelection-on-partsale-of-electricity-assets-20140610-39vp1.html

So the 20 billion is actually only 13 billion for the assets, plus what the federal government kicks in and investing the proceeds in NSW's 'infrastructure fund'.

And the government will forgo the 1 billion a year in network dividends.

When will voters learn to tell governments to gently caress off when they try to privatise assets? The new waeslewords are 'asset recycling', watch for more recycling to come. There is now a false equivalence that governments apparently cannot raise money without selling the house.

Please stop privatising things, especially profitable things, you idiot tories.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Daily Telegraph says it'll save heaps on electricity bills, and that we pay union workers (associated with NSW Labor leader John Robertson) too much. And that price rises in privatised states have been heaps less than in NSW.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Edit: ^Victoria is screaming out for linesmen now after neglecting maintenance for so long. I'd take a wild guess they're earning more then their NSW counterparts now.

Senor Tron posted:

They probably assumed that privatising would result in fiber and what ever else because private companies run better.

In reality it depends on the industries. Communication when you're opening up competition, can make sense. Public transport and other monopolies, less so.

Electricity is the great example. Victoria pretty much had ten years of no maintenance due to privatisation and now is playing catch up with big expenses. Infrastructure that the public really relies on should really stay in public hands if for no other reason that it can go without making a profit to assists its customers.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Daily Telegraph says it'll save heaps on electricity bills, and that we pay union workers (associated with NSW Labor leader John Robertson) too much. And that price rises in privatised states have been heaps less than in NSW.

Ah yes, let's all pay more for electricity in the medium term (see Victoria) while at the same time paying the actual workers less.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I was curious as to how they were misrepresenting things. I naturally assumed they were, but they made a decent enough case that I couldn't pick it apart just by looking at it and thinking for 5 seconds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's something to be said about our desire to compare the federal budget to a household budget, and the fact that we want to privatise the poo poo out of everything while simultaneously sitting on investment properties forever. But I'll be damned if I can make it work.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Auspol! Enjoy the fake troll account of a man who is pro-capital, 1pro-environment and pro-legalised pot, whilst anti-islam, anti-immigration, and anti-oil company!

https://www.facebook.com/john.citizen.98871174?fref=ufi

It's like all your worst Greenie dreams came true. Can't wait 'til he turns up at your local branch meeting.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

There was mention this morning that Smith was getting cold feet, I guess Naptime told him to simmer down unless Smith wants to be known as the one who got the Liberals out of power. Surprised that Smith gave a poo poo considering he hates Shaw and Smith is retiring after this current term.

11 sitting days suspension, which means Shaw is out till September. Only 11 days between now and September? Lazy fucks.

To be honest, I'm really not sure how to feel about this. Shaw's misconduct was pretty awful but expelling a democratically elected member from parliament is pretty much the harshest measure the parliament has available to it - the only harsher measure that I can think of is imprisonment. I tend to think he should have been expelled but am honestly not 100% sure.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Cleretic posted:

There's something to be said about our desire to compare the federal budget to a household budget, and the fact that we want to privatise the poo poo out of everything while simultaneously sitting on investment properties forever. But I'll be damned if I can make it work.

'Australians are economically illiterate and easily led, and will rush to vote for whomever pretends to be the most like them - no matter how inauthentic the veneer'

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 11, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

To be honest, I'm really not sure how to feel about this. Shaw's misconduct was pretty awful but expelling a democratically elected member from parliament is pretty much the harshest measure the parliament has available to it - the only harsher measure that I can think of is imprisonment. I tend to think he should have been expelled but am honestly not 100% sure.

I get the impression people would rather just wait for the election rather than risk doing something unpredictable.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Nuclear Spy posted:

:siren: Adelaide Goons :siren:

For those of you who don't have Facebook, a few of us are planning to do drinks at The Coffee Pot this Thursday at 6:30pm.

So is this still going ahead? What's the plan here?

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

Please stop privatising things, especially profitable things, you idiot tories.

On this topic, the thread might enjoy this episode of Rear Vision:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/infrastructure-australia/5374876

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

AgentF posted:

Yup, show up around 6.30-7, drink and moan.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I get the impression people would rather just wait for the election rather than risk doing something unpredictable.

Unpredictability is fun, and it's been genuinely delightful to see the Libs poo poo themselves over this. Also, Shaw is a real piece of work and I don't sympathise with him at all. So from a very base, vindictive point of view, I was really hoping for him to get expelled. Also, it would've been great to see the poo poo hit the fan if Labor had won the by-election simply because it would have exposed a really dumb flaw in Victoria's constitution.

But from a more principled, less political position, I'm genuinely not sure whether he should've been expelled. I tend towards thinking that he should have, but am not sure.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

AgentF posted:

I'll be there!

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
In remembrance of Rik, I'm watching the New Statesman again and rediscovered this gem. The budget speech played out in the past:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgXzH1trWc&t=340s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Treasurer Joe Hockey has lashed out at critics of his first budget, saying claims his policies are ''unfair'' were reminiscent of ''class warfare'' from the 1970s.

In a spirited speech at the Sydney Institute, Mr Hockey on Wednesday night said the view that his budget would exacerbate inequality was unfounded and criticism of his budget strategy was ''political in nature''.

Mr Hockey has also defended some of his budget's most controversial measures - such as the $7 GP co-payment and unregulated university fees - saying they do not spell the end of universal healthcare or restrict access to education.

Advertisement

''The government is open to criticism and debate about our budget. However, we owe it to the community to set the facts straight and articulate the reasoning behind our decisions,'' the Treasurer said.

''Criticism of our strategy has been political in nature and has drifted to 1970s class warfare lines, claiming the budget is 'unfair' or that the 'rich don't contribute enough'.

''I would argue that the comments about inequality in Australia are largely misguided, both from an historical perspective, and from the perspective of the budget.''

Mr Hockey said concerns about the demise of universal healthcare or higher education accessibility invoked mantras that reopened debates ''that were had, and lost, 30 years ago.''

''Universal healthcare has not been free to the consumer since before I was born,'' he said.

''Higher education has not been free since Labor introduced fees in 1987.''

The Treasurer said his first budget was based on the premise that it is fair to expect those who have the capacity to pay should accept more personal responsibility for their cost of living, the cost of raising their children, their health services and their education.''

''And it is unfair to keep a system intact that is clearly not encouraging participation and personal responsibility.''

Mr Hockey said the OECD says income distribution from taxpayers to tax receivers in Australia was more comprehensive and broader ''than any other country in the world''.

He highlighted Youth Allowance, the Age and Service pensions, and the disability support pension as four payments that contributed to this culture of welfare.

''[And] it should not be taboo to question whether everyone is entitled to these payments,'' Mr Hockey said.

It was not the job of government to pursue equality of outcomes but equality of opportunities, he said.

''It is not the role of government to use the taxation and welfare system as a tool to 'level the playing field'. We must use the levers of government to help those who are vulnerable and frail.

''But a just and fair society must not seek to penalise those who aspire to be better. We must reward the lifters and discourage the leaners,'' he said.

''This is what the budget sets out to do and this is what the government is determined to achieve.''

In other words: moochers, looters and parasites.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Age pension contributes to the culture of welfare :allears:

It seems weird, aren't pensioners normally more of a sacred cow (at least in rhetoric)?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Age pension contributes to the culture of welfare :allears:

It seems weird, aren't pensioners normally more of a sacred cow (at least in rhetoric)?

Hell he went after the Service Pension aka ARE TROOPS, apparently the way to fight a class warfare argument is to make it you vs everyone else.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Higher education and healthcare has never been free so why should it matter if we triple prices?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

We need to help lifters and penalise leaners. This is best achieved by lowering the medium wage and slashing conditions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nibbles141 posted:

We need to help lifters and penalise leaners. This is best achieved by lowering the medium wage and slashing conditions.

Can't lean if there's nothing to lean on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So the public are angry and horrified at this budget and their response is to pretend its some political thing from the 70's? Thats some serious projection going on, and especially when they couldn't care less about participation and responsibility unless its their mates and their money.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
turns out City of Melbourne has more extreme Housing density than Hong Kong at the moment:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/melbournes-housing-density-more-extreme-than-hong-kong-council-says

quote:

In a grim report card on new housing in the city, Melbourne city council's draft housing policy has found that dwellings in new developments are too small, lack adequate natural light, ventilation and privacy, and are pricing out poor and middle-class families.

Some new developments had densities greater than 5,000 dwellings per hectare, up to four times the legal limit in Sydney, New York and Hong Kong, and ten times what is permitted in London.

About four in ten of Melbourne's newest one-bedroom apartments were smaller than the minimum size allowed in Sydney, Adelaide and London, the council found.

I'm sure no one will guess why this happened!

quote:

The council pinned the blame for shrinking apartment sizes on tax structures that favour investors, who bought 85% of new apartments, over the interests of renters.

But at least the council is proposing to make 15% of all new developments in urban in growth areas be put aside for affordable housing.
Not sure if that will happen (I'm guessing not a chance in hell) but one can hope. Melbourne city council do seem at least somewhat decent, as Australian government goes at least, as far as I can tell.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 11, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nah, they're saying that the critics have thinking decades out of date.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah, they're saying that the critics have thinking decades out of date.

That's the projection part, because their own thinking is rooted in whatever excited them as student politicians, probably Thatcher, it goes right back to then. It's the kind of argument they think they can win, not the one they actually need to have.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ewe2 posted:

That's the projection part, because their own thinking is rooted in whatever excited them as student politicians, probably Thatcher, it goes right back to then. It's the kind of argument they think they can win, not the one they actually need to have.

I was thinking about linking it back to their student politics days, but some of them (Hockey, Pyne and Morrison notably) were students in the mid/late 80s.

fake edit: wait, Morrison is younger than Pyne?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

These aren't people who have too much interaction with the real world. At least some labor members come from union backgrounds, Hockey doesn't know what life is like for a factory worker living on $600 a week.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Re: privatisation, I remember hearing a story from some guys who used to work on (I think) the F-111 program in the RAAF. Sometime in the late 90s / early 2000s they privatised the support contracts for the planes. Whoever the contractor was immediately poached all the RAAF engineers that worked on the planes with the incentive of an immediate 20% pay rise. No-one could figure out how the privatisation idea got through: supply costs are the same, the contracts had been written to ensure the same level of support, labour costs were 20% higher, and the contractor was no-doubt making some bank.

Turns out the cost benefit analysis for privatisation included all the costs of training engineers from scratch on the ledger of the government. In some cases this is pretty goddamn expensive, especially for some of the electronic and avionic systems that need to be retrofitted to a 1960s airframe. So despite the fact that the fleet was scheduled for retirement in less than a decade, the cost benefit analysis stated that personnel costs for the Commonwealth included all education and lifelong training costs, and was something that private enterprise would have to look after in order to continue to fulfill the contract. Of course the contractor didn't bother with training any new engineers and just pocketed the difference.

From memory it came back to bite them in the arse a bit, as the pigs ended up flying a lot longer than originally planned. A lot of the dudes doing avionics were well into their sixties when the airframe was retired, although I guess that with the extension of the life of the fleet the government would have to renegotiate the contract on pretty unfavourable terms: you're not negotiating from a position of strength when you no longer have the expertise to maintain them yourself.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's a case of letting friends get their cut. It's no surprise that when out of government they end up in exuctive positions at these companies. Much like when government jobs are slashed and they just end up contracting the work out and paying more, it's letting some company get a cut at the expense if taxpayers.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Not always. Although it's easy to think of the Libs as moustache-twirling cartoon villains, a lot of them truly believe that they're doing the right thing for Australia. Almost no-one wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm an evil person, let's see what dastardly things I can do today!".

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Labor has done it too. There's no doubt there's thinking of "who do I look after to get something cushy after politics".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Tirade posted:

Almost no-one wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm an evil person, let's see what dastardly things I can do today!".

I like to imagine that this is true and Scott Morrison wakes up every morning thinking "You know what, i'm a gigantic piece of poo poo and I hope somebody will come along and put me out of my misery because i'm too gutless to do it myself"

• Locked thread