Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My wife, I'll pay shipping.

I don't want your wife, I just want you to take my synth. TAKE MY SYNTH, PLEASE

(PS thanks it's totally "your wife's" dude)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
She should fit in a flat rate box. :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

She should fit in a flat rate box. :(

Only if you deflate her first.

Jumping Spider
Dec 13, 2010

"The heavens and the earth may be captured by the mind's eight eyes"

- Spider Buddha

Trig Discipline posted:

Only if you deflate her first.

Dude. gently caress you. :buddy:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
About to piece together a eurorack system and I'm looking to make it play nice / tempo match with compooters..

anyone know any good OSC >><< CV hardware interface gear, or should I stick to midi?

Also, considering this lil' wifi to midi unit: http://wifimidi.com/

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Expert Sleepers stuff is the way to go. If you already have an interface that can put out DC you only need the Silent Way plugins. If you don't they make a few modules that hook up by SPDIF or ADAT.

Definitely avoid MIDI if you don't mind using the computer, putting voltages out as audio is much more accurate.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

breaks posted:

The Expert Sleepers stuff is the way to go. If you already have an interface that can put out DC you only need the Silent Way plugins. If you don't they make a few modules that hook up by SPDIF or ADAT.

Definitely avoid MIDI if you don't mind using the computer, putting voltages out as audio is much more accurate.

That's what people keep saying, but I've never had any issues with MIDI-CV interfaces (I own a Doepfer Dark Link and Vermona qMi). On the other hand, I had people tell me that ES is complicated to use and their plugins are too. It sounds like a great concept though, but in my opinion MIDI plays perfectly fine with a modular for clocks, gates and notes too. If you want smooth parameter automation I can see that you might encounter some stepping at some point, but yeah ... I've never had an issue.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

A heads up for those of you who bought Reaktor on sale recently from NI and paid through Paypal:

I was doing some admin with my bank account and noticed that the £89 payment had been set up, inexplicably, as a monthly direct debit. If I hadn't noticed, NI/Paypal would have started taking £89 out of my account each month indefinitely!.

I'm not sure who's fault or responsibility it is, so I'm not gonna point fingers at either company, but a word of warning to you all...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Also heads up for dudes wanting to dabble in iOS synths, the ipad mini is $100 off at Target right now, down to $199.

Album from the AHNE meet. Octave Cat was probably my favorite mono that was there, I forgot how fun it is to play. Solaris was just sick, the 'pages' brought out to their own spots is an awesome idea, huge tonal variety. I guess it's kind of half-baked though, the owner said Bowen is still doing hardware redesigns, OS isn't complete, hell a display failed during the meet. Chroma and aptly-named Enabler made a re-appearance, always great. OBX was there but misbehaving, likewise a Multimoog didn't survive the car trip. I didn't get photos of some things, a pair of 303s, octatrack, polygamist, AX80, euro. I'm surprised how little modular showed compared to years past, and all of it euro.

e- 100 off, not $100

Startyde fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 9, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Octave Cat/Kitten is one of my wet dream synths especially if it's an earlier version ARP ripoff.

Can we talk IKEA studio hacks for a minute? I went out and bought 3 IKEA Rast nightstands yesterday to make some quick and dirty (and cheap!) equipment racks. I'm going to order some Raxxess 6u rails to mount inside, there are technically 8u of space you can get out of each unit but I like having 2u of space under the main compartment to stash additional hardware or more racks. I might just place them one next to the other but I'm considering a stack as well (though this seems a bit more dangerous).

I'd like to do something to help manage the cables that will inevitably be exploding out the back of these shelves but I'm wondering what other mods I could approach with this project. Anyone else used the Rast before?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Can we talk IKEA studio hacks for a minute?

I'd like to do something to help manage the cables that will inevitably be exploding out the back of these shelves but I'm wondering what other mods I could approach with this project. Anyone else used the Rast before?

If I remember correctly, the "Lack" series of couch tables, etc. is perfect for 19" rack gear. You can just drill screws into the thick wooden legs/sides.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10198411/

Concerning cables: get a soldering iron and make your own cables with the proper lengths. Having cables spill out of the rack makes things really cumbersome to use and troubleshoot and might also put too much strain on the plugs.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I bought 3 of those Lacks as well but I think I might end up returning them. They looks very nice and the parts feel sturdy enough but the panels are extremely thick and made from particle board. They would be much easier to drill into to mount the side rails (thicker) but the panels take up more room than I'd like on my desk. I'd also worry a bit about the wood insulating some of the heat the rack units will generate.

The Rasts are a lot slimmer and are solid pieces of wood. I'm going to have to figure out the best way to mount the side rails with only 1/2" of wood to anchor screws into but I like the slimmer profile (I will be sitting these on a desk eventually stacked side by side).

On the other hand, if I were building a 20u rack cabinet the Lacks would work out pretty well (you could stick some of the thicker top/bottom pieces on the bottom of the rack to make up for unused space at the floor level and then use some mounting brackets to connect the side walls to each other. I would still worry about how sturdy that unit would end up being (I would probably place a mixer on top of something like that) but it makes for some relatively affordable studio hardware.

I was debating whether or not to go through the trouble but I am going to head to the store and pick up some wood stain to paint the Rasts with. Right now my room smells like lovely pine, soon it will smell like lovely varnish!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
IKEA is rapidly fading out the Lack line, as an FYI.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FLX posted:

If I remember correctly, the "Lack" series of couch tables, etc. is perfect for 19" rack gear. You can just drill screws into the thick wooden legs/sides.
The legs were made of particle board and would never really carry any weight. I've read they've changed them so only the upper quarter is particle board now and the rest is literally geometrically reinforced cardboard.

If it ever was, it's not a good recommendation now. Even way back it was something for that things perfectly fitting into other things tumbler more than anything else.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

breaks posted:

SWEET! This is exactly what I was looking for, THANKS!!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone have any idea how to get the TB-3 to accept start/stop signals? It's right in the manual that it can do it but not even the slightest bit of information on how to make it work.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any idea how to get the TB-3 to accept start/stop signals? It's right in the manual that it can do it but not even the slightest bit of information on how to make it work.

That's usually called transport control or remote control

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

In direct opposition to my last post in this thread, I upgraded from Kontakt to Komplete the other day. I honestly feel like I could use some new tools to gently caress around with and this seems like a logical way to go. Waiting for UPS to drop off the discs, like it's the goddamn 20th century.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

That's usually called transport control or remote control

Yep, I just found out that my transport control sends were off in the A4. Everything is set up now. :buddy:

Edit: LOOK HOW GOOD I'VE BEEN ABOUT CONFRONTING MY GAS

Edit 2: Oh god Ableton is poo poo at not being master :froggonk:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 11, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As someone who works from home, I'm sickly jealous of your view. I get to stare at a row of boring houses while the British weather pours down, day after day.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Edit 2: Oh god Ableton is poo poo

Yea

Nice!

Probably more appropriate for the VST thread but Eventide is giving away (code:09DCA5AC) a channel strip plug until July 8th that will be $249 afterward. No iLok needed but you do have to run their jive license manager soft. Sounds awesome, includes—

quote:

Micro Pitch from the H8000
Stereo Delays

FlexiPath allows drag and drop reordering the signal path of the top section
5-band Parametric EQ
O-Pressor - the compressor section from the Omnipressor with sidechain
Compressor with sidechain and de-essing
Soft Saturation
Transformer emulation
Gate with sidechain

Emphasis mine. Their servers are getting hammered here's a direct download if you were able to get your license but not download. Buy Dan G a beer if you see him at a trade show he's a good guy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

EL BROMANCE posted:

As someone who works from home, I'm sickly jealous of your view. I get to stare at a row of boring houses while the British weather pours down, day after day.

I looked at it and said to myself, wow, Three Olives makes music now?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Managed to track down a Roland MC80. Now I can truly purge myself of general purpose computers. It wasn't a hard choice. I could have bought an iPad mini and some sequencing app for a bit more, but there's a special place in my heart for a dedicated tool. Also gently caress touch screens.

Honestly I am so jarred by DAW workflows that I couldn't bring myself to truly use a computer for jamming / recording. Working with computers my whole life has left a vile film on the desktop that taints my perception. I hate the mouse cursor, and don't want to involve it in any music making. The time that I have spent adjusting piano rolls has felt like an eternity, and I have very little to show for it. I suppose I could have got an old DOS tracker working, but even that would be a chore with USB MIDI. At very least I'd be in a VM/DOSBOX window, and the desktop would forever lurk, waiting to inform me of its pending updates.

Would that I could find an RM1x in decent shape and at a decent price. Everything I have seen is well-used, missing knobs, AND expensive.

Oh well, I don't need another synth. Just a sequencer. So I can record all of my lovely, lovely jams. My wife tells me I need to layer my music more. I'm such a bad keyboardist that I can't even handle getting bass octaves/fifths correct when I'm focusing on the right hand.

Now, surely, this piece of hardware will make me a better musician. It... it just has to.

... GAS? What's that?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Oh you mean F5ing the ads every other minute and then jumping on a Yamaha QY22 offered for $25?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You mean a QY100 for $220 or a QY70 for $180, right?

I can only F5 for so long. Also gently caress silver plastic.

Edit: I would accept silver plastic for the RS-7000 but it's too much machine, and too pricy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

Probably more appropriate for the VST thread but Eventide is giving away (code:09DCA5AC) a channel strip plug until July 8th that will be $249 afterward. No iLok needed but you do have to run their jive license manager soft. Sounds awesome, includes—

Emphasis mine. Their servers are getting hammered here's a direct download if you were able to get your license but not download. Buy Dan G a beer if you see him at a trade show he's a good guy.

Where can I find their license manager? I see that they require iLok account and software.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

net work error posted:

Where can I find their license manager? I see that they require iLok account and software.

Sorry, theirs as in iLok's jive software, not Eventide.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Just got home with a Korg Volca Keys and that's what I call value for money. I'd trade it for a Mopho in a heartbeat though.

sliderule posted:

You mean a QY100 for $220 or a QY70 for $180, right?

I can only F5 for so long. Also gently caress silver plastic.

Edit: I would accept silver plastic for the RS-7000 but it's too much machine, and too pricy.

Those are some expensive QY100s and QY70s even if I were to convert my currency to USD :haw:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MrLonghair posted:

Those are some expensive QY100s and QY70s even if I were to convert my currency to USD :haw:

Those prices are in CAD, so it's not as bad as it seems. But all the F5ing in the world is not going to net me a sequencer for cheap around here.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ahhh it's not that great.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Is there anything out there for DAW / VST Tempo sync waveforms >> CV envelopes?

MOTU Volta looks nice, otherwise maybe just crafting raw audio clips to use as CV?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

MrLonghair posted:

Just got home with a Korg Volca Keys and that's what I call value for money. I'd trade it for a Mopho in a heartbeat though.

FWIW, I haven't been too impressed with the Mopho desktop module. It sounds good, obviously, but it's not at all fun to program. If I could do it again, I'd opt for an MI Shruthi instead.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

treasureplane posted:

I'd opt for an MI Shruthi instead.

I wish MI would officially do an Ambika with the Polivoks filter card. I would be so on that. :circlefap:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
There's a Polivoks Ambika card: http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/3955/ambika-polivoks-voicecard/p1. It's not official but neither was the Ladder filter one and people love the sound of that board. I think Oliver is more interested in developing modular stuff at this point but the MI community has a bunch of hardware designers working on various things.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Panda Time posted:

Is there anything out there for DAW / VST Tempo sync waveforms >> CV envelopes?

MOTU Volta looks nice, otherwise maybe just crafting raw audio clips to use as CV?

The Expert Sleepers plugins (Silent Way) will do that for you, so if you end up getting those anyway...

The other two options you mentioned, Volta and making specialized clips in Live or whatever, work fine too!

You can also build stuff with relative ease in Reaktor or Max if you use either of those. As long as your interface will hold a DC voltage all you really need to do is send stuff out the jack and plug it in to the modular (please check for cabling instructions if you aren't using something intended to plug into a modular, if I remember you need some weird cables in some cases).

The only thing that gets tricky is pitch, because the exact voltage is very important. For that you really want a specialized plugin that can calibrate itself. Volta and Silent Way each have one.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

QY700 sounds perfect for you.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

Managed to track down a Roland MC80. Now I can truly purge myself of general purpose computers...

Not to be a dick but posts like this are mystifying. I mean doing the same thing but with a shittier computer and shittier editing/interface.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

W424 posted:

Not to be a dick but posts like this are mystifying. I mean doing the same thing but with a shittier computer and shittier editing/interface.

See previous thread title: "I could've saved 5000$ and used VSTs but I wanted knobs".

1: it doesn't take that much processing power to do midi sequencing, so the "shittier computer" point is pretty much moot.

2: dedicated, single purpose, interfaces are seldom shittier for doing the one thing they were designed to do even though they may be older or more constrained.

Basically, hardware sequencers work really well and present no obstructions to, or distractions from, sequencing.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Basically, hardware sequencers work really well and present no obstructions to, or distractions from, sequencing.

Yeah probably shouldn't have posted that but I just found hardware (that I've used) to be pain in the rear end for making songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sizone covered most of the bases.

If you had talked to me 10 years ago, I would have agreed: why not use a vastly superior multi-purpose machine? Hell, I would have even advocated developing my own sequencer application if I didn't like the interface of existing products. But living the hell that is IT maintenance, I don't want to touch a desktop/laptop/tablet computer in my off-hours.

Every time I have tried to make music on the computer, it has been a chore. Every time I sit down with the SP-505, I can put my ideas down in no time. The SP-505 does not meet my needs with respect to sequencing, as it is designed to sequence its internal voice banks. So I'm replacing the 505 with something that works better with my hardware is all.

QY700 is right out. There has been a WANTED:QY700 @ $400 ad on Kijiji since the beginning of March. The QY70 only has a single MIDI In/Out, so it's a bit less flexible. Also I really don't need the on-board sound, the on-board styles / accompaniment, the mini keyboard, or the portability. So it's a less than ideal option.

The MC80 fits the functionality bill, but the seller has gone AWOL on me, so I guess I have a little more time to search.