Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

JFairfax posted:

I am the walrus

JFairfax posted:

I am the walrus

The post so trite he made it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

Oh yeah, of course; I don't mean so much that a guy will always get you back and more that if he's going to get you back, he'll probably do it then and there and be done with it rather than wait and plot revenge for next match

this is nonsense, players at all levels can and do wait years to get revenge on a player

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

The post so trite he made it twice.

I was going to say it thrice, or until someone told me to shut the gently caress up

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

I was going to say it thrice, or until someone told me to shut the gently caress up

You're out of your element

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

trem_two posted:

You're out of your element
im thinking of a random gas or CO2 joke here but

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Mr. Mambold posted:

im thinking of a random gas or CO2 joke here but

Life does not stop and start at your convenience you miserable piece of poo poo

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

JFairfax posted:

I am the walrus

I am the eggman

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Thought I'd mention to new viewers that going to a pub/bar to watch a World Cup match is a great experience. It's pretty common to meet groups of ex-pats from the countries that are playing and they are usually happy to tell you about the teams and players.

E: not trolling. Have had tons of fun doing this (in big east coast US city), but it's all fun and games until someone gets stabbed, so proceed with caution I guess.

J Hume fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 11, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

J Hume posted:

Thought I'd mention to new viewers that going to a pub/bar to watch a World Cup match is a great experience. It's pretty common to meet groups of ex-pats from the countries that are playing and they are usually happy to tell you about the teams and players.

I thought this was a no troll zone?

Please don't go get stabbed, goons.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
American checking in, rooting for Germany because they seem p cool and I'm like half German so why not, the other half is Italian so gently caress that.

I'll be semi-rooting for Portugal since I know a lot of Portuguese-Americans and the area I live in has a huge community of them. But mainly I'll just laugh in my friends face every time nani misses a sitter.

Also obviously I'll be rooting for the US when possible but I'm not getting my hopes up

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It's always possible to root for the US of A

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

zeldadude posted:

American checking in, rooting for Germany because they seem p cool and I'm like half German so why not, the other half is Italian so gently caress that.

I'll be semi-rooting for Portugal since I know a lot of Portuguese-Americans and the area I live in has a huge community of them. But mainly I'll just laugh in my friends face every time nani misses a sitter.

Also obviously I'll be rooting for the US when possible but I'm not getting my hopes up

lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Nani really misses a lot of sitters! Good thing my great Argentinian grandfather once nailed a Brazilian hooker on a Spanish boat that was built in Germany.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
:lol: at the new guy posting in the new fan thread am i right?? :xd:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

zeldadude posted:

:lol: at the new guy posting in the new fan thread am i right?? :xd:

Sorry about the trolls op, this is meant to be the one safe space itf but it seems the moderation team are having an off day I guess

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

zeldadude posted:

Have you considered also rooting for Ghana? Just to complete the set.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I will be rooting for the United States and probably other nations depending on the matchups and which players I like.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Sorry, I was previously unaware of how truly important only rooting for one country is and how it will bring great Something Awful shame to me for making this grave mistake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zeldadude posted:

Sorry, I was previously unaware of how truly important only rooting for one country is and how it will bring grate Something Awful shame to me for making this grave mistake

Please don't troll in the no trolls thread.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

zeldadude posted:

Sorry, I was previously unaware of how truly important only rooting for one country is and how it will bring great Something Awful shame to me for making this grave mistake

The good news is, now you know!

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

zeldadude posted:

"American, half German, half Italian"

Think about it. Do your math(s)

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

Don't be so rude he's sensitive about his weight.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Does this mean that people with dual citizenship have 200% nationality?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

idk

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

no, it means you can't be 3 things and half of 2.

Lol at the upside down Aussie

People are 3 things all the time. For example I'm fat, gay and smelly

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

People are 3 things all the time. For example I'm fat, gay and smelly

same for but but instead of smelly im spotty

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

zeldadude posted:

lolll

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
rooting for multiple teams is ok, but its sorta weird to be rooting for 3 teams in the same group

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

zeldadude posted:

You can root for other teams, but if you do it based on your heritage you run afoul of TRP meme-canon.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

*kicks the trolls away, loving trolls*

Hello zeldadude. The reason people are laughing are because it's a bit weird to root for other nations. In fact, it's called being a "plastic fan" I should know, because, hell, I love Real Madrid and fascism. But being plastic for another nation is even worse. You should only root for your own nation and then enjoy the cool rear end good football, imo. Laugh at the losers, enjoy the sport, maybe make a bet or two - it is however OK to root for a team after watching a bit of a match because "drat, these dudes play some good football" - but only for the duration of the match. Hate the French.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
It's totally fair to root for a different nation, even if yours qualified.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Blackula69 posted:

It's totally fair to root for a different nation, even if yours qualified.

No. Don't troll. Rooting for a different nation destroys the purpose of the World Cup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hegay posted:

*kicks the trolls away, loving trolls*

Hello zeldadude. The reason people are laughing are because it's a bit weird to root for other nations. In fact, it's called being a "plastic fan" I should know, because, hell, I love Real Madrid and fascism. But being plastic for another nation is even worse. You should only root for your own nation and then enjoy the cool rear end good football, imo. Laugh at the losers, enjoy the sport, maybe make a bet or two - it is however OK to root for a team after watching a bit of a match because "drat, these dudes play some good football" - but only for the duration of the match. Hate the French.

It's not even the plasticness Hegav, we're all plastics down here.

It's this

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

rooting for multiple teams is ok, but its sorta weird to be rooting for 3 teams in the same group

and this

Nostradingus posted:

Have you considered also rooting for Ghana? Just to complete the set.

Like, when you're supporting three out of four teams in a group there is literally no way to be disappointed. Either one of your favourite teams gets out of the group or two of them do.

Then again, what do I know? My country is poo poo so I'm supporting football in this World Cup and hedging my bets even more than the new guy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I am American, I want America to win. However, I live in Germany. I want Germany to win. I like Italian football, and have been to Italy. Italy would be ok to win, but I'm upset with how the team is performing.

Nothing wrong here. However, as much as I am not a bleeding die hard fan of the USMNT, I want them to win the most because I am American.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I want Germany to win because I am german and live in Germany and I want the US to also win against everyone except Germany because I am also american and lived in America for many years.

Germany winning is way more important to me but I'd really like the US to do well and beat the Portugays and Ghana and maybe some other teams.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'm Australian. I want Australia to win. Failing that, I want Sepp Blatter to be killed in a riot, resulting in a win for Football.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Stupid American checking in. I'm not exactly new since I've been following soccer since the last World Cup, but this is my first time posting in this forum. I'll of course be rooting for Team USMint. I don't have any other teams I'll be rooting for when they inevitably crash out of groups, but I certainly have a number of teams that I'll be rooting against and that will be enough for me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also aside from wanting Germany to win all the games I'm rooting for every underdog and long shots because go underdogs.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was talking with my coworker, who was over here when the WC was hosted in Germany, and he said it was absolutely amazing to see everyone showing so much national pride, which hasn't happened in forever cause people use that loving word.

Looking forward to drinking it up with some Germans at a Biergarten somewhere watching the match. Especially when they play America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah every 4 years we're allowed to wave flags and be proud of our country it's pretty cool.

Well it happens during the Euros too but it's not as big of a deal.

• Locked thread