Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

Your PhD thesis probably wasn't written by 50 obsessive spergs though.

nope, just one

:master: :iceburn:

:drat: :vince: :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gimnbo posted:

Your PhD thesis probably wasn't written by 50 obsessive spergs though.

No, just one. :haw:

EDIT: Oh gently caress you.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Goddamn.

But yeah I guess if all that poo poo was made by committee, as it were, it's a little better than a single guy writing 150k about imaginary pony novels. Only a little better, mark you.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Pierson posted:

Goddamn.

But yeah I guess if all that poo poo was made by committee, as it were, it's a little better than a single guy writing 150k about imaginary pony novels. Only a little better, mark you.

Not really, if you think about it. One guy writing endless mountains of text about terrible things is understandable, multiple people doing it means someone had the idea and other people agreed it was good.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Punting posted:

Not really, if you think about it. One guy writing endless mountains of text about terrible things is understandable, multiple people doing it means someone had the idea and other people agreed it was good.

None of us are as stupid as all of us.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my dear gently caress. I logged out last night and the last thing in this thread was Hah Hah Rue's Black You're All Racist Nerds. Which always warms my heart. I awake this morning, take care of poo poo, log in, and HOLY poo poo 83 NEW MESSAGES?! Did Eddie show his dick to some one? Did the Tropers get defcon five creepy with Jesu again? Did Washout Tom update his never ending masterpiece?

gently caress NO, PONY SEIZURES FOR EVERYONE. I was actually legitimately reading along rolling my eyes at the bullshit wondering if these were actual comics or something, and then I looked at my scroll bar and realized I wasn't even a third of the way done with the loving page. Cue a lot of skimming and a lot of scrolling and staring in abject terror at this massive imaginary bullshit.

Say what you will about Tom, and oh BOY can you say a lot-at least he's WRITTEN SOMETHING. It's awful and reads like a technical how to anime bullshit, but he's written something. Even if that chapter is all he has ever written and is all he will ever write, he has produced more content, put more back into the world, than that bloated carcass of a puss filled pulp fiction page ever will. Thank you TV Tropes. Thank you for making Eye Em Teh Cutest look better by comparison. You weirdos.

:tvtropes: :tvtropes: :tvtropes:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
After having had time to absorb the pony stuff, I think everyone should go look at what TVTropes has done with Inspector Spacetime. Initially it was just a one off joke on the TV show Community making fun of Dr Who. Tropers have done... something with it.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The universe (which others call the Library) is composed of an indefinite and perhaps infinite number of tropes, with vast ponies in between, supported by nothing.

Everything: the minutely detailed history of the future, the archangels' autobiographies, the faithful catalogues of the Library, thousands and thousands of false catalogues, the demonstration of the fallacy of those catalogues, the demonstration of the fallacy of the true catalogue, the Gnostic gospel of Basilides, the commentary on that gospel, the commentary on the commentary on that gospel, the true story of your death, the translation of every book in all languages, the interpolations of every book in all books. And a whole crapload of pony fanfic in trope-page form.

Edit: they have a trope page for that story too, but it's naturally orders of magnitude shorter than the pony stuff:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheLibraryOfBabel

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 11, 2014

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lottery of Babylon posted:

As if the evil statue from the Children of Primus wasn't bad enough already, we're shown a universe where he succeeded in ressurecting his army and defeating Optimus Prime. His entire army Came Back Wrong, making them even more horrifying than they were before, but he doesn't even care, as it means they can't question his orders. With this army of zombie statues, he has waged a campaign of destruction across Equestria, starting by razing the entire city of Spurlin to the ground, leaving little more than a pile of rubble.

Optimus Prime? What? Why Optimus Prime?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a break from the ponies: the "Glorious Nippon is the best at everything" sentiment crops up in the oddest places.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I dunno, I think this page has a point.

I mean, there is, perhaps, only one medium of art that matches the excellence of videogames and that is (obviously) visual kei. Combining absolutely exquisite j-rock and j-pop, sprinkled with hints of videogame melodies, with the pyrotechnic visual flare that the Japanese are known for, visual kei takes its viewers on a rollercoaster ride of lights, fanfare, and music that even Beethoven could tap his toes to. Would that I were Japanese, (though under careful scrutiny, it appears my geneology tree does in fact show signs of a Japanese presence) I too would participate in this art of the 21st century and even perhaps venture onto the visual kei stage myself. It is no surprise that the impotent minds of Western society cannot fully grasp the total splendor of visual kei and instead choose to squandor their time listening to rap and country "music"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I dunno, I think this page has a point.

I mean, there is, perhaps, only one medium of art that matches the excellence of videogames and that is (obviously) visual kei. Combining absolutely exquisite j-rock and j-pop, sprinkled with hints of videogame melodies, with the pyrotechnic visual flare that the Japanese are known for, visual kei takes its viewers on a rollercoaster ride of lights, fanfare, and music that even Beethoven could tap his toes to. Would that I were Japanese, (though under careful scrutiny, it appears my geneology tree does in fact show signs of a Japanese presence) I too would participate in this art of the 21st century and even perhaps venture onto the visual kei stage myself. It is no surprise that the impotent minds of Western society cannot fully grasp the total splendor of visual kei and instead choose to squandor their time listening to rap and country "music"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Nice scaling.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

It was the first picture I could find ok. :mad:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
While breaking my scroll-thumb trying to flick past page 150, I noticed the recurring reference to the Ahuizotl, an Aztec mythological creature. The page's history is a mildly amusing tale of bronies inserting a Pop Culture section and then getting it deleted. Over and over again.

quote:

There is absolutely NO POINT in deleting that.

quote:

"In Pop Culture" sections are discouraged per WP:POPCULTURE (you cretin)

At least Wikipedia has some degree of quality control. :unsmith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tardigrade posted:

While breaking my scroll-thumb trying to flick past page 150, I noticed the recurring reference to the Ahuizotl, an Aztec mythological creature. The page's history is a mildly amusing tale of bronies inserting a Pop Culture section and then getting it deleted. Over and over again.

The one good thing to come out of XKCD, Wikipedia's policy on "In Popular Culture".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Every single member of X Japan has a trope page, even the ones who don't seem to have active solo careers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

Thank you Wikipedia for simply saying, get the gently caress out bronies, no one wants you in our Aztec folklore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I was worried someone would take me seriously.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Annointed posted:

Thank you Wikipedia for simply saying, get the gently caress out bronies, no one wants you in our Aztec folklore.

(Undid revision 475644266 by 64.131.162.42 (talk) (gas all bronies)) (undo)
(Undid revision 476263771 by 112.198.83.67 (talk) The brony Holocaust will go unmourned.) (undo)
(BRONY RAUS!) (undo)
(shut up about ponies goddamn) (undo)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gimnbo posted:

(Undid revision 475644266 by 64.131.162.42 (talk) (gas all bronies)) (undo)
(Undid revision 476263771 by 112.198.83.67 (talk) The brony Holocaust will go unmourned.) (undo)
(BRONY RAUS!) (undo)
(shut up about ponies goddamn) (undo)

quote:

So, um. How exactly should "Popular Culture" here be worded so that nobody comes later and deletes it "because WP:Popculture"? - 89.70.239.244 (talk) 12:15, 11 December 2013 (UTC)

From the talkpage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I think I've heard that Wikipedia cutting a whole bunch of fancruft (mostly related to anime) is what contributed to TV Tropes becoming the site it is today in the first place.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

I'm actually curious, did anyone read it? Any of it? Parts of it? I would love absurd highlights but holy poo poo that is a lot of words to process.

"Quotes: Daring Do" posted:

Blackmane's Log # 423: I've stopped dating these things. I no longer know or care about the date. I want this endless tedium to end.

Blackmane's Log # 513: I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die, I want to die...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, I think I've heard that Wikipedia cutting a whole bunch of fancruft (mostly related to anime) is what contributed to TV Tropes becoming the site it is today in the first place.

So xkcd is indirectly responsible for the worst parts of TV Tropes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Congrats Tropers, you've made me hate metafiction.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

It was the "Popular depictions/use of the Christianity" section for the Christianity article where anime nerds kept editing it with dozens/hundreds of overly detailed descriptions of crosses/Christianity in Evangelion, Trigun, any Vampire anime, etc, to where the anime section was 2-3x larger then the rest of the article, at which point Wiki admins, tired of constantly reverting pages and said spergs filling up pages and pages of discussions demanding their anime references be considered notable, cut out a ton of "popular culture" stuff.

Also, at some point the Ctl-Alt-Del author kept trying to edit the Mario pages to include his comic strip's references to it and then arguing that any depiction of a known IP in any medium should be considered notable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Not going to lie, that was a thing of beauty.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I was worried someone would take me seriously.

I know you were goofing around, I just wanted an excuse to post truck pump. :)

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

SirSamVimes posted:

Not going to lie, that was a thing of beauty.

Yeah I was going to say, thank you LoB that was the funniest, most surreal obsessive nerd circlejerking I will ever experience. Just a link would just not have had the same impact

irl couldn't breathe for a good 30s there as I was scrolling

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Tropers wrote over 140,000 words about an adventure novel series in a fictional cartoon THAT DIDN'T EXIST TO BEGIN WITH BLAGHRARGA

End thread, this shall be our monument to all that is wrong with tropers.

e: going back to Harry Potter, I just realized something that made the whole "VOLDIE GREW UP IN THE BLITZ WHY DO YOU THINK HE WAS KILLING PEOPLE AND LITERALLY TEARING APART HIS SOUL TO STAY IMMORTAL :qq:" point irrelevant. Hogwarts terms begin in September and end in the summer (June?). The Blitz lasted from 7 September 1940 to 21 May 1941.

Hogwarts is a boarding school in Scotland.

In other words, Tom Riddle was completely safe from the Blitz the entire time (or nearly the entire time) it was happening.

You may now return to your marveling at troper obsession with ponies.

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 12, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Huh. Where is it said that Hogwarts is in Scotland?

Also, just for reference, how long is Atlas Shrugged and more specifically John Galt's speech?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Anticheese posted:

Third film says that Dufftown is one of the nearby towns.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Anticheese posted:

Also, just for reference, how long is Atlas Shrugged and more specifically John Galt's speech?

The speech is 60 pages, according to google. The book is 1,088 pages in the paperback edition, says Wikipedia. No clue on the movies, but there are three parts and the first is apparently 102 minutes. Yes, I'm bored, how could you tell? :v:

Time to go dig up some horror!

Thirty seconds of looking and I find this thread.

Gonna scour this a bit. Here's the first bit that is kinda...why the gently caress would you even write that?

Psyga 315 posted:

I have an idea for a fanfiction that I may write very soon: Kickassia through the eyes of an Original Character who has no idea who any of the Channel Awesome guys are.

:psyduck:

Lupus 27, ripping off so much poo poo I can't even list posted:

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Cybertronian war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal, to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call - home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans, Cybertronians, Thundarians, Eternians, Equestrians, Vorlons, and hundreds of other races, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5.
Cast:
Commander Vincent R. Falcoln, station commander.
Commander Courtney Krieger, station second in command.
Nightbeat, chief of station security.
Siren, station Security officer
Arcee, Ambassador for the Cybertronian Republic
Wheelie, Arcee's atache and body guard
Twilight Sparkle, Ambassador for the Kingdom of Equestria
Spike, Twilight's atache and body guard
Orko, Ambassador for the Allied Races of Eternia
Adora, Orko's atache and body guard
Vulturman, Ambassadore for the Holy Empire of Mum-Ra of Third Earth
Willykat and Willykit, ambassadors for the Thundaran government-in-exile
Evil-Lynn, Eternian merchant and spy for Eternian warlord and terrorist, Skeletor
Kosh, Ambassador for the Vorlon Empire
and Mr. Morden, a mysterious human with with plans to do business with the station's staff.

:wtc: posted:

Here's my idea for a Mega Crossover Fusion Fic for Fallout: New Vegas.
It's an AU fic where Caesar's Legion are the heroes (the misogyny and slavery is done away with) and the NCR are the villians, the NCR elite are Knight Templar Church Militant figures of the Judeo-Christian variety, while the rank-and-file NCR soldiers and citizens are deranged inbred Scots-Irish Appalachian hillbillies.
And just so you know, none of this is meant to be taken seriously
Here's my cast....
The Courier: Yuffie Kisaragi
Benny Gecko: Tommy Vercetti
Mr. House: Hojo
Caesar: Neo-Queen Serenity
President Kimball: Fred Phelps
Legate Lanius: Makoto Kino
General Lee Oliver: Sephiroth
Vulpes Inculta: Ada Wong
Chief Hanlon: Larry the Cable Guy
Lucius: Riku
Arcade Gannon: Otacon (This time, Otacon supports the Legion and loathes the NCR)
Veronica Santangelo: Aerith Gainsborough
Craig Boone: Early Culyer
Elder Mc Namara: Rangiku Matsumoto
Joshua Graham: Kakashi Hatake (In this AU, Kakashi was the Field Marshal of the NCR forces instead of the first Legate of the Legion)
Doc Mitchell: Tsunade
Sunny Smiles: Sakura Haruno
Joe Cobb: Johnny Gat
Ulysses: Chris Keller
Christine Royce: Tifa Lockheart
Aurelius of Phoenix: Vincent Valentine (This time, he's a vampire instead of a cannibal)
Salt-Upon-Wounds: Jesco White
Big Sal: Salvatore Leone
Papa Khan: Mello
Jessup: Matt
Mortimer: Tuxedo Mask
Judah Kreger: Colonel Campbell
Cannibal Johnson: Solid Snake
Orion Moreno: Raiden
Doctor Henry: Mei Ling
Daisy Whitman: Meryl Silverburgh
Mr. New Vegas: Lazlow Jones
Julie Fawkes: Nurse Joy

Oh hey, it's the potential sister/aborted child of the anime club thing that Namtab's reading:

Psyga again posted:

I have a random fanfic idea chronicling the lives of a fictional My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan club and the members in it as they go through some pretty rough trials that the show deals to them, like an episode that splits the club so hard, one of the members leaves the club and fandom in frustration. I have some plot thought out, though they're mostly for the end game of the story, like one of the members telling the others about the controversy such as the C&D order put on Fighting Is Magic, the then-rumored Equestria Girls being confirmed, and ceasing production of the Bronies documentary. Then the member who left returns to tell them the final controversy (not saying it, but if you know MLP's third season, you'll know what I mean). He then gives them a Reason You Suck Speech to the group, pointing out that they're only in the fandom for reasons that are not enjoying the show or celebrating friendship and asks them why they're watching the show to begin with. This causes some Heroic BSODs in everyone in the club as they figure out why they're in the club and their placement in it.
I don't know why I thought of this idea, but looking at the wars over MLP gave me some idea that this could be a good story to write. The story takes place during Season 2 and Season 3's run. The characters in the club are: (I had this idea of naming them their nickname as opposed to their real name for some reason)
Caged Rock: The head of the Brony Club and an overall optimistic member. He started the club which only had a few members at first, then, as the new school year rolled around, many people joined the club, but as stated above, for different reasons.
Rodrun: Caged Rock's closest friend. He joined the club soon after its forming and watched the show, not knowing why he likes it or why he's still in the club, given that he thinks the show's okay, but not as great as other people say it is.
Lovelace: The youngest member of the club. At first, he's rather shy and keeps to himself, but later on opens up to people. He joined the club after seeing a picture of a humanized Fluttershy and falling in love with it, not knowing who she is. After being told, he joined the club and watched the show only for Fluttershy. He's named Lovelace due to the obvious crush he has.
Gremlin: If there's one person Caged Rock hates, it's Gremlin. He makes it clear from day one that he's a troll who relishes more in the irritation of bronies than the show itself and that his favorite character is Celestia... until he actually sees the show and sees that she's not the tyrant troll that the fandom worked her up to be. He did like Discord though. Like his namesake, he finds tricking people and trolling them to be fun, to the point where his favorite show is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, though only because of the infamous "watch the first three episodes in one sitting" trick. He's named Gremlin due to his trolly nature, and later attributes the name to Sora after he debuts in his show.
Motor Rider: A guy who joined the club because he was forced to join a club and mistook this club for a Brownie Club. However, he takes an odd liking to the show and spends his time writing and drawing comics about the show. He later reveals that he likes the fanfiction of the show more than the show itself. His name is Motor Rider because Caged Rock saw drawings of "Power Rangers on motorcycles" and his desire to start a Kamen Rider Club, especially after watching Fourze.
Fairy Dust: The only girl in the group. She keeps her reason for joining the mostly-male club secret, and so their conclusions are that she either joined to be Nerd Nanny or to prove she's One of the Boys. Her reason for joining is really that she was raised on Generation 3 and that watching Friendship Is Magic is a rush of nostalgia to her, what most people, Caged Rock included, consider the worst of the Generations, next to only 3.5.

Keep in mind, all of these are just fanfic ideas. loving tropers can't even be assed to write that much.

Galick fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 12, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Anticheese posted:

According to this Wikipedia page, Atlas Shrugged weighs in at 1,088 pages with a 645,000 word count. Not sure about the John Galt part.

EDIT: Beaten, but thanks for filling me in on the John Galt part.

Anyway, for your pleasure, here's a trope page for the WiiFit game, which begs the question, "Why would Tropers even bother with this game, since video games, masturbation, and crying while stuffing your face with Cheetos don't count as exercise -- well, not the kind that we 'mundanes' consider exercise, like running, walking, swimming, push-ups, etc?": http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/WiiFit

Some memorable WTF moments include:

quote:

Guide Dang It: If you don't know which muscles are your "core muscles", don't expect the game to stop and explain it to you.

quote:

Mission Pack Sequel: Wii Fit Plus has all of the training games on Wii Fit, including some Training Plus exclusives and allows you to keep track of your pets' weights. At least the sequel carries over your save data.

quote:

Nintendo Hard: Some of the balance games (and the Training Plus in Wii Fit Plus)

quote:

Unexpected Character: The female trainer is a new addition to Super Smash Bros.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Have any tropers weighed in on JK Rowling's donation to the Better Together campaign to vote no on Scotland's upcoming independence referendum?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Swan Oat posted:

Have any tropers weighed in on JK Rowling's donation to the Better Together campaign to vote no on Scotland's upcoming independence referendum?

I'm not sure whether Tropers will care, given it doesn't involve GRORIOUS NIPPON. If they do, they'll probably support her and her views because of who she is, rather then looking at the issue itself.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

If Scotland does opt for independence what does that mean for the wizarding community? Does Scotland get its own Ministry of Magic? Will Hogwarts finally be free of meddling from the Ministry of Magic bureaucrats in London? These are some complicated issues and I expect the troping community to have answers.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Swan Oat posted:

If Scotland does opt for independence what does that mean for the wizarding community? Does Scotland get its own Ministry of Magic? Will Hogwarts finally be free of meddling from the Ministry of Magic bureaucrats in London? These are some complicated issues and I expect the troping community to have answers.

Honestly, that might actually be an interesting story. Certainly be a step up from the Dark Depths of the Shipping Sea.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Never mind; the discussion's moved on.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Swan Oat posted:

You expect tropers to know anything about Scotland besides bagpipes, tartan, and irn bru?

Edit: or haggis

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread