Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Meiteron posted:

Technically you lose your soul a little bit before this point when you realize you need 75 materia, go to the market board, look at some T4 prices and do a little math in your head.

This is the fear of all players who don't understand how novus works at all. You do not need 75 rank 4 materia. Try like 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bonewitch posted:

EDIT: I should make it clear that I wasn't actually playing back at 2.0, this is based on what others have told me.

This is what has caused me to put off my Atma quest. I'm going to work on getting the rest of my gear up to higher ilvls then go back and try for Atma/Animus. This way I get to enjoy my glowtastic bow longer anyways.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ouhei posted:

This is what has caused me to put off my Atma quest. I'm going to work on getting the rest of my gear up to higher ilvls then go back and try for Atma/Animus. This way I get to enjoy my glowtastic bow longer anyways.

If you have the time/skills to run levi Ex or T5, that's a much better use of your time. Atma farming is pretty much only if you can't clear those AND a weapon upgrade is what your character needs.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Technically you lose your soul a little bit before this point when you realize you need 75 materia, go to the market board, look at some T4 prices and do a little math in your head.

To be fair, it's not as if you're using T4 materia the whole way. (e:f;b)

bonewitch posted:

This is why Atma is terribly designed, and Animus is much better. It's not particularly easy for them to nerf it because it's totally rng based. Even if they bumped the atma drop rate to something like 99%, there is still the statistically possible chance that somebody is going to be stuck farming them for hours because it just won't drop for them.

So long as it's totally RNG, this is true. It is, however, possible to code things with the illusion of being truly random but which actually have progressively better odds behind the scenes the more times you fail.

In this way you can have it be, say, a 5% drop rate plus 1% for every time you qualify for the drop but don't get it, until either you get it, or you hit 100% without having gotten it before then (in which case you still get it once it's guaranteed). Once you get it (guaranteed or not), reset back down to the original drop rate and repeat the process for the next time. I haven't thought the details through enough to consider whether atmas could all be on a shared mechanic here without worrying about players cheesing the system, or if their drop rates would need to be tracked independently.

This gives the developers two knobs (the base drop rate and the increase-per-failure) that they can tweak as desired to nerf the content in future.

That's not to say they've done it this way, but if a random goon on the internet can describe the logic behind an algorithm, then it's absolutely possible for them to code it to work that way.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Belzac posted:

Equip your Zenith weapon and go to Geralt in North Shroud. He'll start you on the quest.

After they say go get 12 atma you need to participate in fates with your Zenith equipped in specific zones. Each zone has it's own Atma and you need 1 of each.

After that you upgrade your Zenith to Atma and now need Saga of the Zodiac books (which cost 1500 myth each) which can be purchased in Mor Dhona. After you buy a book you need to complete it's checklist of 100 monsters, 3 dungeons, 3 level quests, and 3 fates. You need to complete all 9 books.

After that you upgrade your Atma to Animus and now need to infuse a Sphere Scroll with 75 materia. Each infusion needs a piece of Alexandrite which can be acquired by: participating in fates with your Animus equipped, purchasing one for 800 myth, completing a daily quest for 1.

This will bring your weapon to Novus and your soul will be lost.

Thank you and holy poo poo, this is insane.

I have another question: Is the entire Atma weapon line optional or will it be the BiS weapon for at least a few more patches to come? In other words, is it possible to just get a similarly-powerful weapon from raiding in current and future patches?

nyxnyxnyx fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 11, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I enjoy working on my animus. Atma was ridiculous, though. I ran around 500 fates in Eastern Thanalan and about 800 total to get all 12 atmas. I'm only upgrading my gae bolg, though, until they change the atma grind. My healer and tanks will be fine with leviathan weapons until I can upgrade them to tidal wave or get some soldiery weapons.

I love cutscene auto-skip. Speeds things up so much.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Vil posted:

To be fair, it's not as if you're using T4 materia the whole way. (e:f;b)

So long as it's totally RNG, this is true. It is, however, possible to code things with the illusion of being truly random but which actually have progressively better odds behind the scenes the more times you fail.

In this way you can have it be, say, a 5% drop rate plus 1% for every time you qualify for the drop but don't get it, until either you get it, or you hit 100% without having gotten it before then (in which case you still get it once it's guaranteed). Once you get it (guaranteed or not), reset back down to the original drop rate and repeat the process for the next time. I haven't thought the details through enough to consider whether atmas could all be on a shared mechanic here without worrying about players cheesing the system, or if their drop rates would need to be tracked independently.

This gives the developers two knobs (the base drop rate and the increase-per-failure) that they can tweak as desired to nerf the content in future.

That's not to say they've done it this way, but if a random goon on the internet can describe the logic behind an algorithm, then it's absolutely possible for them to code it to work that way.

If they changed it to pseudo-random, why not just make it "run x fates in each zone for your atma"? Same grind, people still run fates (the original plan behind the atma concept), and you can actually tell how close you are.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I enjoy working on my animus. Atma was ridiculous, though. I ran around 500 fates in Eastern Thanalan and about 800 total to get all 12 atmas. I'm only upgrading my gae bolg, though, until they change the atma grind. My healer and tanks will be fine with leviathan weapons until I can upgrade them to tidal wave or get some soldiery weapons.

I've heard the same thing from almost everyone I've talked to. Atma grind is soulcrushing, Animus is a pretty neat concept that makes you feel like you're progressing. (Other than the 150 myth runs of Hardflox, that is. :shepface:)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Eh, you don't need to do myth runs unless you just GOTTA HAVE IT right away. I did all my roulettes today and I'm just a couple hundred shy of my next book right after finishing the first.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I have another question: Is the entire Atma weapon line optional or will it be the BiS weapon for at least a few more patches to come? In other words, is it possible to just get a similarly-powerful weapon from raiding in current and future patches?

It's optional. There are two other ways to get i100 weapons right now: Farming Levi EX for i95 weapons and a rare mirror drop that will upgrade them to 100, and spending 1300 soldiery and an item that drops from T7 for an i100 item that can be upgraded to i110 from another Second Coil drop. And there's always i115 weapons that drop from T9 if you're that deep in.

Of course, which you may want depends on which secondary stats you want, though Novus lets you pick the ones you want now so it at least has that going for it.

e: Also, Yoshi played Gilgamesh during SE's thing today as a Black Mage. Somehow managed to die twice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ps am no frog posted:

Ah I see, this old nerfed content is nice and easy so this brand new content should be just as easy.

Not necessarily "easy", per se, but yes, they should have easily charted objectives that do not rely on RNG luck.

Note how I have no problem with the Animus books aside from the rare FATE garbage.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
So I just resubbed after a year or so. I only played for like a month before, but I could have sworn my low level ACN was able to use THM thunder back when I was playing, did this get changed or am I making all this up?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Well, ARR only came out in August, so you're off in thinking it was a year since you last played.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love cutscene auto-skip. Speeds things up so much.

Does this skip all cutscenes, or only ones you haven't seen yet?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

blat blat blat posted:

So I just resubbed after a year or so. I only played for like a month before, but I could have sworn my low level ACN was able to use THM thunder back when I was playing, did this get changed or am I making all this up?

Yes it was removed as a cross class spell and Blizzard II takes its place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It only skips cutscenes you've previously seen.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm almost positive it's just ones you have already seen.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, ARR only came out in August, so you're off in thinking it was a year since you last played.

My uh dad uh works for Square... but he uh said you can't play FFXV if you come over. Its really amazing though...

Belzac posted:

Yes it was removed as a cross class spell and Blizzard II takes its place.

Cool thank you!

blat blat blat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 11, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Belzac posted:

Equip your Zenith weapon and go to Geralt in North Shroud. He'll start you on the quest.

After they say go get 12 atma you need to participate in fates with your Zenith equipped in specific zones. Each zone has it's own Atma and you need 1 of each.

After that you upgrade your Zenith to Atma and now need Saga of the Zodiac books (which cost 1500 myth each) which can be purchased in Mor Dhona. After you buy a book you need to complete it's checklist of 100 monsters, 3 dungeons, 3 level quests, and 3 fates. You need to complete all 9 books.

After that you upgrade your Atma to Animus and now need to infuse a Sphere Scroll with 75 materia. Each infusion needs a piece of Alexandrite which can be acquired by: participating in fates with your Animus equipped, purchasing one for 800 myth, completing a daily quest for 1.

This will bring your weapon to Novus and your soul will be lost.

Ok, this is the first time I've seen it all spelled out (thank you, by the way), so I must say...gently caress this nooooooise. God drat!

Never ever ever gonna do this poo poo, just gonna keep trying to gear my 50mnk and lvl drg and work on crafting.

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014

Line Feed posted:

I didn't know there were fedoras in this game.

I wish I didn't know there were fedoras in this game.

Some of the game has delved toward a younger, trendier, hipster, human being appeal. That character literally looks like some d-bag plastered straight from a Jersey Shore / Ed Hardy style.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

ps am no frog posted:

Except they really weren't. There is a reason there was a huge amount of people being mad at Titan Hard sellers, not to mention you needed to grind out 900 philostones, buy materia, and run Amdapor keep when it was still somewhat ilvl appropriate. Not to mention that to get your +1 it was a minimum of 3 weeks of grinding when myth gains were 40 per run of AK at a cap of 300 per week.

If you want to directly compare, a 2.2 version of the original two relic steps would be if atma required killing the three ex primals and animus required 1350 sol (and even then, I personally think titan ex is harder now than titan hm was on release, and I did get my first couple relics in 2.0). You can even compare 2.2 to 2.1 instead, since they have clearly announced there will be no atma/animus changes until 2.4 at the earliest.

Meiteron posted:

It appears that approaching 2.2 there was a shift in the thinking of how these weapons were supposed to fit into progression.

Exactly this. If they wanted to add a super grindy status symbol, that's fine, but it should have been a completely separate thing. They could even let you upgrade your current relic to i100 for 1200 sol or something, but if you do the whole atma/animus thing you get the unique look. At least then everybody would know going in that it's just a vanity thing and treat it accordingly instead of thinking it's supposed to be the next step of your basic endgame weapon.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Frkzd posted:

Some of the game has delved toward a younger, trendier, hipster, human being appeal. That character literally looks like some d-bag plastered straight from a Jersey Shore / Ed Hardy style.

And yet people still talk like this? Seriously?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cancerianmoth posted:

And yet people still talk like this? Seriously?

That post has to be ironic. It just has to be.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I'm just waiting for someone to post about how the fat chocobos is offensive again.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mega64 posted:

e: Also, Yoshi played Gilgamesh during SE's thing today as a Black Mage. Somehow managed to die twice.

He's never claimed to actually be good at the game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Feels good, man.

...now to work on DoLs...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

He's never claimed to actually be good at the game.

Doesn't stop me from making fun of other lovely pugs.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Belzac posted:

This is the fear of all players who don't understand how novus works at all. You do not need 75 rank 4 materia. Try like 10.

10 rank 4's is an obscene amount of money.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I formatted my PC (to put Windows on the SSD. Why didn't I do this sooner!? :aaaaa:) so when I reinstalled FFXIV all of my UI/HUD settings were set to default, all of my saved job sets were erased, and the macros were gone. :smith:

It's going to take awhile to get it back the way I like it. :negative:

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 11, 2014

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Yes, money that could be better spent on other things such as

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Failboattootoot posted:

For a 110 weapon, 1-1.5 million is a pittance and not that much money to anyone in the position to be getting a novus sometime in the next month.

For comparison a 90 chest piece with penta meld is 2 million+ (with a heavy emphasis on the + when you start failing materia).

fount of knowledge posted:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Personal housing when it comes out (probably will be a couple million gil)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

AlmightyBob posted:

Personal housing when it comes out (probably will be a couple million gil)

I'm sure that personal luxury that serves no functional purpose is better than this personal luxury that serves a minor functional purpose, especially when novus is out now and personal housing isn't till 2.4 at the earliest.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Feels good, man.

...now to work on DoLs...

You aren't a real omnicrafter until you meld out all your gearsets and get all your i70 mainhands :colbert:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Algid posted:

You aren't a real omnicrafter until you meld out all your gearsets and get all your i70 mainhands :colbert:

No, I won't be a real omnicrafter until I can observe something, remark, "No, this will not do," focus my essence upon that which is *not* and make it *be* by my will alone.

I mean, they're *bound* to put in a Godhood grind in eventually, right? HAIL SATANAKA.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Belzac posted:

(with a heavy emphasis on the + when you start failing materia).

You are aware that you can fail Novus melds as well, right

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Belzac posted:

I'm sure that personal luxury that serves no functional purpose is better than this personal luxury that serves a minor functional purpose, especially when novus is out now and personal housing isn't till 2.4 at the earliest.

I thought yesterday's Live Letter suggested 2.38 likely at latest for personal housing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frkzd posted:

Someone with the ability tell me which game this guy J4G'd for.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Pomp posted:

Someone with the ability tell me which game this guy J4G'd for.

EVE, what else.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Failboattootoot posted:

First, yes I know how many Rank 4s you need for Novus and it's not 75 of them. Nor is it 10 of them, because you need ~7 for determination and ~10 for any other substat, assuming no breaks. Success rate drops in increments of 8% and from early reports on earlier tiers your last meld is going to be 50%. Who would like to risk 150-400k gil on a coin toss? How about several coin tosses even if previous ones are a bit in your favour?

Also:

An entirely true statement and also why a fair number of players have never bothered to accumulate the kind of money Novus is asking for. In point of fact the kind of casual player who Relics are apparently for is more likely to not have a lot of cash on hand then people with a more focused mindset. Now suddenly their casual weapon is asking them to be rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

You are aware that you can fail Novus melds as well, right

While Novus melds failing are pretty silly, as far as I know, they never get as bad as, say, melding a tier IV materia to the 5th slot on a item. Of course you need to meld more materia for the Novus, but I think ultimately it'll be fewer materia on average needed.

• Locked thread