Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
My detailer got a letter of reprimand for being a piece of poo poo. Made me smile when I found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Gecnan posted:

Special duty. Apply to WHCA.

I have a buddy doing that now. He gets around to a lot of places which is cool. I don't think he gets a TON of time to see the sites, but he does a little...

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

KetTarma posted:

My detailer got a letter of reprimand for being a piece of poo poo. Made me smile when I found out.

What did he do?

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

Analogical posted:

Our detailer came to the command and specifically told us not to call him and ask for any orders but shore. They're getting rid of our air and surface billets (CTI) over the next three years and unless you drew the right straw leaving A-School getting into anything but shore takes nothing short of an act of God. He held a 45 minute all-call giving us examples of times we've called and how stupid we were for ever thinking we'd leave our one duty station. We have a chief who's been at my command for 16 years without ever leaving.

Join the navy, they said.

See the world, they said.

16 Years at one command... Would that chief happen to be a 9HEB?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
As an E5 how bad of an idea is it to irresponsibly buy a new truck. My PRD is March and I could go to Hawaii so I won't buy a truck if that's the case, but if I end up at some place like Texas then I will NEED a truck to fit in.

BTW, the new truck would be a Raptor b/c I am a military stereotype.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Sir Lucius posted:

As an E5 how bad of an idea is it to irresponsibility buy a new truck. My PRD is March and I could go to Hawaii so I won't buy a truck if that's the case, but if I end up at some place like Texas then I will NEED a truck to fit in.

finance at 18% or higher if possible

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
When I get half pay for a DUI will they cut the monthly payments in half as well?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

As an E5 how bad of an idea is it to irresponsibly buy a new truck. My PRD is March and I could go to Hawaii so I won't buy a truck if that's the case, but if I end up at some place like Texas then I will NEED a truck to fit in.

It'll be totally cheaper if you just got the payments off with a credit card. Free money!

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Sir Lucius posted:

When I get half pay for a DUI will they cut the monthly payments in half as well?

Actually if you get a DUI, you can stop making payments if you want.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Found out today I'm "facing mast" when I get back to my command for the lofty criminal act of charging meals to my government travel card while on TDY orders. 4200 per diem after lodging and I dared use 1200 of it for meals over 90 days. "EXCESSIVE"

The best part was the email exchange.

"come in please R/ CTR1"

"I'm still in Virginia, but I can call you."

I should try going awol, apparently nobody notices when you're gone for four months even though they're calling to reprimand you for being TDY.

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

16 Years at one command... Would that chief happen to be a 9HEB?

This guy knows a person or two.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't know how anyone making any level of enlisted pay can afford a raptor

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

A friend of mine in STA-21 got a raptor. I never asked how he managed to even afford the down payment on it. Needless to say he had a subaru five months later. I calculated the payments once and they were a whole mid-month paycheck.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

It's pre-approved! Special Military Financing! Even Admirals are approved!

There was a guy now that I remember. E-3 with a Raptor and a Harley. When one of the Chiefs caught wind of it, he got all excited about putting the kid up for Mast for poo poo, turns out he comes from a rich family and his parents pay for everything cash.

Analogical, that's hilarious. Make sure you show them a copy of the orders the office gave you before you left authorizing every dime.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 10, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

It's pre-approved! Special Military Financing! Even Admirals are approved!

Analogical, that's hilarious. Make sure you show them a copy of the orders the office gave you before you left authorizing every dime.

E1 OKAY!

Yeah I've got the reg all printed out and highlighted already, I know what the YN is mixing up so it should be an easy thing to fix but until then it's always interesting to watch navy admin break down at such monumental tasks as managing someone's TDY.

Pandasmores posted:

There was a guy now that I remember. E-3 with a Raptor and a Harley. When one of the Chiefs caught wind of it, he got all excited about putting the kid up for Mast for poo poo, turns out he comes from a rich family and his parents pay for everything cash.

That happened at my last command. One of the fresh E3s was driving around in a Lotus Exige and the command came down on him like a sledgehammer about losing his clearance for financial misconduct and they were making him out to be this dumbass. Turned out his parents owned a lot of lumber yards in like Montana and he had like a couple million in his bank account to show the YNs. Everyone looked stupid but the guy driving the lotus for once

Analogical fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 10, 2014

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

Found out today I'm "facing mast" when I get back to my command for the lofty criminal act of charging meals to my government travel card while on TDY orders. 4200 per diem after lodging and I dared use 1200 of it for meals over 90 days. "EXCESSIVE"

The best part was the email exchange.

"come in please R/ CTR1"

"I'm still in Virginia, but I can call you."

I should try going awol, apparently nobody notices when you're gone for four months even though they're calling to reprimand you for being TDY.

Go through/have the instructions ready so you can tell them to blow it out their rear end.

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/ext/public/site/FTR/file/Chapter301p051.html/category/21868/

quote:

§301-51.2 What official travel expenses and/or classes of employees are exempt from the mandatory use of the Government contractor-issued travel charge card?
The Administrator of General Services exempts the following from the mandatory use of the Government contractor-issued travel charge card:

(g) Meals (when use of the card is impractical, e.g., group meals or the Government contractor-issued travel charge card is not accepted)

The only time you aren't supposed to use the card for meals is if they don't accept card or it's a group meal.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

LordNad posted:

The only time you aren't supposed to use the card for meals is if they don't accept card or it's a group meal.

I sent them that exact line of the reg. These same clowns forgot to activate my card until a week into my TDY too. You ever drive a thousand miles in an F150? It isn't cheap. Thanks for the link though, may as well print that out at home here.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Analogical posted:

Turned out his parents owned a lot of lumber yards in like Montana and he had like a couple million in his bank account to show the YNs. Everyone looked stupid but the guy driving the lotus for once
He has millionaire parents, and he's enlisted? Who, exactly, is the stupid one here?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Mad Dragon posted:

He has millionaire parents, and he's enlisted? Who, exactly, is the stupid one here?

He was basically trying to be Charlie Sheen from Platoon.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Analogical posted:

I sent them that exact line of the reg. These same clowns forgot to activate my card until a week into my TDY too. You ever drive a thousand miles in an F150? It isn't cheap. Thanks for the link though, may as well print that out at home here.

I hope you made a quip about being better at their job than them.

Don't actually do this, dealing with admin is sort of like dealing with the cable company. You hate them and they're going to gently caress you regardless, it's just a question of how hard and how long.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

It's a $50,000, so it's not impossible. But really it's also good motivation to get the gently caress out and get a real job so I can buy things I want.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess I just don't understand why people buy cars that = 3 years of pay

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

It's a $50,000, so it's not impossible. But really it's also good motivation to get the gently caress out and get a real job so I can buy things I want.

I rode in it a few times and my own F150 is just a disappointment in comparison. It's not impossible but it really fucks your funds. Maybe if you didn't mind living in it and putting all of your BAH into a car payment.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

I guess I just don't understand why people buy cars that = 3 years of pay

Mid-life crisis probably.

Analogical posted:

I rode in it a few times and my own F150 is just a disappointment in comparison. It's not impossible but it really fucks your funds. Maybe if you didn't mind living in it and putting all of your BAH into a car payment.

Yea, it'd probably be a better "I'm finally out of the military!" vehicle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just get a GSX-R 1000 like everyone else

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Motorcycles are dangerous

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I've paid cash for every vehicle. Debt is a hassle...

My first car loan was at 6% from Ford's financing dept. I paid it off after getting the cash back incentives on a vehicle already negotiated $540 below invoice. This is the only way to do it in the Navy so that it isn't terrible when your dependapotamus tries to take it in divorce court.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
USAA regularly offers some fantastic rates on auto loans FYI.

Also, debt may be a hassle, but you should always carry a manageable amount of it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Angry Fish posted:

I've paid cash for every vehicle. Debt is a hassle...

My first car loan was at 6% from Ford's financing dept. I paid it off after getting the cash back incentives on a vehicle already negotiated $540 below invoice. This is the only way to do it in the Navy so that it isn't terrible when your dependapotamus tries to take it in divorce court.

20 year old car club :whatup:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Boon posted:

USAA regularly offers some fantastic rates on auto loans FYI.

Also, debt may be a hassle, but you should always carry a manageable amount of it.

Gotta get dem cash back rewards hell yeah.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Spending $50k on a car isn't a "good idea" but it's completely doable on a military salary if that's the thing you choose to spend your money on. If you're spending 100 bucks a week at the bar, that's $50k after 10 years. If you have a roommate, the BAH you're banking instead of spending on rent is $50k after ~6 years. You've probably spent $50k over the last 14 years on your smartphone, cable, and internet bills. Having a baby costs $50k in under 5 years.

Granted most military people with nice cars are walking stereotypes that are upside down in debt for them, and most people that are responsible enough to afford a nice car on a military salary are also budget-savvy enough to not spend that kind of money on a car, but affording it is completely possible. Especially for guys that reenlist for $90k.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

When I joined, my E3 mistake was a 70 mustang, but I only spent six grand on it. Paid it off, held onto it for a few years then sold it for 12. For two years though I had the number for every tow truck in town. My defining tow moment was breaking down in the busiest intersection in town during rush hour and having a high school football team materialize from the truck behind me with their coach and push me into an alley. I made pretty good on the money I put in though even including repairs and some interior restoration.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cerekk posted:

Spending $50k on a car isn't a "good idea" but it's completely doable on a military salary if that's the thing you choose to spend your money on. If you're spending 100 bucks a week at the bar, that's $50k after 10 years. If you have a roommate, the BAH you're banking instead of spending on rent is $50k after ~6 years. You've probably spent $50k over the last 14 years on your smartphone, cable, and internet bills. Having a baby costs $50k in under 5 years.

Granted most military people with nice cars are walking stereotypes that are upside down in debt for them, and most people that are responsible enough to afford a nice car on a military salary are also budget-savvy enough to not spend that kind of money on a car, but affording it is completely possible. Especially for guys that reenlist for $90k.

Are you even remotely being serious with this math, I honestly can't tell

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, I'm lucky enough that my car is currently paid off, so I've pretty much just been saving everything since I got in. I guess part of me just wants a truck, and part of me is just tired of driving on Maryland's poo poo roads.

Anyways, I was reading up on it and in 2016 they might release a Raptor with supercharged V-8, so maybe I'll just hold off until then to blow all of my money on material goods.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Analogical posted:

Just remember to keep track of the money you spent on meals so when you do your travel claim on DTS you can use split disbursement in order to allow DTS to pay it off by subtracting from your per diem.

Then again, if BOA still holds the contract from citibank, you can see who your GTC coordinator is and have them just look up your account to see what the bottom-line is. Depending on your PERSUPP, you may need to itemize the receipts, but most don't need anything that isn't being claimed, and you're not claiming for food.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Seqenenra posted:

What did he do?

Constantly misrepresenting everything to everyone. Lying about his numbers to his bosses and lying about billets to sailors.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

KetTarma posted:

Constantly misrepresenting everything to everyone. Lying about his numbers to his bosses and lying about billets to sailors.

Sounds like he thought he was a recruiter.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

This has been bugging the poo poo out of me. What coat is this?

I've googled everything but I've never seen it before. Then again I'm also a shore sailor. Is that some coverall-approved coat/parka?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Analogical posted:

This has been bugging the poo poo out of me. What coat is this?

I've googled everything but I've never seen it before. Then again I'm also a shore sailor. Is that some coverall-approved coat/parka?

Those are no longer authorized. It was a coat for the utilities uniform.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I swear I saw people wearing those on ship maybe only with coveralls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

I swear I saw people wearing those on ship maybe only with coveralls?

I've been on shore for the past 3 years so it may be possible that they allow people to wear them with coveralls... :colbert:

• Locked thread