Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
0/10 - Would not join again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
It all gets better after ORSE...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If an admiral ever asks me why I'm not staying in I'm going to tell him: it's because of the boots. The 9 inch boot regulation limits personnel footware to pretty much only Bates -- there are different styles of Bates, but all around Bates are just a poo poo boot. The 8 inch Belleville flight deck boots are much more comfortable, they last longer, they're easier to put on, and overall they're way higher quality material. What about the safety of non-skid you might ask? As a shore "sailor" I don't give a gently caress about non-skid, but the fact still remains there is no comfortable boot option for the majority the Navy. Bates fall apart, Bates squeak when you walk. Bates seemed to be designed in such a way that every 2 years your uniform balance is going to go into a new pair of Bates. Why is it like this? Because someone, somewhere got a lot of money to make Bates the regulation boot -- it is in no way in the interest of Navy, but purely been done for personal gains.

Now you might be saying, "it's just a loving boot, who cares?" Well it isn't. It's all the little annoying poo poo that really isn't a huge deal, but the only reason it's done is because someone higher up in the chain is benefiting from it. And it's created an environment where I don't want to be a part of the esprit de corps. I don't want to go to command functions or divisional outings and pretend I'm having fun. I think the Navy Ball is a huge circle jerk, a waste of manpower, and should be completely abolished. In fact, you've taken something that should be fun, and turned it into a doughnut selling event so that you can promote people who are willing to jump through hoops to pad their eval. Once upon a time the Navy may have been a lifestyle, but now it's just a day job. The majority of people don't like to hang out with their bosses after work, especially when pretty much anything fun you can do could get you in trouble.

So with all due respect, the reason I'm not staying in, sir, is because my boots are out of regs. I'll turn down anchors, I'll turn down a $75,000 SRB -- if I can't be comfortable on my feet then I'd rather get out.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

If an admiral ever asks me why I'm not staying in I'm going to tell him: it's because of the boots. The 9 inch boot regulation limits personnel footware to pretty much only Bates -- there are different styles of Bates, but all around Bates are just a poo poo boot. The 8 inch Belleville flight deck boots are much more comfortable, they last longer, they're easier to put on, and overall they're way higher quality material. What about the safety of non-skid you might ask? As a shore "sailor" I don't give a gently caress about non-skid, but the fact still remains there is no comfortable boot option for the majority the Navy. Bates fall apart, Bates squeak when you walk. Bates seemed to be designed in such a way that every 2 years your uniform balance is going to go into a new pair of Bates. Why is it like this? Because someone, somewhere got a lot of money to make Bates the regulation boot -- it is in no way in the interest of Navy, but purely been done for personal gains.

Now you might be saying, "it's just a loving boot, who cares?" Well it isn't. It's all the little annoying poo poo that really isn't a huge deal, but the only reason it's done is because someone higher up in the chain is benefiting from it. And it's created an environment where I don't want to be a part of the esprit de corps. I don't want to go to command functions or divisional outings and pretend I'm having fun. I think the Navy Ball is a huge circle jerk, a waste of manpower, and should be completely abolished. In fact, you've taken something that should be fun, and turned it into a doughnut selling event so that you can promote people who are willing to jump through hoops to pad their eval. Once upon a time the Navy may have been a lifestyle, but now it's just a day job. The majority of people don't like to hang out with their bosses after work, especially when pretty much anything fun you can do could get you in trouble.

So with all due respect, the reason I'm not staying in, sir, is because my boots are out of regs. I'll turn down anchors, I'll turn down a $75,000 SRB -- if I can't be comfortable on my feet then I'd rather get out.

whats your take on the NWU?
From a non-navy perspective, it doesn't make much sense outside of boot camp & whatever the Navy MOS training schools are called.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's more comfortable than the NSU's, so I don't actually hate it. It's also low maintenance. It's a good shore uniform.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

cool.
I'm from the usmc BDU era, so all the newer uniforms have been interesting to see.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I bought boots recently from the boot camp reclaim sale for $18. They feel like poo poo.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
buy a set of danners, don't buy cheap boots.

also lmao at the idea of a school students having to earn coffee. the navy is indeed the gayest

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I like coffee. I brought my electric kettle and aeropress with me on cruise and got regular care packages from my mom with cuban espresso grounds and condensed milk. In addition to that, I drank about a pot a day of the dirt grounds we got issued from supply. My tweak level was constant but my heart rate never rose above 50.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sir Lucius posted:

Having just had this fuckin argument with somebody at work, the regulations don't actually say that you have to wear Bates. I pulled off my flight deck boots, measured them with a ruler, and despite being "8 inch" boots, they were 9 inches tall. Given that they were smooth black, plain toe, lace enclosure, all-leather, safety toe and 9 inches tall, no matter what that human being had to say about what boots are being sold at the exchange, my "unauthorized" (according to him) flight deck boots are actually compliant with uniform regs.

In short, the Navy is stupid and gay. I hate it, I hate them and I hate myself for being part of it. Namaste.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That no coffee thing is hilariously petty. Nothing like a training command to make dipshits power trip on whatever little thing they can grab.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That no coffee thing is hilariously petty. Nothing like a training command to make dipshits power trip on whatever little thing they can grab.

Not all training commands behave like this. Only the terrible lovely rates have a school rules like this

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Are there any boots we actually wear inside regulation besides the Bates? The squeaking drives me loving insane, and it has to annoy everyone that walks near sailors inside. I started wearing the 922s just for comfort and because nobody ever really looks too hard at your boots at a joint command. Tired of all those airmen and their Nike boots.

As for NWUs, I'm not a big fan. Material wise I don't really care, but the blue just looks ridiculous. It's like someone though "Hey they work near the ocean and thats blue right?" I'm okay with NSUs for the most part, except that I don't like we don't have a long-sleeve or tie option. We're always short-sleeved business-casual at the neck. I know that's not for everybody but it'd be a nice option at least. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the decision to try a joint service uniform and if that'll extend to shore duty commands too or if it's just to get us all in the same pattern downrange.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The long sleeve option is that sweater you can get.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

The long sleeve option is that sweater you can get.

Sadly, this is also the one that I'm always told to take off anytime I enter a meeting so I look uniform with the people without it. So it's a good sweater for walking from duty to duty.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

Sadly, this is also the one that I'm always told to take off anytime I enter a meeting so I look uniform with the people without it. So it's a good sweater for walking from duty to duty.

That's the dumbest poo poo right there. When it's cold out I'm always going to wear my fleece. If it's hot out, I'm always going to have my sleeves rolled up. Who are we trying to impress with this "all sleeves up or all sleeves down" nonsense. It's just another one of those little comfort sacrifices so LPO/Chief/CMC can exclaim how great our military bearing is.

I call bullshit on all of that. You know what good military bearing actually is? It's getting poo poo done when it needs to get done without bitching about it. If the only thing you can produce is a lovely JSA meeting then you're dead weight. I could play that game too if I wanted, but then I'd be locked in a 14 year death spiral of Navy bullshit praying for the day I could retire or the day I gain enough courage to put a bullet in my head. No thanks, I'm just going to use the Navy for as many personal gains as I can and then peace the gently caress out.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

That's the dumbest poo poo right there. When it's cold out I'm always going to wear my fleece. If it's hot out, I'm always going to have my sleeves rolled up. Who are we trying to impress with this "all sleeves up or all sleeves down" nonsense. It's just another one of those little comfort sacrifices so LPO/Chief/CMC can exclaim how great our military bearing is.

I call bullshit on all of that. You know what good military bearing actually is? It's getting poo poo done when it needs to get done without bitching about it. If the only thing you can produce is a lovely JSA meeting then you're dead weight. I could play that game too if I wanted, but then I'd be locked in a 14 year death spiral of Navy bullshit praying for the day I could retire or the day I gain enough courage to put a bullet in my head. No thanks, I'm just going to use the Navy for as many personal gains as I can and then peace the gently caress out.

Military bearing is non-existent in any form at my command. We're a joint command and the Navy only handles our paperwork, we work for the Army. If I want leave? Army operational approval first, then Navy. if I want a day off? Army says sure, take whenever, Navy says "it better be a tuesday, wednesay or a thursday and never twice in a row SHIPMATE"

I feel like the senior leadership just wants to feel like they're actually Naval senior leadership. Chiefs in the community (CT) are a joke. They don't lead operations or handle anything but paperwork for the division, they even more rarely actually know anything about the platforms and systems their sailors are using. The CT's ridiculous advancement rate (an attempt to keep people from getting out because our attrition is horrendous) only made it so now we have a fuckton of incompetent LPOs and Chiefs running around who got promoted because they washed cars and literally held bake sales and the only leadership they're capable of is leading a division to failure. Now of course there's exceptions to this rule and there's a lot of Chiefs that I actually look up to, but mostly because they made Chief by flipping off their own Chiefs and busting rear end at the mission.

I think there's a reason most of our operational decisions are made by SFCs and DoD Civilians, our E6/7s don't know what they're doing but want to feel like we're all Navy so bad they come up with this arbitrary bullshit just for the sake of making a Navy policy. The only way I'll stay in is if my 3rd attempt at STA-21 goes through next year. The last two times I didn't even get to finish the application because the CO said I was too "operationally significant" which is funny because he refuses to approve training requests to other sailors to qualify them at the same levels because they never had the time to get IDW, which is the sole indicator of a stellar sailor. Three years ago at DLI they gave NAM's to four people that raised a grand for Navy Day ball in one month. Two weeks prior to that quarters I broke into a room and intervened in a suicide on a midwatch, I was put in for a NAM and the CO denied it without citation. That's the day I realized what kind of Navy we were all becoming.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

tuluk posted:

whats your take on the NWU?
From a non-navy perspective, it doesn't make much sense outside of boot camp & whatever the Navy MOS training schools are called.

You can fit a lot of sodas in the pockets. Also, they were made for dirty kids. It's a lot harder to tell if they're clean. They catch on everything, every loving bent cotter pin on the ship will find a baggy sleeve or pants pocket. They're WAY THE gently caress too hot for the Japanese summer monsoon season (especially with no umbrellas) and not warm enough for hours and hours of CIC watch.

TL;DR - gently caress NWUs.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You must not have been around when the steel-toed safety chukka boot was the standard issue foot killer. gently caress those things forever.

Also, poopie suits for life. gently caress your gay blueberry cammies.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
Just got a call from Corpsman A school, asking why I haven't checked into the barracks. I graduated on Thursday, checked out of the barracks and loaded all of my stuff up into my car, and left for two weeks of leave. And this Cheif demanded that I drive 700 miles back, tonight, because he wanted me to check in and then properly remove myself from the system they make you scan into for liberty, and he wanted me to do it before he got off duty at 7 am. Ignoring the fact that I'm on leave, I'm also at a completely different command, and I don't even live in barracks anymore.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

Just got a call from Corpsman A school, asking why I haven't checked into the barracks. I graduated on Thursday, checked out of the barracks and loaded all of my stuff up into my car, and left for two weeks of leave. And this Cheif demanded that I drive 700 miles back, tonight, because he wanted me to check in and then properly remove myself from the system they make you scan into for liberty, and he wanted me to do it before he got off duty at 7 am. Ignoring the fact that I'm on leave, I'm also at a completely different command, and I don't even live in barracks anymore.

thank you for reminding me why i got out as soon as possible :3:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Or you just tell him that you're in the middle of taking leave enroute to your next command during a PCS move and that you aren't his problem any more. Then again, if I had to deal with schoolhouse kids it would probably break even a good Chief after awhile.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Tell him you're on your way just so you get his hopes up.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Seqenenra posted:

Tell him you're on your way just so you get his hopes up.

Second. Although I would likely answer the phone in another language next time. Jerk. :chiefsay:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Who is this dude? I'll be in San Antonio in a few weeks and I'd love to stop by his office and tell him to eat dicks. Those guys are the reason everyone hates Chiefs.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
I don't remember his name, whoever is OOD today. The best part is, I'm going to c-school in San Antonio, so with my luck he'll be my primary instructor.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I don't remember his name, whoever is OOD today. The best part is, I'm going to c-school in San Antonio, so with my luck he'll be my primary instructor.

Welp, you've got yourself two ways this can play out, either the Chief forgets about you when he turns to the bottle at the end of the day (like any good Chief) or he remembers you/knows you're coming back for C School and finds ways to make your life hell.

At the end of the day, enjoy your time off with you and yours and face whatever comes in the coming weeks.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You should have driven the 700 miles back in one trip, gotten in a car accident and watched his rear end go to mast.

quote:

25. Maximum Driving Time – PMVs
a. All personnel shall follow any host nation, federal, or state guidelines that may exist regarding maximum driving time.
b. To reduce the potential for traffic mishaps caused by operator fatigue while on leave or liberty status, commanders and supervisors shall:
(1) Ensure military personnel apply personal risk
management when planning trips. It is recommended that PMV travel not exceed 10 hours in a 24-hour period, and that long distance driving only be undertaken after adequate rest. Long distance travel for two or more drivers should not exceed 16 hours in a 24-hour period. It is strongly encouraged that prior to leave approval, supervisors review all travel plans, including mode of transportation, driving distance/time, rest periods, and accommodations. The use of the TRiPS is highly recommended prior to leave approval.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
A year away from taking my last set of PCS orders. Yes, I am legitimately excited even though I still have 4 years left to go.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008

I'm still in that hell hole, so any chance for a name?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
nice monthly name, JTTOTS is always watching....

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just checked into our not too terrible base house and the first thing our dog does is have a giant separation anxiety attack and shred a few of the blinds. drat you dogge!

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I think the blueberries are a disgusting, lovely waste of money and have zero functional purpose whatsoever. They aren't professional, don't fit well, fall apart, and generally just plain suck. Believe it or not, there isn't a particular admiral to thank for that clusterfuck. You can thank MCPON Terry Scott (before Campa), a handful of Master Chiefs and probably a handful of terminal O-5s who all were teetering on retirement and had sweet, sweet contracts lined up for themselves for after they got out.

We should do what the USMC does: wear the type IIIs in the winter, and type IIs in the summer. Desert boots (pick your brand). The IIIs/IIs actually fit a bit better than the type Is and are a slightly thinner material. Also, velcro, not loving button pockets that don't even open all the way.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Laranzu posted:

Just checked into our not too terrible base house and the first thing our dog does is have a giant separation anxiety attack and shred a few of the blinds. drat you dogge!

Base housing? Why did you decide to reside on base when you can pocket "all" that BAH money?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

buttplug posted:

I think the blueberries are a disgusting, lovely waste of money and have zero functional purpose whatsoever. They aren't professional, don't fit well, fall apart, and generally just plain suck. Believe it or not, there isn't a particular admiral to thank for that clusterfuck. You can thank MCPON Terry Scott (before Campa), a handful of Master Chiefs and probably a handful of terminal O-5s who all were teetering on retirement and had sweet, sweet contracts lined up for themselves for after they got out.

We should do what the USMC does: wear the type IIIs in the winter, and type IIs in the summer. Desert boots (pick your brand). The IIIs/IIs actually fit a bit better than the type Is and are a slightly thinner material. Also, velcro, not loving button pockets that don't even open all the way.

I like em, I just wish we had a summer weight option and got rid of the patches and go back to metal devices, looks so much better when the SN frock to E4 or people get new pins underway. What I really hate is that khaki shirt for E6 and below. poo poo can that idea and give em black shirts again.

Arione fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 3, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arione posted:

I like em, I just wish we had a summer weight option and got rid of the patches and go back to metal devices looks so much better when the SN frock to E4 or people get new pins underway. What I really hate is that khaki shirt for E6 and below. poo poo can that idea and give em black shirts again.

I really love that the Type IIIs, you know the ones for forward deployed seabees and 5th fleet and africom units, aren't loving summerweight. I wore those for an IA in Kuwait and that loving blew goats.

e: Type III still way better than aquaflage

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Bring back linen summer whites

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Stultus Maximus posted:

I really love that the Type IIIs, you know the ones for forward deployed seabees and 5th fleet and africom units, aren't loving summerweight. I wore those for an IA in Kuwait and that loving blew goats.

e: Type III still way better than aquaflage

the ones that look like you got threw up on by a tricareatops? nasty rear end green camo.

No shitter tho,

This morning standing main gate I had a guy ask me how to turn left. Told him to press the gas and turn the wheel to the left. Then he whipped out his CAC card ... full CDR .... No fucks given.

Arione fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 3, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Angry Fish posted:

Base housing? Why did you decide to reside on base when you can pocket "all" that BAH money?

Pensacola got wrecked by floods, which ruined the rental we found. Last minute rentals are a bitch to find with a 110lb dog and a 45lb dog. Everything was coming out basically eating all the BAH anyway.

Just said gently caress it and took the easy base housing way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Laranzu posted:

Pensacola got wrecked by floods, which ruined the rental we found. Last minute rentals are a bitch to find with a 110lb dog and a 45lb dog. Everything was coming out basically eating all the BAH anyway.

Just said gently caress it and took the easy base housing way out.

You're joining Fart Sandwiches and I in the redneck riviera?

• Locked thread