Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My god apparently I wrote Soria's name in invisible ink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Pander posted:

My god apparently I wrote Soria's name in invisible ink!

lol picked 3 times

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Popete only sent me two people on his list (one of whom was Soria) so if it gets back to Cleveland before he gets back, he told me to just have OOTP autopick.

Found another pick, I emailed you again.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Gah first John Danks now Easy Heat! All my favorite White Sox!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Antonio "Mitch Williams" Bastardo? Man, one of the OOTP guys must be a loving optimistic Phillies fan.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Merry Marauder posted:

Antonio "Mitch Williams" Bastardo? Man, one of the OOTP guys must be a loving optimistic Phillies fan.

Or they just looked at his career stats.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Before or after suffering a head injury?

(He's terrifying to watch. You're going to have to trust me on this. Every team has a reliever you're sure is going to gently caress it up.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well I could trust your analysis that seems tainted by confirmation bias or I could look at this and make a judgement from actual results

Which do you think I'm going to choose?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Note the totes sustainable .182 BABiP in 2011, his best year. (And the weird exclusion of his first two years)

That sounds like "CRACK!" "Eep!" "Phew."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Merry Marauder posted:

Note the totes sustainable .182 BABiP in 2011, his best year. (And the weird exclusion of his first two years)

That sounds like "CRACK!" "Eep!" "Phew."

pecota uses the last three years, the first two don't matter

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Speaking of Confirmation Bias, I was amazed that Jonny Venters went so early among the LOGGYs. Yeah, I had planned on taking him myself, but solely as a Braves Homer pick. I know he was dominant in 2011, but how much can you trust a guy who hasn't played an inning in the majors for 2 years?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

BP doesn't even list a PECOTA line for Venters, so there's that.

BTW, the BP line on Bastardo: "superficially a decent year...however, the ERA hid declining velocity and a plummeting strikeout rate...he owns a high walk rate and ranks among the most fly-able relievers." Context, ho. And the drug suspension, but I imagine that won't recur in game.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Speaking of Confirmation Bias, I was amazed that Jonny Venters went so early among the LOGGYs. Yeah, I had planned on taking him myself, but solely as a Braves Homer pick. I know he was dominant in 2011, but how much can you trust a guy who hasn't played an inning in the majors for 2 years?

Decent projections/ratings in OOTP, and more critically for my team in particular, 68% predicted ground ball rate.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

In terms of a 3 year sample, which is what most projection systems use, Bastardo has been really good at not allowing a lot of runs compared to other left-handed relievers still on the board. It's debatable who the best left-baller remaining is but, more importantly, his name makes me chuckle (even though I know it's not pronounced exactly as it first appears). He's kind of the left-handed Marmol. He's the hot potato you don't want to be holding when time runs out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope 8 people can pick by the time I leave work today

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

are you happy icephoenix? I picked so many times without needing to be bothered

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

FairGame posted:

are you happy icephoenix? I picked so many times without needing to be bothered

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED
Spaniard! Spaniard! Spaniard!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Every time someone picks I'm happy.

Whether I PM you or not doesn't depend on your pick time, FYI.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JS you screwed up the joke, come on :rolleyes:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Man, gently caress the Giants.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Was hoping Al Al would slip a bit more. Dammies.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Axford's pic should have been this

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Too cliché, ha ha.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well I forgot to double check who's available before heading to work today so if my picks come up that will be interesting.

Fortunately politicalrancor is buying me time again :v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think Callaspo slid way to far. He's an average player who can cover 3rd or 2nd. Could be useful in a platoon. I know prospects are shiny but he's a better player right now than a lot of the ones who have been taken.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Moustakas is going to become a HoF player in this sim obviously

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

angrygodofjebus posted:

Moustakas is going to become a HoF player in this sim obviously

In the same way as Hank Aaron XXIV was a HoF player, sure.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

tadashi posted:

I think Callaspo slid way to far. He's an average player who can cover 3rd or 2nd. Could be useful in a platoon. I know prospects are shiny but he's a better player right now than a lot of the ones who have been taken.

Well I really wanted Duda but got swooped

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mentholmoose posted:

Pittsburgh doesn't suck, dude who posted that in the spreadsheet.

That was me. Let's do a quick test.

Did you get skipped? Yes? Then you suck. Oh, whoops, guess I was right.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I was working. Tell the people ahead of me to pick faster or pick slower. :argh:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

mentholmoose posted:

I was working. Tell the people ahead of me to pick faster or pick slower. :argh:

Well, we're not going to tell them to pick slower, soooo...

Hey, I have a question. How are the simulated games going to go? Are we following the 2014 season schedule? What kind of mid-season corrections will be available to GMs? Will the full play by play text of games be available?

OK, four questions. I'm just looking forward to pretend baseball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sexual Lorax posted:

Well, we're not going to tell them to pick slower, soooo...

Hey, I have a question. How are the simulated games going to go? Are we following the 2014 season schedule? What kind of mid-season corrections will be available to GMs? Will the full play by play text of games be available?

OK, four questions. I'm just looking forward to pretend baseball.

I'll sim a week at a time and after every month there will be a bigger update.

Yes.

You can make trades or change your strategies whenever you want.

Fuuuuuuck no. Maybe for the playoffs or games in the last weekend for teams vying for a playoff spot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ugh lost internet at work today, back home now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Welp. The best I could do with 10 minutes of research. Goddamn internet.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I hate you so loving much, IcePhoenixwhoever IcePhoenix picked Bailey on behalf of. You too, Politicalrancor. :argh:

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 14, 2014

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm probably going to be away from my computer most of the day tomorrow but if one of you can pm me when I'm up that would ne fantastic. I should be able to log in and pick who I want.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Screen Door Slams posted:

I hate you so loving much, IcePhoenixwhoever IcePhoenix picked Bailey on behalf of. You too, Politicalrancor. :argh:

I picked Bailey on my behalf, feel free to direct your hate thusly.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Pleasantly surprised Stammen fell this far. Dude is about as reliable as a relief pitcher comes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since the Forums were being lovely today the clock is frozen until Monday morning. Also it's Father's day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I picked but I'm still getting the occasional error from the forums (just not the database error from yesterday).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 16, 2014

• Locked thread