Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
One thing I don't understand, if the Pentagon had a high-powered mutant in a special metal-free holding cell who supposedly assassinated the President, why was Trask working so hard to convince the world of their existence? When he was meeting with officials trying to convince them of how dangerous mutants are, shouldn't someone have said 'we know, we have one in custody'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

One thing I don't understand, if the Pentagon had a high-powered mutant in a special metal-free holding cell who supposedly assassinated the President, why was Trask working so hard to convince the world of their existence? When he was meeting with officials trying to convince them of how dangerous mutants are, shouldn't someone have said 'we know, we have one in custody'?

He was trying to convince them that mutants were so dangerous they needed to be exterminated. It wasn't a matter of whether they existed.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I did wonder why Nixon had to have mutants explained to him. Or why the world was astounded by mutants at the Paris conference when the US Army had a dedicated mutant unit in Vietnam.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spatula City posted:

What, pray tell, is wrong with the sentence other than the deliberate name mangling?
:iamafag:

I would, but this is now the thread where we talk about falling asleep in the cinema.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I did wonder why Nixon had to have mutants explained to him. Or why the world was astounded by mutants at the Paris conference when the US Army had a dedicated mutant unit in Vietnam
Its not like people not paying attention to current events is a recent thing. People have always been pretty oblivious and stupid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oracle posted:

Its not like people not paying attention to current events is a recent thing. People have always been pretty oblivious and stupid.

This might be brushed off if we weren't talking about Richard M. Nixon.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So uhh, Mystique's power is limited to shapeshifting, right? Not stealing other powers? So how is she so instrumental to creating the murder-sentinels?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AlternateAccount posted:

So uhh, Mystique's power is limited to shapeshifting, right? Not stealing other powers? So how is she so instrumental to creating the murder-sentinels?

You've thought this through more than the writer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AlternateAccount posted:

They do not steal powers they just change their properties.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

bobkatt013 posted:

They do not steal powers they just change their properties.

I dont understand this statement.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The sentinels fighting Iceman turned to fire instead of taking iceman's powers and turning to ice, though you would guess that turning to iceman's molecular structure would also be effective since iceman shrugs off ice himself.

Anyway mystique's power defies scientific explanation as it is so it's all just comic book magic (not to be confused with the in-universe existence of "real" sorcery).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah but it also looked like they used replicated versions of specific mutant powers, but maybe I was misreading it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

They also captured Rogue later on. Her power lets them absorb mutant powers, while Mystique's power lets them retain them and shift powers at will.

There, give me a writing credit and 6 points on the gross.

Universe Master fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 10, 2014

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Universe Master posted:

They also captured Rogue later on. Her power lets them absorb mutant powers, while Mystique's power lets them retain them and shift powers at will.

I'll buy this.

Mystique confuses me. In the first X-Men she morphs into Wolverine and has his claws and all that, so I don't know why she doesn't just constantly morph into more powerful mutants to wreck house. Mutations are a physical characteristic, after all, just like hair color. Too much thought.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Honestly Darwin's power(s) would make more sense for the uber-Sentinels. The only link to Mystique's powers seemed to be the whole 'rippling scale' exterior thing. Oh, and the spear-hand thing, I guess. But that's not integration of a power so much as mechanical design so :iiam:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red Pyramid posted:

I'll buy this.

Mystique confuses me. In the first X-Men she morphs into Wolverine and has his claws and all that, so I don't know why she doesn't just constantly morph into more powerful mutants to wreck house. Mutations are a physical characteristic, after all, just like hair color. Too much thought.

She doesn't have his claws though, they're just made of flesh and blood. As referenced by when Wolverine just cuts them the gently caress off.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Baron Bifford posted:

I did wonder why Nixon had to have mutants explained to him. Or why the world was astounded by mutants at the Paris conference when the US Army had a dedicated mutant unit in Vietnam.

I don't think they were a special mutant squad. They were people in the army who'd been outed or were known mutants and they got rounded up for Colonel Stryker to experiment on.

Red Pyramid posted:

I'll buy this.

In the comics Mystique can do cool stuff like turn her hands into daggers or grow six arms, but she can't alter her size (so comics Mystique wouldn't have been able to mimic Trask haha).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Universe Master posted:

Well, before her scene was cut, Rogue was still alive and free in the future timeline, soooooo...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe Mystique can copy other mutant's powers but she's just too stupid to try it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
What I always got with Trask saying he needed Mystique to be able to make power-shifting Sentinels is he required what made her X-Gene do that and be able to translate that biological power to that of a technological kind. You hear all the time of scientists saying they invented velcro because they saw how pollen collects on bees (or however it goes, you get it) and it's the same thing with mutant powers in spirit.

It's a stretch, but it's comics so they can get away with stretches like that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, before her scene was cut, Rogue was still alive and free in the future timeline, soooooo...

The big scene featuring Rogue that was cut from the future timeline was her being rescued by the others from some sort of villainous facility. So you could imagine that her captors were those behind making the enhanced future sentinels if you want.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I'm catching up on the thread but assuming all those autopsy people stay dead, are they basically bait for a future horsemen Apocalypse movie? Anyone have a list of who bit it?

Also, wasn't Frost kind of important to a ton of the more recent marvel plots?

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
The actor playing her was awful, so RIP.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The Horsemen thing is a really good idea. You don't want to go up against roided up undead-ish versions of people like Azazel or Banshee. As long as Angel gets to stay dead.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

The actor playing her was awful, so RIP.

I don't remember her in any of the other movies?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

January jones is a great Betty Francis and that's about it.

I don't know who my choice for Emma frost would be, like a blonde Rebecca romijn maybe. Tricia helfer?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

messagemode1 posted:

I don't know who my choice for Emma frost would be, like a blonde Rebecca romijn maybe. Tricia helfer?

Cersei Lannister.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Habibi posted:

Cersei Lannister.

No, Frost needs to be sexy if she's going to saunter about in her underwear.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Lena Headey already got mis-cast as Sarah Connor. Let's not have her poo poo up Emma Frost too.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

messagemode1 posted:

Just dye Megan Fox's hair blonde

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Irish Joe posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I saw a photoset on Tumblr that made a pretty compelling case for Natalie Dormer as Emma Frost.

Ah yes, here it is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lena Headey is super sexy, and she was nearly as good of a Sara Connor as Hamilton, you people are loving insane.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Stonefish posted:

Lena Headey already got mis-cast as Sarah Connor. Let's not have her poo poo up Emma Frost too.

Well there's a wrong statement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lena Headey was the only thing worth watching in that godforsaken show.

BrianWilly posted:

I saw a photoset on Tumblr that made a pretty compelling case for Natalie Dormer as Emma Frost.

Ah yes, here it is.

If the pickings are that slim for that character no wonder they can't find her anything to do. If people want scheming white girls in banded dresses, they should just watch Revenge and be done with it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Irish Joe posted:

Yes. That sounds good to me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

TheJoker138 posted:

Lena Headey is super sexy, and she was nearly as good of a Sara Connor as Hamilton, you people are loving insane.

This man knows what's up.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin

Red Pyramid posted:

Wolverine's claws aren't his actual power, it's just part of how he looks, which she can mimic. As evidenced in the same sequence, she can't heal rapidly like him. I'm sure she can simulate the appearance of many powers, but I think it's likely (within the comic-book-movie-universe) those processes are too complex or too small to be completely mimicked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Wolverine's claws aren't his actual power,

Actually, they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Mystique can form claws but they're no stronger than ordinary cuticles would be. She could also probably replicate, say, Colossus's skin but it be anywhere near as strong. Stuff like Cyclops's eye beams or Sunspot's flame skin are energy rather than physical features so she wouldn't be able to do that.

• Locked thread