Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Branis posted:

Is .40 going out of style with departments now? I have been hearing about a ton of agencies switching to 9s.

That seems a bit backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
45ACP, as God and John Browning intended :clint:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

beanieson posted:

45ACP Long Colt, as God and John Browning intended :clint:

My duty rifle is a .45-70 lever action.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

JayKay posted:

That seems a bit backwards.

I'd prefer a 9 over my .40. It doesn't give you much of a ballistic advantage, and I'd rather have lower recoil and more rounds.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

deratomicdog posted:

Are officers able to take their guns home?

Nope, just like we can't take home cs/pava spray under any circumstances.

Batons can be taken home for a purpose (working the next shift else where or officer safety retraining) but still would be illegal to possess in public off duty.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

deratomicdog posted:

Qualifications once a month? That seems like a lot.

Are officers able to take their guns home?

No, never. Not even allowed to take our CS spray home anymore (it's a schedule 5 firearm, unlawful possession is almost always a mandatory prison sentence.) With written permission we can keep our batons but that's it. Our possession of a baton is actually written in to statute law as one of about 5 lawful defenses. There is also a lawful defense of being in cultural costume, so feel free to carry a battle axe around a town as long as you're dressed like a knight like a loving neckbeard.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Are Britcops allowed to take home kitchen knives any more or do you have to eat all your meals with plastic sporks

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are Britcops allowed to take home kitchen knives any more or do you have to eat all your meals with plastic sporks

You laugh but there is a notice in my station kitchen about how dangerous hot food in the microwave is, how dangerous boiling water is etc.

We used to be able to get permission to carry CS off duty for on-duty purposes the next day but our loving union got that stopped because they asked the car insurers if they would insure a car with a bag in the boot containing CS and they said 'gently caress off.' So if you now have a public order duty 40 miles away from your station but 5 away from where you live, gently caress you, do the 80 mile round trip for a can of poo poo that doesn't even work.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Queen used to just come out to your house and cut up your steak for you, now though I think Kate does it with written permission to possess a steak knife.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
You take her majesties name in vain one more time, Beanieson, and I will personally fly to hicksville USA and give you a ruddy good throttling with my 18 inches of lowest bidder purchased Managnoc baton.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Id let Kate cut my steak if u kno what I'm sayin

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Leave our Royal snatch out of this, you colonial barbarians. You've got your own royalty, the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

40 miles away from your station but 5 away from where you live, gently caress you, do the 80 mile round trip for a can of poo poo that doesn't even work.
You really have to do that? We just have pool issue cs at each office/place of deployment...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Leave our Royal snatch out of this, you colonial barbarians. You've got your own royalty, the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo.

Look man, you're not even allowed to carry your flashlight without a permission slip, maybe you shouldn't be so feisty.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

chartley posted:

You really have to do that? We just have pool issue cs at each office/place of deployment...

Yep, because each can's serial is entered on a database with our cuffs and batons and you are only allowed one can, 2 batons (public order and general duty, but you can only carry 1 at a time) and 3 cuffs (the third has to be chain link and not ridged)

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Look man, you're not even allowed to carry your flashlight without a permission slip, maybe you shouldn't be so feisty.

Don't you all end up getting shot by your own gun anyway? As least when we negligent discharge it's usually in to the vaginal cavity of a victim of crime.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

You take her majesties name in vain one more time, Beanieson, and I will personally fly to hicksville USA and give you a ruddy good throttling with my 18 inches of lowest bidder purchased Managnoc baton.

I might be up for this but I need to see a picture of you first

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I stayed up one night and watched the royal wedding live. It was magical.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Don't you all end up getting shot by your own gun anyway? As least when we negligent discharge it's usually in to the vaginal cavity of a victim of crime.

$20 says that crime is bestiality

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Branis posted:

I stayed up one night and watched the royal wedding live. It was magical.

How about the Prime Minister's wife going without a proper hat.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I'd wear Pippa like a proper hat

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

30mm cannon training

this sounds really loving cool

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Nothing like some 30mm sponge rounds.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
My DC Metro goons should appreciate this...

~~~TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN.~~~

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

beanieson posted:

I might be up for this but I need to see a picture of you first

I'm 6'3" and 260 (I'm at the fron), the officer second from back is 6'10", the poor bastard gets put on truancy patrol all the time because he can see over fences and scares the poo poo out of naughty children.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

this sounds really loving cool

They have some cannon armed boats (and maybe a tank or two) to stop anyone driving a suicide boat in to a nuclear plant.

Booblord Zagats posted:

$20 says that crime is bestiality

gently caress, I should have seen that coming. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/23/metropolitan-police-sued-officer-domestic-violence-sex-999-call There are a lot of those.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What's with those weird circa-2001 motorola cell phones you guys have clipped to your lapels?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What's with those weird circa-2001 motorola cell phones you guys have clipped to your lapels?

That's their radio. :ssh:

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Hey, those radios are loving awesome.

Waterproof, smashproof, you can use them as mobile phones, send test messages, use GPS tracking, you can find any channel for any force/area/team in the country. If I wanted to listen in on other Britcop goons dispensing their own justice in the name of Her Majesty all I have to do is select the force, area and channel and I can radio stalk them from the other side of the country.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

you can find any channel for any force/area/team in the country.

i thought official vocab guidelines stated force was too aggressive

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Sorry, Einsatzgruppen

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Sorry, Einsatzgruppen

:golfclap:

especially perfect coming from the guy who looks like a nordic giant. If your name was Sven or Olaf I wouldn't be surprised.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Depends on what team, what force and if you're an AFO (authorized firearms officer) so carry 9mm side arms and machine pistols, or SFO (specialized firearms officer), so carry usually a 5.56mm rifle or a sniper rifle or in the case of the Civil Nuclear constabulary you get 30mm cannon training as well. In the MET, and this list isn't exhaustive as I've never been through the process, you first need to be out of probation and then:

have a letter of good conduct from your Inspector

pass a much more stringent fitness test (I think it's 11 on the Beep test)

go through psychological tests

get accepted on to the squad/team/division that is issued firearms

qualify on your issue firearm (I think re-qualification is a monthly thing now)

To be an SFO they ramp all that up and I think they also have to pass some British Army firearms course.

For forces that have standing authority I think all of the above is done in basic training, rules are definitely different in Northern Ireland as well.

About 5-10% of the Met are qualified on firearms but many of them are investigative officers who may only carry once or twice a year.

You forgot "Get a teddy haircut and gel it every day" as well as "Mandatory tribal tattoo" or at least it is in the provinces

I'm 6'3" and 260 (I'm at the fron), the officer second from back is 6'10", the poor bastard gets put on truancy patrol all the time because he can see over fences and scares the poo poo out of naughty children.

They have some cannon armed boats (and maybe a tank or two) to stop anyone driving a suicide boat in to a nuclear plant.

gently caress, I should have seen that coming. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/23/metropolitan-police-sued-officer-domestic-violence-sex-999-call There are a lot of those.

holy poo poo dude you're a loving tank

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
This happened today in Northeast south dakota

Bud and busch light. Rednecks everywhere are going through withdrawls

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Branis posted:

"Hey free bee.... Never mind, drive on."

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Branis posted:

what was the minimal safe distance in the quick response guide

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Roll Call Training and Citizen Outreach.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Branis posted:

And nothing of value etc.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Yep, because each can's serial is entered on a database with our cuffs and batons and you are only allowed one can, 2 batons (public order and general duty, but you can only carry 1 at a time) and 3 cuffs (the third has to be chain link and not ridged)

So I missed part of this. You can't carry your weapons and duty gear home with you? How does that affect working 2nd jobs or part-time/off-duty gigs? Do you guys even have part-time secondary police gigs there?

I have to carry much of the same equipment between my two jobs, so not being able to take my gear home would impact my ability to work the job or I'd have to buy two of everything.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GAY KARATE MAN posted:

And nothing of value etc.

If you wouldn't stop and pick up enough beer to get smashed on for like a week, you don't belong in this subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

So I missed part of this. You can't carry your weapons and duty gear home with you? How does that affect working 2nd jobs or part-time/off-duty gigs? Do you guys even have part-time secondary police gigs there?

I have to carry much of the same equipment between my two jobs, so not being able to take my gear home would impact my ability to work the job or I'd have to buy two of everything.

Nope, no kit at home, only time I take any kit home is for cleaning and if I'm training or due at HQ the next day, and that's only formal uniform. Every shift I have to come in to the nick, book on, get changed and get my kit and travel to whichever police station I'm due at (there are 4 I usually work from) which means if I'm due on shift at police station B at 2000 I will have to arrive at police station A at 1800 to make sure Im ready to go.

Tomorrow, for instance, I do my 0800-1730 day job, I will get to the nick at 1830 to work until 0600 the next day. If I bring some slag in I could easily be on until 1200, so effectively 28 hours at work.

• Locked thread