Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

vOv posted:

Black POTUS

Oh my God.

Darnation.
Starch for Tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Oh my God.

Darnation.
Starch for Tomorrow.

KoRn Liberated

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

vOv posted:

Black POTUS
Hahaha

Wheel of 4chan

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lotus Pedal

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gravegill Axeshark

I actually thought that was the name of the card for years

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
Kurd Ape

(sorry, i'm not sorry)

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

forbidden lesbian posted:

Lightening bolt is my favorite card and I want it back in standard again :(
Yeah pretty much this. I know it's kinda format warping, but Lightning Bolt!

Chrome Sox
Degree of Pain (it is a student loan joke)
Chandra Blazed
Glambassadors

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how many of you played Ala-Zen standard but lightning bolt was a direct contributor to making that format worse. The thing is, even though it was a 1-cmc spell, it was an effect people were happy paying 2CMC for, making it great value off of BBE, but it also made every 3-or-less toughness creature that didn't have an ETB or Dies effect significantly worse and a significant tempo loss since like, a turn 3 2-drop + bolt put you so far ahead.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Shambleshart

Sing in Blood

Deathcult Rouge

Boomblade

e: rear end Zealot

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

vOv posted:

Black POTUS

Ahaha

also Swords to Timeshares

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Serra Angle 3WW
Creature - Angel
Flying, Half-vigilance (Taps only half-way when attacking. A half-tapped creature can block, but half the damage dealt to it by creatures it blocks is redirected to the defending player.)
4/4

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

Serra Angle 3WW
Creature - Angel
Flying, Half-vigilance (Taps only half-way when attacking. A half-tapped creature can block, but half the damage dealt to it by creatures it blocks is redirected to the defending player.)
4/4

There is a pro wrestling joke here, but I'll be damned if I can't figure it out for myself.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Zoness posted:

I don't know how many of you played Ala-Zen standard but lightning bolt was a direct contributor to making that format worse. The thing is, even though it was a 1-cmc spell, it was an effect people were happy paying 2CMC for, making it great value off of BBE, but it also made every 3-or-less toughness creature that didn't have an ETB or Dies effect significantly worse and a significant tempo loss since like, a turn 3 2-drop + bolt put you so far ahead.

It kept Jace in check though, which was great. It would have been really nice to have in M13 to act as a counterbalance to Thragtusk.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

vOv posted:

Black POTUS

Laughing out loud

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

FordCQC posted:

It kept Jace in check though, which was great. It would have been really nice to have in M13 to act as a counterbalance to Thragtusk.

I don't see how a mistake like Thragtusk would be benefited by adding another mistake onto it. Lightning Bolt's in Modern, there's no need to ever see its ugly mug again.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 11, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Demonic Tooter 1B
:devil::toot::devil:
Sorcery
Search your library for a card, reveal it, say "hooray", and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Entropic posted:

Demonic Tooter 1B
:devil::toot::devil:
Sorcery
Search your library for a card, reveal it, say "hooray", and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Totally thought there was a fart joke coming...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Ahaha

also Swords to Timeshares

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Okay I admit to laughing at the concept of time sharing and Tolaria.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

goldmine

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How the hell do you have a Timeshare card without cumulative upkeep?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

odiv posted:

How the hell do you have a Timeshare card without cumulative upkeep?

Don't make it unnecessarily complicated, this Swords to Timeshares is beautiful. It's not strictly better or worse than Path to Exile.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mace, the Mind Sculptor.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Don't make it unnecessarily complicated, this Swords to Timeshares is beautiful. It's not strictly better or worse than Path to Exile.

It also works super well with Teferi's Isle, which rules.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

a dozen swans posted:

It also works super well with Teferi's Isle, which rules.

I don't see why your opponent would choose to put the counter on that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BXCX posted:

If a store is not listed in the WotC store locator when I search for FNMs but the store lists on their calendar that they're running FNMs every Friday should I err on the side of assuming that the store is just running an unsanctioned tournament but calling it FNM?

The owner of a (seemingly failing) little store in the area told me Wizards doesn't like it when events show up on the calendar and then don't fire.
The store you're talking about might be trying to run Friday Night Magic and reverting to playing magic, on friday nights, when they're short on people.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is card design I can get behind

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I dont get it

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Norin, Lord of Innistrad

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Maize of Ith
Thran Domino
Umezawa's Jeep
Juicy Apprentice
Wearbare
Animate Dad

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Nicole Bolas

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Swords to Timeshares is incredible. And that Uncharted realms was a REALLY good read. Kruphix seems so chill compared to Heliod and Erebos being the biggest dicks in the multiverse.

What I'm saying is we need more Kruphix.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jscolon2.0 posted:

Norin, Lord of Innistrad

Elesh Norin

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Nicol Bolas.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

(not mine...)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Norin's Thirst

also besides this being the best derail in this thread ever, how do I buy vintage masters boosters? Or how can I play to get them? Literally haven't read a thing about the set, so I'm looking forward to limited if it is anything like Modern Masters.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Gyshall posted:

Norin's Thirst

also besides this being the best derail in this thread ever, how do I buy vintage masters boosters? Or how can I play to get them? Literally haven't read a thing about the set, so I'm looking forward to limited if it is anything like Modern Masters.

Step one: get a magic online account

Step two: wait until Friday

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

What a Judas posted:

Step one: get a magic online account

Step two: wait until Friday
Step three: Pony up cash sucka, 25 bux for a draft pack IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

neetengie posted:

Step three: Pony up cash sucka, 25 bux for a draft pack IIRC.

Yep, and worth it. Worth it a lot.

• Locked thread