Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
My interest would be primarily in what new information PQ has about the Persona universe, worldbuilding which-- when game devs spin-off everything-- starts to become nonsense.

Excels fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously I know nothing of localization but does it really need that long to translate things? It's not like they have to remove a bunch of cultural references and poo poo, just make Chie do her bland rear end 'oh is this the time' or whatever line again guys!

I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers too, so all I've listened to is the music.

Translation can take a long time, especially if you do more than one pass, and if it's something that's text heavy. Add proofreading, localization, and editing on top of that, and a 5-6 month time frame is really not all that long.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously I know nothing of localization but does it really need that long to translate things? It's not like they have to remove a bunch of cultural references and poo poo, just make Chie do her bland rear end 'oh is this the time' or whatever line again guys!

I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers too, so all I've listened to is the music.

Well they have to translate all the text, then they have to insert the new script into the game (and they need an English font because all the text will look like this if they use the English letters from the Japanese font), and they need to record all the English voice acting. And after that they need to do QA to make sure inserting the English script didn't break the game and ensure there's nothing like this

So yeah, there's a lot of work that goes into translating a game, even when you don't localize out the chans and kuns and senpais. A few months isn't even a long time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think even with all the time in the world, Natsume would still have some gigantic gently caress ups in a Harvest Moon script.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Well they have to translate all the text, then they have to insert the new script into the game (and they need an English font because all the text will look like this if they use the English letters from the Japanese font), and they need to record all the English voice acting. And after that they need to do QA to make sure inserting the English script didn't break the game and ensure there's nothing like this

So yeah, there's a lot of work that goes into translating a game, even when you don't localize out the chans and kuns and senpais. A few months isn't even a long time.

People just got too used to the two month turnaround on SMT IV.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Strange Quark posted:

Two month you say? :shepicide:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Two month you say? :shepicide:

I really hope they do the same with persona 5.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

Which seems strange due to Fire Emblem Awakening taking a year about to translate. I know they are different companies but it should still be noted that a good translation takes time and the more likely story behind SMT IV is that before releasing the game in Japan they had already started to translate the game for the U.S.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 11, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think even with all the time in the world, Natsume would still have some gigantic gently caress ups in a Harvest Moon script.

It's not like Atlus does much better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Which seems strange due to Fire Emblem Awakening taking about to translate. I know they are different companies but it should still be noted that a good translation takes time and the more likely story behind SMT IV is that before releasing the game in Japan they had already started to translate the game for the U.S.

This is exactly what happened.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is exactly what happened.

The same can either be said for Ultimax or Persona Q

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's for Q, the English version of Ultimax was being made alongside the game like the Arena was and there are videos predating E3 with English dialogue for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DarkHamsterlord posted:

gently caress you and your logic and reasonable sense of scale, I'm a big entitled gamer baby and I want literally everything now.

But yea, everything you said is a totally valid point, I'm just being taunted by the japanese info and being a big nerd about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, there's no way I make it to November without getting somehow spoiled on Q, and it's gonna be even worse with 5 whenever that comes out in Japan.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 12, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrAristocrates posted:

Man, there's no way I make it to November without getting somehow spoiled on Q, and it's gonna be even worse with 5 whenever that comes out in Japan.

Gaming site hiatus till then, its the only way.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Persona Q plot twist is out there. I've seen a couple different 4chan posters all trying to spoil the game and one sourcing TV Tropes post the same thing.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I don't even know who half of the characthers are in Persona Q. I should really force myself to play Persona 3 Portable.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

The Persona Q plot twist is out there. I've seen a couple different 4chan posters all trying to spoil the game and one sourcing TV Tropes post the same thing.

Video game nerds are dicks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aaand it looks like the boss is revealed too...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo there are spoilers up? Does anyone have a link or am I gonna have to search for these myself?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea gently caress it I wanna see a link too. I'll go into blackout mode for 5 (I'll cut a motherfucker who spoils that) but Q, it's chibi Persona fights, I can spoil that and still have a lot of fun with it because my main enjoyment for it is finally having my Kanji/Akihiko shipping team I MEAN TEAM UP FIGHT.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
spoilers corndog girl is kill

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The main ones I have seen:

Here's the Big Bad
http://i.imgur.com/OOukmUY.jpg

"Rei" is Zen's Persona and the real Rei is dead. Dungeon prizes are things of hers(the rabbit, her hair.)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=14017382290A94492000&page=9#218 appears to be the source

This appears to be a Japanese LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCrqJKZZcPA&list=PLveUBiAwNAeK9itEchIDWsw_lJEECE5-3&index=2

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, this thread is making me nervous now that it's spoiler central for a game that's not gonna be playable in my language for a few months yet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah okay, yeah I think someone predicted that twist about a month ago or something so that's pretty funny. It's pretty dark for what kind of game this is, but hey it's MegaTen at the end of the day. I fully expect Ultimax to end with some revelation that Sho's entire being is connected to the Malevolent Entity and he's had to live every minute in waking hell or something. That last boss looks boring as hell though, jesus.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So how text heavy is PQ anyways? We talking EO:Untold levels (which is fine) or am I going to have to sit through 3 hours of cutscenes between each stratum?

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Guys just don't go to 4chan or whatever, it's not like game of thrones or even dangan ronpa where people are buying custom titles and banners and changing the titles of forums to shove it in your face.
I did end up spoilering myself on some pretty big Persona 4 stuff (like the last boss) though so I am not one to talk.
I am more worried about spoiling myself on the music by listening to it too much because it is so catchy and over-listening to it beforehand might ruin its impact in the actual game.
I guess for this one I am not really that interested in the plot, more in the Etrian style dungeon crawling gameplay merged with the Persona mechanics, aesthetics, themes and characters. But I will still avoid spoilers..
I don't really care much about the plots of Persona side games/expansions as opposed to the numbered games. Plot wise stuff like FES, Golden and Arena always feels like fanfiction and retcons made up after the fact, somehow even though it is written by the same people.
I guess that is why I am a bit puzzled when I see people saying they aren't going to play Persona Q but will just look up information on the plot, because my interest in it is exactly the opposite.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Excels posted:

My interest would be primarily in what new information PQ has about the Persona universe, worldbuilding which-- when game devs spin-off everything-- starts to become nonsense.

After The Answer and Arena I don't much care for their world building outside of the main games, PQ just looks like the most fun to play. They're all fan service but DAN goes too far in that direction and I have no interest in fighting games.

I went six years without spoiling myself for Persona 4 and drat it I'm not gonna start now with Q.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I spoiled the poo poo out of P4 for myself so I want to avoid a repeat of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I spoiled P4 so hard for myself and it owned especially when I got to see JYB top my expectations of outdoing Mitsuaki Madono in voicing Adachi.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

projecthalaxy posted:

November 25th? That's starting to stretch the definition of "fall '14" guys :(.

Let me play the chibi demon game please.

Coming 4 days after the new Pokemon game is going to really hurt sales.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I doubt it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The kids that can only afford to buy one game aren't the audience that is looking forward to Q. Parents might buy it for their kids based purely on the art style or something but that isn't who the game is being marketed to. I'm just gonna get both, personally.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I hate surprises, so I bear the unfortunate curse of needing to spoil myself to plot twists

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neo_Crimson posted:

Coming 4 days after the new Pokemon game is going to really hurt sales.

Really because I'm a huge nerd for both and totes ok buying the CE of this and the new Pokemon, I can't imagine there's a huge sales overlap in the games. Like, the kid who's hype for new pokemon isn't going to be begging their parents for demon summoning murder game too. Most of us are in a range where we can buy two DS games and be ok.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think there's a huge overlap in the manchild demographic, but that audience would just buy both of them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Most of us are in a range where we can buy two DS games and be ok.

MrAristocrates posted:

I think there's a huge overlap in the manchild demographic, but that audience would just buy both of them.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the Ruby and Sapphire remakes are like any of the others I have played, I'll be done in 20 hours and be ready for Persona by then.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

The main ones I have seen:

Here's the Big Bad
http://i.imgur.com/OOukmUY.jpg

"Rei" is Zen's Persona and the real Rei is dead. Dungeon prizes are things of hers(the rabbit, her hair.)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=14017382290A94492000&page=9#218 appears to be the source

This appears to be a Japanese LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCrqJKZZcPA&list=PLveUBiAwNAeK9itEchIDWsw_lJEECE5-3&index=2

Laaaaaaame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The OP and sountrack make a lot more sense afterwards.We see the dungeon rewards, which is Rei's stuff right after they introduce the P3 and P4 characters. Since the big bad seems to be a Time God, the clock theme makes sense. All the happy songs about being together are Zen rejecting the truth.(for the love of god if you hate spoilers don't look at this)