Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Usually the South gets crushed by the Yanks pretty thoroughly without any real effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gorelab posted:

Man, is it usual for America to lose the Civil War in AHD? I don't think I've actually seen it before.

I actually cheated in one game and did everything I could to make the CSA more powerful than the USA (keep the slave debate going on as long as possible to turn every colony I can into a slave state, disband all Yankee regiments and build many Dixie and Texan regiments, piss off Britain and France in the hopes that one of them will invade, etc) but the CSA still eventually lost. I honestly don't know what has to happen for the CSA to win on its own, maybe if New England gets released early and Mexico keeps all of its provinces?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

I actually cheated in one game and did everything I could to make the CSA more powerful than the USA (keep the slave debate going on as long as possible to turn every colony I can into a slave state, disband all Yankee regiments and build many Dixie and Texan regiments, piss off Britain and France in the hopes that one of them will invade, etc) but the CSA still eventually lost. I honestly don't know what has to happen for the CSA to win on its own, maybe if New England gets released early and Mexico keeps all of its provinces?

I've seen AI CSA win without my intervention. In that game USA was at war with Brazil and had all its forces (mobilized and everything) sieging the Amazon when the South seceded.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It looks like the CSA might have gotten the UK to join in? Also for some reason Michigan was a CSA state.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I had a game where I was the Union and had a nigh-simultaneous wardec from France, Mexico and the Confederacy. I still won and it wasn't even particularly close.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I saw AI CSA win without my intervention once in a game as Dai Nam. No clue how it came about because I was busy carving out my own empire in Southeast Asia at the time, but what I do know is that AI CSA was weak, had no notable allies, and got slowly gobbled up by the USA over the course of the next 50 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorelab posted:

Man, is it usual for America to lose the Civil War in AHD? I don't think I've actually seen it before.

Nope. The CSA loses most of the time, and even if they win, keeping up with the constant wardecs after every truce is still an uphill battle for the AI.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gorelab posted:

No and even if the south wins the North keeps cores on everything so they just come back in 5 years and take it all back.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Whoever bought Riso that av is a hero.

Darkrenown posted:

Friday, on Division design :eng101:

I hope you've incorporated all the historic batallions, including bicycle and communications batallions!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why are HTTT and Divine Wind not available for Mac? I want to play mapgame on my Mac but EU4 runs horrifically on my MBA and the latest version of EU3 on Steam is In Nomine.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why are HTTT and Divine Wind not available for Mac? I want to play mapgame on my Mac but EU4 runs horrifically on my MBA and the latest version of EU3 on Steam is In Nomine.

EU3 for OSX was outsourced to another company, and so you have to get it from them. It's been a very long time since I paid attention to EU3, but I'm not sure if they ever got the final patch for OSX.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nope. The CSA loses most of the time, and even if they win, keeping up with the constant wardecs after every truce is still an uphill battle for the AI.

Also a description of what happens if Mexico somehow manages to win its first war against the USA, if Poland is ever refounded, if Hungary wins its revolution, and many other nations. I get that the USA/Russia/Austria wouldn't just go "Welp, they beat us once, I think its safe to say that we should just back off and accept our current borders from now until the end of time", but you'd think that after losing 3 wars against Mexico for Texas, the USA might not try to declare the exact same war that they more or less have empirical evidence they can't win?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SeaTard posted:

EU3 for OSX was outsourced to another company, and so you have to get it from them. It's been a very long time since I paid attention to EU3, but I'm not sure if they ever got the final patch for OSX.

Gross. EU4 runs okay in windowed mode at 1024x768 and it's not like FPS is important in a mapgame anyway.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrProsek posted:

Also a description of what happens if Mexico somehow manages to win its first war against the USA, if Poland is ever refounded, if Hungary wins its revolution, and many other nations. I get that the USA/Russia/Austria wouldn't just go "Welp, they beat us once, I think its safe to say that we should just back off and accept our current borders from now until the end of time", but you'd think that after losing 3 wars against Mexico for Texas, the USA might not try to declare the exact same war that they more or less have empirical evidence they can't win?

Yeah, it'd be nice if there was some kind of mechanic that would make them lose cores after certain conditions -- perhaps after the second war, or a certain period of time elapses.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice if there was some kind of mechanic that would make them lose cores after certain conditions -- perhaps after the second war, or a certain period of time elapses.

Maybe you could make a "strong and weak" core system, a bit like CKII does with claims. The defenders could have "downgrade core strength" as an addable wargoal, and doing that against weak cores would remove them entirely. That way, a totally dominant defender can shutdown further wars, but if it's close, the attacker gets another try.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah you'll want to keep the cores there for culture permanence and potential Balklanising but not a a permanent war goal.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Not sure if it's just in NNM, but doesn't Mexico have a "revoke Manifest Destiny" decision that makes the AI lose all cores on Mexican-owned provinces that Mexico has cores on?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeaTard posted:

Related why is Vic2 not available? I'd love to be able use my copy on Steam, but alas windows only.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Related why is Vic2 not available? I'd love to be able use my copy on Steam, but alas windows only.

Same reason, same company. Eu4 and ck2 were done in-house I believe, which is why they are there.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

BBJoey posted:

What a waste of money. I don't even see it, I have avatars turned off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Riso posted:

What a waste of money. I don't even see it, I have avatars turned off.

I don't think it particularly matters if YOU see it or not.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DrProsek posted:

23rd French liberation of Elsaß-Lothringen :argh:

Give it a rest guys, you're not getting it back.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
It's a handy thing because it shortens the amount of time between "Wait, what the hell is this post saying?" and "Oh, it's Riso, never mind." Speeds up thread reading considerably.

Does anybody know if my custom-named Kingdoms (I changed komuwhatever to Kiev) will also be called that in EU4 if I convert?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've seen the CSA win before without my direct intervention in a game as Brazil. They managed to win a white peace in the war, and somehow the Union didn't wardec them into oblivion for about the first fifty years of their independence. Slavery wasn't outlawed in the CSA until around 1890, when the government fell to a communist revolution :getin:. The US eventually gobbled them up in the early 1900s.

I shudder to imagine how Reconstruction would look in that timeline.

It's also pretty cool when the reverse Civil War happens and the Free States of America secedes from the Union. Unfortunately I don't have any cool stories about that one besides that I've seen it happen, precisely once. It triggers a bunch of independence movements, iirc, similar to what happens when a communist/fascist revolution topples the federal government.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Pretty sure France and Germany have been fighting over their cores in Alsace-Lorraine since the death of Charlemagne.

e: beaten to that joke, really???

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

Friday, on Division design :eng101:

Thanks. I guess it'll be interesting to see how that "divisions are equipment" thing works in detail.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pretty sure France and Germany have been fighting over their cores in Alsace-Lorraine since the death of Charlemagne.

e: beaten to that joke, really???

I'm not sure that's a joke. :ssh:

Speaking of Alsace-Lorraine: has anyone ever managed to finish the WWI scenario in DH with anything even close to historical casualty figures? In my last game, Germany lost something like seventeen million men. :shepface:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Casualties include missing and wounded. Assuming 1:4:1 killed:wounded:captured, that's 2.8 million dead (irl Germany lost 2 million)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Casualties include missing and wounded. Assuming 1:4:1 killed:wounded:captured, that's 2.8 million dead (irl Germany lost 2 million)

Historial killed to wounded ratio was more like 1:2, though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties), so it's more like 4.25.

I suppose that is much more realistic.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

BBJoey posted:

If only it had happened a thousand pages later. 488 is almost there, but...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DStecks posted:

Maybe you could make a "strong and weak" core system, a bit like CKII does with claims. The defenders could have "downgrade core strength" as an addable wargoal, and doing that against weak cores would remove them entirely. That way, a totally dominant defender can shutdown further wars, but if it's close, the attacker gets another try.

Weak and Strong cores would be a great idea, especially to represent borders and heartland.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

New Runemaster DD, focusing on unit upgrades and abilities:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...35#post17532735

The gist of it:

-Units gain experience to increase in level from one to eight

-When a unit has enough experience they have to be taken to a training ground and upgraded with gold, the intent being to make you choose a balance between a large army of weaker units or a small, elite force (sort of reminds me of Mount and Blade in that way)

-Like in XCOM, each level-up lets you choose between one of two bonuses.

-Every unit starts with one ability, either active or passive, and can gain more when leveling up, depending on unit type

-Like in Heroes of Might and Magic, each unit piece on the battlefield actually represents multiple soldiers of that type (to use the DD's example, one unit of Shieldmaidens might actually be 3 shieldmaidens). As they fight the individual soldiers will die, the result being that the shieldmaiden unit will still be in play but it will be less effective because now it only represents two shieldmaidens instead of three.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Are there any goons in here that love EU, Vicky and HOI but NOT CK? I really tried to give Crusader Kings a real effort but it has to be the one Paradox game that I could not get into. It felt like I was fighting RNG AI traits more often than not.

I have been playing EU IV multiplayer and I am so happy the netcode is playable unlike Vicky or HOI which were always terrible. I am really looking forward to Vicky 3 or HOI 4.

But going back a couple of pages, most of you are right that a campaign is really only playable until you get too strong. This was really apparent in HOI where there were no coalitions and at a certain point a country (especially Germany in HOI) would reach a point where it could not be stopped just through IC and war material.

Vicky was truly a great game and I am looking forward to that again with a playable netcode.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

Are there any goons in here that love EU, Vicky and HOI but NOT CK? I really tried to give Crusader Kings a real effort but it has to be the one Paradox game that I could not get into. It felt like I was fighting RNG AI traits more often than not.

Not me but different strokes for different folks. Did you try any mods? Elders Kings and Game of Thrones are pretty good. Still, if it's the mechanics that bored you maybe a new setting won't help.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Enigma89 posted:

I have been playing EU IV multiplayer and I am so happy the netcode is playable unlike Vicky or HOI which were always terrible. I am really looking forward to Vicky 3 or HOI 4.

But going back a couple of pages, most of you are right that a campaign is really only playable until you get too strong. This was really apparent in HOI where there were no coalitions and at a certain point a country (especially Germany in HOI) would reach a point where it could not be stopped just through IC and war material.

Vicky was truly a great game and I am looking forward to that again with a playable netcode.

This would be me as well. I can't manage to get more than few generations into Crusader Kings without deciding to play some HoI or Vicky instead. The one fun game of it I had going, as a Norse Britannia, got broken by a patch and I haven't been back since. Is CK2+ still around? I'm only finding the outdated versions that aren't compatible anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enigma89 posted:

Yup, this is me. I can't "see" the dynastic strategic picture and of course fabricating claims takes too long so the only times I've ever really been able to play CK2 would be as Muslims or Catholics-adjacent-to-Muslims where I have a free hand to expand via Holy Wars.

I think it's also a problem with my own expectation that there should always be something to do in CK2 when I should really just chill out and let things happen. I don't even mind the concept of my level of direct control shrinking if I transition to a dumber heir, but then I get to a point where all my neighbors are large calcified kingdoms that I can't take on directly and I just lose patience.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's sorta opposite for me. I've played EU3/4 and Vicky 2, and paradoxically, manage to reach the end of the game with both of them fairly consistently. However, I always end up feeling that the gameplay isn't quite as satisfying or engrossing as CK2 for some reason, even though I've never stuck with a CK2 dynasty long enough to see the game finished.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I just like how much internal politics there is to do in the game. I have a game going as Venice in EUIV (Venice -> Greece actually :razz:) and whenever I'm not at war with the remnants of the Ottoman Empire, I really have nothing to do. Just kinda watching the monarchy points trickle upwards, buy stuffs sometimes, and overall just wait. In CK2, even if I can't declare any wars on anyone, there's still stuff I can do inside my realm to either consolidate my directly controlled lands to 1 or 2 duchies, weaken/wipe out rival families, marry people off, have crazy parties, etc.

If Victoria 3 ever comes out and it has a greater focus on internal politics, it would probably replace CK2 as my favorite game. Stuff like making parties feel like actual entities in your nation, rebel movements having more events and mechanics tied to them so I can do things like try to appease the rebels by changing my policies and meanwhile the rebels might try to get sympathetic parties into regional governments to create strongholds of resistance, different forms of governments feel different to play (kinda vague, but kinda like how a Republic in CK2 really feels different to play than a feudal monarchy, it should feel different to be a fascist vs a communist vs a presidential dictatorship vs an absolute monarchy).

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Is there any actual way to gain cores in V2 outside of events?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy posted:

Victoria 2: do payments to workers and capitalists operate on a system of shares (say, 1 worker gets 1 share of profits, 1 capitalist gets 100 shares, so a factory with 10,000 workers in a state with 10 capitalists would divide profits 10,000:1,000 workers:capitalists) or does a set percentage of the total get divided between them regardless of their size relative to one another? The former seems more intuitive but I haven't tested or read anything on the matter

If anyone was wondering, apparently the profits are split 50/50 between capitalists and workers and there's no difference in wages between craftsmen and clerks :what:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?649507-Factories-explained&p=14687081&viewfull=1#post14687081

Antinumeric posted:

Is there any actual way to gain cores in V2 outside of events?

It's an event but it's generic:

code:
# Gain Core event
province_event = {
	id = 2560
	title = "EVTNAME2560"
	desc = "EVTDESC2560"

trigger = {
		NOT = { is_core = THIS }
		controlled_by = THIS
		is_colonial = no
		OR = {
			is_primary_culture = yes
			is_accepted_culture = yes
			any_neighbor_province = {
				AND = {
					is_core = THIS
					controlled_by = THIS
				}
			}
		}
		owner = {
			tag = THIS
			is_greater_power = yes
			nationalism_n_imperialism = 1
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 180
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			is_primary_culture = yes
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.8
			is_coastal = yes
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = {
				average_militancy = 1
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = {
				average_militancy = 2
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.95
			NOT = {
				average_militancy = 3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			NOT = {
				average_consciousness = 4
			}
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA2560"
		add_core = THIS
	}
}
In English, you need to be a Great Power, have Nationalism and Imperialism tech, and have an adjacent core (or the province has to be an accepted/primary culture if it's overseas or otherwise not contiguous to your capital). It also takes a really long time

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So that new HOI4 DD is out.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?783017-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Dev-Diary-6-Division-Design

quote:

Hello, and welcome back to another Hearts of Iron IV developer diary! Today I'm going to talk about the new Division Designer we're making. In a Hearts of Iron game, you spend a lot of time with your Division, and being able to customise them gave it a personal touch - You're not just using any Infantry Division, your using you're patented Infantry/Tank Destroyer/Artillery combination which makes them winning a battle all the more satisfying.
For those who don't remember, let's recap how it worked in HoI3: There, any time you made a division you mixed and matched 2-5 Brigade types to create a Division. While you had to research a tech to use 5 Brigades and the Combined arms system in Their Finest Hour gave you bonuses for using a variety of types, there was no limitations on what you could do. This meant that players could use their knowledge of WWII and game mechanics to instantly re-organise their army along the optimum lines for their situation. More importantly, any time you wanted to change your Division makeup you had to deploy new Brigades and rearrange them into your divisions, it was a lot of clicking! For HoI 4 we want to keep the idea of customising your Divisions, but make it both harder to jump right to the optimum setup and easier to carry out your changes.

So, what's new? The key thing now is that you do not design each Division, you design a Division Template per type of Division you want to use and then build copies of that Template. If you decide to change your Division Template you will be told how much Equipment and Manpower it will cost (or return, you might make your units smaller or swap, say, Anti-Tank guns for Tank Destroyers, etc.) to upgrade all Divisions and then all your Divisions will start upgrading to the new design, subject to things like having enough Equipment and Divisions being in supply and not in combat.

A Division Template is made up of Brigades which are made up of Battalions, this is represented by a grid of cells in 6 columns of 5 rows with each column being a Brigade and each cell being a Battalion - With the exception that the left-most column are Support Units of varying sizes. Support Units are different in that they either lend useful abilities such, as an improved reconnaissance ability, or powerful direct or indirect fire to your frontline troops.

If you can build a type of Division, you have access to a basic/historical Division Template, and you can customise it using Land Combat Experience. You can use Experience to swap out Battalions, or unlock either new Brigades or Battalions, but you cannot simply optimise your division makeup on day 1. Despite the name, you earn a little Land Combat Experience even while at peace, but the primary gain is from combat. The rate of gain depends on the proportion of your units in combat, the more of your units that are fighting, the faster you gain Experience. This also means that smaller nations do not necessarily earn less than larger nations, as it's not the total number of units that matters, and large nations will likely not get much Experience when rolling over small ones.

Certain techs can give you a Combined arms bonus from combining certain unit types within a Division, when you unlock these techs you may simply enjoy more powerful Divisions, but alternatively you may want to down-size those divisions and re-use the returned Equipment to outfit more Divisions of approximately the same combat power as your units before you researched the tech.

The division design screen also gives you an overview of your divisions expected performance in different terrain, so in the example above the tracked vehicles will give it a movement advantage in deserts, but penalties on river crossings despite fielding engineers because of the heavy vehicles.

You can, if you wish, have multiple Division Templates for a given type, for example perhaps you want a Line Infantry Division to be you main frontline unit, and a Heavy Infantry Division type to assault heavily defended areas. You can copy and split off Templates as much as you want, however you must buy upgrades for each Template separately so having too many will limit the customization possible for each type.

Oh, and don't pay any attention to the stats yet, it's all under construction

Bitching about a pre-alpha: NO ICONS ON STATS, WHAT FRESH HERESY IS THIS?! :byodood:

Realtalk: This all sounds pretty great and is more or less the exact sort of thing I was thinking of when I was sperging about indivisible stacks in Victoria whenever. Especially love the in-place reorganisation/upgrade concept- a lot of the time I find myself putting off reorganising my forces just because of how loving tedious it can be.

• Locked thread