Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Kyrosiris posted:

You are aware that you can fail Novus melds as well, right

As someone who is infinitly farther than you in the Novus questline, yes I am aware. But you, as someone who doesn't understand it all, fails to realize is that failing a meld on the Sphere Scroll caps at 50% for the last piece of Materia for a rank. This means at most you'll have a whopping 2 Grade 4 materias with a 50% failure chance. And that's hypothetical, it could actually be 0. Dudude might know at this point.

Compare that to pentamelding a chest piece. Your final meld is going to run anywhere from 8-12% SUCCESS rate, depending on the grade you're trying to shove in. I know you just want to hate the relic upgrade path so hard but don't overstate things based on imagined knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Line Feed posted:

I didn't know there were fedoras in this game.

I wish I didn't know there were fedoras in this game.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/6740581/

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Mega64 posted:

I thought yesterday's Live Letter suggested 2.38 likely at latest for personal housing.

IIRC, individual rooms within FC houses are 2.3, and personal houses are later.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wish 1 million gil was a pittance to me :smith:

Goddamn bourgeoisie goons we should kill them all I say

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Meiteron posted:

First, yes I know how many Rank 4s you need for Novus and it's not 75 of them. Nor is it 10 of them, because you need ~7 for determination and ~10 for any other substat, assuming no breaks. Success rate drops in increments of 8% and from early reports on earlier tiers your last meld is going to be 50%. Who would like to risk 150-400k gil on a coin toss? How about several coin tosses even if previous ones are a bit in your favour?

Woah, what grade 4 materia costs 400k gil? Also my 10 was the 7 for det + how much it costs for your secondary. Since your secondary stat caps lower that your primary it's fair to reason you'll need less materia and therefor less grade 4 with a mostly higher chance of success. At worse you're looking at your final materia for each stat being 50%

Also as someone who's "flipped a coin" (at a 18% success rate) 8 times before succeeding with a grade 4 materia in my melds, yes I would like to risk it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think the Animus books are fun and the only real bad thing about them is the enemies don't have enough mob variance between the books, and having to wait for certain FATEs on 5 hour timers.

If they added in books you could do like the animus books for other rewards I'd probably do them.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Are the battling chocobos you can summon basically useless?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

beergod posted:

Are the battling chocobos you can summon basically useless?

Yes, but if you get them to max rank and dump all the points into a single tree you get a special outfit for your chocobo. If you mess up even a single point though you're locked out of it till they add in chocobo respecs in 2.3.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The healing one is pretty good for levelling new classes to 15

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You can pretty much solo fates as any class with Choco Cure. Heal Chocobo owns.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

Woah, what grade 4 materia costs 400k gil? Also my 10 was the 7 for det + how much it costs for your secondary. Since your secondary stat caps lower that your primary it's fair to reason you'll need less materia and therefor less grade 4 with a mostly higher chance of success. At worse you're looking at your final materia for each stat being 50%

Also as someone who's "flipped a coin" (at a 18% success rate) 8 times before succeeding with a grade 4 materia in my melds, yes I would like to risk it.

And I thought rare drops/success rates were universally despised amongst gamers, but you almost sound like you prefer it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meiteron posted:

First, yes I know how many Rank 4s you need for Novus and it's not 75 of them. Nor is it 10 of them, because you need ~7 for determination and ~10 for any other substat, assuming no breaks. Success rate drops in increments of 8% and from early reports on earlier tiers your last meld is going to be 50%. Who would like to risk 150-400k gil on a coin toss? How about several coin tosses even if previous ones are a bit in your favour?

I've dropped over 300k on failed piety IV melds on my cashmere chest. It isn't hard to amass a ton of gil these days. My retainers are always on ventures for things I'm selling, and just running roulettes as adventurers in need will net you 50-100k a day.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I've melded out all my crafting sets so I know how it feels to get that <1% chance fail streak. I'm sure I'll manage somehow when I get back to the game and start exploding materia again. My i90 feet and head at least came out pretty well, only lost around 200k to overmelds though I only attempted 1 grade IV overmeld on each.

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

So I stupidly formatted my phone the other day without writing down the removal password for my authenticator. I went on the Square Enix support chat and had them remove the authenticator for me.

When I tried to log into the game I got the error "the service account in question is not registered" so I went to my account page to check it out and indeed my FFXIV account information was completely missing.

So I went back onto the chat and was told:

quote:

Agent Haley J: Sorry I had to look deeper into what is going on. It appears that your Service account one was permanently closed due to an internal investigation by our Engineers. I don't have any other information on this issue. Once they Permanently close the service account it is permanently closed.
You: When was this? Because I hadn't even played this month and I had an authenticator on my account so why would that happen?
Agent Haley J: It was Closed on the 6th of this month.
You: And it really does not say for what reason?
Agent Haley J: No one here has access to those notes. We don't know if it was us or Japan that closed it, The only thing we know is there was an internal investigation at some [point with our engineers and they found a reason to shut down the account.
You: So I've just lost my account and am out the money I paid for the game and for a months subscription with absolutely no explanation whatsoever?
Agent Haley J: Like I said we have no information on the subject.

And then she hung up on me basically.

So my account was apparently banned while I wasn't even playing, while it had an authenticator attached, so it wasn't because I was hacked. And they can't give me any information at all, they apparently don't even know which of their divisions did the banning.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

PhilippAchtel posted:

And I thought rare drops/success rates were universally despised amongst gamers, but you almost sound like you prefer it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_stimulation_reward#Relationship_to_natural_rewards_and_drives

You give a rat a button to push and it gives them food they will only push it when they need to eat. You give a rat a button to push and it only gives food sometimes and they will press over and over, even after they acquire the food.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've dropped over 300k on failed piety IV melds on my cashmere chest. It isn't hard to amass a ton of gil these days. My retainers are always on ventures for things I'm selling, and just running roulettes as adventurers in need will net you 50-100k a day.

I think the point is that someone who is honestly casual doesn't have time to do four dungeons and a trial every day (and probably doesn't even have a tank leveled to get the bonus anyway).

That being said, I'll reiterate that atma and beyond is not meant to be casual, and some people (me included) think it sucks that they added several weapon upgrade paths without adding even a single upgrade path similar in scope/effort to the original relic and zenith.

Belzac posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_stimulation_reward#Relationship_to_natural_rewards_and_drives

You give a rat a button to push and it gives them food they will only push it when they need to eat. You give a rat a button to push and it only gives food sometimes and they will press over and over, even after they acquire the food.

Nobody questions that the button gets pushed, the question is whether the rat enjoys pushing it. Given that it won't do it unless obligated to, I'm guessing 'no'.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

I don't mind them. I hate being unlucky like every other person but I don't dislike rare drops or success rates.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

seorin posted:

Nobody questions that the button gets pushed, the question is whether the rat enjoys pushing it. Given that it won't do it unless obligated to, I'm guessing 'no'.

There's something magical about gambling where you always assume you're going to win. You might tell yourself you're not, it's very unlikely and you know it. You probably shouldn't be doing this at all. But all the same, when the roll happens you can't help but feel the anticipation, maybe, just maybe. And if you actually do win, the thrill of victory is overpowering.

Or I guess they could just hand you a relic +15 for logging in 10 days in a row, I guess that's fun too.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I don't play a Scholar, so I have a question for people who do or who know how they work more in depth than I. While I know that critting on heals causes the shield to be doubled for the spell/s that generate them, does Mantra's increase to healing also increase the shield by virtue of increasing the healing done or is this interaction unique to critical heals?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

I don't play a Scholar, so I have a question for people who do or who know how they work more in depth than I. While I know that critting on heals causes the shield to be doubled for the spell/s that generate them, does Mantra's increase to healing also increase the shield by virtue of increasing the healing done or is this interaction unique to critical heals?

Your shield is equal to the amount healed (or double on crit) regardless of what heal+ buffs you have.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Belzac posted:

There's something magical about gambling where you always assume you're going to win. You might tell yourself you're not, it's very unlikely and you know it. You probably shouldn't be doing this at all. But all the same, when the roll happens you can't help but feel the anticipation, maybe, just maybe. And if you actually do win, the thrill of victory is overpowering.

No, not really. Not when you lose for days and weeks on end. Eventually you either give up (like all the people who have stopped bothering or haven't even started bothering with Atma grinding) or when you do eventually get what you were after, it's a sense of relief and "that's finally loving over", not a thrill.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Kyrosiris posted:

No, not really. Not when you lose for days and weeks on end. Eventually you either give up (like all the people who have stopped bothering or haven't even started bothering with Atma grinding) or when you do eventually get what you were after, it's a sense of relief and "that's finally loving over", not a thrill.

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The closest thing to a positive feeling I experience while ATMA farming is weary hope. As I entered my 5th hour of running FATEs in East Shroud, the only thing that pushed me forward was the notion that maybe... just maybe... the next one would be it. Even though the odds were clearly incredibly small, the chance that I might get what I'm looking for pushed me forward. When I finally got it, I felt nauseous. My hard work had paid off.... by freeing me to risk experiencing the same level of tedium and borderline despair four more times.

When I log in and go to get the ATMA of the Crab, maybe... just maybe... it will drop within the first hour.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Evil Sagan posted:

The closest thing to a positive feeling I experience while ATMA farming is weary hope. As I entered my 5th hour of running FATEs in East Shroud, the only thing that pushed me forward was the notion that maybe... just maybe... the next one would be it. Even though the odds were clearly incredibly small, the chance that I might get what I'm looking for pushed me forward. When I finally got it, I felt nauseous. My hard work had paid off.... by freeing me to risk experiencing the same level of tedium and borderline despair four more times.

When I log in and go to get the ATMA of the Crab, maybe... just maybe... it will drop within the first hour.

This man knows what up.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Does anyone else recount their ATMA crystals just to be sure they didn't imagine getting one or accidentally miss one? I covet the poo poo out of these rocks.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

haven't even started bothering with Atma grinding

Hopefully those people can stop posting about it as well. I'm pretty loving tired of seeing the same accounts whine in here daily about atma/animus/novus. You know who you are shitlords.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Failboattootoot posted:

10 rank 4's is an obscene amount of money.

500 myth obtained via roulettes = buy a mat every once in awhile = sell for 70-90k minimum. if you are doing this while infusing materia i or materia ii you will be well ahead of the monetary requirements when you hit materia iv

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've got one weapon at Animus and another Atma and I'd rather collect another 12 Atma's than do another 9 Animus books, gently caress that process.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

having to wait for certain FATEs on 5 hour timers.

In my experience, no FATEs besides the local big bosses (like Gorgimera or Cancer, or for a more extreme example Odin or Behemoth) have bona fide timers. My long-winded spitball explanation after having gotten my own animus and helped several friends with theirs, which included many many opportunities to watch FATE spawn patterns, is this:

1. FATEs are lumped into sets. For example, in East Shroud, there's the set of high 40s FATEs in the Sylphlands, the set of low 40s FATEs just south of the Sylphlands, and one or more lower level sets that were never relevant enough to make me give a poo poo about them.

(NB: FATEs required for quests or dailies are - potential S-E fuckups notwithstanding - in their own respective sets of one, and are thus independent. They are not blocked by other FATEs and do not block other FATEs. This was not the case back when they first had the brilliant idea to make quests require specific FATEs, but they changed that quite a while back. FATEs required for animus books, sadly, did not get this treatment.)

2. Some FATEs are paired/sequential, and FATE B will happen more or less immediately after FATE A finishes. Most of the examples of this are fairly obvious, like the Highbridge ones in Eastern Thanalan or the Tidegate ones in Western La Noscea. For the purposes of this explanation, these paired/sequential FATEs count as one single FATE.

3. No two FATEs from the same set can be up concurrently. This includes any preamble NPC RP-ing before the FATE starts, and also includes FATEs that are available to start by talking to an NPC, but haven't technically been started yet. (Corollary: if you see two FATEs up at the same time, you know they're not in the same set. This is, for example, how I learned that Roc is a Dragonhead FATE rather than a Whitebrim FATE.)

4. With the exception of the independent sets which only have one FATE to choose from to begin with, the same FATE (or paired/sequential FATEs) will not spawn twice in a row, but there's no further cooldown beyond that. (I admit, I'm slightly less confident on this one. It may be possible, just unlikely. I can't recall having ever seen it happen, though.) Furthermore, aside from "don't pick the same one you just picked", it's completely random.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 12, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Belzac posted:

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Actually, we've had this discussion before, and there is such a thing as spacing rewards out too far. A blog post written shortly after Diablo 3's release likens a player receiving loot to a monkey being rewarded juice as part of an experiment:

quote:

When the juice didn’t arrive or was late or diluted, Julio would get angry and make unhappy noises, or become mopey. And within Julio’s brain, Schultz watched a new pattern emerge: craving. When Julio anticipated juice but didn’t receive it, a neurological pattern associated with desire and frustration erupted inside his skull. When Julio saw the cue, he started anticipating a juice-fueled joy. But if the juice didn’t arrive, that joy became a craving that, if unsatisfied, drove Julio to anger or depression.
[…]
For those monkeys who hadn’t developed a strong habit, the distractions worked. They slid out of their chairs, left the room, and never looked back. They hadn’t learned to crave the juice. However, once a monkey had developed a habit […] the distractions held no allure. The animal would sit there, watching the monitor and pressing the lever, over and over again, regardless of the offer of food or the opportunity to go outside. The anticipation and sense of craving was so overwhelming that the monkeys stayed glued to their screens, the same way a gambler will play slots long after he’s lost his winnings.

I'll take that a step further and suggest that optimal spacing is purely subjective, so what leads to fun for you leads to "anger or depression" in others. Suffice to say there's no shortage of people feeling that way towards atma, and personally, I think SE would have done better to try and appeal to both ends of the spectrum.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

ps am no frog posted:

Except they really weren't. There is a reason there was a huge amount of people being mad at Titan Hard sellers, not to mention you needed to grind out 900 philostones, buy materia, and run Amdapor keep when it was still somewhat ilvl appropriate. Not to mention that to get your +1 it was a minimum of 3 weeks of grinding when myth gains were 40 per run of AK at a cap of 300 per week.

People hate mercing because they're poor and/or feel bad people getting carried stains their petty feeling of superiority. Being able to do a relic in a day is casual as all heck, the i90 still had an effective time lock but the i80 was unmatched by anything else at the time. Buying runs is the epitome of casual play. My repeat customers don't even try to pug they just want to get home from work and get loot instantly.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
If one were to grind for multiples of the same atma as a time, would said atmas stack in the inventory or each take up their own slot? This is important for my grinding plans.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Shoopuf posted:

If one were to grind for multiples of the same atma as a time, would said atmas stack in the inventory or each take up their own slot? This is important for my grinding plans.
Each one takes its own inventory slot. So it'd get very filled very quickly if you tried.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Smart Car posted:

Each one takes its own inventory slot. So it'd get very filled very quickly if you tried.

I thought they changed it so they stacked? Or was it just so you could hold multiple in their own slots?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Shoopuf posted:

They take up their own slot. I have two atmas that are the same and they don't stack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has Square-Enix announced a date yet for Final Fantasy Fan Fest in Las Vegas?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can someone explain the japan time fate farming?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Can someone explain the japan time fate farming?

It's not real.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I started my animus book for my 2nd atma and felt like I got punched in the balls when I saw you have to do EVERYTHING in the book. I thought it was just 1 book = 1 stupid fate or kill 50 x or dungeon runs :negative:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've picked up 3 Atmas already(used the schedule from the redit thread posted earlier) but honestly, I'm not seeing much point to it when the only difference seems to be a few points of strength more at best. I sure as hell don't see myself doing the animus grind let alone the novus insanity.

bonewitch posted:

Thanks to echo, most healers can straight up heal through High Voltage if they're decently geared. I think the only time HV actually scares me is when it goes off at the start of enrage in T2 because that *will* wipe you if you get unlucky.

This just happened to us. :sigh:

e: twice. :suicide:

• Locked thread