Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Goodreads also prompts you to rate the book when you are done, but it works fine on wifi.

It's kind of creepy because it also posts the rating to Facebook. Need to figure out why that is one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Ask yourself two questions before buying a 3G Kindle.

Do you lack the foresight to put enough books onto the internal memory?

Is there nothing else you'd rather spend that money on?

If the answers are yes and no, respectively, then go right ahead.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 30, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

frozenpeas posted:

Ask yourself two questions before buying a 3G Kindle.

Do you lack the foresight to put enough books onto the internal memory?

Is there nothing else you'd rather spend that money on?

If the answers are yes and no, respectively, then go right ahead.

Alternatively "Do you switch Kindle devices often when not at home and want to stay in sync?" or "Do I like buying or downloading previously bought books when not near wifi?"

There are good reasons to get the 3G version even if they don't apply to you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

smackfu posted:

It's kind of creepy because it also posts the rating to Facebook. Need to figure out why that is one of these days.

Because you've linked either your Kindle or your Goodreads account to your Facebook account.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

fordan posted:

Alternatively "Do you switch Kindle devices often when not at home and want to stay in sync?" or "Do I like buying or downloading previously bought books when not near wifi?"

There are good reasons to get the 3G version even if they don't apply to you.

Absolutely, and if money is no object then there's no reason not to. However if money is a consideration then a couple of small quality of life changes don't really make make a £139 Kindle that much better than the £79 one.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I went with the 3G. I thought gently caress it, I've had my last one for years and got countless hours of use out of it, it's not like it's something I only pick up occasionally. I travel for work and stay in hotels more regularly than I used to, and hotel Wifi can be a pain in the arse. The last place I stayed at, they gave you vouchers which you had to log in to a website and activate and each one was only good for 24 hours. Once I factored in the gift vouchers and discount I already had, and the fact that I can ebay my old lighted leather case and kindle keyboard for a few quid, it's still a pretty good deal.

I also remembered a holiday once where I was staying in a converted barn with no Wifi and terrible coverage for my mobile networks. I ended up having to tether off a friend's phone to buy a book and it was just generally a pain in the arse (mind you, I suppose in this situation the Kindle might have struggled as well, if it was the same network as my phone. If Kindles use international roaming though, they should just be able to jump onto any available coverage). I think it's one of those things that you don't use all the time, but it's annoying when you don't have it.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 30, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yep, that's what I figured. Also, my girlfriend could that I basically wanted it and was just trying to logic myself out of it, so she nerd-enabled me and talked me into it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
...ok, anyone else had any issues linking a Paperwhite to their Facebook account. I enter my details, and I'm certain they're right, I've used them to log into my PC directly beforehand. I get the confirmation screen saying "If you do this Amazon will be able to post to your friends" etc, hit the "Link" button, and then I'm back to the login screen with "An error occured. Please verify your login information. I tried turning off 2-factor authentication on my FB account, and changing my password, and neither of these things have helped.

Anyone else encountered this?

e: Hmm, looking at the Amazon customer forums this seems to be a common (known?) issue.

e: nvm, manual firmware updated sorted it.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 30, 2014

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Did you already buy a case for it? I didn't want to pay for the overpriced official cover either, but I'm glad I did, it's really nice. None of the hooks like the keyboard cover, it's squeezed into the soft plastic(rubber?) frame that holds it in, leather on the front and back with the magnetic clasp that will auto turn on your paperwhite when it's opened. It doesn't feel bulky at all and covers the whole paperwhite except for the USB port and power button on the bottom. I upgraded from a kindle keyboard as well, and had that one for years, I expect I'll have this one for just as long if not longer.

The battery life is about the same as the kindle keyboard, but I think much of that is because of the lights - I keep it on around level 10 all the time, day or night.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Spug posted:

Bump this thing because Amazon and Hachette are fighting and it's pretty crazy

(and also I forgot I had just posted here before going back several pages so sorry for double posting)

Man, I can't help but feel this article might just be a "bit" biased, with an opening like this:

quote:

Seeking ever-higher payments from publishers to bolster its anemic bottom line, Amazon is holding books and authors hostage on two continents by delaying shipments and raising prices. The literary community is fearful and outraged — and practically begging for government intervention.

Yeah, I'm sure Amazon is really hurting by not getting the pennies-to-dollars extra per book sale and their survival rests on extorting the publishers. There's probably a lot we don't know going behind the scenes, but I'd guess that it's more of not backing down and setting a precedence.

Considering that we got the agency model the last time Amazon had a feud and backed down from it in the end, I'm willing to give them a bit more credit then just wanting to purely chase profits. What a poorly-written sensational article.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

PlushCow posted:

Did you already buy a case for it? I didn't want to pay for the overpriced official cover either, but I'm glad I did, it's really nice. None of the hooks like the keyboard cover, it's squeezed into the soft plastic(rubber?) frame that holds it in, leather on the front and back with the magnetic clasp that will auto turn on your paperwhite when it's opened. It doesn't feel bulky at all and covers the whole paperwhite except for the USB port and power button on the bottom. I upgraded from a kindle keyboard as well, and had that one for years, I expect I'll have this one for just as long if not longer.

The battery life is about the same as the kindle keyboard, but I think much of that is because of the lights - I keep it on around level 10 all the time, day or night.

I bought this case http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GG5HBU0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1 which had excellent reviews and is considerably cheaper. I might upgrade to the official one at some point, but this seems like it'll be pretty good. Should be here Monday.

e: Oh, I linked the mobile site. This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GG5HBU0/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

chippy posted:

I bought this case http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GG5HBU0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1 which had excellent reviews and is considerably cheaper. I might upgrade to the official one at some point, but this seems like it'll be pretty good. Should be here Monday.

I just got that one earlier this week and am extremely happy with it. It doesn't add much bulk at all and the magnets work perfectly.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cool. Yeah, judging by the reviews it seems pretty similar to the official one really, I can't see me wanting to replace it in a hurry.

I am not regretting getting a Paperewhite or going with the 3G model either, so far.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
https://www.etsy.com/listing/106169787/brown-leather-kindlekindle-paperwhite?ref=shop_home_feat_2

I got one of these and it totally owns

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I just got the £30 voucher code from Amazon, very tempted to upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard to Paperwhite now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I just got the £30 voucher code from Amazon, very tempted to upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard to Paperwhite now.

Why is everyone getting £30 vouchers from Amazon? Except me :smith:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why is everyone getting £30 vouchers from Amazon? Except me :smith:

I figured they'd send me one because I'd been looking at them on the site the week before the Amazon can be sneaky like that. So maybe go and check them out. Could have just been coincidence though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just got that one earlier this week and am extremely happy with it. It doesn't add much bulk at all and the magnets work perfectly.

This turned up yesterday (I still can't quite get used to Amazon delivering on a Sunday) and it's a superb little case. I haven't seen the official PW case but I can't imagine how it could be much better. The Kindle fits in it really snugly and firmly, the materials are solid - it's PU leather rather than real leather, but it feels nice to the touch and seems like it'll be pretty durable. It seems like it'll take being folded better than the official case I had for my Kindle Keyboard as well - I never liked folding that case all the way back flat on that thing as it really wrinkled the leather and I was worried it would split eventually. This seems a lot more pliable.

Loving the PW sofar, the Wikipedia lookup has already come in useful a couple of times already, and I was revising for an exam in my back garden yesterday where the Wifi can be kind of flaky so it was nice to have the 3G for it to jump on to.

I can't get over the overall size difference between the KK + case and the PW + case. Obviously the lack of keyboard is a big part of that but it's so much thinner too. It's really nice to have it be able to fit in any pocket.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I bought the Omoton case that was suggested here: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-case/

I have zero complaints. I love the flip open to read part. The official leather case is probably fine too but I don't really want to spend 1/3 of the price on a case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nook Tablet is not dead!

I suspected awhile ago that the reason why B&N got their android build certified by google and then updated with the play store and all gapps was that they wanted a big name player to start building their devices. Under current terms, OEMs cannot build a device with a forked version of Android and still get access to Google Services on their non-forked builds. It's an all or nothing thing.

Samsung will be making the next Nook tablet. It will be a variant on the Galaxy Tab 4 7" with the current Nook software stack installed in place of touchwiz.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/05/barnes-and-noble-teams-up-with-samsung-for-its-newest-nook-tablet/?ncid=rss_truncated

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Nook Tablet is not dead!

I suspected awhile ago that the reason why B&N got their android build certified by google and then updated with the play store and all gapps was that they wanted a big name player to start building their devices. Under current terms, OEMs cannot build a device with a forked version of Android and still get access to Google Services on their non-forked builds. It's an all or nothing thing.

Samsung will be making the next Nook tablet. It will be a variant on the Galaxy Tab 4 7" with the current Nook software stack installed in place of touchwiz.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/05/barnes-and-noble-teams-up-with-samsung-for-its-newest-nook-tablet/?ncid=rss_truncated

So the terrible hardware of a budget Samsung tablet and even worse software than usual. All the latest Nook tablets had going for them was really nice displays for a budget tablet, not sure what this will have to recommend it over any other tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

So the terrible hardware of a budget Samsung tablet and even worse software than usual. All the latest Nook tablets had going for them was really nice displays for a budget tablet, not sure what this will have to recommend it over any other tablet.

They just need a tablet though and this keeps them in the game without any R&D money spent. Nerds recommend Nook tablets because they were cheap, had decent hardware, and could be remade into regular Android tablets easily. That benefits B&N precisely zero.

Now, they can not spend any R&D effort, have a B&N branded tablet experience to sell in store next to the eReaders, and people won't be buying these things specifically to use them outside of B&Ns ecosystem.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've had 2-3 ebooks on my Kindle Fire that won't remember the bookmark I've set. Sometimes it goes back to the beginning of the book and sometimes it will go back to a previous bookmark. What causes this and can I fix it?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Amazon has a thing up saying that they're releasing a new "device" June 18. Not sure if it's going to be a tablet or an ereader.

https://www.amazon.com/oc/launchevent

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mnemosyne posted:

Amazon has a thing up saying that they're releasing a new "device" June 18. Not sure if it's going to be a tablet or an ereader.

https://www.amazon.com/oc/launchevent

It's a phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/04/Amazon-phone-june18/

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

drat it. Where's our new Paperwhite?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My new Paperwhite is on my desk right here and I'm very pleased with it.

I took advantage of that £30 voucher to get the device and an effectively free case. I've barely used it but the interface blows my original Kindle Keyboard out of the water.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

drat it. Where's our new Paperwhite?

What's wrong with the current one?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Endless Mike posted:

What's wrong with the current one?

People like new stuff. Also, page turn buttons.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I need a new reader and I'm almost certain I'm going to get a Kindle Paperwhite but one question: I know Calibre can convert non-Kindle formats to Kindle-ready files but how good is it at doing so? Is it basically "yeah you can convert your html/epub/whatever perfectly' or 'take your chances and the results can look anywhere from perfect formatting to awful formatting you can barely read'?

Also how good is it response-wise? Obviously it's never gonna be as fast as an LCD but I had a Kobo Glo and that thing liked to be unresponsive, crash, and mainly just 'hang up' and refuse to turn pages A LOT. It got so bad I just got rid of the drat thing in the end.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Pierson posted:

I need a new reader and I'm almost certain I'm going to get a Kindle Paperwhite but one question: I know Calibre can convert non-Kindle formats to Kindle-ready files but how good is it at doing so? Is it basically "yeah you can convert your html/epub/whatever perfectly' or 'take your chances and the results can look anywhere from perfect formatting to awful formatting you can barely read'?

Also how good is it response-wise? Obviously it's never gonna be as fast as an LCD but I had a Kobo Glo and that thing liked to be unresponsive, crash, and mainly just 'hang up' and refuse to turn pages A LOT. It got so bad I just got rid of the drat thing in the end.

It's really good at converting, takes a few seconds. Only downside is (maybe they changed it, haven't used it in awhile) that for some dumb loving reason it needs to update every day. Conversion is pretty good, sometimes there are formatting issues, but 80% of the time it works fine.

Response wise, there's a noticeable pause in the paperwhite, but it all depends on how pedantic you are. I like the kindle app on tablet better, which is instantaneous, but I've been using kindles for awhile so the noticeable pause isn't that noticeable to me. I've never had my paperwhite crash or hang up, and I was a first adopter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pierson posted:

If it's just text, no problem at all. If it's got pictures, it varies but will mostly be fine. If it's a PDF, it's going to go badly. Kindles can read PDFs unconverted, but getting them to display readably can be a huge pain.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI: Kindle on sale for $99 at Best Buy, with free shipping:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2gb/1807143.p?id=1219065404873

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have Amazon gift cards, what is the chance they match Best Buy's price?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zero One posted:

I have Amazon gift cards, what is the chance they match Best Buy's price?

Highly unlikely.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
What's the best eReader app for Android? The Kindle app works, but there are a few annoying bugs and I don't think I can use it for anything not bought from Amazon (like public domain books).

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Apoffys posted:

What's the best eReader app for Android? The Kindle app works, but there are a few annoying bugs and I don't think I can use it for anything not bought from Amazon (like public domain books).

Pretty sure you can import those "public domain books" into the Kindle app if they are a supported format (not ePub). mobi, azw, txt, pdf are all okay.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Ok, thanks. Are there any better apps for Android though? It's specifically highlighting/selecting text that's really buggy and annoying, do any other apps handle that better than Kindle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
MoonReader is the sort of go to app for that sort of shinanigins but it's fiddly as gently caress.