Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Seems like her tactics are similar even in Project M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pretty much this. People aren't mad about the fact she didn't like the game, people are mad because her post came across similar to that of a spoiled brat.

If she had went into why she didn't like it, give actual feedback etc then sure yeah that's unfortunate but it's fair. Instead as mentioned before she just came off as a huge sore loser.

It should be noted that the Facebook post was in a closed (but public) NY Project M group. In other words a PM circlejerk. It wasn't supposed to be a public statement.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Just saw luigis final smash, it's the vacuum now, works simiral to kirbys from brawl

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Something I don't think I've seen anyone post yet: Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising is an assist trophy. He just kinda...hopped around and smacked people with his big club-sword. Still, that's another KIU character people were wondering about.

(he had no chance over Palutena, I have no idea why people thought he did)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Just to be clear, the post read:

"I don't see much hope for this new game" is meaningless without elaboration, and then extrapolating that 'I know' Nintendo will 'end our fun soon' regarding Project M just comes across as both rude considering Nintendo invited her to a tournament and flew her out there for it, and paranoid considering that Project M has been around long enough that if Nintendo wanted to C&D it they've had plenty of time for it. It just further reinforces the stereotype of the competitive scene as unpleasable and paranoid.

Which, incidentally, is not what was reflected at all by the rest of the tournament. For the most part last night was good PR for all involved.

Wild Knight posted:

Something I don't think I've seen anyone post yet: Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising is an assist trophy. He just kinda...hopped around and smacked people with his big club-sword. Still, that's another KIU character people were wondering about.

Yeah, Dark Pit had a better chance of getting in as a unique character than Magnus. Magnus has the problem that people have with Chrom: just another sword guy.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 12, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LanceKing2200 posted:

Just saw luigis final smash, it's the vacuum now, works simiral to kirbys from brawl

Has anyone seen Peach's? Maybe a Super Princess Peach-esque attack would be better... well, anything would be better.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Has anyone seen Peach's? Maybe a Super Princess Peach-esque attack would be better... well, anything would be better.

Peach isn't playable in either demo build

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Hopefully Peach's FS is anything else, her Brawl one is a cruel joke.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

Hades deserves it more anyway.

Man, haveing been playing Kirby triple Deluxe lately there's so much neat stuff from that game that'd fit right in smash. Like, the whole Paintra Battle could basically be a stage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

I wish the stages would chill out a little. Those platforms on the Animal Crossing stage zip away stupid fast

All the stage transitions seem really fast, sometimes in good ways but sometimes in really jarring ones.

I just got home from Best Buy! It only took 3 and a half hours, oh boy. People in line were really nice (and obviously nerdy), talked about local Smash stuff with people and actually found two dudes to do an impromptu 2v2 with my friend when it was our turn to play! It gave us all a bit more breathing room to feel out our characters for obvious reasons (my team lost bluhhhhhh).

The two characters I got to try (Little Mac and Villager) both felt nice, especially Mac who had a great tempo and visceral feel to everything he did. Charging the B move was kinda awkward at first but mostly because it works like a DK charge punch except when you hit it the second time it releases instead of storing it up, and it auto-releases after a bit (and has a minimum charge time too). All of his tilts and A moves felt like they were trying to lead into more stuff, his down tilt in particular, but the engine wasn't really cooperating.

Villager's moves were cute but lacked impact - The Gyroid has a really nice explosion but doesn't cause any notable knockback and is pretty unsatisfying, and the Tree has the opposite problem where the opponent sorta just Goes Up but it's a lot of fun to actually hit. His/her ground moves seem pretty good but aren't particularly interesting, though up and down air both have glorious huge turnip hitboxes, even if they sorta suffered from Brawl MK "up and down air are the same move" syndrome.

My friend played Megaman and seemed to like him once he got a handle on the weirdness of the character. He said his A moves (both ground and aerial) were all really nice, both in terms of satisfaction and actual usefulness, but didn't really like any of his B options. The first thing we noticed was just how incredibly floaty all the newcomers not named Mac were - Everyone kinda felt like MK or Wario (with less air control) off the ground. Combined with Brawl airdodging and it makes some interactions kinda janky? If you liked air movement in Brawl for the floatier characters you'll probably like the feeling of most of the new cast.

I definitely want more time with the game, but I can also see the more general things people have said as pretty accurate (I obviously can't comment on the specifics that people described after having a day+ with the game); The game is only "between melee and brawl" in that characters seem to run faster and jab combos come out fast, but the things people actually liked about the speed of melee and P:M was the hitstun and ability to do 3-4 hit combos. The throw delay is huge so if you like characters who use their throws to do anything other than straight up throw someone off the stage then you'll be kinda sad about that. Excited to play more, hoping for more of the good (~*~lil' mac~*~) and a bit less of the bad (why can't I stop jabbing and throw you as villager?!). And of course, this is all based on a very small amount of game time, so there's that disclaimer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Just to be clear, the post read:

"I don't see much hope for this new game" is meaningless without elaboration, and then extrapolating that 'I know' Nintendo will 'end our fun soon' regarding Project M just comes across as both rude considering Nintendo invited her to a tournament and flew her out there for it, and paranoid considering that Project M has been around long enough that if Nintendo wanted to C&D it they've had plenty of time for it. It just further reinforces the stereotype of the competitive scene as unpleasable and paranoid.

Which, incidentally, is not what was reflected at all by the rest of the tournament. For the most part last night was good PR for all involved.

I think she meant that with Smash 4 being out people will forget about Brawl and Project M. Which is dumb in a lot of ways because Project M is played by a very, very small dedicated group of people that are willing to go through a few hoops to play this mod only a handful of people have even heard of.

Even in a Project M circle jerk FB this was lovely but hey it's the competitive smash community!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Was Super Princess Peach the game where she used Crying and Emotions to defeat her foes?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Just a quick note from checking out the Best Buy demo, Sonic had an alternate costume that wasn't blue (it looked like Silver) so hopefully he has some more distinct alts this time around.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chaltab posted:

Yeah, I was someone who didn't have the most flattering impression of the competitive scene before, but earlier when the two winners were on they were both really gracious and generally really excited to be there. I even felt kinda bad about judging scarf kid since it turned out to be a gift from his mom. Aside from some social awkwardness and tediousness with the brackets everything seemed to go really well.

Also Nintendo was pretty cool to make this gesture towards that section of the community, it seems weird to turn around and bash their game and preemptively paint them as the bad guy for shutting down Project M (which they have also been pretty cool about not trying to shut down).

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

Was Super Princess Peach the game where she used Crying and Emotions to defeat her foes?

Yeah, it was. So maybe her final smash could be Anger and she lights herself on fire and stomps around for a bit.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Even in a Project M circle jerk FB this was lovely but hey it's the competitive smash community!

If it helps, she deleted the post and apologized.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Xad posted:

Yeah, it was. So maybe her final smash could be Anger and she lights herself on fire and stomps around for a bit.

Wouldn't that basically be the Curry item?

I forgot she wasn't in the demo build, hopefully they're working on making her beastly like she was in Melee.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

F. Lobot posted:

Good, now we won't have to e-stalk and eventually murder her.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Just got home from work to watch the tourney footage, and Little Mac has really been a blast to watch!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I definitely want more time with the game, but I can also see the more general things people have said as pretty accurate (I obviously can't comment on the specifics that people described after having a day+ with the game); The game is only "between melee and brawl" in that characters seem to run faster and jab combos come out fast, but the things people actually liked about the speed of melee and P:M was the hitstun and ability to do 3-4 hit combos. The throw delay is huge so if you like characters who use their throws to do anything other than straight up throw someone off the stage then you'll be kinda sad about that. Excited to play more, hoping for more of the good (~*~lil' mac~*~) and a bit less of the bad (why can't I stop jabbing and throw you as villager?!).

That sucks a lot.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

F. Lobot posted:

That does help. It was just a really jarring thing to say after the previous night seemed so fun and happy and energetic.

So, I have some misgivings about Smash Run. I hope there's some ability to choose the rules for the final battle, because it feels weird to run a maze for five minutes and collect all those buffs only to use them in a one-minute fight. I hope that was just to facilitate the line moving along, but I can't shake the feeling that it isn't, because none of the publicity about Smash Run (and they've had a lot of publicity for some reason) has given any indication that you'll be able to set the rules for the actual fight, and the game is just going to choose flower heads or quick-launching or super sudden death for you because it doesn't trust you?

That's probably baseless and I hope I'm wrong. Still can't help but worry.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Conan O'Brien's going to playing Smash on his show tonight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Considering the customization they allow you to do for the rest of the modes, it would seem odd if they didn't let you adjust at least the time for the smash run matches. We will see as always.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Smash Run demo was a lot of fun*, but I agree that the ensuring fight is a huge buzzkill. Sure, you can fight people in the castle (I think???) but it's loving HUGE and not really in either player's best interest since it'll just make players 3 and 4 have more time for getting buff as hell. I'd be shocked if they didn't let you customize it a bit, but then again they seem to be heavily against customization in the online modes (doesn't For Fun just pick a completely random stage and a default item setting?) so maybe not? Who knows. Fingers crossed!

*Getting 300+ speed as Mac is a hoot

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Considering the customization they allow you to do for the rest of the modes, it would seem odd if they didn't let you adjust at least the time for the smash run matches. We will see as always.

If it's anything like City Trial from Kirby Air Ride (and it clearly already is), in that game you could pick from 3, 5, or 7 minutes iirc.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Countblanc posted:

The Smash Run demo was a lot of fun*, but I agree that the ensuring fight is a huge buzzkill. Sure, you can fight people in the castle (I think???) but it's loving HUGE and not really in either player's best interest since it'll just make players 3 and 4 have more time for getting buff as hell. I'd be shocked if they didn't let you customize it a bit, but then again they seem to be heavily against customization in the online modes (doesn't For Fun just pick a completely random stage and a default item setting?) so maybe not? Who knows. Fingers crossed!

*Getting 300+ speed as Mac is a hoot

I'm pretty sure it was only For Glory that did anything to stage and item setting. For Fun is supposed to be classic Smash in terms of options, plus possibly even more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Conan O'Brien is going to "play" Smash on his show tonight. (:ssh: He's really bad at games)

Should be good entertainment.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Wild Knight posted:

That does help. It was just a really jarring thing to say after the previous night seemed so fun and happy and energetic.

So, I have some misgivings about Smash Run. I hope there's some ability to choose the rules for the final battle, because it feels weird to run a maze for five minutes and collect all those buffs only to use them in a one-minute fight. I hope that was just to facilitate the line moving along, but I can't shake the feeling that it isn't, because none of the publicity about Smash Run (and they've had a lot of publicity for some reason) has given any indication that you'll be able to set the rules for the actual fight, and the game is just going to choose flower heads or quick-launching or super sudden death for you because it doesn't trust you?

That's probably baseless and I hope I'm wrong. Still can't help but worry.

IIRC, back in the Smash Bros Direct, Sakurai said something amongst the line of continuing fighting with your power ups after the fight. It's easily missed and hasn't been referenced ever since, but he said it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I bet he picks ZSS or WFT.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Basically everything you want to know about mechanics changes, their implications on game design, and what exactly the competitive community wants, is contained here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/27wshi/praxis_reply_to_what_makes_a_game_competitive_and/

quote:

What makes a game competitive?

If you get the chance, I highly recommend reading David Sirlin's book "Playing to Win" on competitive gaming and game design. It's an easy read and really enlightening.

The real test of a competitive game is encouraging Yomi (reading opponents as defined by David Sirlin) fostered by appraisal skills. I'd go so far to say that this is the true test of whether a game is properly competitive.

Rock Paper Scissors is not competitive because, while it involves reading opponents, the lack of tying this in to appraisal skills means there is no depth. You are merely guessing based on their habits.

An uneven game of rock paper scissors has more depth. For example, let's say you win more points when you win with rock. Now, I know you want to use rock. This makes it very dangerous to play Scissors. Which makes paper a very safe move (paper beats the most powerful move in the game, Rock, and loses to the riskiest move in the game). There is more information for you to judge the opponent now, but the game is still too shallow; you will hit a skill ceiling very quickly and the game will devolve in to good guesses and there will be a generally winning algorithm quickly.

As games grow in depth, you get uneven rock paper scissors games within uneven rock paper scissors games. The complexity grows and grows. Even poker, for all its randomness, is competitive, because you can figure out the basis for your opponent's decision based on pot odds and betting positions and have to make appraisal-based reads from that. A normal fighting game gives you an uneven rock paper scissors game often once every second in certain scenarios. Smash does this all the time- your DI between each hit of a combo is a decision game, as is your opponent's chases. Your decisions on knockdown are a complicated uneven rock paper scissors. You know what they want to do, you know what way to roll to escape that, but they know that you know that.

The most basic test of whether a game is competitive at base levels is this: Do the* same players consistently win tournaments*? Poker, Melee, Brawl, and Starcraft all say yes. If the game has a skill ceiling (like rock paper scissors), results will be all over the place.
Now, I've defined a basic competitive game here, and technically, Brawl is that too. However, we want to see Smash 4 as a game at Evo, as a game with a future, as a game with viewership and sponsors and a huge following. And to do that, the game needs two things:

Watchability and aggression.

The reason you never see 200k live viewers on a chess stream is that while chess is a very good competitive game, it is not watchable. The game mechanics do not force aggression, and the decisionmaking is so abstract that if you are not a chess player you cannot enjoy it.

Brawl is like chess in this respect. Brawl players enjoy watching Brawl because there is some depth to the game, but spectators do not enjoy Brawl because much of the depth involves trying to gain an edge and then wall your opponent out until they die trying to get to you or the time runs out, or the logic is too abstract for them to see anything but players trading hits.

Further, a game in which players trade hits is not a very well designed competitive game to begin with. In every other competitive game that is taken seriously (Street Fighter, Marvel, Melee) landing hits grants a significant edge to the player. They now get to chase followup. The rock paper scissors games are more uneven, because you know they really want to land their combo moves.
Brawl is a game of knicks and little hits, watching percentages and making decisions on small leads. Mango famously said about Melee, "one stock is not a lead".

I come from a Brawl background and a long Brawl tournament history and I played the game a lot and like it, but it is not a well designed competitive game for viewership for this reason. Brawl is not watchable or aggressive. Brawl rewards converting tiny material wins and trades in to an endgame win.

Smash 4 needs to offer a high skill ceiling with lots of depth, encourage appraisal based yomi, and it needs to be watchable. These three items are all that Nintendo fans want out of it. If there's no wavedashing, oh well. Smash 64 didn't have it, and Smash 64 is an aggressive, fun to watch game, because there are huge rewards for hitting someone.

But every indication is that every design decision for Smash 4 is designed to push the game in the direction Brawl went.

The added endlag to throws can't be for any reason except to prevent throw combos (which existed in Brawl- Kirby's fthrow and dthrow both had combos). The inability to ledgehog essentially allows players back on to the stage and is designed to prevent tournament style ledgeplay. Even Brawl's movement techniques were removed (glide tossing, DACUS, etc). Most moves seem to have higher base knockback to prevent combos even with the increased hitstun, Smash DI has either been removed or nerfed, the shield is still like Brawl (low blockstun = high powered shield), and evasion techniques have been buffed (rolls are very very powerful as an escape tool, but still not a good approach, spotdodges are buffed, shield is still super powerful). All of the design changes unfortunately point to very anticompetitive decisions. It is, again, a game of little knicks and hits and abstract spacing.

tl;dr: We want a game that is deep enough and aggressive enough to be fun to play, while simultaneously being watchable enough that it doesn't draw ire from other fighting game communities and can be played at Evo and MLG to a crowd. Brawl was deep (though less than Melee), but it was not aggressive, fast, or watchable.

In closing:
It's not about wavedashing. It's not about L cancelling. People harp on these items too much, and then get caught in debate about semantics and what is or is not a glitch. It's about a game design that has reliable approach options, and rewards the attacker more than the defender. Movement options (which both wavedashing and L cancelling are) are a great way to accomplish this, but even Smash 64 handles this well by simply having limited escape options. Combos are another way to accomplish this, as it grants the attacker significant leads once they get in, compared to running away and throwing projectiles. A game that favors approach becomes a fun game to watch.

Smash 4's game design seems to attack both of these, buffing escape options (rolls) and not providing good movement options.
The competitive community dreams of seeing Smash 4 go to new heights, becoming a game to rival League of Legends and Starcraft. But when you see a campy finals match that goes to time, it is not the player's fault, but a symptom of the game's design. The fear is not a fear of change, or not a fear that we can't play a game without wavedashing. The fear is that if the game's design is too similar to Brawl, it will be a fun casual game, and it will be deeply enjoyed by a few...but if it is not watchable, if it is designed in a manner that evolves in to trading hits and running, it will not be able to become the Next Big Thing that was dreamed of.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ometeotl posted:

I bet he picks ZSS or WFT.

I hope it's a newer build so he can play as his Mii self.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

quote:

The fear is that if the game's design is too similar to Brawl, it will be a fun casual game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

F. Lobot posted:

Basically everything you want to know about mechanics changes, their implications on game design, and what exactly the competitive community wants, is contained here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/27wshi/praxis_reply_to_what_makes_a_game_competitive_and/

Good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No one who uses the word "yomi" unironically (unless talking about the board game, which owns) is actually good at their respective game. That guy is weird.

e: I stand corrected, apparently Praxis said it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I haven't been watchign the Treehouse, has anything super cool been announced for Smash? I heard tell of new stages, what were they?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Unless I'm mistaken, that's not one of the 16 people at the tournament. So it's not someone who's had more than 10 minutes of playtime with it.

How can anyone glean all this stuff from two two-minute matches maximum at their local Best Buy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I for one eagerly await the upcoming Project B hack for Smash4WiiU.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

We are but casual scum dancing to a dead sound of a fun party game that has random elements know as items. It's 20XX and the end is near. Gaze upon the wall of forever and weep at the unbalance.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cleretic posted:

So I haven't been watchign the Treehouse, has anything super cool been announced for Smash? I heard tell of new stages, what were they?

Some 3ds stages were shown, like the Reset Bomb stage and Gerudo Valley. Eeeeh I think there was some more stuff but I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hate the concept of "playing to win" to its very core, in every game

• Locked thread