Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Hello, what's this?

Say, that's not a hard drive.

Sheeeeit son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

etalian posted:

No gun and tactical knife, how are you supposed to defend you King Oscar from petty street thugs?

Easy. Open the tin.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

doctorfrog posted:

Hello, what's this?

What the gently caress is a napkin doing in there? Wipe your hands on the nearest grassy or dirt surface. If things are really out of hand use shop towels.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Withdrawal Plans posted:

What the gently caress is a napkin doing in there? Wipe your hands on the nearest grassy or dirt surface. If things are really out of hand use shop towels.

It's for wrapping the fork in before you stick it back in the case.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Sizone posted:

It's for wrapping the fork in before you stick it back in the case.

Just dad up and wipe the fork on the leg of your dad jeans.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Duh Ugh posted:

Just dad up and wipe the fork on the leg of your dad jeans.

I said wrapping, not wiping. No amount of wiping ever really desardines a fork

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Sizone posted:

I said wrapping, not wiping. No amount of wiping ever really desardines a fork

Why would you want to desardine anything? The wiping should just be to keep any oil on the fork from soaking into the case. As an added bonus it makes you smell more like canned fish so that your coworkers will leave you the hell alone.

naem
May 29, 2011

the best thread

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

doctorfrog posted:

Hello, what's this?

This may be the best lunch box ever made

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Whoooo sardine thread, oh how I love your little fishy goodness since I was a little kid, growing up on the ocean helps to love all those fishy flavors. Now that I am a dad I get to pass my love of sardines down to my little one.

I hit up my commissary on base today and they had a rather large selection of sardines, kippers and mollusks, picked up these goodies for some snacking later on.

I haven't seen those jalapeno or pepper flavors yet, can't wait to try them out to see how the fish taste.

Went down the oriental isle and saw these caned sardines.

Has anybody ever tried these before? I am curious about their taste and texture, especially at that price point.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Fred Meyers has Bumblebee 'dines for $1/ tin. I bought three, one of each flavor, mustard, olive oil, & hot sauce. I'll go back and buy more when I figure out which one I like the best.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

platedlizard posted:

Fred Meyers has Bumblebee 'dines for $1/ tin. I bought three, one of each flavor, mustard, olive oil, & hot sauce. I'll go back and buy more when I figure out which one I like the best.

Please let me know how the olive oil is. I saw those at my Fred Meyer, but I was scared of the price and brand.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I don't think Bumblebee even sells sardines in olive oil, it's most likely soybean oil.

Also, they suck.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

psyopmonkey posted:

Please let me know how the olive oil is. I saw those at my Fred Meyer, but I was scared of the price and brand.

Sure thing :) I started with the mustard since that was the one I was most doubtful about. It's a bit bland which is surprising for mustard, but not bad imo. I'll let you know how the olive oil tasted when I get to it.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

TheManWithNoName posted:

I don't think Bumblebee even sells sardines in olive oil, it's most likely soybean oil.

Also, they suck.

Wait you're right, it is soybean oil, I just assumed it was olive. Oh well, will report on that trip when I get to it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got a cat how crazy will cats go for sardines?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
if you're down with the Prince he'll save you some money.

http://www.crownprince.com/frequent-buyer-program.htm

quote:

Start the Crown Prince habit and save! Mail the UPC bar codes from five cans (any variety) of Crown Prince, Crown Prince Natural or Ocean Prince Seafood products along with your complete name and address and we'll send you five coupons, each good for 50¢ off any Crown Prince item. You may send in as many sets of five UPC's at one time. Please allow 6 - 8 weeks for your coupons to be processed. There is no limit to the number of coupons you can earn, so eat up!

this is how I'm supporting my crippling smoked kipper habit

Lawman 0 posted:

Really loving crazy, friend. Really loving crazy.

Edit: holy poo poo also free canned fish cookbook if you send in a few bar codes

http://www.crownprince.com/free-cookbook.htm

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Lawman 0 posted:

I dont know if the little bones would be a good idea for cats.

Gotta protect the babies!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

platedlizard posted:

The mustard ones are actually decent! Don't get careless when opening your tin like I did the other night and end up with mustard stains on your pants. Maybe just take your pants off first and eat your sardines in your underwear, mustard sauce or no.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Withdrawal Plans posted:

The mustard ones are actually decent! Don't get careless when opening your tin like I did the other night and end up with mustard stains on your pants. Maybe just take your pants off first and eat your sardines in your underwear, mustard sauce or no.

The most dad way to eat sardines, I'm growing balls right now just reading that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure mustard stains just magically find their way onto jeans, even if you take every possible precaution against it.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Withdrawal Plans posted:

I tried one of the mustard ones and it was ok but it was weirdly sweet, for mustard

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

platedlizard posted:

The most dad way to eat sardines, I'm growing balls right now just reading that.

Standing up, sure. Sitting on the couch eating in your underwear and spilling on yourself is gross goon type behavior. I've only eaten sardines standing up in the kitchen. I have a bunch of dried out yard stuff (leaves, twigs, branches, weeds) to get rid of - I plan to hook up the hose for safety and make a bonfire in the backyard soon and I think a can of sardines and crackers will go well with that adventure.

I am not a Dad but in the 70's and '80's my Dad would make huge cool fires to get rid of junk. I'd be assigned the job of holding a hose. This was years before recycling and yard waste collection became a thing.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lol if you don't have 5 kinds of mustard in your fridge already from 3 years ago

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

naem posted:

Lol if you don't have 5 kinds of mustard in your fridge already from 3 years ago

ive got grey poupon, frenchs yellow, a strong dijon, a whole grain, and a bullshit honey mustard one from a gift basket, at least a couple of them are multiple years old. I knew that without getting up to check

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Habanero Mustard.

Cheap Fred Meyers Yellow.

Mustard seeds in my cupboard.

Suck it noobz.

:colbert:

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

naem posted:

I'm too lazy to count. Odds are good that there are more types of mustard in there than actual food.

Fake Edit: Yes, my fridge does actually contain some food.

2nd Fake Edit: Not counting the cottage cheese that used to be milk.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just ate an entire can of King Oscar sardines. I put them on some triscuits along with cream cheese and Tabasco sauce.

They were fantastic. My dog got up and sat next so I gave her 3 fishies, too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

Also, they suck.

Guess who owns King Oscar.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Duck and Cover posted:

Guess who owns King Oscar.

Yep. First tin I bought I looked on the back of the crinkly wrapping and there it was.

Doesn't mean they're not good. Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

Yep. First tin I bought I looked on the back of the crinkly wrapping and there it was.

Weirdest thing is that they own beach cliff too. So it's like they have a separate brand for their low, mid and high tier sardines.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Well yeah King Oscars in olive oil are pretty much the only sardines I get.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sizone posted:

Weirdest thing is that they own beach cliff too. So it's like they have a separate brand for their low, mid and high tier sardines.

and Beach Cliff is canned by the same cannery as literally every tin of sardines coming out of Canada. Brunswick is another one of the Bumblebee brands and is also produced at their Canadian cannery.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WalMart had a decent stock of King Oscars Sardines, and I also got a few tins of Bar Harbor Smoked Kippers, which are quite good. Also picked up something that looks promising, Cole's Portuguese Sardines. I don't think I've had Portuguese sardines yet.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Trip report: I had the Bumblebee sardines in soy oil on some artisian white bread (the chewy crusty kind that's oh so good) and tobasco sauce. The dines were a bit bland but better than tuna so I think I'll be making the switch when it comes to snack food items. Not bad for a buck imo

E. how the gently caress did I get melon out of making

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 13, 2014

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was telling my parents about the magic of sardines and my mom accidentally bought canned salmon. I can just put it in some scrambled eggs or spaghetti sauce, right?

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Yeah, either way would be a fantastic option to ruin it.

Alternatively, open the can, squeeze a little of the salmon juice out, discard lid, pick up a fork and you are done with prep.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Rand alPaul posted:

I was telling my parents about the magic of sardines and my mom accidentally bought canned salmon. I can just put it in some scrambled eggs or spaghetti sauce, right?

From earlier in the thread:

Big Beef City posted:

Take it out of the can and hold it in your hand.
Using your thumb and a small amount of running water, rub off the skin that's still on it in places. Move the large chunks and remove most of the spine if you can.

Put two cans worth of the meat in a bowl.
Crack an egg into the bowl.
Put some bread crumbs in there.
Put some chopped fresh parsley, finely diced onion and celery, salt, and the juice of one lemon also into the bowl.
Mix into paste.
Put paste into breadpan/shape into loaf form.
Bake.

Salmon loaf.

Additional pro-tier add in ingredients: hot sauce, capers, dill, marjoram, etc.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rand alPaul posted:

don't troll the sardine thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Trip report: had the Bumblebee sardines in "hotsauce". I guess my hot-o-meter is set way higher than Bumblebee's because I would have called that mild. Still good though.

• Locked thread