Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Thatll do pig thankyou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I didn't see anything in the OP so: What's a good app for sharing lists/todos with my wife? preferably supports iOS, Mac, and Win, but only iOS is a must. I prefer simple apps over things that try to throw everything including the kitchen sink.

I've just installed Avocado which lets you do exactly this, plus share messages/calendar/photos with each other. Free for up to 5 todo lists and a nice simple interface - give it a try.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Todoist and Wunderlist are also pretty nice.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

oversteer posted:

I've just installed Avocado which lets you do exactly this, plus share messages/calendar/photos with each other. Free for up to 5 todo lists and a nice simple interface - give it a try.

I was using couple, but it's slow as all getout, and I don't really care for the interface. Do you know how the two compare?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Turambar posted:

About Pocket Casts, does it have the following features?

- Geofencing (set locations where I know I have WiFi that trigger a refresh)
- What are the possible playback rates? Downcast goes from 1 -> 1.25 to 1.5. Does PC offer something in between?

Regarding geofencing, do you mean for podcast downloads? You could turn on background refresh for the app and within the settings of the app, have it download while on wifi only.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that. That would probably work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

bobfather posted:

I think IFTTT can automatically upload your iOS photos to Google Drive.

Late reply, but thanks for this dude. I cant wait to see what other little things I can automate with this program.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

tuyop posted:

http://help.apple.com/icloud/#/mm4bb3fa6e

You just have to do it through the webapp.

I've been trying to set up this shared reminders list set up with two of my friends, and they got their invitation emails, but after they clicked it, the list still won't show up in their reminders. Do they have to open up Reminders in OS X (or in a desktop browser) to get it to finally sync?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Late reply, but thanks for this dude. I cant wait to see what other little things I can automate with this program.

I just want it to put reminders I set in Evernote in my iOS reminders. :qq:

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I've been trying to set up this shared reminders list set up with two of my friends, and they got their invitation emails, but after they clicked it, the list still won't show up in their reminders. Do they have to open up Reminders in OS X (or in a desktop browser) to get it to finally sync?

I honestly don't know how to fix that, I remember it took my wife and me a little bit to get our shared list working but I don't remember what we did.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Are you sending it to the email associated with their iCloud account? Not sure if that matters.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

ZShakespeare posted:

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I didn't see anything in the OP so: What's a good app for sharing lists/todos with my wife? preferably supports iOS, Mac, and Win, but only iOS is a must. I prefer simple apps over things that try to throw everything including the kitchen sink.

My wife and I have been using Trello extensively for the last year, after monkeying around with a lot of different apps/processes.

It's free, simple as hell, and it's incredibly powerful/scalable as far as what you can do with it.

https://trello.com - web
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trello-organize-anything/id461504587 - iOS

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 11, 2014

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Turambar posted:

About Pocket Casts, does it have the following features?

- Geofencing (set locations where I know I have WiFi that trigger a refresh)
- What are the possible playback rates? Downcast goes from 1 -> 1.25 to 1.5. Does PC offer something in between?

It's all better than this in iOS 7. Pocket casts just downloads using Background App Refresh whenever it's on wifi.

0.5x to 3x

Steps up and down in tenth increments.

fjom
Mar 6, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire
I recently dumped Downcast due to its constant inability to actually finish detecting/downloading new episodes overnight. Pocket Casts works great and I almost switched to it, but the way it does playlists was more tolerable than likeable to me, so I ended up with iCatcher, which is Downcast on steroids. It is ugly but if you can look past that you can customize it as much as you want, and itīs been working great.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
So, how exactly does Background App Refresh work, say with Dropbox Camera Upload? I heard it only fires when the location services are used when the device is moved to a new area or something. I have an iPad that mostly just stays in the house, and I didn't really notice Dropbox uploading any pictures automatically until I fired it back up (my Android always does it automatically), so will it just not work for me while I'm at my home?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Does anyone use Feedly? And if so, did it stop working yesterday? Mine just loads a white screen and never shows articles.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Aggro posted:

Does anyone use Feedly? And if so, did it stop working yesterday? Mine just loads a white screen and never shows articles.

They're getting DDOS'd, check out their blog

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yup it seems down.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Aggro posted:

The Feedly site is currently down due to denial of service attacks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not only is feedly being ddosed, they're being held for ransom for $300 by the attackers.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Not only is feedly being ddosed, they're being held for ransom for $300 by the attackers.
Really? $300?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The article I read said groups ask for a low amount because the company rather just pay them then deal with the attack. The feedly incident brought up a story from a co-worker, his old company was in the same situation and had to pay a group $400 over bitcoin to get them to stop attacking their servers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
...so how much does it cost to run a DDoS attack on a company?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Practically nothing if you do it via a bunch of computers that don't belong to you but that you have compromised using malware.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tuyop posted:

The moment a company pays for the DDoS to stop, if anyone else gets wind of it, other attackers can attack the company and demand money too. Similarly, there's no guarantee the attacker will stop if you pay them. Even if the attacker were nice enough to stop, your vulnerability to attack hasn't been fixed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Practically nothing if you do it via a bunch of computers that don't belong to you but that you have compromised using malware.

Man, should have taken computer science instead of ethics. Oh well. :(

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I have another app request. I'm working towards integrating iPads into the classrooms at my schools. Is there an app that will let me broadcast what is on my iPad to all of my students at the same time, so they can see what is happening on my iPad on theirs? Also, one step further, is there an app that lets me like, grant permission to control MY iPad from THEIR iPad?

For example I'm running solitaire on my iPad. On their iPad they can all see what I'm doing on mine. I want little Timmy to make the next move, so I just like press a button or something and it grants Timmy access to control what is on my iPad from his.

Oh god does that make any sense.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
There's Vision, but I haven't used their iPad software at all. Definitely wouldn't let you remote control a student's iPad, though. The security model on iOS makes that nearly impossible. (You could remote control a single app if that app was programmed to allow it, but that app would not be able to affect anything on the iPad other than itself. iOS apps live in a room with 4 walls and no doors or windows, just a mail slot to send things in and out in very limited ways.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

aherdofpenguins posted:

I have another app request. I'm working towards integrating iPads into the classrooms at my schools. Is there an app that will let me broadcast what is on my iPad to all of my students at the same time, so they can see what is happening on my iPad on theirs? Also, one step further, is there an app that lets me like, grant permission to control MY iPad from THEIR iPad?

For example I'm running solitaire on my iPad. On their iPad they can all see what I'm doing on mine. I want little Timmy to make the next move, so I just like press a button or something and it grants Timmy access to control what is on my iPad from his.

Oh god does that make any sense.

A workaround would be to use airdrop, though I think that would be a mess with like 30 students.

I'd see it working like: you have a question posted in your LMS in Safari, AirDrop the link to the class. The question would be something like, "find a list of the major belligerents in the War of 1812 without using Wikipedia"

Students search around and when one finds an answer, they airdrop the link back to you and you can send that out to everyone and discuss why it's a good or bad source, whether it's correct, etc.

If I wanted to do it with 30 students I'd use something like a synced Evernote notebook or a twitter hashtag to collect and push content around the class. It would be the same workflow in any case.

If you're interested in screencasting what's on the ipad for a math class or something, this is not the solution. There are a few apps listed here that I haven't tried.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

A workaround would be to use airdrop, though I think that would be a mess with like 30 students.

I'd see it working like: you have a question posted in your LMS in Safari, AirDrop the link to the class. The question would be something like, "find a list of the major belligerents in the War of 1812 without using Wikipedia"

Students search around and when one finds an answer, they airdrop the link back to you and you can send that out to everyone and discuss why it's a good or bad source, whether it's correct, etc.

If I wanted to do it with 30 students I'd use something like a synced Evernote notebook or a twitter hashtag to collect and push content around the class. It would be the same workflow in any case.

If you're interested in screencasting what's on the ipad for a math class or something, this is not the solution. There are a few apps listed here that I haven't tried.

There's a program I use that can do something similar to this called Socrative, I'm talking more passing control of whatever is on screen to the students.

Vision is close, but I don't think that the students can interact with whatever is on screen at all....

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So here's a thing I totally don't get: what's the point of a launcher like launch center pro?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
~e: wrong thread~

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tuyop posted:

So here's a thing I totally don't get: what's the point of a launcher like launch center pro?

I've tried really hard to find a use for it, and I've come up short. I really don't see the point.

Drafts, on the other hand, is amazing.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Is there a decent photo vault app?

I'm trying to find something with per-album PIN protection that syncs to Dropbox and doesn't have a lovely UI. Ideally it would work like a photo app (not like a password storage app that can also store photos). Does something like that exist?

(I don't need it to be encrypted on Dropbox or anything... I just want to prevent people from casually swiping through some of my photos.)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm using onenote at work to take notes during meetings. I also take a lot of notes on PDFs using goodreader. Is there a way to send those annotated PDFs to be saved in onenote? I believe this can be done on the computer but I want to be able to do it on the iPad itself.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm using onenote at work to take notes during meetings. I also take a lot of notes on PDFs using goodreader. Is there a way to send those annotated PDFs to be saved in onenote? I believe this can be done on the computer but I want to be able to do it on the iPad itself.

In the PDF does onenote show up in goodreader's open in... menu?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Nope. I don't think the iOS app will be able to import PDFs. I was more hoping that there's an app that specifically imports things into onenote books synced via onedrive. The OneNote app is great except for attaching PDFs.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Lexicon posted:

I've tried really hard to find a use for it, and I've come up short. I really don't see the point.

Drafts, on the other hand, is amazing.

My am pumped for what Drafts will be able to do in iOS 8.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Nope. I don't think the iOS app will be able to import PDFs. I was more hoping that there's an app that specifically imports things into onenote books synced via onedrive. The OneNote app is great except for attaching PDFs.

Can you email them to onenote?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
LCP is a fun demo and fun to use and play with for the first few days, but it really just isn't faster most of the time. If I have an action to send a message to a group, it's generally the same two taps it takes to open Messages and get the thread.

Drafts, though. Ooooooh Drafts. Being able to add multiple Fantastical events by just making a list of them is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a very reliable and specific calendar app. I've been using the stock Apple calendar linked with my GMail for a very long time and for some reason it is not as reliable as I would like it to be. My girlfriend doesn't have a smartphone, so she looks at the calendar with her iTouch (when she is connected to wi-fi). Recently, I will add some work events, some outings with friends and all of them will show up with no problem, ASIDE FROM ONE. Needless to say, this causes a bit of confusion with planning and what not.

Anyway, is there anything out that that is a very *simple* calendar app that can sync up? I've looked at using Avacado for a bit, but their calendar is lacking some very basic functions; such as making something an "all day" event.

• Locked thread