Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

oxbrain posted:

If only he'd had two guns. :(

If only he'd had proper threat assessment training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If only those poor shooters had had more guns. Wait...

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Republicans posted:

Yeah, he could have stopped the shooter and proven Wayne LaPierre right.

Has that ever happened? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious how often a mass shooting has been stopped by a vigilante with a gun.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheBalor posted:

Has that ever happened? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious how often a mass shooting has been stopped by a vigilante with a gun.

No. There's some question about that mall shooter who might have seen a permit holder with his gun out right before he capped himself, but that's thin evidence. It's actually prompted some discussion among the more honest members of the community. A few folks are climbing down from the paladin sheepdog bullshit because it obviously has no basis in reality. It's simply not a scenario anyone has figured out how to deal with, let alone random permit holders.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheBalor posted:

The seattle college guy was stopped by pepper spray (instead of a gun) last week iirc.

Guns aren't needed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheBalor posted:

Well I went back and for with a dumbfuck who cited this argument:

http://ccwvslaw.org/item/1332

But it's pretty loving stupid and the guy specifically chose to ignore the FBI standard for what constitutes a mass shooting of 4 victims and used 5 so he would reach the conclusion he wanted.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BraveUlysses posted:

Well I went back and for with a dumbfuck who cited this argument:

http://ccwvslaw.org/item/1332

But it's pretty loving stupid and the guy specifically chose to ignore the FBI standard for what constitutes a mass shooting of 4 victims and used 5 so he would reach the conclusion he wanted.

That article uses some pretty nonstandard definitions, and the site as a whole seems to be a hodgepodge of gun rights propaganda, bitcoin advocacy, and dog-whistle racism (i.e. "Why Do Blacks Advocate Gun Control" with a conclusion that it's because Blacks are a. uneducated, and b. "trying to act like white liberals"; or "Short-Circuiting the Monkey Dance" where a stereotypically Black mugger waves his arms and beats his chest in a "genetically-programmed ritual".) What else can you say?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kaal posted:

That article uses some pretty nonstandard definitions, and the site as a whole seems to be a hodgepodge of gun rights propaganda, bitcoin advocacy, and dog-whistle racism (i.e. "Why Do Blacks Advocate Gun Control" with a conclusion that it's because Blacks are a. uneducated, and b. "trying to act like white liberals"; or "Short-Circuiting the Monkey Dance" where a stereotypically Black mugger waves his arms and beats his chest in a "genetically-programmed ritual".) What else can you say?

Yeah its a terrible website but to be fair to the dumbfuck he was using the original source material.

It's still a piss poor analysis and yes that website is horrible.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TheBalor posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/concealed-carry-renfest/1/

Although this is a comedy article, it is still one of the ways to describe this.

I think there have been mass shootings interrupted by armed citizens, but I think in almost all of those cases, A) there was already victims and B) the armed citizen was an off-duty officer or someone with training. The idea that Joe Schmo, gun enthusiast with a concealed weapon is going to somehow see the shooter ready to shoot and quick draw and kill him before he can start shooting, seems to be a really unlikely fantasy.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

glowing-fish posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/concealed-carry-renfest/1/

Although this is a comedy article, it is still one of the ways to describe this.

I think there have been mass shootings interrupted by armed citizens, but I think in almost all of those cases, A) there was already victims and B) the armed citizen was an off-duty officer or someone with training. The idea that Joe Schmo, gun enthusiast with a concealed weapon is going to somehow see the shooter ready to shoot and quick draw and kill him before he can start shooting, seems to be a really unlikely fantasy.

Not really sure how (A) is relevant. If the data did show many instances of armed citizens stopping an in-progress shooting I know I'd be compelled that there's at least valid argument to be made.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The best idea in a chaotic shooting situation: untrained people pulling out their guns to return fire.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
In the Giffords shooting, there was actually a CP holder who was aiming and ready to shoot, however, he realized he had no idea who was who and decided against any action. Thank god, because the guy he thought was a problem was really a good guy tackling the shooter.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Stanos posted:

The best idea in a chaotic shooting situation: untrained people pulling out their guns to return fire.

As clearly demonstrated by laser tag arenas and paintball parks nationwide.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sort-of-political but Jean Enersen is retiring as news anchor of King5 after doing it for 42 years. She was the first female anchor in Seattle (and possibly first in the country for a permanent female news anchor). I've always liked her but I'm seeing some backlash with commentors saying "don't let the door hit you on the way out" type comments. Was she controversial in some way?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Sort-of-political but Jean Enersen is retiring as news anchor of King5 after doing it for 42 years. She was the first female anchor in Seattle (and possibly first in the country for a permanent female news anchor). I've always liked her but I'm seeing some backlash with commentors saying "don't let the door hit you on the way out" type comments. Was she controversial in some way?

Woman, not insanely and overtly conservative like Susan Hutchison.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Ladies and gentlemen, our new deputy mayor, the former president of the Downtown Seattle Association.

Spoils system at its finest.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of sudden retirements, Steve Scher announced over Facebook at ~ 11:30pm Friday that he's left his position at KUOW. I don't really blame him, that "IT'S A NEWS MAGAZINE" programming is total bullshit.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

She was decent at her "job" and far less plutocratic than some people liked to paint her as. A decent choice for what has always been a patronage position.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

double-post for relevant news:

O'Toole: Get More Cops to Live in Seattle, Improve Police Technology, and Create Accountability for Reform Resisters

quote:

Kathleen O'Toole, the presumptive next police chief of Seattle, didn't hit anything out of the park last night at a South Seattle public hearing—for example, she didn't declare that SPD's police unions are political enemies to be forced, rather than bargained with, into making much-needed reforms.
But for a progressive city like Seattle, she sounded awfully progressive for a police chief. Her nomination to become chief is expected to be voted out of the city council's public safety committee today at 3:30 p.m.

On neighborhoods: "We'll work hard to implement the [Justice Department] consent decree, but we'll also do it by being at meetings like this...I vow to you that I personally will spend lots of time in the neighborhoods, but I would expect the commanders and my supervisors to do so as well...I tend to spend most of my time in the neighborhoods who need the police the most... And in Boston, that was in the African American neighborhoods." She pledged to develop community policing plans on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis, rather than a precinct basis, in roughly her first two months on the job.

On gang affiliated youth: "I'm not a sociologist, but from my personal experience, a lot of young people are disaffected. They don't have the support from home...or school that they need. I haven't met many bad youngsters. I really think we need to provide them with the support as early as possible so they don't turn to gangs. I think prevention and intervention are more important than enforcement."

On SPD's technology deficit: "We need a resource allocation study...I find it ironic that SPD is behind on technology when we're in one of the technology capitals of the world." She has pledged to the council to carry out such a study within her first year.

Council member Kshama Sawant, seated next to her colleagues Sally Clark, Bruce Harrell, Tom Rasmussen and Tim Burgess, asked a litany of tough questions of O'Toole, but did so completely respectfully. Her questions prompted these responses:

On where police officers should live: "I'm definitely living in the city. I'm a city kid at heart." She mentioned that living within Boston was a requirement for her officers there. But, she said, "I know there are some complicated issues...that will have to be negotiated. I know that sometimes it's difficult to...to live and raise a family in the city." However, living in Seattle proper, she affirmed, "really does show a commitment to the city." Some 80% of current SPD officers live outside Seattle.

On reform and changing SPD's culture: "Those people who don't want to get on board or do resist, well, we have to hold them accountable. I'm willing to give everybody a chance when we start." As for the unions, she only said she'd interacted with both of the union presidents a few times, so far. "We'll try to maintain strong lines of communication."

On policing protests and acts of civil disobedience: O'Toole said she read in the papers that Seattle police did a better job at this year's May Day than in prior years. In response to Sawant's question on SPD's history of pepper spraying journalists, O'Toole described how she handled protests at the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston: "We're going to hide all the people in riot gear in strategic locations where no one will see them, so we don't have to use them unless it's a last resort...we invited the ACLU to work with us on our planning committee." She said there were only six arrests, rather than the thousands that were predicted. According to CNN, Boston spent some $60 million on security for the event.

Want to know more? Here's the nomination packet (PDF) Mayor Murray submitted to the council. O'Toole's resume touts that she launched the Boston Regional Intelligence Center, "one of the nation's first major city fusion centers,"—which, after she left Boston, spied on harmless anti-war activists—and that she is completing her PhD thesis at Dublin's Trinity College.

For more reading, check out the links contained in the article about pro-repression union officers being appointed to top positions by Murray and the 'good' cops in charge of the Doritos at Hempfest being pushed out the door by said appointments.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

Some 80% of current SPD officers live outside Seattle.
I have no current thoughts as to how to do this in a way that doesnt have drawbacks, but my thought is that this should be illegal.

You should have to live in the place you are empowered to ruin lives and kill people in. It would change the internal monologue of the actors immediately. (Not the same as, but related to, always-on wearable duty cameras.)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've mentioned this in other places but I used to study at the starbucks next to the downtown police station and the cops that came in were literally always talking poo poo about Seattle. They have zero pride for the place they serve. It really made me depressed to overhear their conversations, so much so that I started actually going to a different coffee shop.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Anyone who is paid enough to live in Seattle but chooses instead to commute in is, in my opinion, too dumb to be trusted with any important decisions up to and including matters of life and death.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

I have no current thoughts as to how to do this in a way that doesnt have drawbacks, but my thought is that this should be illegal.

You should have to live in the place you are empowered to ruin lives and kill people in. It would change the internal monologue of the actors immediately. (Not the same as, but related to, always-on wearable duty cameras.)

That would seem hard in places like San Francisco, at least minus rent control.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's coded into a pig's mentality to want to live in the suburbs. They'd rather barbecue in Covington and commute for two hours every day.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

SedanChair posted:

They'd rather barbecue in Covington and commute for two hours every day.

Well of course, taxpayers pay for their commute if they get to take the cruiser home.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Maybe cops don't want their families attacked by associates of the criminals they arrest. Just a thought.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

Maybe cops don't want their families attacked by associates of the criminals they arrest. Just a thought.

Real concerned about all this crime and stuff. Going to move to Kent.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Animal-Mother posted:

If you care enough to hurt a LEO's family, you care enough to drive an extra hour-plus outside of the city limits.

This IS a thing in jury duty- people who live in the neighborhood of someone involved in the case ask out for that reason- but people in jury duty are not members of the police force, by and large.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Real life is a Steven Seagal movie, that happens.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SedanChair posted:

Real life is a Steven Seagal movie, that happens.

Even if it never happens, a cop is still going to want their family nowhere near the criminals they're interacting with on a regular basis.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Who cares what they want if it's driven by fears with no basis in reality? They need to be a part of the community.

They can always live in Ballard or Cap Hill.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Animal-Mother posted:

Even if it never happens, a cop is still going to want their family nowhere near the criminals they're interacting with on a regular basis.
Im afraid of police, they might kill people I care about on a whim. Please remove them from my area. Thank you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SedanChair posted:

Who cares what they want
They do. They have concerns about the well being of their families. Cops are human beings, believe it or not.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

They do. They have concerns about the well being of their families. Cops are human beings, believe it or not.

I live in a suburb of Seattle. Not a huge town, but it has a decent population. My street has 4 police officers living on it, 1 of which is retired, all worked/working at the local station(which is only 3 blocks away).
As long as I have lived here, no one has attacked these officers. Why would Seattle be any different? What's so scary about the citizens of Seattle where officers have to fear for their families? (Maybe they fear retribution for constantly killing defenseless people, which maybe they could stop? But to each their own I suppose)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Is Seattle that much more dangerous than Boston where this is apparently already a requirement (hence the person who used to work there wanting to import the idea here.)

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Is Seattle that much more dangerous than Boston where this is apparently already a requirement (hence the person who used to work there wanting to import the idea here.)
Seattle has a lot more property crime than Boston whereas Boston has more violent crime. Not sure how you want to interpret that when trying to figure out which city is more dangerous.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Seattle's property crime is also much more distributed than Boston's violent crime. In Boston, you pretty much just have to avoid certain neighborhoods. And as counter to that, to my knowledge, Seattle doesn't have bad neighborhoods in the same way Boston does.

Seems like kind of a wash unless you're living in the cheapest parts of either.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yet another warning by the Wash. State Supreme Court that our congress is in contempt for not raising enough funds for education. Are they ever going to be jailed for it? They'd figure out a solution pretty quick if so. Maybe they could *gasp* create an income tax! (Yeah right :()

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Yeah and white supremacists have concerns about being their jobs being taken, but their concerns HAVE NO BASIS IN REALITY. So who cares. Get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Fabulous XXIV
Aug 15, 2012
God loving forbid that the police do thing one to repair their broken relationship with the public they oppress serve. No, they're totes just brave public servants doing a dangerous, thankless job. :qq:

• Locked thread