Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Le Cellier is a great restaurant, one of our favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The poutine from Le Cellier was probably my favorite single food of my trip a couple weeks ago

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Anyone have experience on renting Disney Vacation Club points? My family is thinking of going to Aulani next summer, and it seems like an easy way to save thousands of dollars, which makes me wonder if I am missing something.

I was considering maybe buying some points for a minute too, but when I ran the numbers it seems like you wouldn't break even vs. renting points until year 13 or so, and at that point my kids will be about out of the house. Hilton Head, Aulani, Grand Californian, and Vero Beach access all do sweeten the pot, but I just can't see shelling out $20-30k and it not being a financial win until after 13 years of Disney vacations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This is gonna sound so stupid, but D6 you got any idea what Le Cellier can do for a vegetarian? I can totally just sit there and eat poutine and broccoli or something like that.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is gonna sound so stupid, but D6 you got any idea what Le Cellier can do for a vegetarian? I can totally just sit there and eat poutine and broccoli or something like that.

Here's an up-to-date menu, though it may change by the time you get to WDW. Looks like you can handle the heirloom tomato salad, the baby beet salad, and the squash couscous. I'd avoid the stuff with parmesan because parmesan is made with rennet, and poutine is usually made with meat gravy so you should check before you order it anywhere.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

imabanana posted:

Anyone have experience on renting Disney Vacation Club points? My family is thinking of going to Aulani next summer, and it seems like an easy way to save thousands of dollars, which makes me wonder if I am missing something.

I was considering maybe buying some points for a minute too, but when I ran the numbers it seems like you wouldn't break even vs. renting points until year 13 or so, and at that point my kids will be about out of the house. Hilton Head, Aulani, Grand Californian, and Vero Beach access all do sweeten the pot, but I just can't see shelling out $20-30k and it not being a financial win until after 13 years of Disney vacations.

I work in the ts industry, PM me if you would like more info in general. I won't push any particular company since there are differences with each but I can give you the 50k foot overview.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Planning a trip for my mom's 60th coming up next spring. I've enjoyed this thread so much and appreciate all of the info! We'll definitely be getting the Memory Maker--that looks rad and I'm so SO glad that came up.

A couple questions:

-I know we've been over the dining plan discussion ad nauseum in this thread but uhhhh...I still can't decide if it would be a good deal for us. (11 people total if that matters--though not everyone would need one depending on who would benefit. And we'll be staying at the Shades of Green if that would open up any doors for us.)

-We're looking into something extra special to do on the trip to my mom. Anybody have suggestions? I know they do surfing lessons and she'd probably really like. And my mom is into spas/being pampered so that's another option. Maybe they have some nice treatments I'm unaware of? She's an avid runner/marathoner so maybe there's something that would incorporate her love of fitness. Best as I can tell, Disney World is my oyster and the options are so incredibly overwhelming.

-My 7/8 year old daughter will be coming along. What are special things I should be planning for with her? That Bippity Boppity Boutique thing got mixed reviews from the Ask/Tell Birthday Party Princess thread so I'm a bit weary of that unless someone has other input. Apart from that, I guess there's like a brunch you can have with the characters. I know she'd love stuff like that.

-Wondering about restaurants. I know we'd have to book sooner rather than later. Any recommendations that would best accommodate a large party (and that won't break the bank?)?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My understanding is that the dining plan is not an option if you are staying at Shades of Green

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

-My 7/8 year old daughter will be coming along. What are special things I should be planning for with her? That Bippity Boppity Boutique thing got mixed reviews from the Ask/Tell Birthday Party Princess thread so I'm a bit weary of that unless someone has other input. Apart from that, I guess there's like a brunch you can have with the characters. I know she'd love stuff like that.

There's the Perfectly Princess Tea Party at the Grand Floridian, but it's pricey ($250 for one child and one adult, plus $165 for each extra child and $85 for each extra adult). You get a high tea spread for two, including cake, so that's your lunch taken care of. Rose Petal (a former rose ~magically~ transformed into a human by the Sleeping Beauty fairies) tells stories and sings songs, Princess Aurora comes out for a meet-'n-greet (possibly accompanied by other princesses), then the girls parade around the hotel in their princess dresses (she is wearing a princess dress, right?) Your daughter gets a bunch of goodies, including what seems to be a high-quality doll. The whole experience is 90 minutes long, but at her age she can probably focus pretty well. I suggest you pick one grown-up to accompany your daughter - maybe Grandma would appreciate some quality time? - while the other adults do something else.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

No dining plan at Shades of Green.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Braksgirl posted:

Cool cool. In a way, that makes my life a lot easier (too many decisions). On the other hand, anyone have budget ideas when eating out on a Disney vacay? I really dig the concept of an all inclusive type affair which is why I was mostly interested in the Dining Plan. But in the end I guess it'd be cheaper paying a la carte for our needs anyways.

With the Memory Maker, does anyone know if one order would cover our entire party of 11 even if we're not together? We plan on splitting up on occasion so it would stink for some people to have to miss out on shots. Maybe each "mini family" in our crew would need to purchase their own, I don't know. It would be so much nicer if we could all just pitch in and use the one though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

No Disney Dining Plan at shades of green. There's a couple shades of green packages with on-resort dining included (sunrise package, red white and blue salute, the current discounts going on for august/september/october/november). But nothing that'll help you at the parks. Still, it's nice to get breakfast thrown in at Garden Gallery since you're right there on shades of green resort anyway.

Magnolia Spa is right there at shades of green and it's supposed to be one of the nice ones. I don't know poo poo about it though, unfortunately. I'm not a spa-y person. A little poking around for reviews oughta get you some though.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Cool cool. In a way, that makes my life a lot easier (too many decisions). On the other hand, anyone have budget ideas when eating out on a Disney vacay? I really dig the concept of an all inclusive type affair which is why I was mostly interested in the Dining Plan. But in the end I guess it'd be cheaper paying a la carte for our needs anyways.

With the Memory Maker, does anyone know if one order would cover our entire party of 11 even if we're not together? We plan on splitting up on occasion so it would stink for some people to have to miss out on shots. Maybe each "mini family" in our crew would need to purchase their own, I don't know. It would be so much nicer if we could all just pitch in and use the one though.

]as long as every linked as friends and family it'll work. One person will be designated the memory maker who will be in charge of downloading all of the photos. Linking up is kind of tricky - you have the guests with accounts, a checkbox to view photos, and managed guests that have to be friended through their owners. If you just use regular PhotoPass cards, then you can just claim them in the one account and you're good to go.

Basically you just need to get all of the photos into the memory maker account but then you'll be set.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I wasn't worried about Disney "disneyfying" the Star Wars brand when they first bought it, but now I'm far less sure.

:what:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Suave Fedora posted:

I wasn't worried about Disney "disneyfying" the Star Wars brand when they first bought it, but now I'm far less sure.

:what:

Passholders were notified of the Friday the 13th event this year at Hollywood Studios in an invitation to be the first to buy the special event tickets for only $67!

Last year it was not a special event requiring a ticket and seeing they could squeeze more money out of people the $67 came about now. Eat a bucket of penises Disney. No thank you.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

Passholders were notified of the Friday the 13th event this year at Hollywood Studios in an invitation to be the first to buy the special event tickets for only $67!

Last year it was not a special event requiring a ticket and seeing they could squeeze more money out of people the $67 came about now. Eat a bucket of penises Disney. No thank you.

Actually the main reason they are doing it as a hard ticket event this year is so the park doesn't fill to capacity, which happened last year and holy hell they were not expecting it.

And more money isn't something Disney is going to turn it's nose at.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Well that explains why DHS was blocked out today.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

Well that explains why DHS was blocked out today.

Mark Hamil bringin' in the crowds

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Actually the main reason they are doing it as a hard ticket event this year is so the park doesn't fill to capacity, which happened last year and holy hell they were not expecting it.

Oh I get it.. it's money and yes the park was absolute pandemonium last year. I am not surprised they did it to be honest, we even said it last year. They saved me $67 x 2 plus everything I would have spent that evening on food and drinks plus the required shirt(s) the wife would have bought just because. I should be thanking them.

How's CP life going for you?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

My office is over in studios and I went out and checked the villains event out last year.

Absolutely a clusterfuck. I'm not sad they're closing it off this year because they had way too many people.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Oh I get it.. it's money and yes the park was absolute pandemonium last year. I am not surprised they did it to be honest, we even said it last year. They saved me $67 x 2 plus everything I would have spent that evening on food and drinks plus the required shirt(s) the wife would have bought just because. I should be thanking them.

How's CP life going for you?

Its going well. Today was my first day 100% without training of any kind and I only effed up royal once (in the first twenty minutes). hooray. (it was in the end not a huge deal, but it was a safety thing so a big deal was made anyway, which makes sense. Lesson learned)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Its going well. Today was my first day 100% without training of any kind and I only effed up royal once (in the first twenty minutes). hooray. (it was in the end not a huge deal, but it was a safety thing so a big deal was made anyway, which makes sense. Lesson learned)

It's cool that happens to everyone just make sure it's clear you took it seriously and corrected the behavior. I'm probably repeating something you've heard already, but you're going to be processing thousands of people a day and slight inattention or error that only fucks up .05% of riders is still gonna get someone hurt sooner rather than later.

I only lecture because I found the safety stuff they make you go through pretty annoying/seemingly pointless until I'd been at the job longer and run the numbers in my head. Make sure as hell your understanding of the safety protocols is drat near airtight then follow them, and you'll be golden.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
1) Put hand on button, never remove it.
2) Stop stuff if you hear bad noises or smell bad smells
3) 7, 14

Congrats, now you are set forever

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

It's cool that happens to everyone just make sure it's clear you took it seriously and corrected the behavior. I'm probably repeating something you've heard already, but you're going to be processing thousands of people a day and slight inattention or error that only fucks up .05% of riders is still gonna get someone hurt sooner rather than later.

I only lecture because I found the safety stuff they make you go through pretty annoying/seemingly pointless until I'd been at the job longer and run the numbers in my head. Make sure as hell your understanding of the safety protocols is drat near airtight then follow them, and you'll be golden.

Oh I took full responsibility and my coordinator even praised me because when I realized something was wrong I immediatly stopped the ride so we could correct what needed correcting. (I misread a hand signal as all clear at Tea Cups, when in reality a dude was jumping from one cup to another and I couldn't see him)

Second day went way better. I like this gig, me thinks.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Just came back from a trip to Paris, and although good times were had all round... but note to self: don't ever let friends pick parade and Disney Dreams viewing positions again. This time they managed to pick a heavily off-centre spot where you couldn't see the left-hand water screen, the overhead lasers missed us entirely, the sound was quiet and muddy, and the Earmitters were too far away for my hat to register. :france:

When you guys bring friends and family along, do you always insist on picking the best viewing spot / optimising FastPass collection / etc? Or are you a lot more chill and just let things happen? I get the impression I'm turning into the Tour Guide from hell, albeit one fixated on giving everyone the best experience possible!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I try really hard not to turn into Disney Hitler. If they're all screaming for Main St for a showing of the fireworks I'll probably just warn them it's going to be crowded and we need to get there super early. If we're taking votes, I'll tell them a few different options for parades and fireworks and things like that. As far as park layout, I tend to overplan that and have different maps for the same day. That way when we get off course because the shootin' gallery is totally open or whatever, I can figure out where's best to go next depending on the time of day/probable crowd levels.

I make suggestions but I don't try to make them the only option, basically.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PkerUNO posted:

Just came back from a trip to Paris, and although good times were had all round... but note to self: don't ever let friends pick parade and Disney Dreams viewing positions again. This time they managed to pick a heavily off-centre spot where you couldn't see the left-hand water screen, the overhead lasers missed us entirely, the sound was quiet and muddy, and the Earmitters were too far away for my hat to register. :france:

When you guys bring friends and family along, do you always insist on picking the best viewing spot / optimising FastPass collection / etc? Or are you a lot more chill and just let things happen? I get the impression I'm turning into the Tour Guide from hell, albeit one fixated on giving everyone the best experience possible!

Not a Disney specific answer but in the sense of concert going - gently caress my friends and family. They are god awful about picking spots. Inevitably it will be super off center, not close enough to make up for it, right in front of the speakers which will cause that god awful static thing in your ears. I went to a major music fest this year and ended up leaving everyone and going off to the center of the crowd so I could at least hear everything right. The rest of the fest I literally led them around so we could find spots on the lawn for 4 people that were in correct sound range.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I watched Wishes from Kingdom Crossing (proper nomenclature for the newer Tangled themed Bathrooms) last night and I could have had a seat if I so chose because no one was over there, and it gives a great view of the fireworks. You just don't have the castle as the centerpiece.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I watched Wishes from Kingdom Crossing (proper nomenclature for the newer Tangled themed Bathrooms) last night and I could have had a seat if I so chose because no one was over there, and it gives a great view of the fireworks. You just don't have the castle as the centerpiece.

My wife and I enjoy the fireworks from that area more than in the crowd front and center of the castle. Way less traffic and congestion plus as soon as it is over we can hit the rides there as they are less crowded.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Speaking of the Tangled bathrooms, what's up with putting wanted posters everywhere but putting Flynn's in the men's bathroom? When I was there in March, a cast member saw us looking for his poster and offered to call a male cast member to go in and take pictures of it with our phones. I got the strong impression this was a regular occurrence.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I make suggestions but I don't try to make them the only option, basically.

So offer different options, all of which are decent, in an effort to both get your own way AND make it seem like they have free will?

I actually really like that!

Will have to experiment with these mind games next time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PkerUNO posted:

So offer different options, all of which are decent, in an effort to both get your own way AND make it seem like they have free will?

I actually really like that!

Will have to experiment with these mind games next time.

:psyduck: No, you offer honest suggestions and if they're outvoted then they are. It's no big deal. It's Disney, not life or death.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Hey now, Disney is serious business.

I'm joking about the mind games but unfortunately I get very, very annoyed when I, or my friends, or even the people around me don't get the best experience because of something easily preventable. I'm that guy who dies a little inside every time someone takes a photo with flash inside a ride, or has an aneurysm when some idiot starts waving a laser pointer around the castle during the projections, or whose monocle pops clean out whenever a family decides that in order to get an obstructed view they should totally invade the cordoned-off flowerbed. And then pop their kids on their shoulders for good measure.

I've learned to internalise a lot over the years... :smith:

Note I'm talking specifically about shows and parades here - I don't really think it makes sense to have a rigid schedule for rides if you're literally driving your party to exhaustion.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PkerUNO posted:

Hey now, Disney is serious business.

I'm joking about the mind games but unfortunately I get very, very annoyed when I, or my friends, or even the people around me don't get the best experience because of something easily preventable. I'm that guy who dies a little inside every time someone takes a photo with flash inside a ride, or has an aneurysm when some idiot starts waving a laser pointer around the castle during the projections, or whose monocle pops clean out whenever a family decides that in order to get an obstructed view they should totally invade the cordoned-off flowerbed. And then pop their kids on their shoulders for good measure.

I've learned to internalise a lot over the years... :smith:

Note I'm talking specifically about shows and parades here - I don't really think it makes sense to have a rigid schedule for rides if you're literally driving your party to exhaustion.

Yeah, I always have to try to balance this. On the one hand its a vacation, you're supposed to relax and have fun. On the other hand you spent thousands of dollars to be here you may as well not miss 2/3s of it just because you decided to dawdle and gently caress around all day.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PkerUNO posted:

I'm that guy who dies a little inside every time someone takes a photo with flash inside a ride..

I'm the guy who is not being coy about telling the idiots using flash "Hey are you idiots deaf they said no flash photography?"

There is other aneurysm level things I get bent over but the flash thing really really flips my trigger so don't think you are alone.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

I'm the guy who is not being coy about telling the idiots using flash "Hey are you idiots deaf they said no flash photography?"

There is other aneurysm level things I get bent over but the flash thing really really flips my trigger so don't think you are alone.

If you're in the park in September I wanna meet up with you in Pirates just so I can take endless flash photograph and you can scowl deeply and seriously.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're in the park in September I wanna meet up with you in Pirates just so I can take endless flash photograph and you can scowl deeply and seriously.

Or I can follow you into a crowded area and stick a shank in you like I would do when I was in prison.

Just kidding I never used a shank.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 12, 2014

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We weren't allowed to use the PA to spiel about flash pictures over the ride, so when we were doing a ride through and you got to tell people off it was always satisfying.

Or waiting to pull a boat.

It always sucked when some moron set off a flash in your face trying to run one of the load consoles.

It never happened when I worked the pirate ride but a couple people had stories about having to call Reedy Creek when some poor epileptic folks had an episode caused by someone taking pictures.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Cais posted:

It never happened when I worked the pirate ride but a couple people had stories about having to call Reedy Creek when some poor epileptic folks had an episode caused by someone taking pictures.

Yeah, I usually just ask people to stop "because it hurts my eyes". It's just irritating not only because it ruins the experience for everyone else, but their own photos are going to come out like complete crap! Still in favour of obligatory photography courses for every Disneyland guest.

Going back to planning your day, in the past I've mainly gone with friends for single days at a time, so the focus of the day was always "get as many rides done as is physically possible because we're only here for one day". And it's totally possible to do all the main rides in both parks in one day if you go in Winter, but man are you completely destroyed the next day. This time I was again at the park for only one day, but my friend and I decided to take it very easy - just soak in the Swing Into Spring festival and generally not rush around.

This method is SO much better. We only managed to go on 4 rides (Phantom Manor, Buzz Lightyear, Big Thunder Mountain x2) but I don't remember ever enjoying those rides as much as I did this time. Normally when you're rushing from ride to ride you just have one eye on your FastPass tickets and one eye on your watch, but taking the time to just stroll through the theming, explore the hidden caves in Adventureland, etc was a real eye-opener.

I understand this may not be much of a revelation to most people in this thread, but I get the impression that the Florida parks are so out of the way the vast majority of visitors there stay for two days or more. With the "city" parks like Paris and Tokyo, it's much easier to pop in for just one (incredibly hectic and busy) day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I am literally the worst (best) tour guide. I will literally shatter everyone's ideas of how to do the parks if they're detrimentally stupid ones. My wife very nearly got into the line to see Elsa and Anna last week and waited the four hours to get their autograph. Shot that poo poo down realy quick.