Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AlternateAccount posted:

Well if your state is anything like my state, you just put in a call to your labor relations board, tell them someone is withholding pay and they will send someone over to jump up and down on their balls until it gets sorted. It was really, really easy for me.

Alberta is incredibly biased in favour of employers - sorry, I mean job creators - and so this likely wouldn't work quite as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

Well if your state is anything like my state, you just put in a call to your labor relations board, tell them someone is withholding pay and they will send someone over to jump up and down on their balls until it gets sorted. It was really, really easy for me.

Even if you have to go to an attorney, it seems like a slam dunk case and something you could easily get "and all incurred legal fees" added to the payout for.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Even if you have to go to an attorney, it seems like a slam dunk case and something you could easily get "and all incurred legal fees" added to the payout for.

True but time invested can't be refunded.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

m.hache posted:

True but time invested can't be refunded.

That's what punitive damages are for.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Congrats.

What's the big problem you have with Hyper-V? They recently made some major changes in the R2 version and it's looking to be pretty solid.

I'm also interested in the potential problems with Hyper-V since I just convinced this place to switch to it (they were/are still using VirtualBox). The 2012r2 version is leaps and bounds better than what was bundled with 2008r2 and Virtual Machine Manager adds some really nice functionality.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Helushune posted:

I'm also interested in the potential problems with Hyper-V since I just convinced this place to switch to it (they were/are still using VirtualBox). The 2012r2 version is leaps and bounds better than what was bundled with 2008r2 and Virtual Machine Manager adds some really nice functionality.

That's exactly the problem. 2008r2 Hyper-V.

..at least we're planing on upgrading the farm this autumn.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

That's exactly the problem. 2008r2 Hyper-V.

..at least we're planing on upgrading the farm this autumn.

Yeah that was their first foray into it. They've made massive improvements.

Check some of their videos on virtual academy. They showcase all the new stuff in 2012 R2.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Oh man, the long awaited Blackswordca last day is here. This is a day that will live in infamy indeed.

I'm going to have to take you out for a beer one of these days to celebrate. My boss is gone Friday and all next week, if it's nice we're planning on having an "offsite team building day" on a patio in the South Common all day. There's Wifi, we have VPN, and craft beers on tap.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Sorry to break into the celebration but I need to rant.

gently caress Citrix.
gently caress printers.

Got three users whose Citrix client keeps crashing and event viewer give me av faulting module ntdll.DLL.

I know it's the printers because if I disable the print spooler, the client works fine.

Any ideas? We got a mix of mostly HP, and one Ricoh copier.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

RadicalR posted:

Sorry to break into the celebration but I need to rant.

gently caress Citrix.
gently caress printers.

Got three users whose Citrix client keeps crashing and event viewer give me av faulting module ntdll.DLL.

I know it's the printers because if I disable the print spooler, the client works fine.

Any ideas? We got a mix of mostly HP, and one Ricoh copier.

No I hear you citrix and printing blows, I miss VMware View so much

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
What is the standard policy on dealing with people setting up a 2012 VM serving 15 remote desktops with very light application load and only giving it two cores? Remote connections randomly freeze for 10-30 seconds. For days I've been wondering what's causing this, today I found out: McAffee scans taking up both cores.

It feels like 1995 again :ughh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I am so glad I don't have to do support at a company a family member works at: Citrix, job is mostly about printing, and custom software that is so badly coded that part of the 'sending to client' protocol is to export to a rich-text-format file and then manually fix all the formatting this breaks. And then repeating this formatting fixing every time the client wants a change.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are McAfee and Norton still in business at this point solely because they have bundling deals with the big PC manufacturers?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Entropic posted:

Are McAfee and Norton still in business at this point solely because they have bundling deals with the big PC manufacturers?

It's sure as poo poo not due to the quality of their products.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you even want/need AV installed inside a VDI client?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
About once a month we get someone in with a newish laptop that's ground to a halt under the weight of adware / malware that Norton or McAfee utterly failed to protect them from, and they get mad when we suggest they ditch it it and pony up the $25 for Kaspersky or something. "But I already paid for two years of Norton, leave it on, I want to get my money's worth!" OK, see you again soon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Entropic posted:

"But I already paid for two years of Norton, leave it on, I want to get my money's worth!"

They're getting exactly what they paid for!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Entropic posted:

They sell to large companies too, their product is absolutely trash but for some reason they keep using it here. I poo poo you not, 93% of the operational issues (this is from a query I just did) I have for windows servers on my tickets are because of the McAfee process eating the machine's resources at some point because it feels like it, and the policy for it is way above my paygrade so I can't tell them to take McAfee off my servers.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

President Ark posted:

Who put the server room right next to the monkey cage?

(:psyboom: :barf:)

e: In other news, I have a computer in that's exhibiting all the symptoms of being chock-full of viruses, and yet every scan I run on it comes back clean or very nearly clean (only minor poo poo like toolbars or cookies). It's like a 5-pack-a-day smoker going to a doctor coughing up blood and for the doctor to look at his lungs which are perfectly pink and healthy. Except secretly, those aren't his lungs, they're actually giant tumors that replaced his lungs.

The more I'm checking this thing out the more I'm convinced there has to be something ridiculously bad on here, I just can't find it. :psyduck:

Are they running Norton or Mcafee AV?
I have had a few machines show symptoms of a bad virus infestation come right when you disable or remove them and replace with MS Security Essentials.
Just yesterday I had one with Mcafee security suite unable to load any webpages, could ping ok but nothing loaded on the web browser and laptop in general was sluggish. I disabled the firewall module in Mcafee and it worked like a charm. There was an option in the Mcafee firewall called netguard I think which was blocking all legitimate http traffic.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Caged posted:

Do you even want/need AV installed inside a VDI client?

Yes, just because VDI can refresh at logoff doesn't mean things that execute in ram are not a problem. This is a common misconception that costs companies millions.

example: crypto locker

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I worded that badly - do you still install 'traditional' AV or is there a better way to approach that when you're doing VDI?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

There are antiviruses that run on the host instead of having one on each VM but I haven't looked into it to see if one way is definitely better than another. Probably depends on the specific setup and workload.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Caged posted:

I worded that badly - do you still install 'traditional' AV or is there a better way to approach that when you're doing VDI?

VMWare vShield and a compatible antivirus suite (Trend Micro has one) is how you do it. The ESX host does all the work across the entire datastore, so you don't install (and execute) an agent per-VM. Saves big on IOPS on your storage, that's for sure.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 12, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's 7pm in Alberta. Blackswordca is likely having a celebration binge drink (rather than a coping binge drink). Or he's been locked in the basement of his employers house....

Dear god, tell us you're happy Blackswordca... Use the codeword if under duress.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Heners_UK posted:

It's 7pm in Alberta. Blackswordca is likely having a celebration binge drink (rather than a coping binge drink). Or he's been locked in the basement of his employers house....

Dear god, tell us you're happy Blackswordca... Use the codeword if under duress.
Just got home, 6 pack of imported scottish beer in hand.

One of the guys at the office took me out for dinner, so all is well.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

blackswordca posted:

Just got home, 6 pack of imported scottish beer in hand.

One of the guys at the office took me out for dinner, so all is well.

Computer equipment all taken care of?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

RadicalR posted:

Computer equipment all taken care of?

gave my equipment to one of the owners, asked for email confirmation, got it and forwarded it to my home email

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

gave my equipment to one of the owners, asked for email confirmation, got it and forwarded it to my home email

"OH LOOK HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE EMAIL HEADERS, THAT'S ENTRAPMENT"

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

All that matters now is entrapping a couple of those beers in your gut, and sleeping well knowing you don't have bullshit to deal with in the morning.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A phone call came in.

"Under no circumstances are you to allow coworkersname into the building tomorrow. I'm not at liberty to say why."

:stare: Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Great Beer posted:

A phone call came in.

"Under no circumstances are you to allow coworkersname into the building tomorrow. I'm not at liberty to say why."

Obviously you are planning a surprise party for him.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Great Beer posted:

A phone call came in.

Please do not blueball us regarding the results. :ohdear:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Great Beer posted:

A phone call came in.

You're in IT, not security so if things get hairy call the cops.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ugh we had a creepy dude that we fired for being an incompetent weirdo. Showed up the next day like nothing had happened, the whole situation was just awkward to the point of "I hope he won't go on a shooting spree"

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
A conversation in the hallway came in: Told them to email IT

A ticket came in a few minutes later: A user was terminated.

Last Friday.

It's not every day I get to lecture my boss and HR. That was fun.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

luminalflux posted:

Ugh we had a creepy dude that we fired for being an incompetent weirdo. Showed up the next day like nothing had happened, the whole situation was just awkward to the point of "I hope he won't go on a shooting spree"

A coworker was fired and he came back a few hours later with a duffle bag. That was a fun half hour while the cops sorted things out.

He was just dropping it off for his brother who was still employed there. Glad I wasn't one of the folks outside smoking when "angry fired dude" started walking towards them with a duffle bag.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MisterOblivious posted:

A coworker was fired and he came back a few hours later with a duffle bag. That was a fun half hour while the cops sorted things out.

He was just dropping it off for his brother who was still employed there. Glad I wasn't one of the folks outside smoking when "angry fired dude" started walking towards them with a duffle bag.

I guess that is a difference between the US and the UK:

In the US, you have a genuine fear of the improbable, but possible chance, that the disgruntled ex-employee might turn up with an AK47 and go on a shooting-spree.

Whereas in the UK, we have a fear of the ex-employee turning up and conversation being very awkward.

I am not sure which is worse.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

I guess that is a difference between the US and the UK:

In the US, you have a genuine fear of the improbable, but possible chance, that the disgruntled ex-employee might turn up with an AK47 and go on a shooting-spree.

Whereas in the UK, we have a fear of the ex-employee turning up and conversation being very awkward.

I am not sure which is worse.

If you get shot, there's no expectation of decorum. Awkward conversations on the other hand...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

spankmeister posted:

You're in IT, not security so if things get hairy call the cops.

Yeah, I have no intention of getting involved. The guys a friend of mine and he's worked there longer than I have, so I asked him whats up. They apparantly told him the same vague nonsense they told me: That there had been an "incident" they wouldnt go into detail about.

Unfortunately he's the only other on-site IT we have so my workload just doubled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The best was when an IT director at one of our subsidiaries was let go and no one told us at corp IT for a week. We're lucky he didn't VPN in and cause major trouble.

• Locked thread