Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Nita posted:

That kind of sucks that you can't get a credit towards a new ship. If we're going to upgrade past the Typhoon we may as well save up 2m plat to get the Volant Alcazar pirate ship since it's the same exact design as the Daedalean Kraken, just 4 less hold rooms and 2 less state rooms. I'm surprised that turbine didn't design the AD pirate ships to look different. The pirate AD ships look like a half-assed version of the plat pirate ships, which is disappointing when they did such an amazing job on the earlier plat and AD airships.

Yeah I mean the Typhoon is something we're reasonably close on getting with shards (though further than I was expecting), and it's going to be a long time before we get 20 guild levels to access the Volant Signet which is a 2 small room upgrade over the Typhoon. We're really not missing much with 13-15 small rooms and 3 large rooms, mostly luxury stuff like being able to have crafting/vendor rooms up at the same time as all buffs. Note that there's not even 7 large rooms available yet making the Kraken pretty pointless.

And 2 million plat is fairly trivial if we've got 4 or 5 of us pitching in. I need to start actually selling some stuff on the AH again though I guess, I'm under 2 million plat total after buying amenities earlier.

Tempest: 8 hold, 2 state (current ship)
Windspire Gryphon: 10 hold, 2 state (1.8 mil plat buyable now)
Typhoon: 13 hold, 3 state (2650 shards, missing 878 shards)
Volant Signet: 15 hold, 3 state (1.85 mil plat buyable at GL100)

The Typhoon would give us basically everything we need in terms of room space. We're missing a pretty large chunk of the shards needed for it though. Getting to GL100 is going to take quite awhile, but if people would prefer we spend the shards on upgrading/buying amenities we could do that. My concern with that is that eventually they're supposed to drop ingame and we could just find them or buy them with plat. Eventually.

A Gryphon would let us get a Cargo Bay and a Game Hunter(/Forbidden Library/Farshifter if we wanted to blow shards). Typhoon would mean we'd get all the good small rooms and a Bath House.

[Edit] Also not sure anyone really cares, but you can't deconstruct items for the time being. Disjuncting/Crafting works, just no getting more essences.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Starting up an all bard party with some of my buddies and I've started researching stuff and my brain is just shutting down from all the possibilities. Somewhat limited in that it'll be a fresh character(32 pt build but access to Vet1 and 2 and the Iconic classes) with no past lives and nothing much by way of really good gear socked away since I never thought I'd run a bard. Considering Bladeforged since I'll likely dip pally levels anyway. I do kind of like the idea of having a runearm, though. I'd try orb, but I've always been poo poo at managing SP beyond buffs and heals.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Starting up an all bard party with some of my buddies and I've started researching stuff and my brain is just shutting down from all the possibilities. Somewhat limited in that it'll be a fresh character(32 pt build but access to Vet1 and 2 and the Iconic classes) with no past lives and nothing much by way of really good gear socked away since I never thought I'd run a bard. Considering Bladeforged since I'll likely dip pally levels anyway. I do kind of like the idea of having a runearm, though. I'd try orb, but I've always been poo poo at managing SP beyond buffs and heals.

Bards can't be Lawful, so no Pali or Monk levels allowed. Arti is fine.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you can all do iconic Purple Dragon Knight will work and Shadar Kai should work. Fighter/rogue/bard and rogue/artificer/bard respectively.

Key points: Empower Healing, Single Weapon Fighting, Cleaves, Overwhelming Critical, Quicken off the top of my head. Strength focus.

Make sure you meet the balance requirements on the level BEFORE you take the next SWF feat due to a bug, shouldn't be a big deal. Also you want to max perform. Concentration is handy too since you don't want to always perma quicken most likely. Depending on your stat layout and any tomes you wanna get you'll want Search, Disable and then Open Lock. Spot is a luxury. The newer content all has secret doors and such that need real search skill and open lock.

I'll post my planned PDK bard later tonight and gonna whip up a Shadar Kai one too for Valisti (and maybe me) here soon hopefully.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.

Woden posted:

Oh I just noticed that Bladeforged all seem to be male, only took me 3 lives to see it on my character screen.

I'm not sure what the character panel says but my lady Bladeforged for sure makes lady-like sounds in-game.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

PDK 2 Fighter/2 Rogue/16 Bard Swashbuckler:

Strength: 18
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 12

You could pretty easily drop the Charisma to 8 for 32pt or drop a little Strength or whatever.

Level order: Fighter, Rogue, Bard, Rogue, Bard, second fighter at level 20

1: Cleave
1f: Power Attack
1h: Single Weapon Fighting
3: Empower Healing Spell
6: Great Cleave
9: Improved Single Weapon Fighting
12: Extend Spell
15: Quicken Spell
18: Greater Single Weapon Fighting
20f: Improved Critical: Piercing
21: Overwhelming Critical
24: Inspire Excellence
26d: Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting
27: Epic Reflexes (or whatever)
28d: Elusive Target or Perfect Single Weapon Fighting

Destiny feats will have to be Toughness on a first character, but you can feat swap into those later.

Skills:
1: Balance 2, Bluff 2, Intimidate 4, Jump 4, UMD 2
2: Disable device 2, search 5, UMD 3
3: Balance 1, Perform 6, Tumble 1, UMD 1
4: Disable Device 4, Open Lock 4, Search 2, UMD 1
5 and 7 add +2 to your balance, otherwise keep Perform, Search, UMD, Disable maxed, and then Open Lock maxed, and ideally Concentration as well.

With Shadar-Kai artificer you lose 3 feats, and that's tough. Extend is easy enough to give up, and even Inspire Excellence really, but that still leaves you with 1 feat to make up and probably an awkward leveling order. I'll have to play with it some to see if I can get it to work nicely. I guess you can give up Epic Reflexes too, but pushing two basic feats into epic level leaves you with a lovely leveling experience, which isn't ideal. Especially for our ITRing purposes.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Goddamn I am really going to have to come back to this game at some point. Kinda got stuck at level 26 on my Eldritch Knight build which was very self sufficient and cool but lacked the flair of the monk. Seems like even more possibilities have opened up too. I really like the sound of them trying to fix heavy armour builds - I always found it vaguely disappointing that they were so inferior to all other options.

Girlfriend has me playing Eve though and that game just chews up time relentlessly.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
The new buffs look absolutely amazing in the lower deck of the ship. If we buy the Typhoon, will we have to re-buy all the buffs or do they carry over to the new ship?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Next week with the bugfix patch:

quote:

Typhoon – Old Shard Price: 2650 New Shard Price: 2000
Glaive – Old Shard Price: 3300 New Shard Price: 2650
Trefoil – Old Shard Price: 4000 New Shard Price: 3300
Kraken – Old Shard Price: 5650 New Shard Price: 4000

So I guess we're back on track for getting a Typhoon reasonably (200~ shards needed). And amenities are permanent, period. I also swapped out the Ninja Assassin (0.25[w]) for +1 loot last night. Not sure if it'll stay that way, though with a Typhoon we'll have 5 more small rooms, which is plenty for all the interesting stuff really.

Glaive is +3 smalls and +1 large over a Typhoon, but I don't think we can come up with enough shards for that. That wouldn't be replaceable until GL130 with a plat ship.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I will be sure to log in sometime shortly after the bugfix patch to drop in however many shards we are short from the 2k ship, I don't have nearly enough to get us up to the 2650 one though.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
We could also go crazy and save up for the Kraken. It's only ~$120 with triple bonus points overall. I'd front the rest of the 2k shards if they have another triple point sale soon.

**Edit

It looks like with a double DDO points sale I can still front the 2k shards.

Ok, so don't buy the typhoon. Next sale I'll get the 2k shards and we can rock the best ship in game.

Nita fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 14, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Wow, alright. Sounds good 😝 We could grab the next plat ship up for a couple more small rooms I believe. Who knows when they'll do another sale, so I'll see what extra amenities would be worth fitting in and try and get some more plat I feel comfortable burning.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Okay so current ship:
8 small, 2 large

Small amenities we're missing that would be helpful to have:
Ninja Assassin: +0.25[W], flanking to-hit, owned
Danger room: +1/2/3 rogue skills, 180 shards (drop in the future hopefully)
Farshifter's Chamber: Adds teleports to Captain and has a blue teleporter in his room, 90 shards
Forbidden Library: +1/2/3 caster and UMD skills, 195 shards
Game Hunter: +1/2/3 fort saves, +5% damage to helpless enemies, 210k plat
Hag Apothecary: +20 hp, +1 fort saves vs disease/poison, 225k
Shrine of Experience: 1-5% experience bonus, 95-1415 shards (still can't believe this poo poo)

So we're not likely to get Experience, Library, Danger or Farshifter anytime soon. So 3 smalls missing that are important-ish, though even the ones I didn't list are cool and the Kraken has 26 smalls. We could get 2 more smalls for 1.8 million plat given that we don't know when a sale is going to come around. Which if I can liquidate enough stuff I don't care about in the near future, I can front some of that. And then another 435k for the amenities themselves. At least it's a one time cost, but I think I was paying maybe 300k/month before, and I've already spent 1.5~ so it's going to take awhile to be more cost effective.

You're right though Two, the rooms do look loving fantastic. Here's hoping the update the top decks to look nicer, they're so sparse, dark, and lifeless right now. They're well worth a look downstairs if you guys haven't.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 14, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
They really need to consolidate buffs further, I have 50 buff icons right now while sitting on the boat doing nothing. That's insane. Raid buffed would be 70+.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
I dropped around 1.9 million plat into the guild coffers for the griffen or the next one up from that, depending on if we want to wait for GL 100 to upgrade.

Game_Whino fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 15, 2014

aziraphale60
Oct 13, 2006
Has anybody had a problem with Primal Travel or Adrenaline Overload just dropping off after being on your buff bar for just a second? Primal Travel worked fine for me for a little bit and then it started doing that (obviously making it useless).

Then Adrenaline Overload was working fine for 3 levels and then it started bugging out in the same way, falling off before I could even attack with it. The only thing I changed was equipping Sireth, but I don't know if that's it.

Anybody heard of this?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Never had that, ever since the update dropped I've been having horrible lag though. Lots of buttons just don't trigger so I hit fury and then manyshot only to notice that one didn't fire 10 secs later. Or 10k not firing, or Overload not triggering so I waste a slayer arrow, etc.

Very frustrating.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Never had that prior to the update, since the update I've been playing as Fatesinger/Grandmaster/Shiradi, so haven't really played with anything like those.

Also they're revamping the Spellsinger and Warchanter trees as implied during the Swashbuckler talk.

Looking good so far, really liking making the buffing less of a pain in the rear end. Getting that new version of Reckless Chant in would be great.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mass Hold SLA (Normally a level 9 Sorc/Wiz spell).

:holymoley:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Mass Hold SLA (Normally a level 9 Sorc/Wiz spell).

:holymoley:

Yep

Woden
May 6, 2006
Wonder how that mass hold will work, like is it cast as a level 9 spell outright or somewhere between 1-6 so that you'd need heighten? Varg said the SLAs will possibly scale with caster level but not sure what that'd mean.

IIRC SLAs DCs aren't affected by certain things but can't remember what they were, think it's feats(of which there are 4(!)) for enchantment DCs but it could have been items. Haven't played a DC caster since MoTU so only going on hearsay.

Could be pretty cool though, going to make quake druids pretty jealous.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Shiradi. Shiradi ya'll.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

When are these additions slated for? I might resub and come back for a bit once Wildstar expires and I get bored of Marvel Heroes again.

I really, really want to finish this lovely fighter life and TR out of it asap into a bard, divine caster, or just back to monk and say 'gently caress it never TRing again'.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 21, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I log on occasionally, get sad when I see I'm the only one on, and can't convince myself to resub (all the characters I care about require VIP)
I almost wish there was a DDO 2 to revitalize it - too bad it'll never happen. Neverwinter isn't really a D&D game - Or a good game, for that matter.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The Spellsinger and Warchanter changes are probably coming in U24 with the Anauroch Desert update. The paladin changes may or may not be then. Armor and mitigation changes is probably U25.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Wolpertinger posted:

I log on occasionally, get sad when I see I'm the only one on, and can't convince myself to resub (all the characters I care about require VIP)
I almost wish there was a DDO 2 to revitalize it - too bad it'll never happen. Neverwinter isn't really a D&D game - Or a good game, for that matter.

Yeah most everyone playing right now is doing so late night/early morning US it seems. And DDO2 might happen but it's unlikely to be Turbine (for better and worse), it would be 5e based, and will probably be heavily WoW cloned.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I've come back to play again. Please invite Caltrop Messing.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
What I would really like to see is a DDO 2nd edition, kind of FFIX style. A new engine, but let both engines communicate so people with older rigs could still use the existing engine. Keep all of the existing content, but then revitalize it for the new engine and include a good chunk of new content. This would keep all the ground work that has been done, especially lately, with prestige trees and ED's, but still offer an opportunity to repackage the game to new players. It would take a huge influx of cash and I wouldn't want turbine to be in charge any more, but I could see it having some success. Hard to say if it could match FFiX since DDO is so much older.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I always thought of the F2P change as DDO 2, lots of new blood, DX11(?) support and epics. The problem DDO has right now is the code-base is a huge mess and they fired everyone who's worked on it since the start.

Seems like they still have some good coders though, the changes to AI in U22 are pretty nice and seemed to come out of nowhere. Previously whoever was in charge of monster AI kept messing up stealth, blindness on mobs(still kind of busted) and such.

Oh and I thought U23 was the desert and 24 was the cap increase, so will they both be in the desert?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

No, I was just off by one. I was typing on my phone at the time, and I've long since lost track of which update is which # at this point. So U23 is the desert and bard changes (likely), maybe paladin. U24 is cap increase to 30 (where we'll be for the foreseeable future), as well as likely the mitigation changes, though I could see them being pushed back to U25. Not sure we know anything about U24 content wise yet. The mitigation changes are supposed to come with a treasure wave pass to get us more bucklers and small shields of worth too, since it'll move evasion tanks to using those, especially lower level ones.

And yeah the change to F2P kinda was a 2.0 type thing and definitely was an FF14 style relaunch. Including the fact that it's when we finally got a level 20 cap that should have been there since day 1. And DDO holds up pretty well graphically -- at least in the new armors/areas. Some of the newbie areas look real bad, doubly so because they're using half updated normal mapped textures and half old textures in some cases. I think the big problems lately is that number scaling in the epic levels, in particular, is out of control. The gap between each difficulty is too large (I'd be happy with a 1-10 system personally). And the fact that adding new spells is a huge task rather than a simple one, from the discussion in the bard threads, is pretty sad. Explains why we've had so few new spells added without adding a new class. We also suffer heavily from Abandoned System Syndrome. Most of them are no big deal, but then you have stuff like Cannith Crafting where people sunk tons of plat/hours into it, and it's now effectively dead because it's too expensive to update for a niche thing (that's only niche because it was abandoned and guild slots were (rightfully) removed).

It's also heavily burdened by still making attempts to adhere to a lot of the 3.5E mechanics that don't play well in a CRPG/MMO environment. I'm glad they've managed to go beyond that in a number of cases but it's always haunting them, and you get a lot of old guard people bitching when they do anything that strays from that in spite of just being bad gameplay a lot of times.

I mean I absolutely love DDO, and I don't think there's anything out there that really compares to it in gameplay and especially customization (and a cool TR system on top), but there's so much that could have been done better that's gotten screwed either because of development costs, F2P milking (hearts should have always just cost plat, no shard AH), or it just plain being old and difficult to work in.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Epic Destinies I thought were a 4th ed thing and they're what really broke the game, you build toons around exploiting as much BS as you can from them these days. Worse still only a few a really good, so every toon you make plays very similar if you use the same ED.

Really hope they don't go ahead with the evasion+heavy shield changes though, I don't even have a shield user I play anymore but 2x MRR and no dodge cap is pretty nuts compared to using a tower and getting a whopping +10 PRR and maybe 10% deflection.

Edit: Oh and when are we supposed to get the heart seed change? I've ground out enough to last maybe 3 months so I'm hoping next update.

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 22, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah they really need to improve the more lackluster EDs. Shiradi, Crusader, Draconic and Dreadnought are the only ones worth using most of the time. Magister, Fatesinger, Primal Avatar, Shadow Dancer and Grand Master all need improvements or reworks. Not just to increase power but to be more interesting and fun to play.

Also the seed thing should be in the next update, maybe a patch if we're real lucky.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I can't find any 'Order of the Ten Bux' people anywhere. Augh!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah there's not a lot of us around right now. I'll mail you an invite, by the time I remembered to the forums were hosed and I couldn't get the name. Sorry.

[Edit] Mailed you an invite.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 26, 2014

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
Minecraft is entirely to addictive. I'll be back to DDO once I'm done hitting blocks and building 8-bit penii.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's penasia you heathen.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I'm looking at making a bit of a comeback too, those Bard updates look great :)

Woden
May 6, 2006
How does the Perfect SWF feat work?

The wiki just says you need one destiny in Martial Sphere with max XP, I have three maxed. I don't have any balance, no SWF feats and also have imp TWF so it's probably one or more of those breaking it but just curious as to which one. Vorpals on 19-20 would be awesome, way better than the other Perfect feats which don't have any pre reqs other than destiny spheres.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Two-Weapon Fighting(/THF) and Single Weapon Fighting feats are mutually exclusive. It's probable that this applies to Perfect SWF too, since that only actually applies while single weapon fighting. Wonder if that means you can't take Perfect TWF as a SWF user anymore either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So, looking at Bard builds...I'm thinking of doing a swashbuckler either as a pure bard (and going full charisma, for casting purposes, or would I need to really concentrate my feats so disco balls wouldn't be completely useless?) or as a something like 12 bard/6 fighter/2 rogue and basically picking up a bunch of combat related feats and forgoing any shot at spellcasting. Either way, I think I'd do Drow for the race, because for once all their stat bonuses would actually be useful, and the Con penalty I can live with/compensate for. Between shield mastery feats and the SB enhancements, I figure I can get decent doublestrike, high dodge, and the crazy attack speed as well.

Unless I've completely forgotten everything I know about this game, that is. Does anyone have any good swashbuckler builds?

Edit - thought about going PDK, but that also means I have to take first level as a fighter, and I miss out on a helluva lot of skills to start with, plus they look real goofy but the healing amp they get is really nice and you kinda lock yourself in to using shortswords so you can use charisma to hit as well as damage (instead of just damage with the SB tree). Shadar-Kai is a possibility too, and I could go full on Dex if I choose to do that, but Drow just seems to offer the least penalties with a pretty great racial tree to boot (giving bonuses to hit/damage with shortswords and rapiers).

Gammon fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread