Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Except she its a huge character in her game. It's not like the new Pit game never came out. It even sold really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think they like having more than one character from a game if possible. All those other characters have ample representation from their games while Kid Icurus has just Pit.

I will say, while I don't want the character in the game because of the type of people that would want her in the game, I'm surprise they never added Krystal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

matrix ripoff posted:

I wasn't even aware she was a character in the game until she was announced.

That's what makes it an announcement you loving clod.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Bobnumerotres posted:

Palutena wasn't in a wildly popular recent 3DS game or anything!

I haven't played Uprising so if she indeed is a big part of that game then my bad.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's what makes it an announcement you loving clod.

Okay, my statement, taken in one way, sounds really loving stupid. So, when I said "in the game" you could take "the game" to mean the new Smash Bros. And if you do, then yes, it's really loving stupid and I'm a clod.

What I meant by "the game," though, was Kid Icarus itself, the NES game, which I've finished a couple of times and I never recalled a Palutena character and I just figured that she was pulled from some obscure piece of esoterica that only the biggest of Nintendo fans would know of.

I should have been more clear; sorry for causing this disruption.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

What I meant by "the game," though, was Kid Icarus itself, the NES game, which I've finished a couple of times and I never recalled a Palutena character and I just figured that she was pulled from some obscure piece of esoterica that only the biggest of Nintendo fans would know of.

She appears in the ending of the NES game after defeating Medusa and she's also made several appearances in Smash Bros. Brawl.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You really should play KI:Uprising, and Palutena is a major character who might have more lines than Pit does in that game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The new Kid Icarus and Sakurai's interpretation of those characters has like gently caress all to do with the original game, but Palutena was totally in Kid Icarus 1. She was that game's equivalent of the princess and her name was in the Japanese title for it too.

Also play KIU.

Isko
May 20, 2008
Well I just order a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo. As a primarily PC gamer, Wii U pretty much has the most games I care about out of the three consoles, a fact which surprised me. After E3 and all the various deals I couldn't stop myself from ordering one.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I've heard Uprising is really good and based on the soundtrack alone I'm inclined to agree. How does the game play and should I buy it?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've heard Uprising is really good and based on the soundtrack alone I'm inclined to agree. How does the game play and should I buy it?

it has really weird motion controls which require the handheld to be on a flat surface, the stand it comes with may or may not work.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Obligatory "I'm the only person who absolutely hated Uprising" post.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Suspicious Cook posted:

Buy a circle pad pro and it's fantastic since you can just use twin stick controls. The normal touch screen controls are kinda awkward.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Obligatory "I'm the only person who absolutely hated Uprising" post.

I didn't really like it either. I really tried to get into it but I found the ground controls to just sort be awkward and not comfortable. I liked the flying sections but was just finding the on foot sections such a slog that lasted so much longer than said flying sections, that I just sold it without getting that far. Maybe some day I'll go back and try it again if I can get it again for a good price but right now my experience was not great.

It's just odd to me that they made an IP to show off the system with a control scheme that really didn't work well on said system (kind of like Mario 64 DS).

Edit:

Elliotw2 posted:

Buy a circle pad pro and it's fantastic since you can just use twin stick controls. The normal touch screen controls are kinda awkward.

Wait...what? I thought the circle pad didn't work with Kid Icurus? Did they add that later or was I misinformed?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

The game will give you wicked hand cramps and they are loving WORTH IT.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Take your left hand and put your left index finger on the shoulder button of your 3DS. Put your left thumb on the circle pad. Take out the stylus with your right hand and put it over the touch screen.

Is that comfortable for you? If yes then go loving buy it immediately.

E: If no then go loving buy it immediately.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

homeless snail posted:

The new Kid Icarus and Sakurai's interpretation of those characters has like gently caress all to do with the original game

That's even used as a gag fairly early on with Hewdraw. They pull up his NES sprite and everything iirc.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ordered a refurbished Wii U last night. Today I picked up ZombiU (BB $10 deal), Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8. Got Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 for $75 by using price match with Walmart at Target and taking advantage of the $15 off games over 39.99 when you preorder select games for $1. For example, price matched Mario 3D World for $49.86 + $1 Smash preorder (you don't have to actually buy the game) - $15 for weekly ad deal + tax = $37.97. I think I can even return the preorder card if I really felt like it.

So for $300 I'm getting a Wii U Deluxe, Nintendoland, ZombiU, 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and also a free game once I register Mario Kart. That's pretty awesome.

What should I get for my free game? I'm thinking Pikmin 3, but I'm not sure. If it was NSMB U + Luigi then I'd probably get that, but it's just the base game I think.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

This, only my hand cramps were bad enough that I stopped playing after the first couple levels.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

Buy a circle pad pro and it's fantastic since you can just use twin stick controls.

No you can't. It'll let you use every possible configuration but twin-stick controls.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im gonna go ahead and suck dick here and say that I really loved the little nod about Luigi's deathstare. It wasn't gawdy and this huge graspy "HEY YOU GUYS MEMES!" it was just a little "we agree that this is the best happy accident ever."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lizard Wizard posted:

Mnn, gonna have to disagree there. Palutena and Pit are very charming though, I got about three levels in, felt like I had carpal tunnel, and never touched the game again.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Elliotw2 posted:

Warning, this is untrue. You can use the CPP but you can only use it to mirror existing buttons to CPP buttons, which means you either have moving on both sticks or aiming on both sticks. The dev team learned of the CPP too late to implement proper support for it.

Not that aiming with a stick would work well anyway, you need to be super fast in your aiming. The touchscreen works like a trackball, it's a bit odd at first but once you get how they intend you to play it it works really well, assuming you can find a comfortable position where you can use both the stick and the stylus at once. (Try supporting the right side of your 3DS with your pinky, works well for me.)

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Coming into this thread as an early adopter after MK8 came out gives me a huge sense of:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Have Wonderful 101 and Tropical Freeze been on sale in the past?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wonderful 101 goes on sale quite regularly, Tropical Freeze has had promo deals and such (theres one at Best Buy right now) but no big sales.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is a bunch of tweets from @NintendoAmerica about some strategy game concerning steam and how fighters have boilers?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

GreenNight posted:

There is a bunch of tweets from @NintendoAmerica about some strategy game concerning steam and how fighters have boilers?

For a 3DS game, Project S.T.E.A.M.

The Nintendo E3 thread and 3DS threads are posting along, but look here as well.

http://live.polygon.com/nintendo-3ds-miyamoto-event-e3-2014/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh right on. Thanks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Is Kid Icarus Uprising any good for a lefty? And no, I will not play right handed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Is Kid Icarus Uprising any good for a lefty? And no, I will not play right handed.

The Circle Pad Pro can be used to make the controls more left hand friendly but if you don't have one of those and dont' wanna get one, I hear it's really a pain.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope Pac-Man in Smash Bros means that one day the Wii U gets a port of Pac-Man CE or CE DX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spacebump posted:

I hope Pac-Man in Smash Bros means that one day the Wii U gets a port of Pac-Man CE or CE DX.

We were supposed to get one earlier in the year for a bunch of platforms including Wii U and 3DS but Namco cancelled the Nintendo versions and gave some weird excuse I can't remember offhand.

They did just release a few older games on the Wii U VC without telling anyone: Famicom Pac-Land and some GBA compilation that probably sucks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, how do unlockables work online in MK8? Is everything there already or do you need to unlock offline first?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Should I get a screen protector for the gamepad?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Shyfted One posted:

Should I get a screen protector for the gamepad?
If you're rough with your stuff or people that use it might be yes, otherwise no.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Let me know when KI:U costs a tenner and I'll try it. Otherwise I'll just take y'alls word for it and assume it's super-greatgood

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, how do unlockables work online in MK8? Is everything there already or do you need to unlock offline first?

You get characters (randomly) by getting winning gold for the first time in cups. Parts/Cars/Bikes unlocked by collecting coins in any mode.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
It is the middle of the year 2014 and Kid Icarus: Uprising is still the best game on the 3DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

It is the middle of the year 2014 and Kid Icarus: Uprising is still the best game on the 3DS

I would argue Fire Emblem Awakening but I agree with the sentiment of the post

• Locked thread