Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

As a Polish person, I have to say the Polish music scene is a source of great embarrassment for me. Even when the music is decent they look like complete dorks.

Then you have things like the Polish Euriovision entry.

Polish Eurovision entry was the best entry SHUT UP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If a country is not sending a ridiculous act to Eurovision they're doing it wrong.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Why does this game have a £50 RRP? Even with the 'discount' that I get from owning the previous two that's £37 which is £5-10 more than I tend to pay for new PC games on amazon and the like. The GOG page even acknowledges I'm paying ~$11 more than people in the US and then just offers to pay it back in store credit rather than... not charging it in the first place? Which is actually a worse service than they usually offer since they usually just charge one price, in USD, straight up. I mean the game is huge, has been in development for a while and looks to be loving incredible but it's still a shock considering Witcher 2 was quite inexpensive by 2011 standards and came in a really great box with a bunch of extraneous stuff thrown in that most other games would've made you pay ridiculously over the odds for.

That said I'll probably end up buying this on release because it's a witcher game and hey, CDPR deserve to eat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Why does this game have a £50 RRP?

The discount also lowers the amount of store credit you get, because it calculates credit based on "price you pay - $50," instead of "RRP - $50" or "price you pay - price you would have paid in USD with the same discounts."

But yeah, £50 RRP is loving mental. I might have accepted a £40 RRP at a push, but that's way too much.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

They're Polish, not Seriban. The band name is the word for Elemental (as in the magical creature kind) in Polish. This song isn't in Polish, but they have plenty that are.

In case you thought they were cool, have this hilarious music video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1neYaEz6UE

As far as I remember, it's not a matter of the Conjuntion or not, but magic. Magical creatures have a violently allergic reaction to silver. Not all monsters are magic. Also, you can cut them with a steel sword just fine, they're not immune like in some fantasy. A cut is still a cut. It's just that silver really fucks them up. In the books when the Witcher bound Adda in striga form with a silver chain she was screaming in pain just from the touch. If you're fighting a monster you take every advantage you can get, that's why the Witchers use silver.

Traditionally Witchers do not carry a sword for monsters and a sword for humans. They're both for monsters. The steel sword is a better weapon because silver is a lovely material to make a weapon from, the silver is better for creatures vulnerable to it. Witchers are monster hunters, they're not supposed to kill humans. And, as Geralt puts it, he doesn't - he kills monsters that call themselves human.

Swordchat reminds me of the end of the first game, which is my favorite Geralt moment: Geralt uses his silver sword to kill the antagonist, and just before he does, the bad guy says "but that sword's for killing monsters..." :drat:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gobblecoque posted:

Swordchat reminds me of the end of the first game, which is my favorite Geralt moment: Geralt uses his silver sword to kill the antagonist, and just before he does, the bad guy says "but that sword's for killing monsters..." :drat:
I love that line because of how much he suddenly sounds so Alvin-ish as opposed to his adult persona.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNiiQpDPJE

I continue my shilling crusade

Keep an eye out for a better quality version, this one doesn't make the game look as good as it really does

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 10, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Shill away, this is fantastic.

The facial work is outstanding. Well, everything is outstanding, but the faces stand out as having incredible detail. There's a nice bit of nuance in their expressions.

Also: jump button?!

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 10, 2014

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Keep an eye out for a better quality version, this one doesn't make the game look as good as it really does

Wait, how am I meeting with Dijkstra? Last we knew, hadn't he completely abandoned his old life, changed his name and gone into hiding after Phillipa tried to have him killed?

edit: higher quality version of the above content: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/10/the-witcher-3-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2014

Also, is this PC footage? This looks better than what we've seen to date, ableit with some aliasing, tearing and some noticeable z-fighting that I hope will be resolved before the game ships.

edit2: per CDPR forums, apparently it was X1 footage after all, which bodes well, indeed, for the PC version

Leb fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 11, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I was actually surprised and impressed by how competent the combat looked this time around. No awkward Arkahm Asylum imitating leashing that has you make gravity-defying jumps from one enemy to the next, actual blocking, fast attacks being actually fast, movement actually seemingly being fine. It actually feels like they have the basics down this time around.

Is this a thing that happens in the other games?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Roshnak posted:

Is this a thing that happens in the other games?

Sort of in the Witcher 2. Your Light attack turnings into a big flying strike when you are far away from your target.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
More new footage! http://www.gamespot.com/e3/samsung-stage-1-2014/

Rewind to ~5:29:40 for some new Witcher 3 stuff. The facial animations and body language during dialogue are amazing!

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

There's one major female character where this is the case. I think you're misremembering here.

As for becoming victims: virtually all the male characters get in deep poo poo at some point of the plot too. Even Geralt has to be rescued a couple of times.

I'm not just talking about major characters, I meant female characters in general. The ones that I can remember off of the top of my head are:

a) Vess, who was implied to have been sexually abused by the elves that abducted her and than got raped again by King Henselt.
b) Moril
c) Loredo's mother
d) Those three girls in that one quest who were murdered by their father.
e) Baroness La Valette. Why the hell was she shirtless when if you do the same sequence with her son being tortured instead, he's fully clothed?.
Not as blatant as some of the other examples, but still really gross.
f) Also in the La Valette dungeon there was a guard getting ready to rape an elvish woman before you sneaked up on him.

The implications of sexual violence didn't really upset me so much as I just felt a lot of it was really tacked-on. I don't know, maybe it's because I had just finished replaying Dragon Age:Origins that I couldn't stop thinking about how it all just seemed so cliche.

They're Polish, not Seriban. The band name is the word for Elemental (as in the magical creature kind) in Polish. This song isn't in Polish, but they have plenty that are.

In case you thought they were cool, have this hilarious music video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1neYaEz6UE

When I was searching for that song I found a website that said they are a Serbian band based in Poland or something. And yeah, it had a picture of them in all their renaissance fair glory.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
New shots from CDPR forums:

I'm going to assume these are PC shots.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

No.44 posted:

When I was searching for that song I found a website that said they are a Serbian band based in Poland or something. And yeah, it had a picture of them in all their renaissance fair glory.

Oh, in that case maybe they are Serbian. In which case, oops.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HuAroY1Oo

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Oh god, look at all those crates and boxes that I'm going to have to compulsively loot each and every one of. It's going to take me forever to make any actual progress once I get to this city.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 11, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I said it just earlier today, but the faces are incredible.

And combat looks so visceral and punchy. Aaaaarrgh, I can't wait!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'm really curious how they'll handle Yennifer.

I seem to remember it being implied she fell in love with Geralt as a result of his wish. Does that still apply if she died?

Someone asked about the perk implying Triss was controlling Geralt. She's not really a nefarious character - from the books at least she's basically the 'nicest' person in the setting. Which may/may not mean much, but she's a saint compared to all the other sorceresses, really (and the most young/naive, which plays into her conversation with Philippa in W2). The other big part of her character is that she's madly in love with Geralt and is sort of a foster sibling/parent to Ciri.

Though she did hypnotize Geralt into having sex with her at one point

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Starting to dig the beard now. Seems natural.

*edit - vvv - DADJOKE ALERT

isk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 11, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

isk posted:

Starting to dig the beard now. Seems natural.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It kind of grows on you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Latest scoop on the Witcher franchise! Marvel at the nextgen graphics!

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Oh, in that case maybe they are Serbian. In which case, oops.

In all fairness the website used pretty broken english so I could be mistaken. :shrug:

Has there been any info yet on the questing system and world map of W3? I remember that in the W2 I got misled at least twice after mapping quests.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Looks ready to go for Wii and mobile devices :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Johnny is loving adorable :3:

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I am replaying the game again to get myself ready for Witcher 3 , and im in the big fork in the road... the question is, which path after the first act (Roche or Iorveth) cover more narrative important ground ?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

admataY posted:

I am replaying the game again to get myself ready for Witcher 3 , and im in the big fork in the road... the question is, which path after the first act (Roche or Iorveth) cover more narrative important ground ?

Iorveth probably covers more story points than Roches what with the dragon being an actual character in act 2.

Too bad the blue coats has more interesting characters than Iorveths elves.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Spite posted:

I seem to remember it being implied she fell in love with Geralt as a result of his wish. Does that still apply if she died?

She fell in love with him because of what he wished is the implication, it wasn't like a mind-control MAKE HER LOVE ME wish. Eg. "I didn't know you felt that way" So if her memory is gone, it probably wont apply. But if she regains her memory it definitely will.

Spite posted:

She's not really a nefarious character - from the books at least she's basically the 'nicest' person in the setting.

uhhh.... you mean except for: Yeah let's totally use Ciri as a tool/breeding sow in our plan to take over a kingdom and oh by the way Yennifer, I'm going to tell Ciri that you died a traitor, aiding the people that she hates. Because that will make Ciri much easier for us to control.

Spite posted:

Which may/may not mean much, but she's a saint compared to all the other sorceresses

Yennifer is easily twice as good. She selflessly tries to help Ciri. Not to use her as a pawn. But to keep her safe. And she goes to extreme lengths, even putting herself in danger to do so. She calls in pretty much all her favors, uses huge quantities of her money and Skellige's. Is even willing to go through extreme pain and suffering, as seen at the temple on Skellige. Oh and when the riots start and Ciri runs off and they know Geralt is in the middle of it Yennifer goes into 'must save them mode' and Triss goes into 'hey uh so we should probably just leave' mode

Also Fringilla Vigo is generally objectively a better person as well, just less naive.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Roobanguy posted:

As far as characters go, the good ones in Iorveth's Path aren't the elves, who you barely interact with, it's the dwarves of Vergen. I'd say they're more fun than the Blue Stripes.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Oh and when the riots start and Ciri runs off and they know Geralt is in the middle of it Yennifer goes into 'must save them mode' and Triss goes into 'hey uh so we should probably just leave' mode

Talk about Triss Isn't she horrifically scarred, both mentally as well as physically from the Battle of Brenna? I'm sure I remember reading about how her experiences there had had a profound effect on her and left her terrified of violence because she remembered dying and the pain and the horrific things she'd seen done to friends. I think I can forgive her being a little battleshy after that!

So that this post isn't all black bars: I personally prefer Iorveths path because of the dwarves and also I like the story there, freedom fighters and Saskia and being all 'let's tell Henselt to plough himself!' Plus Phillipa is fun.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
But no path is the one cannon path leading to watcher 3 I hope ? I mean the trailers atleast make me know exactly how I will handle the final fight of Witcher 2 ( based on some big loveable goof showing up for a brief second ) .

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

admataY posted:

But no path is the one cannon path leading to watcher 3 I hope ? I mean the trailers atleast make me know exactly how I will handle the final fight of Witcher 2 ( based on some big loveable goof showing up for a brief second ) .

I don't think there were any path-specific consequences which would have a serious impact on the state of the world in the third game.

On an unrelated note, I was kind of disappointed that the Squirrels were portrayed as much less morally ambiguous than they were in the first game. I liked that in the first game both sides eventually did something that made you go, "Wait- you want to do what?"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

Iorveth probably covers more story points than Roches what with the dragon being an actual character in act 2.

Iorveth's path though doesn't really explain the whole sequence at the end of act 2 very well, specifically the curse and why the sorceress did what she did, who the players were, who Dethmold is and his motivations, etc. I'd summarize the choices as "Roche = going after the Kingslayer, Iorveth = finding Triss."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm personally expecting W2 paths to have as much impact on W3's story as W1 paths did on W2. That is, minimal, just some dialogue changes and a possible cameo.

And if by "canon" you mean "default", the best way to prepare for that is to not import a save into W3 at all.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
^^^
This is what I expect as well, unless CDProjekt comes out and starts hyping up the importing of saves.

Roshnak posted:

I don't think there were any path-specific consequences which would have a serious impact on the state of the world in the third game.

Uh there were a hell of a lot of choices which could have a serious impact on the state of the world. Whether or not they are going to impact Witcher 3 though is up in the air. The game could entirely take place at a time or place where they dont matter or the developers could just set a canon of sorts in stone.

Temeria for one can be united under Anais, absorbed by Redania, carved up between Redania and Kaedwen, or totally balkanized into independent lordships. Both Adern and Kaedwen can be left without kings and heirs for that matter, Saskia's Pontar state could either exist, be absorbed by Kaedwen or left leaderless. The witch hunt or lack thereof of magic users of course has a serious impact on the blanace of power in the world and particularly the North. If Aryan dies the Lavalettes possibly start colluding with Nilfgaard.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 12, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, there's a difference between "impact on the state of world" and "impact on W3's storyline". The political status of Temeria, Aedirn, Kaedwen and the Council of Sorcerors are important in the world but may be mostly irrelevant to W3's story.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

uhhh.... you mean except for: Yeah let's totally use Ciri as a tool/breeding sow in our plan to take over a kingdom and oh by the way Yennifer, I'm going to tell Ciri that you died a traitor, aiding the people that she hates. Because that will make Ciri much easier for us to control.

Yeah, I didn't remember it being that horrible. But I read fan translations quite a few years ago, so the details are fuzzy. Though wasn't Triss basically just what the other sorceresses wanted? I remember her as being a pretty weak character, really - her character was basically I'M IN LOVE WITH GERALT or I'M BEING MANIPULATED BY PEOPLE. They basically used her because she was close to Geralt/Ciri and she was too naive/weak/insecure to do anything about it. She's a more rounded character in W2, I think. Though, again my memory could be hazy.

And yeah, she's supposed to be very scarred. I remember there being a point about her not being able to wear low cut shirts because she's horribly scarred.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, in the demos they keep mentioning No-Mans land and the Skellige Islands which are both new locations. I'm guessing that No-Mans land is around the border with Nilfgard where they have invaded, so much farther south than the Pontar Valley from Witcher 2. As these are both new locations you can have just minor references to the W2 events without it impacting too much on what Geralt's doing now. It would be cool if it imported your save and it influenced those references though. Maybe Comte de Saint-Germain could comment :cheeky:

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Lycus posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between "impact on the state of world" and "impact on W3's storyline". The political status of Temeria, Aedirn, Kaedwen and the Council of Sorcerors are important in the world but may be mostly irrelevant to W3's story.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Almost everything that happened, politically, in TW2 could potentially only be mentioned in passing in TW3.

More specifically, Everything that happened with Temeria might be functionally irrelevant, since the trailers seem to suggest that the capital, at least, is occupied by Nilfgaard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Helith posted:

Talk about Triss Isn't she horrifically scarred, both mentally as well as physically from the Battle of Brenna? I'm sure I remember reading about how her experiences there had had a profound effect on her and left her terrified of violence because she remembered dying and the pain and the horrific things she'd seen done to friends. I think I can forgive her being a little battleshy after that!

It was at Sodden Hill not Brenna. Sodden Hill was the first war. Brenna was the second war, which takes place over most of the Witcher novels.

She isn't that mentally scared, shes actually more disappointed that she isn't going to be going back to war. She laments that she isn't standing with them at the Battle of Brenna, because she feels that it's important to stop the Nilfgaardians, but Philipa convinces her to look at the 'bigger picture.'

Also Yennifer was at Sodden Hill, so you can't really suggest that her experience was somehow different. Yennifer was blinded in the battle, which probably means some pretty heavy facial damage, because it was nearly permanent. She likely had to regrow a lot of her face like Vilgefortz.

I am being slightly duplicitous, with my attacks on Triss's character though because she did eventually return to help Yennifer with the Rivian riots.

Spite posted:

Yeah, I didn't remember it being that horrible. But I read fan translations quite a few years ago, so the details are fuzzy. Though wasn't Triss basically just what the other sorceresses wanted? I remember her as being a pretty weak character, really - her character was basically I'M IN LOVE WITH GERALT or I'M BEING MANIPULATED BY PEOPLE. They basically used her because she was close to Geralt/Ciri and she was too naive/weak/insecure to do anything about it. She's a more rounded character in W2, I think.

"Of all evil I deem you capable: Therefore I want good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws." - Nietzche

Triss may be one of the weaker major players. At least compared to heavy weights like Sile, Yennifer, Vilgefortz. But she is definitely one of the strongest sorcs in the world. She isn't weak of strength she is weak of character(and yes I agree this is much less true in the games than in the books.) She wasn't naive and she wasn't manipulated, she knew exactly what was happening, it was even spelled out for her in black and white in a conversation with Yennifer and Phillipa. She went along with it because she believe Phillipa was right and was too weak willed to go against anything Phillipa said.

The most telling part is the conversation Triss has over the megacrystal, which she begins by immediately lying to Yennifer. In short the convo basically goes:

Yen: Are you alone?
Triss: Yes I am.
Yen: You're lying to me.
Phil/Triss: Oh haha you caught us.
Yen: If I die, clear my name for me please.
Phil: Nah, this way we can manipulate Ciri.
Triss: Why don't you help us anyways though, Yen, because we are less awful than Vilgefortz.
Yen: Yeah I planned to do that anyways, but will you at least tell Geralt I'm not a traitor?
Phil: Nah, it's better that he wont try to get revenge. Plus hes probably dead already.
Yen: Can you please save him at least? I will give you all my intel if you save him.
Phil: Nah, who gives a poo poo about Geralt.
Yen: Now you see who the lodge really is Triss. You were a big sister to Ciri, and now you'll let Geralt die?

And concludes:
‘Forgive me,’ said Triss Merigold dully. ‘Forgive me, Yennefer.’
‘Oh no, Triss. Never.’

Triss knows exactly what the score is. And she makes her choice. But then again, that's just the books. W2 Triss shows a much bigger reluctance to ruin peoples lives for the convenience of political plots.

• Locked thread