Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

aers posted:

She says she's 902 two arcs later (the manga equivalent of SuperS) which I guess puts her around 7-8, matching with her anime age then. The tl;dr is that Naoko's pretty drat weird.

Did I make this up, or was it said that Chibiusa started to grow and age at a faster rate after gaining her own power? I guess it should technically put her physically has 9 or 10 in Stars, but there's no way she looks like that. I may have completely made this up to compensate for the fact that Naoko cannot draw children (which is another thing I feel like I've heard her admit before).

If they continue with the psuedo-manga art style in Crystal, I hope they do something about how the younger characters or drawn, or maybe tweak their ages. Assuming they'll get that far, I know I would really love to see the Amazon Quartet's sailor forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Violet_Sky posted:

Also, I'm about as tall as Usagi. :(

Going by the size chart, I'm on par with Haruka in terms of height (5'9"). But I can imagine the heights of the girls changed as the series went on, or maybe they didn't because they barely aged at all in the series.

On a different topic, I'm a little scared to see what they choose to use as "Current Fashion".

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Most tall characters in anime are pretty average when compared to Westerners.

Let's see we got Risa from Lovely Complex at 172cm (5'6")

and Sakaki from Azumanga at 174cm(5'7")

And the various tall Sailors already discussed. So, yep.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2014

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

aers posted:

Of course than there's the nutso fan interpretation where some fans believe Usagi is a tyrannical despot who used the Crystal to erase everyone's free will and rule eternally, because there's no way people could live in peace and harmony without it! These people apparently didn't pay attention to the manga or anime because the overall tone is about love, friendship, and optimism.

A reading I like is that before Chibiusa went back in time, Crystal Tokyo was, not a dystopian place, but a somewhat cold place, where things just weren't quite as good as they could be, and NQS and Endymion were rather remote parents. When she goes back, because of the experience they had knowing her in the past, things are better and brighter and happier. (Like Back to the Future!)

I think the R Crystal Tokyo arc also proves conclusively that surprise birthday parties are a terrible idea.

Dove from Above fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chrysolith posted:

Did I make this up, or was it said that Chibiusa started to grow and age at a faster rate after gaining her own power? I guess it should technically put her physically has 9 or 10 in Stars, but there's no way she looks like that. I may have completely made this up to compensate for the fact that Naoko cannot draw children (which is another thing I feel like I've heard her admit before).

If they continue with the psuedo-manga art style in Crystal, I hope they do something about how the younger characters or drawn, or maybe tweak their ages. Assuming they'll get that far, I know I would really love to see the Amazon Quartet's sailor forms.

She does visibly age slightly between Black Moon and Stars, but it's debatable over whether that's her powers awakening or time travel shenanigans.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That link to Wildmushroomland on the last page had a couple preview images linked. They look pretty good!

Just in case you didn't want to go back a page, Usagi and friends in a cafe and the Sailor Guardians getting ready for battle.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Rei looks like a completely different person.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
That's because Rei's personality was drastically changed for the 90's anime.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Snorb posted:

That link to Wildmushroomland on the last page had a couple preview images linked. They look pretty good!

Just in case you didn't want to go back a page, Usagi and friends in a cafe and the Sailor Guardians getting ready for battle.

That mouth style annoys the hell out of me

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

CHiRAL posted:

Yeah, I think that's what's bothering me the most so far. It's almost like a deviantArt idea of what Anime mouths are supposed to look like. Which is sad because I love almost everything else about the art so far except their faces.

I do love that Usagi is still a fat kid at heart, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CHiRAL posted:

They all look like they're making :D or :aaa: faces all the time.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Kanos posted:

They all look like they're making :D or :aaa: faces all the time.

With their tongues almost hanging out but not quite

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
I like that Makoto's hair is redder this time around, like the manga. Those mouths are seriously outrageously terrible. If it weren't for the slight differences, I would think they were copy-pasted. Despite their open mouths, their faces still come off as disappointingly energy-less. I would have really loved to see some more personality, especially in the group battle-ready pose. It looks like someone drew anime fanart of some Sailor Moon cosplayer photoshoots.

I think that's the majority of my issue with this so far: I'm not seeing any personality in any of these girls. You can swap their faces and recolour the eyes appropriately and hardly tell the difference.

I like Mako's profile in the cafe image, though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm still optimistic that it'll look better in action.

I honestly think people are still just used to the 90s anime look so the new one is throwing them off.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I honestly think people are still just used to the 90s anime look so the new one is throwing them off.

No, the nostalgia just amplifies the awfulness of this style. If I saw these images as promos for an anime I didn't know I can tell you right now I wouldn't watch it

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

CHiRAL posted:

No, the nostalgia just amplifies the awfulness of this style. If I saw these images as promos for an anime I didn't know I can tell you right now I wouldn't watch it

Different strokes I guess. The new one looks fine to me personally. v:v:v

aers
Feb 15, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

Then don't! :)

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

aers posted:

Then don't! :)

But it's Sailor Moon! :kiddo:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

But it's Sailor Moon! :kiddo:

Then do!

The number of people who worked on the original show in important positions still working at Toei is probably less than 5, unfortunately.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Took a short interlude in R to watch the movie tied to that season.

It had the old english dub available with both the original and the american soundtrack.
Needless to say, I had to put the english soundtrack on just once to listen to that cheesy as gently caress intro song. Honestly I'm a bit surprised that material sounded as good as it did since I didn't think they released the version with the edited soundtrack on DVD or anything.

As for the movie itself, animation is nice. But the story's just kind of there. No drama or anything since you know that at the end of the day the villain will lose and the Sailor Senshi will win. That's sort of why the series is fun for me though.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 12, 2014

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Took a short interlude in R to watch the movie tied to that season.

It had the old english dub available with both the original and the american soundtrack.
Needless to say, I had to put the english soundtrack on just once to listen to that cheesy as gently caress intro song. Honestly I'm a bit surprised that material sounded as good as it did since I didn't think they released the version with the edited soundtrack on DVD or anything.

As for the movie itself, animation is nice. But the story's just kind of there. No drama or anything since you know that at the end of the day the villain will lose and the Sailor Senshi will win. That's sort of why the series is fun for me though.

Yeah, but Sailor Moon DIED for a while there and really freaked her friends out! And the story makes so much more sense of Mamoru's, you know, personality. And why it's such a hot mess.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The R movie is a big bundle of Ikuhara and it owns. Also the English dub was released on DVD.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
The R movie always felt like a nice long episode with better animation (and for some reason I adore the intro graphic, with the logo being negative space and I think shot on a multiplane camera, beyond all reason). And the score! It was so much fun!
The movies kept doing neat stuff, too. Like the rainbow effect in ... I forget which of the next two movies, with everybody in a circle and all their color elements turned white.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

junopsis posted:

The movies kept doing neat stuff, too. Like the rainbow effect in ... I forget which of the next two movies, with everybody in a circle and all their color elements turned white.

That was the S movie, with Kaguya, I think. That's the scene I always think of when I think of that movie. Pretty dang neat.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

I really love the movies. Even the dubbed versions for their stupidly cheesy songs, although I've never seen the SuperS movie dubbed. "The Power of Love" is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. The dub had a lot of really bad moments, but I really love the music. YOU'VE GOT TO BELIIIIIEEEEVE IN THE POOOWER OF LOVE~~~ Honestly, I prefer the dubbed song over the one that plays in the original. What is it, "La Soldier?" I remember that scene being really pretty, too, with the crystal and her pink fluttering ribbons. Really gorgeous. I used to play that one CD all the time, where they did covers of the Beatles songs.

I think the SuperS is my favourite, with R in close second. The S movie didn't do much for me, but I've only seen it maybe twice. I do remember liking that circle scene. The movies did do some really cool stuff.

I drew some fanart not too long ago and thought I would drop it here. This was my first time drawing Sailor Moon since before I've graduated high school, so it's been about 10 years.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
In the R movie? It's moon revenge, woooooo. And nobody gets to hate on Moon Revenge when I am around. :colbert:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Power of Love replaces both Moon Revenge in the R movie and La Soldier in the final battle episode of R.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Haine posted:

That was the S movie, with Kaguya, I think. That's the scene I always think of when I think of that movie. Pretty dang neat.

The sad thing is, that's the only good part about the S movie. The rest is boring and creepy.

R movie owns and SuperS is okay.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

deadly claris posted:

I think the SuperS is my favourite, with R in close second. The S movie didn't do much for me, but I've only seen it maybe twice. I do remember liking that circle scene. The movies did do some really cool stuff.

Another vote here for the SuperS movie. The 3 o'clock Fairy song was really catchy and the whole thing was beautifully animated.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

I remember both of those songs now. It's been too long since I've seen the R movie.

neongrey posted:

In the R movie? It's moon revenge, woooooo. And nobody gets to hate on Moon Revenge when I am around. :colbert:
Oh, I like the song. I like it a lot. It might be because I saw the dub first, but neither song seemed to fit with their scenes when I saw subbed. Disappointing, because I really like the songs. The dub corrupted me. D:<

Potsticker posted:

Another vote here for the SuperS movie. The 3 o'clock Fairy song was really catchy and the whole thing was beautifully animated.
I looove that song, but yes, the animation was beautiful. I loved the crisp lines and bright colours. The bonbons were a little terrifying, though. Queen Badiane's outfit is totally badass - actually, I really like most of the outfits in the movie. I also really like the cookie scene in the beginning while Makoto was explaining the story to Chibiusa. The girls were really beautifully animated and I don't think I've ever seen Mako so pretty. They really outdid themselves. I also recall the scene with Chibiusa and Perle in front of the sweets shop being really pretty. And the scene in the black dream hole with all of the girls, when they all glow their respective colours. And every other scene. The whole movie is just gorgeous.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The best thing about the R movie is seeing the girls do their attacks without the stock animation and utterly mow through hundreds of plant monsters. The bit where Venus beams through a vast swathe of them was like something out of Gunbuster!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

She's Got The Power is the best Sailor Moon dub song, nerds. :colbert:

Personally, I like more then both of the songs that Stan Bush did for the Transformers movie.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Dexie posted:

She's Got The Power is the best Sailor Moon dub song, nerds. :colbert:

Personally, I like more then both of the songs that Stan Bush did for the Transformers movie.

You seem to have misspelled "My Only Love" there.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Violet_Sky posted:

The sad thing is, that's the only good part about the S movie. The rest is boring and creepy.

Disagree! The S movie has a fantastic opening of the girls just hanging out around town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TTu6E2g7I

Super S has a good one, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eIuWocaMCM

Those are my favorite bits of those two movies, I think.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Alaemon posted:

Disagree! The S movie has a fantastic opening of the girls just hanging out around town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TTu6E2g7I

I'm okay with fighting evil by moonlight, but honestly, I love the stuff that's just about the girls being a group of friends doing group-of-friends stuff so much. I hope Sailor Moon Crystal will have plenty of time for that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alaemon posted:

I forgot about the S movie opening! :argh: It's so great too!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Dove from Above posted:

I'm okay with fighting evil by moonlight, but honestly, I love the stuff that's just about the girls being a group of friends doing group-of-friends stuff so much. I hope Sailor Moon Crystal will have plenty of time for that.

That's what I really enjoyed about the live-action. Yeah, the fights and monsters were goofy, but the civilian stuff was so good.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Alaemon posted:

That's what I really enjoyed about the live-action. Yeah, the fights and monsters were goofy, but the civilian stuff was so good.

YES! The personalities and relationships are wonderfully developed. There are a couple of storylines I could do without, like Hina, or Minako's soap-opera brain tumour that occasionally causes mild headaches until it suddenly kills her, but there is so, so much great stuff there, especially Ami and Rei's arcs.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Potsticker posted:

DO you even know how long it took me to realize that the tune is probably based on Funeral March of a Marionette. Which is creepy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Reposting a question asked in the recommendations thread thanks to a kitten, I had forgotten about this thread.

Speaking of Shojo series, has anyone read the Sailor Moon manga and can comment on whether it's good/bad and why? I never saw any of the earlier anime developments and given that this new one is supposedly based a lot more on the manga than previous incarnations, it'd be useful to know if the source material was also good.

• Locked thread