Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The power button on my mini retina has gotten... Squishy. It started this morning and it's just not clicking in a satisfying way anymore. Did I get it dirty or something? How would I fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

The power button on my mini retina has gotten... Squishy. It started this morning and it's just not clicking in a satisfying way anymore. Did I get it dirty or something? How would I fix it?
It's less than a year old so get it fixed/replaced at an Apple Store if you have one nearby. Or call and swap it through mail.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I take a lot of handwritten notes both at work and lately in a few night courses that I've been taking.

Is note-taking on an iPad viable? Is there any stylus that even approaches the experience of writing on paper?

Edit: also, is the OneNote app any good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've yet to use a stylus that's anywhere as nice as writing on paper and I've tried multiple styles.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I use Evernote and penultimate for handwritten stuff, which usually ends up being either quick charts/grids or jotted recipe notes. Supposedly Evernote's search function can do some handwriting recognition in penultimate. It also has a neat feature where you zoom in on the section of page where you want to write and it will auto scroll along at the speed you write.

I also have "Paper by 53" which seems like more of an art thing. That app has a specific stylus they sell but I don't have it.

I have one other one I can't remember the name of that let's you do like, audio recording with playback that will write out your notes as you wrote them along with the audio. The icon is a pencil with a microphone for the eraser (sorry it's on my iPad but I'm on my phone at work now so I can't check the name). I haven't really used this one at all since I didn't get it until after I was a student and my job doesn't require any sort of note taking and Evernote syncs the one and I doodle in the other.

I don't use a stylus for any of them, just an index finger. It's always a little wonky but legible if I take my time. It would be faster to type if I know I'm doing extended notes, but for quick jots, especially if I'm including a diagram, it's pretty great.

:Edit: notability is the one with recording and note playback.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 9, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I take a lot of handwritten notes both at work and lately in a few night courses that I've been taking.

Is note-taking on an iPad viable? Is there any stylus that even approaches the experience of writing on paper?

Edit: also, is the OneNote app any good?

Yeah I took quite a few pages of notes on my mini with a Wacom bamboo stylus and it worked very well. I tried notability but ended up settling for Penultimate because I really like Evernote. The apps thread has a few guys who have gone totally paper free using styluses and apps.

As for onenote, I like Evernote better because of all the ecosystem support, but if you just want a digital filing cabinet for notes typed on your laptop, onenote works fine. They're both free so there's really no reason not to try either one.

japtor posted:

It's less than a year old so get it fixed/replaced at an Apple Store if you have one nearby. Or call and swap it through mail.

Thanks, I went to the store and the guy pressed the button a few times, pressed another iPad's button, declared it was definitely squishy and swapped it out on the spot. Good service.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My mom can't receive photos or videos through iMessage anymore, from anyone, but regular text messages go through fine. For the sender, the media fails to send and the "send by email" option appears.

Her iPad isn't full and it's running the latest iOS. This never used to be a problem until a few weeks ago. Any tips on what causes this?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I have found myself using my iPad Air at work quite a bit lately. I'm considering a Logitech keyboard cover (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultr...+keyboard+cover) and am wondering if there are any better alternatives. I want it to just be a cover, not a case, as I prefer to use the smartcover when I am not at work. Anyone have any ideas?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Zagg cover, I have one and it is fantastic. Clips on very secure and comes off quickly. Sweet backlit keyboard with great responsive keys.

Used mine a few months now and love it.

Edit: this guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EXPSCBC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1402543668&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

priznat posted:

Zagg cover, I have one and it is fantastic. Clips on very secure and comes off quickly. Sweet backlit keyboard with great responsive keys.

Used mine a few months now and love it.

Edit: this guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EXPSCBC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1402543668&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

That one looks pretty solid. It's $30 more expensive than the Logitech version, would you say it's worth the premium?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

That one looks pretty solid. It's $30 more expensive than the Logitech version, would you say it's worth the premium?

I would say so, especially because it turns it into a mini notebook where you just have to open it and it has a range of angles you can use it at. The logi or is fixed in one or two positions I think. Plus you have to slot it in there etc etc.

Also the backlighting is very useful.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So I have found myself using my iPad Air at work quite a bit lately. I'm considering a Logitech keyboard cover (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultr...+keyboard+cover) and am wondering if there are any better alternatives. I want it to just be a cover, not a case, as I prefer to use the smartcover when I am not at work. Anyone have any ideas?

I have the Folio version of that cover. It's pretty rad. Logitech makes pretty good stuff all around. If the cover version is anything like the keyboard version, it's money well spent.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Crossposting with iPhone thread, but a dude got a rough version of apple's app multitasking feature working under iOS8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrPVVO3A6yY

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The new "size classes" features in the developer tools keep getting called out as a hint that there are new sizes of iPhone coming... Which is undoubtedly true, but IMO it was probably primarily designed for running arbitrarily-sized apps on a multitasking iPad. I only wonder if they're going to restrict multitasking to apps that are (re)built using size classes or if they have some other solution for older apps. I wouldn't mind the former, really. App developers would be pretty quick to jump on that if forced to.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, I have a question. I've got an original iPad running 5.1.1 and my iTunes (11.4.1) won't sync with it anymore. Even when I plug the iPad directly into my iMac, iTunes doesn't see it.

The lady at the Apple store said that my iTunes may be too advanced for my iPad, which would require an iPad upgrade. I didn't think such a thing would be possible.

Should I just update to the latest iTunes, to see if it fixes itself?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nessa posted:

my iTunes (11.4.1)
11.2.2 is the latest version, so you must be mistaken.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

11.2.2 is the latest version, so you must be mistaken.

Whoops, yes, I mixed up those decimals. 11.1.4.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nessa posted:

So, I have a question. I've got an original iPad running 5.1.1 and my iTunes (11.4.1) won't sync with it anymore. Even when I plug the iPad directly into my iMac, iTunes doesn't see it.

The lady at the Apple store said that my iTunes may be too advanced for my iPad, which would require an iPad upgrade. I didn't think such a thing would be possible.

Yes, and let us know. I've got an old OG iPad that I haven't plugged in forever, but I wonder if it still works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

The new "size classes" features in the developer tools keep getting called out as a hint that there are new sizes of iPhone coming... Which is undoubtedly true, but IMO it was probably primarily designed for running arbitrarily-sized apps on a multitasking iPad. I only wonder if they're going to restrict multitasking to apps that are (re)built using size classes or if they have some other solution for older apps. I wouldn't mind the former, really. App developers would be pretty quick to jump on that if forced to.
They're for some of the extensions too, which conveniently gave them something concrete to talk about. I'm assuming it'll require support just cause it seems like something that could break stuff horribly (like letting a user open a fixed screen iPad game in the 1/3rd space), and they've been hard asses about explicitly supporting UI changes in the past.

I'll be happy if I can just get Notes and Safari side by side so I don't have to worry about Safari refreshing a post compose tab and dumping what I wrote if I open one tab too many for its memory constraints (Safari actually crashed the first time I tried posting this :argh:). Or a video app next to anything else, would've been nice for some E3 streams and following the forum threads. Or actually useful stuff :v: like reference material next to a writing app, really could've used that while in school.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Nessa posted:

The lady is full of poo poo. Not to say there's no chance something might be hosed on the iPad or cable but try this- http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

Update to the latest iTunes, yes. If that doesn't work, it's either the cable (which she HOPEFULLY tested in the store compared to a known working one) or the iPad itself. The last one would necessitate an upgrade.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Adonit and Adobe's new styluses are finally out (or at least officially on sale):
http://www.adonit.net/jot/touch/
http://www.adobe.com/products/ink-and-slide.html

$120 for Adonit's stylus or $200 for Adobe's w/ruler thingy. I expected as much but still kinda :stonk:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why do I have a folder called Camera uploads in my photos app? It's there on the ipad, but not on the iPhone and it's also missing some photos. Is it Dropbox related? Tried googling but that didn't make me smarter unfortunately.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

japtor posted:

Adonit and Adobe's new styluses are finally out (or at least officially on sale):
http://www.adonit.net/jot/touch/
http://www.adobe.com/products/ink-and-slide.html

$120 for Adonit's stylus or $200 for Adobe's w/ruler thingy. I expected as much but still kinda :stonk:

The Adobe link is hilarious with the "Cloud to Butt" extension.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
iPads Air are 100 bucks off brand new on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-Air-9-7-Retina-Display-16GB-WiFi-5th-Generation-Tablet/331239529095?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4d1f6a1a87

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Any recommended wall mounts? Got an iPad 4 and found MagBak on KickStarter which looks pretty good.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Costco just launched Apple products yesterday. I was able to get an iPad Mini Retina through T-Mobile and got about $100 in mail in rebates with it. I think the wifi only ones are coming with $40 iTunes gift cards.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Selklubber posted:

The Adobe link is hilarious with the "Cloud to Butt" extension.

Creative Butt Pen and Digital Ruler

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Also, this being my first iOS device: I thought tablets were a bad idea because I'd only used Android tablets. This is so much better and I wish I'd gotten an iPad earlier.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So I bought a Mini retina thanks to the BB deal. Problem is, I think I'm one of those people who can't find a use case for a tablet. I don't know what the hell to do with it. Its super light, great for reading, and is a comfortable couch/crapper browsing device.

I have an iPhone and a Macbook Air - I feel like the MBA is almost as good for almost all of that, and IMO better at web browsing since I can open a bunch of tabs.

Anyone else had similar problems? I dunno if its worth $300 just for a slightly more portable couch and toilet device.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry, but that seems like the dumbest question in the world to ask this thread. Do you expect us to tell you that you missed some hidden feature that will suddenly make it all worthwhile?

For some, it's definitely worth the money. No one else can really tell you whether or not it's worth it for you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cozmosis posted:

So I bought a Mini retina thanks to the BB deal. Problem is, I think I'm one of those people who can't find a use case for a tablet. I don't know what the hell to do with it. Its super light, great for reading, and is a comfortable couch/crapper browsing device.

I have an iPhone and a Macbook Air - I feel like the MBA is almost as good for almost all of that, and IMO better at web browsing since I can open a bunch of tabs.

Anyone else had similar problems? I dunno if its worth $300 just for a slightly more portable couch and toilet device.

You'll find uses for it soon enough. It's crazy how it fits uniquely into your workflow and productive life and is basically ideal for consumption. Are you looking for some tips or examples?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Sorry, but that seems like the dumbest question in the world to ask this thread. Do you expect us to tell you that you missed some hidden feature that will suddenly make it all worthwhile?

For some, it's definitely worth the money. No one else can really tell you whether or not it's worth it for you.

Yeah, you're right it is ridiculous. I guess I was just seeing if anyone else fought with the "do I really need a tablet" dilemma.

But some examples of people how people work the small tablet into the light laptop/Smartphone day to day life would be useful.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

Yeah, you're right it is ridiculous. I guess I was just seeing if anyone else fought with the "do I really need a tablet" dilemma.

But some examples of people how people work the small tablet into the light laptop/Smartphone day to day life would be useful.

Honestly when I'm home I just don't use my phone now a days (and that will probably go up with iOS 8 integration) since it's bigger screen, better multitasking, etc. I have a MacBook Air as well, but the iPad turns on faster so it's slightly different use cases. My MacBook Air will rarely leave my place, but my iPad can go with me most places: certainly to work and certainly when traveling.

There's no main thing that makes it useful, it's just super convenient and has fantastic battery life.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Cozmosis posted:

Brother, I have the same problem. I luckily won an iPad Air recently, just when I was thinking about getting a tablet (SP3), but I can't come up with an actual reason to buy one. I feel like my MBA will do everything I could do on my tablet and more.

As a student, what are some of the niche roles the tablet could play?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
People comparing iPads to MBA's must be really boring. Not trying to be rude but iOS (especially the iPads) have some pretty stellar and unique apps that can't really be recreated in a laptop experience.

Sounds like all you wanna do is poop browse the internet.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

People comparing iPads to MBA's must be really boring. Not trying to be rude but iOS (especially the iPads) have some pretty stellar and unique apps that can't really be recreated in a laptop experience.

Well that's what I'm looking for, really. Any examples you'd like to share? I've carried a MBA with me every day for the last 3 years to work and loved it, but aside from increased portability I haven't been able to figure where the Mini fits in. I really enjoy using it, but it seems more convenient to do most things, including web browsing on the laptop.

I don't really enjoy touchscreen/tablet gaming, save for a few games, so I don't really consider those much. I'd love to find something other than the toilet to really bring out what it does well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Isn't that what we all want though?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cozmosis posted:

Well, I've got a desktop on which I do most of my hard work like writing and photo editing.

But other parts of my work also involve a lot of reading and sharing media and annotating it in groups. So, say you want to talk through a flowchart. You can put the iPad on the table and take styluses to the flowchart. It's easy enough to crowd around a laptop, or print off copies and go over them, but the laptop is less engaging and the paper makes it harder to send a nice professional version of the collaboration to everyone.

The iPad is also the perfect tool for academic reading. I remember putting in hundreds of pages of paper reading, the disgusting piles and stacks and folders and post its, only to lose a reference and sift through everything to source that perfect quote. For hours. On top of the hours it took to organize all the poo poo in the first place. Now it's all synced and searchable AND easy to read, everywhere.

Also, the games are excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Donald Kimball posted:

Brother, I have the same problem. I luckily won an iPad Air recently, just when I was thinking about getting a tablet (SP3), but I can't come up with an actual reason to buy one. I feel like my MBA will do everything I could do on my tablet and more.

As a student, what are some of the niche roles the tablet could play?

Get on the Evernote train. Never keep class notes in word or whatever again.

I really think it's an essential tool for students in particular. It also pays for itself in cheaper electronic texts over a whole degree. Unless you get used ones, but they still suck and are heavy and unsearchable.