Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

JFairfax posted:

it is rather round

Brazuca that verruca!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business
I'm... all over it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azerban posted:

Please watch the U-20 Womens World Cup and Actual Womens World Cup, held in your country this year and next year respectively.

Gonna watch Christine Sinclair score a million goals and lead us to World Cup glory :getin:

...or at least I would if the tournament had bothered to hold any games in Toronto, Canada's largest city with the most football fans. Our country is loving stupid.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

JFairfax posted:

it is rather round

Have keepers started preemptively complaining about it yet?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I support USA because I was born in the USA and live in the USA. I still like Netherlands because when I was young they were cool and good and had orange uniforms and funny haircuts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Big Black Dick posted:

Have keepers started preemptively complaining about it yet?

I read an article a few weeks ago that said that even though it's round, because it has those little bumps instead of being smooth like the Jabulani, it doesn't have the same weird effects and should behave more predictably. Won't stop keepers from complaining about it though.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

vyelkin posted:

...or at least I would if the tournament had bothered to hold any games in Toronto, Canada's largest city with the most football fans. Our country is loving stupid.

This is due to the other huge sporting event that we all care about, the PanAm Games.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

vyelkin posted:

Gonna watch Christine Sinclair score a million goals and lead us to World Cup glory :getin:

Um excuse me, if there were to be another tourney in Canada, why not hold it at the glorious Stade Olympique????

oh wait, no trolling, sorry

e: vvv Welp, sucks for them, then. Fun fact: The tower has shitloads of spiders on it at the top.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 11, 2014

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Stroop There It Is posted:

Um excuse me, if there were to be another tourney in Canada, why not hold it at the glorious Stade Olympique????

oh wait, no trolling, sorry

uh that is one of the venues

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azerban posted:

This is due to the other huge sporting event that we all care about, the PanAm Games.

I'm aware. Doesn't make it less stupid that the biggest city in the country doesn't get to host any matches at all.

It's like holding it in Brazil and having no games in Rio.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Tsaedje posted:

England doing well would only make Nigel Farage happy, and the England team is comprised entirely of twats, so I'm just going to be an unpatriotic prick, enjoy the football and laugh when England crash out of the group stage.

I'm going to watch as much of the World Cup as possible, it will be good and fun and I won't have to drown any sorrows. I might, however, have to drink to get through a few tedious 0-0 group stage matches.

Any word on how spherical the ball is this year?

I hear Nigel Farage enjoys breathing and also existing what is your stance on these activities?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Bland posted:

I hear Nigel Farage enjoys breathing and also existing what is your stance on these activities?

I think I'd prefer if he stopped but I'm not going to make an effort to make it so. Does my opinion matter?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I will be rooting for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA because that's where I was born, currently live, lost my virginity in, and pay taxes to.

I will NOT be cheering for any other teams because gently caress other teams.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Bland posted:

I'm generally pro-breathing and existing. I don't base my life on being exactly contrary to loudmouthed bigots, I just prefer to see them unhappy than happy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blackula69 posted:

Life does not stop and start at your convenience you miserable piece of poo poo

how would you know

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Funky Koval posted:

I'm transethnic and will support Australia because I studied and lived there for eight years which pretty much makes me Australian imo.
Can you cook churrawurra and perform in their bars?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Soulex posted:

I am American, I want America to win. However, I live in Germany. I want Germany to win. I like Italian football, and have been to Italy. Italy would be ok to win, but I'm upset with how the team is performing.

Nothing wrong here. However, as much as I am not a bleeding die hard fan of the USMNT, I want them to win the most because I am American.

This is pretty much my stance. I realize that my post was pretty dumb but as it's obvious I really don't know what I'm talking about!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
After careful thought I have come to a decision that I want to share in this safe space, away from all the nasty trolls: In this World Cup I will be rooting for Portugal. I hope every other team loses, because that means the team I support will win. Good day goonsires *tips hat*

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

dkj posted:

gently caress other teams.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
gently caress you guys. I hope the USMNT does well, but I've been supporting German soccer since '94. USMNT is welcome to get second place in the group, but that's it.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

i like all of the teams tbh, football is the winner

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I will be supporting Australia because I live here and was born here and I believe they really do have a chance to win a game since I have mental health problems.

In reality once they bomb out of the group stage I'll hedge my Like bets on my German and English heritage.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Tsaedje posted:

I'm generally pro-breathing and existing. I don't base my life on being exactly contrary to loudmouthed bigots, I just prefer to see them unhappy than happy.

I, too, hope that Australia lose

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

euroboy posted:

i like all of the teams tbh, football is the winner

I agree with this sentiment and I would add that I hope everyone has a jolly good time watching and posting about it, except:

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I, too, hope that Australia lose

Australia are the exception, I hope they suck dicks and lose and get mocked by all the NZ media, because they are stupid and poo poo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

tbp posted:

You can only support your country, the one you were born in unless you moved at like >1 yr old

You can be sort of happy if other countries do cool poo poo but you can not be that happy
If your spouse is from another country is it okay to root for them as well as your home country?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've heard Hitler was a fan of Germany therefore I want to see them lose.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Tzen posted:

If your spouse is from another country is it okay to root for them as well as your home country?

No.. this makes no sense. "My wife picks my teams"...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

iajanus posted:

I will be supporting Australia because I live here and was born here and I believe they really do have a chance to win a game since I have mental health problems.

In reality once they bomb out of the group stage I'll hedge my Like bets on my German and English heritage.

Do you have a Socceroos jersey with Anasta 7 on it?

edit: I would also cordially extend an ivnitation to #epl on synirc if any new fans want to chat about football (soccer) all around the world

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Tzen posted:

No and brutally troll her into tears when they lose

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If in doubt, follow this advice:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ds-9530038.html

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think there's anything wrong with picking a random country to root for if your own has no prospects of progressing in the World Cup.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

vaginal culture posted:

No and brutally troll her into tears when they lose
poo poo. I will be the one getting trolled on.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

There sure a lot of rules about how you should enjoy football

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with picking a random country to root for if your own has no prospects of progressing in the World Cup.

If you're European you should use Eurovision voting trends as a guide. Under no circumstances should you ever support a country that your country did not give any votes to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Funky Koval posted:

If you're European you should use Eurovision voting trends as a guide. Under no circumstances should you ever support a country that your country did not give any votes to.
poo poo I think that means I have to support Poland or Latvia

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Byolante posted:

Do you have a Socceroos jersey with Anasta 7 on it?

edit: I would also cordially extend an ivnitation to #epl on synirc if any new fans want to chat about football (soccer) all around the world

Our lord and saviour wears six, not seven, you heathen:colbert:. In unrelated news, if Australia actually manage to win the whole cup I'll buy that jersey.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Australia will beat Chile tomorrow by 2 goals

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

the posted:

gently caress you guys. I hope the USMNT does well, but I've been supporting German soccer since '94. USMNT is welcome to get second place in the group, but that's it.

This is legitimately hosed up, OP.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
If your country is at the World Cup you must support them and them alone or you are a giant poo poo. Once they go out, feel free to be a fan of the other teams (but you must dislike the team that knocked your team out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Mash posted:

If your country is at the World Cup you must support them and them alone or you are a giant poo poo. Once they go out, feel free to be a fan of the other teams (but you must dislike the team that knocked your team out).

This is true with the exception that if that team gets to the final you should support them because then there's no shame for your country in getting knocked out by the eventual winner.

• Locked thread