Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thatbastardken posted:

In a couple of years I'm going to have to stand in front of the supreme court to be admitted as a solicitor and this whole farce is going to make it real hard to take the whole thing seriously.

Why are you studying law in the year of our lord 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Oh ABC Fact Check, how I love you.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Salvos detention centre workers recruited through Facebook

Naomi Woodley reported this story on Thursday, June 12, 2014 18:14:00

MARK COLVIN: Two former workers at offshore immigration centres have told a Senate inquiry that the Salvation Army recruited them through social media, and they weren't given any training before being sent overseas.

Nicole Judge and Christopher Iacono both worked at the centres on Nauru and Manus Island in 2013 and the early part of this year.

They told the inquiry into the death of an Iranian asylum seeker that they routinely had to provide support to suicidal and severely ill detainees. And they say they were threatened with criminal prosecution if they spoke about their experiences.

From Canberra, Naomi Woodley reports.

NAOMI WOODLEY: The Salvation Army had a contract to provide welfare and support services for asylum seekers sent to Nauru and Manus Island up until the end of February this year.

Today the Senate inquiry set up to look at the circumstances surrounding the death of an Iranian asylum seeker in February, heard from two former Salvos employees.

NICOLE JUDGE: I was given no training. I didn't even have a job interview.

SARAH HANSON-YOUNG: You didn't even have a job interview?

CHRISTOPHER IACONO: No job interview. I didn't even hand in a resume or talk to them before I landed on the island for the first time.

NICOLE JUDGE: Sounds unbelievable but…

CHRISTOPHER IACONO: We answered a Facebook post by Salvation Army on a Macquarie, yeah…

NICOLE JUDGE: Macquarie University website.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Nicole Judge and Christopher Iacono were both employed as support workers. Their only previous work experience was as a sales assistant, and in a fast food restaurant.

NICOLE JUDGE: I called the phone number and I rang and they asked me, "When could I go, and did I know anyone that could come along?", and I had two friends from school, Simon Taylor who submitted something as well, but, called them, and then I think it was two days later?

CHRISTOPHER IACONO: Three days.

NICOLE JUDGE: Two or three days later we were in Nauru.

I honestly thought that, going into this, that it would be some kind of fun experience, and I hate to say that, because it sounds so naïve, but that is what I thought. I wasn't expecting the heat, the hours, the change in shifts - nothing like that.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Both former workers told the Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young that their duties went beyond general support.

CHRISTOPHER IACONO: In Australia you have to have a degree to talk to people, to counsel, which was pretty much what we were doing on a daily basis in a camp with 1,000 men with massive problems like that.

SARAH HANSON-YOUNG: Did you have people tell you they would prefer to die?

NICOLE JUDGE: Every day.

SARAH HANSON-YOUNG: Every day.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Neither was on the island during the riots in February in which Reza Berati suffered fatal head injuries.

But Ms Judge described to the Senators the desperation she saw in detainees and her own difficult working conditions. She told Labor Senator Lisa Singh that sexual harassment by expatriate and PNG staff was part of the work environment for female employees.

LISA SINGH: Was there anywhere you could take that sexual harassment complaint?

NICOLE JUDGE: Well, I took it to my management at some of the peak times when I started to feel really overwhelmed and scared, and they were, one of the managers said to me, "Well, what do you expect? This kind of stuff happens at bars all the time." So, I just had to go with it, and I still wanted to work there, and it was something that I just had to put up with.

NAOMI WOODLEY: She says they were warned by Salvos management not to talk to anyone about what they saw.

NICOLE JUDGE: I was told that I couldn't do that and I would be penalised, or I would lose my job, or even I've been threatened with criminal action to tell me that I could go to jail for speaking about my experiences.

NAOMI WOODLEY: No one from the Salvation Army was available for interview to respond to those allegations. PM was directed to this evidence given by the CEO of the Salvation Army's Humanitarian Mission Services, Sharon Callister, to the inquiry yesterday.

SHARON CALLISTER: We specifically called for any witnesses who could provide critical information to facilitate the investigation of these allegations to come forward.

In our submission we indicated that without such information we had no means of investigating or responding to some of these incredibly serious and so far untested allegations.

No information has been received by the Salvation Army from any of those former employees or in fact from anyone since we provided our written submission to this Senate inquiry.

NAOMI WOODLEY: She also gave this evidence about staff preparation and training.

SHARON CALLISTER: There were specific qualifications that were required, for instance, if you were a teacher, you needed to have teaching qualifications; for case management, social worker or related qualifications.

We did have a number of other roles which were general support roles, and for those roles, but their very nature being general and support, the kind of tasks that the staff would perform included rosters for telephone access, computer access, running the canteens, and there were no specific requirements that were needed for their roles.

NAOMI WOODLEY: The Senate inquiry will continue tomorrow.

MARK COLVIN: Naomi Woodley.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
BB's response to soldiers holds as true for the Salvos as the regularly army

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nibbles141 posted:

http://www.independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/we-really-must-talk-about-the-howard-and-costello-economic-disaster,5686

Howard left us with far, far less money then should have been in the bank.

Even if that wasn't there though, we avoided the GFC in large part to all our regulations. Our banks were prevented from exposing themselves to the same kinds of investments as banks in other countries were free to do so we didn't have to bail out our institutions too much.

The stimulus basically kept us out of recession and while as it is now it doesn't seem to matter, dipping into a recession can have large impacts as banks tighten up credit and people spend less so it compounds the problem.
This is a great answer specifically but a picture is worth a thousand words (etc)

It doesn't specifically address the Howard legacy so much as show that even a dysfunctional ALP did better than the rest of the world.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SMH has a different, and all the more disturbing, take on this story.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/liberal-senator-ian-macdonald-confronts-former-manus--worker-20140612-3a06n.html

quote:

Liberal Senator Ian Macdonald confronts former Manus worker

Date
June 12, 2014 - 6:13PM

17 reading now

Sarah Whyte
Immigration correspondent

View more articles from Sarah Whyte

Follow Sarah on Twitter Follow Sarah on Google+ Email Sarah

The third day of the inquiry into Manus Island violence took a dramatic turn as a former young Salvation Army worker came face-to-face with Queensland Liberal Senator Ian Macdonald.

Senator Macdonald took on 24-year-old Nicole Judge, who was hired by the Salvation Army and promptly flown overseas within two days of applying for a job via a Facebook advertisement.

In her submission to the inquiry, Ms Judge described a "rape dungeon" on the island, and how she was sexually harassed many times by PNG locals and expat guards.

Despite Ms Judge's serious allegations, she was faced with a peculiar line of questioning by Senator Macdonald.

"Have you ever met a politician before?" he asked.

"No, but we watch you on TV," Ms Judge replied.

"OK, well you can't have much of a life if you do that," he said with a chuckle, before continuing: "You would probably would be pleased that no more asylum seekers are coming to Australia since the boats have stopped, you know that one line slogan you mentioned, so there will be no more new transferees coming to Manus. You'd be happy about that wouldn't you?," he said.

"Well, I wouldn't say I was happy that we're turning boats back, but I am happy no more asylum seekers are going to Manus and Nauru, but I wouldn't go as far to say I was happy that asylum seekers aren't coming," she replied.

"Yeah, well, we won't have a debate," Senator Macdonald said.

"You are aware there are literally millions of people waiting refugee camps. You are aware of that aren't you?" he then asked.

"Personally, my opinion is they don't come illegally," she said.

"You're just dehumanising them even more. We shouldn't be sending them to these places, they killed a man," she said.

"There were 300 or 400 people who were killed at sea, did you raise your voice and protest against about that?"

"I feel like the questions you're asking aren't even relevant to the investigation," she said.

Ms Judge then told the hearing that when she tried to make a complaint about the sexual harassment, a Salvation Army worker said: "What do you expect, that happens in bars all the time."

Despite having no experience in counselling or trauma, Ms Judge's role was as a "case worker".

"I was an untrained university student trying to comfort asylum seekers who were grown men. Every day people said they would rather die."

Mr Cornall, who was paid $82,000 for three months to author the independent report, also revealed his first discussion with Mr Morrison was in May.

He was subsequently told by the government to work "very closely with PNG ministers," he said.

Despite this, PNG's deputy police commissioner, Simon Kauba, issued a statement in May insisting police on Manus Island played no part in the violence - directly contradicting the findings of Ms Cornall's report.

The inquiry continues.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

This is a great answer specifically but a picture is worth a thousand words (etc)

It doesn't specifically address the Howard legacy so much as show that even a dysfunctional ALP did better than the rest of the world.

Do you think if Australian went into recession post GFC, we'd be where we are today or better/worse? I mean, we did very well out of it and still have ended up with a bunch of tory austerity popping jerks.

A bit of navel gazing, yes.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Let's be clear about something, Swans fiscal stimulus policy didn't save us a lone - Chinese government fiscal stimulus also played a large role in keeping us out of the worst of it.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

"Isn't it GREAT! Because we brutalise them through tactics we learnt from the golden age of piracy, now we don't have to brutalise them through tactics we learnt from repressive dictatorships!"

What's loving next, they should be grateful we give them surplus sunrasia's so they aren't dying of dysentery?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Do you think if Australian went into recession post GFC, we'd be where we are today or better/worse? I mean, we did very well out of it and still have ended up with a bunch of tory austerity popping jerks.

A bit of navel gazing, yes.
What Ler says is also important in the broader scheme of the reality of our escape from the GFC but:

As I have previously posted, I am of the opinion that the mood that enveloped the rest of the world, as a result of the GFC affecting others badly, has been infused into the Australian political narrative. This is why, despite all the evidence that it isn't true, we are having a budget emergency and must slash root and branch to appease the angry gods of fiscus. You'd laugh except for all the weeping. It is why we get so much US C/P propaganda. We dodged the bullet but are doing our very best to play dead. More pictures?

Imagine what that is doing to revenue forecasts going forward? It's becoming a self fulfilling prophesy. We must slash so we can afford to slash more! :black101:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Milky Moor posted:

Probably much the same reason I was studying journalism from 2010-2012: you probably aren't making that initial choice based on the strongest factual foundations.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Bomb-Bunny posted:

"Isn't it GREAT! Because we brutalise them through tactics we learnt from the golden age of piracy, now we don't have to brutalise them through tactics we learnt from repressive dictatorships!"

What's loving next, they should be grateful we give them surplus sunrasia's so they aren't dying of dysentery?

Look he's probably doing what he thinks is best. It is typical leftist hysterics to paint him as some sort of moustache twirling villain when all he is doing is lauding the torture he supports over someone who had to deal with the consequences of it face to face without training while being intimidated against reporting it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Probably much the same reason I was studying journalism from 2010-2012: you probably aren't making that initial choice based on the strongest factual foundations.

Go into retail, people will always buy things!

*glances at consumer confidence trends*

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Ler posted:

Let's be clear about something, Swans fiscal stimulus policy didn't save us a lone - Chinese government fiscal stimulus also played a large role in keeping us out of the worst of it.

mmmm, not as much as it is given credit for. In relation to mining far less of that money ends up in the economy then you think. It's all tied up in very few hands and many of them are international companies.

Cartoon posted:

Imagine what that is doing to revenue forecasts going forward? It's becoming a self fulfilling prophesy. We must slash so we can afford to slash more! :black101:

Yeah, much of the first world economies now are based around consumption so if people stop spending, it really grinds things up. Conditions could relatively be the same but if we did have a recession banks tighten up, people spend less, interests rates rise and it all starts building upon itself. You could just have a dip of recession (two periods of negative growth) and then back to normal, but probably not.

Look at the US just before it all collapsed and how many people were saying nothing to worry about, just keep going. It's musical chairs and as long as the music keeps playing everyone's winning.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cleretic posted:

I'm doing law in the misguided notion I'll end up in legal aid. lol

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Vahtooch posted:

So I couldn't really find a decent answer for this, but a few pages ago the GFC came up with the standard Australian's response to why we survived it being "Howard left us a surplus" to which someone said was wrong. I get the whole thing with Labor's stimulus package and how good all that was, but what can I use in an argument against someone for saying Howard didn't really help?

3 major points:

a) The Howard government saw record terms of trade, which are not created by any government intervention.

b) The Howard government used both the corporate tax revenues from the record ToT and the proceeds from the mining boom to finance major tax cuts, in particular a tax cut on upper income earners and a cut to the capital gains tax rate on property.

c) The Howard government sold 90 billion dollars worth of assets, which by this point would have generated another 90 bn worth of revenue.

The cumulative surplus the Howard government produced was roughly 30 billion overall. That's not what was left after paying off debt, mind you, that was simply the total of what was left over each year. There wasn't any "money in the bank," not least of all because that's a stupid phrase to use about government finances. We still had a significant sovereign debt (roughly 5% of GDP). So, essentially, in the midst of economic circumstances unheard of by this country and over ninety billion dollars in sold assets, Howard managed to squeeze out about thirty billion in total savings because he pissed the rest away on upper-class welfare.

When Labor got in, the ToT were cooling, the tax cuts were still in place, the assets were no longer generating revenue, and then there was that whole GFC thing. Howard set Labor up to fail. Those tax cuts alone would have covered the entirety of Labor's 2010-2013 deficits.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Blue Rupie posted:

Message received from the USYD e-mail

Edit: With links attached.

'Those with the ability to pay should not be subsidised by those who cannot'

:crossarms:

Is he trying to say we should increase fees (and therefore the HECS loans initially covered by the government) because it will decrease the burden of tertiary education upon the taxpayer? I don't follow.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ColtMcAsskick posted:

'Those with the ability to pay should not be subsidised by those who cannot'

:crossarms:

Is he trying to say we should increase fees (and therefore the HECS loans initially covered by the government) because it will decrease the burden of tertiary education upon the taxpayer? I don't follow.

I believe he is suggesting that we would give so much more charity(scholarships) if the government would get off our backs with taxes(fee ceilings)

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

That's how I read it. If fees are increased then rich people will pay for their kids and the poors can get the government assistance (and debt). Don't worry though, with all this cash we'll probably have more scholarships.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also the fact that the government doesn't think that enormous costs in the future would influence anyone's decision to study today is pretty indicative of the entirety of liberal party economic policy.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Think of all the savings to the taxpayer if literally no-one goes to university unless they front the cost. What progress!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty dumb.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Nibbles141 posted:

Also this.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

ewe2 posted:

I'd like an evaluation cy a lurker on the learning oulcomes from thie difcuzzinn cith a proll, ksasade ki sme arse fart iasolvet pee carcas woo Gerpelt Xmeekoltion Dickcs Yectse.

Ack fuk

* poo poo consciousness

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cartoon posted:

What Ler says is also important in the broader scheme of the reality of our escape from the GFC but:

As I have previously posted, I am of the opinion that the mood that enveloped the rest of the world, as a result of the GFC affecting others badly, has been infused into the Australian political narrative. This is why, despite all the evidence that it isn't true, we are having a budget emergency and must slash root and branch to appease the angry gods of fiscus. You'd laugh except for all the weeping. It is why we get so much US C/P propaganda. We dodged the bullet but are doing our very best to play dead. More pictures?

Is that consumer confidence? The graph isn't labelled.

edit: Also sorry to AdelGoons for missing the meet tonight, dentists appointment.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 12, 2014

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Quantum Mechanic posted:

c) The Howard government sold 90 billion dollars worth of assets, which by this point would have generated another 90 bn worth of revenue.

Link? Last time I read something approaching a rigorous analysis, total asset sales from the Howard govt were a smidge under 72 billion, and net govt debt had decreased by 56 billion from 1996-2007.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

thatbastardken posted:

I'm pretty dumb.

:smith::hf::smith:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

:stonk:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Only one person died as a direct result of us, that's surely better than 400 dying as an indirect result of us? Or are you some kind of racist?

:smug:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When reading that I kept half-expecting to come across a line like:

...Senator Macdonald withdrew his erect member from his pants, and without ever breaking eye contact started slowly stroking...

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Nibbles141 posted:

Yeah, in my first year of law (2010), I did a course called "Law and Society" which was the most wishy-washy subject I've ever done, and I've done a class with "Dramaturgy" in the title. Our tutor asked us all why we were studying law and 3/4 of the class answered that they want to work for the UN or Legal Aid. The rest of the class was like "I got a good OP and didn't want to do med" or "my parents wanted me to". I was like "...I'm interested in Intellectual Property law" and everyone gave me the weirdest looks.

By fourth year I knew enough newly-graduated students to have realised that I wouldn't make it a year in the legal industry. I'm a sixth year now so at this point I refuse to give up, and am determined to finish and basically end up with what has become the new general degree.

At least I'll be qualified to be a public servant! :shrug:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Senor Tron posted:

When reading that I kept half-expecting to come across a line like:

...Senator Macdonald withdrew his erect member from his pants, and without ever breaking eye contact started slowly stroking...

You're thinking of Morrison.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Look he's probably doing what he thinks is best. It is typical leftist hysterics to paint him as some sort of moustache twirling villain when all he is doing is lauding the torture he supports over someone who had to deal with the consequences of it face to face without training while being intimidated against reporting it.

gently caress, that comment really got under your skin, didn't it? I wasn't saying it to in any way excuse the horrible poo poo that the Libs are doing. It's simply that by reducing the things that drive them to do pursue these policies down to "because they're evil fucks!" makes you less able to really understand what drives them and makes you less able to convince them (or more importantly their supporters) to change their mind. Know thy enemy and all that. If you disagree, can you explain how it differs from Americans who believe that al qaeda hates them for their freedom?

For the record, one more time, I'm a greens supporter and have been for almost a decade. I don't know why I always feel the need to state that every time I say something that goes against the grain of this thread.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Reminder that we are better suited for when Bill Shorten is the invisible man because when he does open his mouth things like this come out.

quote:

Decision to unwind offshore processing made Australia's waters among most dangerous: Shorten

Posted 3 hours 42 minutes ago

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten says the former Labor government's decision to unwind offshore processing made the waters between Australia and Indonesia some of the most dangerous in the world.

Mr Shorten says Labor will not go back to its 2008 policy, but will continue to fight for more humanitarian approaches to the processing and treatment of asylum seekers who have arrived by boat.

He says Labor's decision to dismantle the so-called Pacific Solution was a mistake that he would not be repeating.

"I can't pretend to you today that Labor's automatically going to go back to our 2008 policy because we're not," he said.

"The truth of the matter is that the stretch of water between Indonesia and Australia, once we changed our policies in 2008, became amongst some of the most dangerous waters in the world."

Mr Shorten said regional resettlement is the "best way to handle people who try to come to Australia."

"With the reports we're seeing about Manus Island [regarding] the treatment of people who are being processed there, that is a most serious matter," he said.

"Labor hasn't taken a backward step in terms of wanting to get to the bottom of what happened and in terms of the way these programs should be administered.

"I think there's an underlying issue beyond that and it's this: is regional resettlement the best way to handle people who try to come to Australia and Labor's view is that we believe that it is."

Things being bile.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Captain Pissweak posted:

You're thinking of Morrison.

Sorry.

...Senator Macdonald withdrew the erect member from Scott Morrisons pants, and without ever breaking eye contact starting softly stroking...

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

I believe he is suggesting that we would give so much more charity(scholarships) if the government would get off our backs with taxes(fee ceilings)

Yeah and he's helpfully declined to point out that the fee ceiling repeal is policy while the scholarship increases is his good idea in an editorial piece. Somehow I get the feeling that his support for the former isn't contingent on the latter.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lid posted:

Reminder that we are better suited for when Bill Shorten is the invisible man because when he does open his mouth things like this come out.

Things being bile.

God Labor are loving garbage.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

Sorry.

...Senator Macdonald withdrew the erect member from Scott Morrisons pants, and without ever breaking eye contact starting softly stroking...

Noice.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Ler posted:

I'd argue that the RBA had more to do with it than the stimulus, the Chinese or Gina. People whinge about the whole 'government bailout' that they assume banks got (they didnt, essentially banks just paid a small premium to 'borrow' Australia's credit rating - which definitely helped), but they also bought heavily in the MBS/RMBS markets, massively expanded the exchange settlement facility (adding short term TDs rather than just overnight) and dropped the bar on collateral classes, which meant that we never came close to having the kind of liquidity issues that hit the US, Europe and the UK.

Everything else flowed from that.

Of course, it's ridiculous to expect the average punter to understand the implications of banks being able to self securitise their loans and then repo them... but Swan also did an absolutely shithouse job of selling it.

And so, now TEH NARRATIVE is all about pink batts, gold plated school halls and HOWARDS SURPLUS.

*edit* ooh, charts

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Tirade posted:

gently caress, that comment really got under your skin, didn't it? I wasn't saying it to in any way excuse the horrible poo poo that the Libs are doing. It's simply that by reducing the things that drive them to do pursue these policies down to "because they're evil fucks!" makes you less able to really understand what drives them and makes you less able to convince them (or more importantly their supporters) to change their mind. Know thy enemy and all that. If you disagree, can you explain how it differs from Americans who believe that al qaeda hates them for their freedom?

For the record, one more time, I'm a greens supporter and have been for almost a decade. I don't know why I always feel the need to state that every time I say something that goes against the grain of this thread.

Just because they have a rationale that they can justify to themselves doesn't make that rationale real. We're talking about people who believe in a just world where wealth is a reward for moral goodness (see: 'unsuccessful' young should earn-or-learn) yet, somehow, that same doctrine doesn't apply to those coming here by boat, using their own ingenuity and resources to seek a new life. The same level of cognitive dissonance that says that white collar crime that bankrupts thousands and devastates lives earns you two to five, whilst murder lands you the same back again. The same cognitive dissonance that can say corporations are like extremely wealthy people when donating to political parties, but are just a humble man bargaining on equal terms with the worker across the table.

They can justify each and every one of those arguments, hold them as equally sacrosanct to their cause, and fight for them. But each and every one achieves an indisputably despicable end that gives to the great from the hand of the small.

• Locked thread