Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Christ, that was such an important event that I'd forgotten all about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kind of hilarious that ad uses a coalition being unable to live up to campaign promises as a downside for AV, given what actually happened.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Whorelord posted:

ukmt is a cancer

man doesn't totally support the enshringing of people's republic of great britian

"loving TORY SCUM ACAB gently caress WHY AM I SO POOR"

lovely person made you laugh a few years back. Better forgive him for being a lovely person.

I suppose, in your eyes, if Farrage gave us a few chuckles back in the 80's he'd be good for PM right? :rolleyes:

Lets have Borris the legend, Mayor of London, rule britain from an iron throne because he was funny those couple of times on HIGNFY.

Clarkson? He's a lads lad ain't he, look at him, being a bit of a cheeky fucker. He's cracking funny on TV isn't he? He can be the Foreign secretary because he knows how to have a bit of banter about those foreigns doesn't he.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 9, 2014

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So, TV, eh?

I'm really disappointed with this season of In The Flesh. It feels like it's more in love with its own mythology than the human drama. Jem's PTSD, the Colum-zom-bine, Amy's denial of her neurodegeneration, it was smashing stuff. Then they went overboard with the zombie-cults and MAGIC AMY. And somewhere between three and four separate plots got resolved when the baying mob suddenly realised "steady on, maybe we've gone a bit far".

The Dad got completely ruined as a character this year. I get that he's supposed to be tan unthinking-daily-mail-little-bit-racist kind of guy, but he's comically oblivious of the world around him. His realisation of what he was actually arguing for was neat, but too little and too late. And not a patch on his gut-wrenching confession from last season.

They had something very special for a while, but now they've just cocked it.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
They did exactly the same thing with Being Human, the first series was a drama about people who happened to be supernatural. Then it escalated quickly into fantasy action adventure stuff where like you say they had to keep building on the mythology to generate bigger baddies to encounter.
I did still really like this season of In The Flesh, and if they make more I'm going to give it a go but I suspect the magic may have died somewhere just before the end of series two.

moselle
Nov 18, 2012

Kin posted:

lovely person made you laugh a few years back. Better forgive him for being a lovely person.

I suppose, in your eyes, if Farrage gave us a few chuckles back in the 80's he'd be good for PM right? :rolleyes:

Lets have Borris the legend, Mayor of London, rule britain from an iron throne because he was funny those couple of times on HIGNFY.

Clarkson? He's a lads lad ain't he, look at him, being a bit of a cheeky fucker. He's cracking funny on TV isn't he? He can be the Foreign secretary because he knows how to have a bit of banter about those foreigns doesn't he.

Rik Mayall doesn't compare like that and you bloody know it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Noone here is suggesting he be elected to a position of authority because he's funny, they are comiserating the fact that he's dead.

He was involved in good comedy and he once supported a misinformed canvassing campaign. Lets sweep this damning controversy under the rug and forgo the modern dead-celebrity-moral-re-evaluation game that I'm sure plenty of others are also sick of these days.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Did anyone see that doc about British whaling last night? loving amazing, from the in person interviews of actual whalers (we only stopped doing it at an industrial scale in the 60s) to the presenter exploring the ghost-town whaling stations on South Georgia. Shitloads of grizzly archive footage too, definitely not for the faint hearted. I'm guessing the second part is gonna be about the decline of the industry and the moratorium

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I almost can't believe anyone ever gave that much of a gently caress about the AVR in either direction.

Also gently caress you all if Rik Mayall had never done the New Statesman young me would never have realised why my parents called the Tories cunts.

EDIT:If you type Rik Mayall into Google one of the images is a picture of Gregg Davies, that's pretty funny.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh poo poo, if Man Down gets a 2nd series it is going to be so sad without him loving about :(.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I almost can't believe anyone ever gave that much of a gently caress about the AVR in either direction.

EDIT:If you type Rik Mayall into Google one of the images is a picture of Gregg Davies, that's pretty funny.
Gregg Davies wrote a lovely obit pn Facebook about Rik, who played his dad in that c4 comedy so average I can't remember what it's called. So it's probably that.

And the Alt vote was the best chance of getting one of the smaller parties in power, so greens, lib dems, UKIP and monster raving loonies were all pretty passionate about it.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Gregg Davies wrote a lovely obit pn Facebook about Rik, who played his dad in that c4 comedy so average I can't remember what it's called. So it's probably that.

And the Alt vote was the best chance of getting one of the smaller parties in power, so greens, lib dems, UKIP and monster raving loonies were all pretty passionate about it.

It was also a fantastically terrible campaign. Even though I disagreed with them, the No campaign was far more coherent. All I saw from the Yes campaign was a bunch of actors and famous people telling me what to vote for. Besides, the Lib-Dems hosed up negotiating for AV as STV would have been far better.

I agree with the consensus on In the Flesh, especially as the family turning against Kieran seemed really contrived. It was quite good drama so I'll definitely be watching any future episodes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was a hosed up campaign because it was always designed to be. They started off wanting a vote on STV or Proportional Representation, but after coalition agreement haggling compromised on a vote on AV. The people who haggled them back then used the fact that AV isn't PR or STV - and that the "yes" proponents had previously been opposed to it in favour of the others - as a key part of the "No" campaign.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I still think that the anrti-AV ads were the worst political adverts I have ever seen:

Partially because they were laughably manipulative, partly because they were just so loving stupid. The yes campaign should have put up alternates: "he needs bulletproof vests, not an infant cardiac unit!"

Edit: images not coming up on my device - here are the links:

http://imgur.com/LLHYiXc
http://imgur.com/l7hBOBG

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 11, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I must've blocked those out of my mind. Their argument was legitimately "We've mismanaged finances to the point where we're broke, please keep the system that got us into power!"?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The no campaign was a brightly coloured flyer with fear mongering slogans all over it.

The yes campaign was a politely worded letter from Stephen Fry inside an envelope with little outward sign of its contents.

Apparently people can't be arsed to open envelopes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The no campaign was a brightly coloured flyer with fear mongering slogans all over it.

The yes campaign was a politely worded letter from Stephen Fry inside an envelope with little outward sign of its contents.

Apparently people can't be arsed to open envelopes.

People are shortsighted idiots who habitually vote against their own best interest who actually think it's too hard to pick up to three candidates and put them in preference order. I mean, if you only have two parents to mindlessly vote the same way as, how do you pick the third? If nothing else, they got the government they loving deserve. Canada looks nice anyway.

Anyway, here's Rik Mayall reading George's Marvelous Medicine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvg_y-jgpI

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
iplayer is doing user surveys at the moment.

There are several text boxes where you can tell them exactly what you think of the new layout.

get to it goons.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyway, here's Rik Mayall reading George's Marvelous Medicine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvg_y-jgpI

That reminded me he voiced Hogs of War, now I'm doubly sad he died :(

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Fatkraken posted:

iplayer is doing user surveys at the moment.

There are several text boxes where you can tell them exactly what you think of the new layout.

get to it goons.

Awesome, thanks. Myself and a few friends were eager to tell them we (with coding/backend/admin experience) much prefer this new A-Z index listing method than the old one. I appreciate the heads up on the boxes. :)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh poo poo, if Man Down gets a 2nd series it is going to be so sad without him loving about :(.

He was amazing in that. :(

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Did anyone watch Going to the Dogs on channel four?

It's about dog-fighting, mostly. It's got some pretty harrowing footage, but it's a really interesting film. It's remarkably balanced, and asks serious questions not just about the sport of dog-fighting but about society.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To me, the funniest thing about Cats does Countdown is the unimpressed mein of the countdown regulars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kind of impressive when the Dictionary Corner comic gets Suzie in on a joke, rather than trying to make her cringe. Peter Serafinowicz did a great job of that when he was on. And so many 9 letter words!

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Fatkraken posted:

Did anyone see that doc about British whaling last night? loving amazing, from the in person interviews of actual whalers (we only stopped doing it at an industrial scale in the 60s) to the presenter exploring the ghost-town whaling stations on South Georgia. Shitloads of grizzly archive footage too, definitely not for the faint hearted. I'm guessing the second part is gonna be about the decline of the industry and the moratorium

I just finished watching this and I feel a bit ill...fascinating but depressing stuff.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

To me, the funniest thing about Cats does Countdown is the unimpressed mein of the countdown regulars.

Some of the things Jimmy Carr gets up to are pretty great as well. Still can't decide if the basket of kittens or misbehaving bird was the best.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

McDragon posted:

Some of the things Jimmy Carr gets up to are pretty great as well. Still can't decide if the basket of kittens or misbehaving bird was the best.

I liked the kittens one the best, as Jimmy was clearly genuinely unprepared for just how out of control the situation could -and did- get.

I don't like the ones where he involves Rachel Riley, as it becomes immediately clear the poor lass cannot walk on the slidey, shiny central portion of the studio floor in her high heels. She's going to break her ankle on it one of these days, my heart's in my mouth watching her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Irisi posted:

I liked the kittens one the best, as Jimmy was clearly genuinely unprepared for just how out of control the situation could -and did- get.

I don't like the ones where he involves Rachel Riley, as it becomes immediately clear the poor lass cannot walk on the slidey, shiny central portion of the studio floor in her high heels. She's going to break her ankle on it one of these days, my heart's in my mouth watching her.

There was the one great moment where she broke a heel or light on that section and ran away like a scared little girl when Jimmy called her out.

:smug:"Did you just break Countdown?!"
:ohdear: "...no"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

lionlegs posted:

I just finished watching this and I feel a bit ill...fascinating but depressing stuff.

It was definitely grim but I found it weirdly uplifting, because that sort of industrial scale slaughter just doesn't happen any more. Of course there's still whaling, which is depressing, but it's nowhere near the unregulated free-for-all it was 50 or 100 years ago, and it's almost entirely of smaller, faster breeding species like minke, which sucks for the individual whales but is unlikely to pose a major threat to populations as a whole. Species like hump backs are back to "least concern" status from "endangered" as recently as 1988 and are close 60% of pre-whaling levels, which for such a long lived slow-breeding species is incredible.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The Horizon episode on the missing Malaysian flight was not very good. It didn't offer anything new and basically seemed like a recap of events and an explanation of the technology/technologies used in tracking flights.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Thanks, I won't bother then. It looked interesting too. Was hoping for more in-depth stuff about Inmarsat's work.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There was a concerted effort to dumb down Horizon a good 10 or 15 years ago, and since then the only ones have been worth watching were actually made by PBS.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kraxis posted:

They did exactly the same thing with Being Human, the first series was a drama about people who happened to be supernatural. Then it escalated quickly into fantasy action adventure stuff where like you say they had to keep building on the mythology to generate bigger baddies to encounter.
I did still really like this season of In The Flesh, and if they make more I'm going to give it a go but I suspect the magic may have died somewhere just before the end of series two.

Yeah it does suffer from Romeroism. What should be about human drama and how exceptional circumstances break down everything it means to be human quickly turns into WTF levels of absurdity.

It's kind of a crying shame because it seems that most of the original premises and ideas of these kind of things is usually along the lines of 'what would really reveal what terrible and horrible things people really are' into 'welp, people really don't want to think about this - let's just roll with the superfluous stuff'

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I just saw an advert for An Honourable Woman, a BBC thing starring Maggie Gyllenhaal. Marveling at the budget that demonstrated I googled it expecting to see a HBO co-production but instead it's another thing by Hugo Blix, he of The Shadow Line. SO another 7 part spy thriller written/directed by Hugo Blix forthcoming on July 31st. I'm looking forward to it, no matter how silly his last one got.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 19, 2014

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Yeah it does suffer from Romeroism. What should be about human drama and how exceptional circumstances break down everything it means to be human quickly turns into WTF levels of absurdity.

It's kind of a crying shame because it seems that most of the original premises and ideas of these kind of things is usually along the lines of 'what would really reveal what terrible and horrible things people really are' into 'welp, people really don't want to think about this - let's just roll with the superfluous stuff'

They had so many good ideas though, especially with the cults springing up. The SJW in me loved the conversations about pds vs rotter vs undead. It looked like they were going somewhere great with Simon springing the rabids and treating them with his homebrew of sheeps brains, then they suddenly dropped it.

Jem's PTSD was nicely done I thought.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I also liked some of the clear comparisons between the HVF and paramilitaries in Norn Iron, and the anti-PDS political party that definitely wasn't UKIP.
Yeah, fingers crossed the writers will take a long hard look at themselves and realise that they were starting to gently caress up what really was a very good piece of television and stop loving it up.

The sheep's brain fuelled zombie rave in a barn was a stroke of genius.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Anyone got a MediaHint alternative for Firefox for us poor bastards away from home? MediaHint has both stopped working and is asking for money, not a great combination.

(Or Chrome, I suppose. I'm not that attached to Firefox.)

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I use Hola for American netflix, (in chrome), you can pretty much select any country with that one

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, Hola works perfectly.

If you're willing to pay, TunnelBear is great. It's not a browser plugin, so you can use any programmes you want with it. There's a free version that allows you 500mb or something, but It's only $5 per month for unlimited and when you pay for it you get the mobile version too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

stevey666 posted:

I use Hola for American netflix, (in chrome), you can pretty much select any country with that one

Yep, that seems to work. I only really want it for iPlayer and 4OD and they're going now. Thanks guys.