Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Arione posted:

I'm not saying its bad by any means, I'm saying its not worth $300 ($400 with shipping and import) as opposed to $180 for the #3
I read that a bit wrong then. How is it by the way? Anything else than the previous ones in the series you'd compare it to?

Thx courier man. You are an important part in the transnational chain to keep me boozed.

I'll post notes later but the Balvenie is very nice, sure to woo any friend of the regular 15 single barrel, and the Ar4, despite my initial fears, is an excellent Ardbeg. Water is a must but this is just absolutely wonderful and any friend of Uigeadail would probably feel at home with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Deleuzionist posted:

Thx courier man. You are an important part in the transnational chain to keep me boozed.

Lucky you to find that! They didn't have any Ar vintages at the Whiskey Exchange when I was over in London last month, but I'm excited to try to Br5 I brought home.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

They just released that Ar about a week ago. I was in luck that the item was published on the website a day or so before the mass email about it was sent out and I happened to search for Ardbeg using the distillery list.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 10, 2014

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I want to buy my sister a bottle of whisky as a graduation present. Problem is, I'm all about the peat. What's a good scotch that's on the sweeter side? Can a good non-Islay single malt even be had for around 50 bucks?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Balvenie Doublewood would be an excellent choice. Just a hint of smoke, a bit fruity. Everyone I know that tried it loved it.

Edit: It also tend to be just right price wise, maybe a bit cheaper than 50 if you shop around a bit.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 12, 2014

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Glendronach - Consistently high quality sherry bombs from Speyside. The 12yr comes in around $50 here though elsewhere in the US it could be more.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 12, 2014

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've never seen a bottle from Elements of Islay here in the states, is it available here on the west coast anywhere? I travel around California, Portland, and Seattle fairly frequently so would theoretically be able to stop in wherever.

Also, is the stuff generally worth seeking out? I don't know a ton about it but I see enough of their stuff posted here to make me interested.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

door Door door posted:

I want to buy my sister a bottle of whisky as a graduation present. Problem is, I'm all about the peat. What's a good scotch that's on the sweeter side? Can a good non-Islay single malt even be had for around 50 bucks?

Maybe Balvenie 12 Single Barrel, or Glenfarclas 15? Of the two the Glenfarclas is sweeter and more savoury while the Balvenie is a lighter fruity one with strong buttery/micropopcorn pack tones. The Balvenie is best enjoyed with a teaspoon or two of water, and I think compared to it and the other single barrels the doublewood and rum cask releases are somewhat bland.

Inspector 34 posted:

I've never seen a bottle from Elements of Islay here in the states, is it available here on the west coast anywhere? I travel around California, Portland, and Seattle fairly frequently so would theoretically be able to stop in wherever.

Also, is the stuff generally worth seeking out? I don't know a ton about it but I see enough of their stuff posted here to make me interested.
The Elements series is bottled and released by The Whisky Exchange so its availability outside their own shop (apart from the few exclusive releases they've bottled for example for the Viking Line cruise lines) is a total question mark to me. The Elements series is mostly about what it says on the tin: you get parts of the aromas that are familiar from the distilleries' own bottlings but Elements tend to be stripped down on account of often being young and being from either single casks or small vattings, and thus containing only a slice of the flavour profile the distillery's own malt does. I've enjoyed some of the bottles a lot (Bn5, Cl3, Lg2, Ar4) and some others a bit less on account of them being either too minimal or just not ready for prime time (Cl4, Br3), and in a nutshell would say the series is best enjoyed by those already acquainted with current official Islay releases.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

door Door door posted:

Any of the ones that other posters have mentioned are excellent choices, but my pick would be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's port-finished, and therefore sweet and fruity in all the right ways.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Any of the ones that other posters have mentioned are excellent choices, but my pick would be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's port-finished, and therefore sweet and fruity in all the right ways.

I've been drinking this all week, and I agree.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Devil Wears Wings posted:

but my pick would be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

This was the last bottle of Scotch I bought last week and is it is already gone. It is good stuff.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've heard nothing but great things about the QR elsewhere, so let's hope I can find a bottle. Plus I've been wanting to try it for a while anyways.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask 47,8%

So, an oloroso matured single cask Balvenie for a brand new release? Sounds like a good idea. Yo Laphroaig, take a look at the mess that is Select and then point your eyes here. This is how it's done. Red wine is the first thing that comes to mind after opening the bottle and sniffing the neck, then some acidic, vinegarish notes and lots of soaked middle aged oak that makes me think refill or particularly thoroughly scrubbed first fill. After letting the dram sit for a bit with a spoonful of water in it I'm surprised to find the nose actually tends more towards white wine now. I'm not a fan of white wine so I can't remember which grape it reminds me of (not the one with cat pee tones) but the note is quite like some not too sweet, not too dry champagne. The juiciness that hit me from smelling the open bottle is gone now, replaced by that dry, slightly sour smell of grapes. Bit of cloves here, no cinnamon or vanilla nor sugary sweetness. No raisins or dates or sultanas, making this one pretty different from the savoury and very sweet sherriness of A'Bunadh or Glenfarclas. Earthiness - soil and earthworms. The taste is very even, not alcoholic in the least. Apple jam, tangerines, blackcurrant juice. Surprisingly sweet despite the nose telling a bit different story. Some tar candy and candy liquorice there too, but very little. A well developed, slightly nutty finish that lasts a long time. I'm already impressed and that was only the neck of the bottle. Nose carries some echo of the 12's micropopcorn packet. The taste has a stale component in it but in an unexpected twist I can't really say whether that's good or bad. It wafts between wet old wood and tar, the tar register being the side I like. Dill. Cigarette ash. Sacher. Fresh peas. A bit of sourdough. Quite a surprising dram, but a good one. After a few glasses I think this is best enjoyed neat.

Ardbeg Elements of Islay Ar4 58,1%

I've missed the boat on all the previous Ar releases which is not surprising considering they came few and far between, but for missing Ar3 I can only blame myself and my inability to decide whether to purchase it until it was sold out, which happened pretty fast. The color in this one is surprisingly dark, almost the same as in the Balvenie 15 SBSC. While pouring the first dram I already got a noseful of sweaty, burning wood. I think I'm going to like this one. The nose is violent. It's Corryvreckanlike but not quite as savoury. The high ABV makes nosing very difficult before adding any water, but it's certainly Ardbeg in the glass, of that there is no doubt. Woodsmoke, salmiak candy, pine and sauna wood. The spice packet from Yum Yum noodles. Some boot rubber. With a lot of water some haribo cola candy. Chili skin. There's oak here as well, a bit soggy but plain board compared to the more sour, richer tone in the Balvenie 15 SBSC. This may sound a bit like Laphroaig but I assure you it is not. The arrival feels a bit numb, almost thin, but that's not at all the whole story here as this whisky develops very, very well in the mouth and leaves a really big, fat Ardbeggian tar/salmiak/smoke trail behind. It's good poo poo, this one, but lord knows if it's a sherry cask or not. I think so, maybe a refill one, but that's one of the big reasons I love this distillery - it's hard to tell sometimes. Oily enough to float a few theories about being finished or 'second matured' but if so I don't count it against a dram this punchy. The oiliness is very present in the mouthfeel but fortunately it doesn't cover the aromas except for the first few moments that make you doubt if there's anything there. Fans of Uigeadail would probably feel at home here provided they added a bit more water than usually on account of the higher strenght. Fucker's woody too, in a really nice mature oaky kind of way, no freshly sawn board here, although it can't be past 10 years old and probably is younger than that. Enough water and the vague fruitines turns into shy tinned pineapple. Water puts this thing together beautifully, 2 teaspoons being an absolute minimum.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 13, 2014

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I will have to try earthworms now.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Please do. Add garlic. I've only smelled them myself but I suppose if snails are fine on the pan then why not.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Grabbed my first bottle of Bulleit recently. That stuff's pretty great! I don't splurge on the expensive stuff too often, so Bulleit seems like a pretty happy medium. I'd rank above my other recent mid shelf favorite, Buffalo Trace.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Deleuzionist posted:

Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask 47,8%

:words:

Ardbeg Elements of Islay Ar4 58,1%

:words:

When I read this type of (what appears to me as) horseshit, I always wonder if some people's brains actually work this way. Are you trying to write like a booze taster because you think that's how it's supposed to be done? Or do you take a sip of whiskey and really experience distinct and precise flavors like blackcurrant juice, Yum Yum noodle spice, and loving Haribo cola candy? If you're for real, can you teach me how to enjoy whiskey at this level? Because when I drink whiskey, it tastes like whiskey. Different whiskeys tastes differently, but I sure can't explain how.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

When I read this type of (what appears to me as) horseshit, I always wonder if some people's brains actually work this way. Are you trying to write like a booze taster because you think that's how it's supposed to be done? Or do you take a sip of whiskey and really experience distinct and precise flavors like blackcurrant juice, Yum Yum noodle spice, and loving Haribo cola candy? If you're for real, can you teach me how to enjoy whiskey at this level? Because when I drink whiskey, it tastes like whiskey. Different whiskeys tastes differently, but I sure can't explain how.
Most of what I write isn't actually based on what I taste but instead what I smell, and I do tend to have multiple glasses on the table for reference when I sit down to write something in order to pick up the differences between them better. When it comes to the taste I usually write down only those impressions that are distinct enough to make me think of something, and there's a lot in each drink that I miss or am unable to pin down.

When I put my nose in the glass it triggers memories of things I've smelled before, which is why you don't find me writing about exotic fruit like lichi (which can be found in a lot of tasting notes) because I don't much eat that kind of stuff so I have no flavour or aroma memory of them. Instead I write down things that I do know and remember. You don't need any special training or magic to do that at all, just a decent nosing glass and some patience, and I'm sure your aromatic memory would also be jogged by at least something. Sometimes it's nasty stuff like in poor Littlemill bottles you find a persistent aroma of poster glue, sometimes it's super distinct like the obvious rubber boot smell in Bunnahabhain Toiteach, and sometimes it's not quite clear like that Yum Yum spice packet which probably registers to others as either some distinct spice or meat stock or some similar savoury, salty and spicy smell.

If you want to experience the magic of Glen Haribo, I suggest lining up any unsherried whisky and putting a glass of some sweet sherry finished thing next to them. If it's not gummi bears you find in that glass of finished stuff, it'll be Basset's wine gums or something similar. It's a kind of pervasive fatty, gummy sweetness you'll not be finding outside sherry matured stuff.

Blackcurrant is a relatively common descriptor in whisky, usually found in well aged stuff. One post I read from a local whisky forum pinpointed the chemicals eucalyptol and alpha-pinene (both coming from the cask) combined with long maturation time as possible sources of the smell.

On a completely different note, if anyone's going to Islay it looks like Ardbeg just put out a new distillery-only bottling
http://blog.islayinfo.com/article.php/ardbeg-kildalton-support-port-ellen
Too bad the article is scant on what's actually in the bottle. The price is a bit tough at £120 though.
edit: Another news item states "Ardbeg Kildalton will be available to purchase online from Autumn 2014 - in the UK and selected European markets" and also says something vague about the contents:

quote:

Dr Bill Lumsden describes Ardbeg Kildalton: "Ardbeg Kildalton is a rather curious whisky, created from an interesting cask selection. Sublime whiskies from two carefully selected years have been chosen for their juxtaposed, but complimentary styles. A blessed marriage of firm, smoky, but creamy Ardbeg from Bourbon barrels with rather racy, spicy whiskies from new and refill Sherry casks has given a harmonious union of bold, colourful flavours."
I wonder why they chose to reuse the Kildalton name for a peated spirit?

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 17, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

The chemical components of flavor are finite in number, and it's the different combinations of this finite number of compounds that produces the infinite variety of flavors we can experience (most of what you taste, incidentally, is actually aroma being detected by the nasal areas around your soft palate). This means that some of the chemical components of, say, coconut, are also present in the wood, or the barley, or the as byproducts of the yeast, and can therefore be detected in a Scotch that has never come within a thousand miles of a coconut. So there's the "is it possible to taste these things" bit of your question.

As for describing and understanding them, it's mostly a question of technique, vocabulary, and disinhibition. Technique because most people don't know how to actually taste a spirit. First you take a sip, and hold it on your tongue for a few seconds. Then you let it run over the sides/back of your tongue. You can "chew" it a bit at this point if you like – this is especially useful for a second or third tasting, to get at subtler flavors. Finally, you swallow slowly, and then exhale back over your tongue. I usually do this with my mouth closed, since again, the flavors are actually aromas being detected by the bottom of your nasal passages.

The thing about vocabulary is that when a whisky taster says they taste blackcurrant, it's not that they're tasting blackcurrant. It's that "blackcurrant" is a word to describe a particular flavor experience in whisky which is somewhat vaguely reminiscent of blackcurrant. It's a whisky-ish blackcurrant, but the important thing isn't how much it resembles an actual blackcurrant, but how different it is from, say, a whisky flavor that people call "plum" or "toasted biscuit". This is where disinhibition comes from – when you think you taste something, you need to say it, and really experience it. A lot of these flavors are very subtle, and you won't really know you're tasting them except that you'll have an idea in your head after tasting. Verbalize that idea, let it crystallize, and then try to home in on it. Sure, most people haven't tasted earthworms. But think about earthworms. See how that feels in your mind. A whisky can absolutely give you a similar feeling. I might call that flavor "wet mulch" but it's the same thing.

This whole process is what makes fine spirits so exciting, especially very heterogeneous spirits like Scotch or rum or mezcal. When you take the time to really delve into a high-quality spirit you can experience things (like drinking earthworms, or smelling a rusty shipyard – that's a Laphroig tasting note) that transcend your mundane daily life. It's sort of like taking psychedelic drugs.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I picked up a bottle of High West Campfire this weekend. It's a blend of bourbon, rye and peated Scotch. I quite liked it. I'm not a frequent Scotch drinker and I don't have the vocabulary or experience to give detailed tasting notes, but I appreciate the suggestion you guys have given to start writing down what I notice so that I can develop my palate and will start doing so. One thing I did notice was interesting to me: I had my first dram from a nosing glass, and the peaty and smoky Scotch flavors were very up front. The peat was the first thing I noticed and it was very dominant. I didn't notice the rye spiciness much at all, but the finish settled into the bourbon sweetness. The next dram I had from a rocks glass, and it was the opposite--the sweet bourbon flavor was up front, the spicy rye was there but in the background, and the peat was just a hint on the finish. I wonder if that's a result of the different surface to volume ratios of the two glasses, or a result of the nosing glass concentrating and directing the aromas. Either way it was interesting to see how two different glass shapes result in different flavors.

lexan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 17, 2014

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yes, the flavors are finite, but most industry experts (the people who actually make the stuff) encourage you to identify basic flavors rather than make is overly-academic.

Examples:

"Orchard fruits" vs "Chinese pear / Fuji apple hybrid."
"Caramel" is the same basic tasting note as "molasses," "brown sugar," "toffee," "Werther's Originals that have been left out on the table for exactly 2 days, 3 hours."
"Black tea" vs "Lapsang souchong" (This is one of Ralfy's favorites and I wonder if Ralfy has ever had Lapsang souchong or if he's just trying to be David Broom.)

Whatever makes you happy I guess. If I had Deleuzionist's nose, I'd probably be a master blender or assistant whiskymaker somewhere.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

Yes, the flavors are finite, but most industry experts (the people who actually make the stuff) encourage you to identify basic flavors rather than make is overly-academic.

Examples:

"Caramel" is the same basic tasting note as "molasses," "brown sugar," "toffee," "Werther's Originals that have been left out on the table for exactly 2 days, 3 hours."
"Black tea" vs "Lapsang souchong" (This is one of Ralfy's favorites and I wonder if Ralfy has ever had Lapsang souchong or if he's just trying to be David Broom.)

Whatever makes you happy I guess. If I had Deleuzionist's nose, I'd probably be a master blender or assistant whiskymaker somewhere.

Lapsang Souchong is really different than regular black tea though.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lapsang Souchong is really different than regular black tea though.

Yes, offering "black tea" in place of "Lapsang souchong" would be like offering "Fruit" in place of "tomato." Yeah some commonality, technically correct, but the larger category would be misleading to the point of inaccurate.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

kidsafe posted:

Examples:

The industry experts recommend that because they are also in the business of selling a product, rather than simply enjoying one, so they encourage nice common flavor references and simplicity. They are also teaching total novices how to taste things, because industry growth has to come from newcomers for the most part. I think it's probably the right move when describing tasting notes to strangers too – stick with stuff that's more relatable. But when I'm tasting with friends I like to get more esoteric and specific because we have more shared experience and vocabulary and it's more fun that way.

Not gonna lie – I don't really read Deleuzionist's tasting notes. It's sort of a text wall and isn't really my style. But it's annoying as hell when people pooh pooh enthusiasm and and a practiced palate, just like all those stupid loving studies about cheap wine in fancy bottles and people going "See, you're really just delusional elitists." The enjoyment of a sophisticated beverage increases with the experience and effort of the taster. If someone is super dismissive of that it's probably because they're either some sort of proud ignoramus or pretty new to the idea that alcohol has flavors other than "strong".

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I think there is some disconnect here. Traditional 'good' Lapsang souchong is really only mildly smoky in aroma and barely smoky in taste. I guess it's sort of transformed in recent years as its become a novelty with tea hobbyists.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

kidsafe posted:

I think there is some disconnect here. Traditional 'good' Lapsang souchong is really only mildly smoky in aroma and barely smoky in taste. I guess it's sort of transformed in recent years as its become a novelty with tea hobbyists.
Can you be more specific about the smoke? Is it mesquite or oak, how old was the wood and was it raised using environmentally sound practices or not?
This is important because I refuse to drink anything that reminds me of the taste of the smoke made by burning strip mining old oak forests.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kidsafe posted:

Ralfy is British and an anorak (to use a word he uses often) about most kinds of drink. He would know what LS tea tastes and smells like. I think he even did a video on tea a while ago.

But I agree his choice of words for describing the aromas is sometimes a bit uhh, specific.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I'm still liking 2 Gingers even though half the time it just tastes like bubble gum.

Maybe I should try mixing it with ginger ale like the label suggests.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I started a real job and I'd like to get myself a nice bottle of scotch to celebrate.

What's something in the 50-150 price range that has lighter fruity taste? I've had Glenlivet 15 and greatly enjoyed that.
My current whiskey stash consists of Evan Williams (replenished when empty), Rittenhouse Rye (same), GlenGrant 10 (good for the price but severely lacking in pronounced flavor) and Port Charlotte Peat Project (much too strong for my taste).

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

lexan posted:

I picked up a bottle of High West Campfire this weekend. It's a blend of bourbon, rye and peated Scotch. I quite liked it. I'm not a frequent Scotch drinker and I don't have the vocabulary or experience to give detailed tasting notes, but I appreciate the suggestion you guys have given to start writing down what I notice so that I can develop my palate and will start doing so. One thing I did notice was interesting to me: I had my first dram from a nosing glass, and the peaty and smoky Scotch flavors were very up front. The peat was the first thing I noticed and it was very dominant. I didn't notice the rye spiciness much at all, but the finish settled into the bourbon sweetness. The next dram I had from a rocks glass, and it was the opposite--the sweet bourbon flavor was up front, the spicy rye was there but in the background, and the peat was just a hint on the finish. I wonder if that's a result of the different surface to volume ratios of the two glasses, or a result of the nosing glass concentrating and directing the aromas. Either way it was interesting to see how two different glass shapes result in different flavors.

This sounds awesome. Curious - have you had Laphroaig? I'm curious how it compares.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cloks posted:

I started a real job and I'd like to get myself a nice bottle of scotch to celebrate.

What's something in the 50-150 price range that has lighter fruity taste? I've had Glenlivet 15 and greatly enjoyed that.
My current whiskey stash consists of Evan Williams (replenished when empty), Rittenhouse Rye (same), GlenGrant 10 (good for the price but severely lacking in pronounced flavor) and Port Charlotte Peat Project (much too strong for my taste).

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban might even be <$50 (I got my current bottle for maybe $45). Scroll up for recommendations.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

spoon0042 posted:

I'm still liking 2 Gingers even though half the time it just tastes like bubble gum.

Maybe I should try mixing it with ginger ale like the label suggests.

My go to use for 2 Gingers is to mix it with some Rumchata and put it in my coffee.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Lowness 72 posted:

This sounds awesome. Curious - have you had Laphroaig? I'm curious how it compares.

I have had both the Laphroaig 10 and the Quarter Cask. I wouldn't say the Campfire was very similar to them. It was smoky and peaty, but not as strongly as the Laphroaigs. It also didn't have the woody and earthy backbone that the Laphroaigs I've had do. And it has a sweetness (from the bourbon, I believe) that I didn't notice in the Laphroaigs. It's very good but in a different way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I opened the bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or I was gifted. It's not bad but I think the aging it in the sauternes casks has actually hurt it, it's got some tannin sort of flavor that doesn't quite work with Glenmorangie I think.

Then again the last Glenmorangie I had was the 18 year which was light and delicious in every way soooo :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cloks posted:

Oban 14

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I opened the bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or I was gifted. It's not bad but I think the aging it in the sauternes casks has actually hurt it, it's got some tannin sort of flavor that doesn't quite work with Glenmorangie I think.

Then again the last Glenmorangie I had was the 18 year which was light and delicious in every way soooo :v:

I couldn't disagree more, I LOVE the Nectar D'Or, it's my favourite Whisky at the moment. The taste has some great complexity to it and I really like the overall sweetness of it. Compared to the normal Glenmorangie 12 which I find quite plain now.

I should try and get hold of some 18 and see if I like that.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I'm not sure why we'd single out the sauternes finish as being tannic. All of the ACE'd Glenmorangies have this character especially the recent special edition Companta.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

My friends 30th birthday and he likes Peaty Whisky. I've bought him a bottle of Bruichladdich Peat, hope he likes it. It seems to get quite mixed reviews.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ChickenArise posted:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban might even be <$50 (I got my current bottle for maybe $45). Scroll up for recommendations.

I went with this and I'm enjoying it. My friend got me a bottle of Bulleit 10 which I like but doesn't measure up to the Glenmorangie.

I didn't see this until it was too late, but I'll pick it up next time I get liquor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I liked the Bulleit 10 a lot, but not at the price increase over the regular Bulleit (which I love at its price).