Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Sochi had immigrant labour pressed into all kinds of hosed up situations, plus maffia hits on competing contractors/whistleblowers IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

Yeah Russia at least has stadiums and infrastructure, and despite racism, corruption, bribery, and no-bid contracts for Putin's friends, at least their infrastructure probably won't see thousands of slaves worked to death in order to build it. It's not a good choice, but it's a choice that you could see a less corrupt organization still making if they thought it was a good idea.

Well, I am sure a few people were probably worked to death on the Moscow subway.

However Russia has hosted both Olympics and it's no worse hosting it there than in the USA USA USA!!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/11/sepp-blatter-fifa-football-planets

quote:

The Fifa president Sepp Blatter has shrugged off the corruption claims engulfing the organisation by joking that it would expand its mission to other planets.

In his address to the Fifa Congress the day before the Brazil World Cup kicks off, Blatter said: “We shall wonder if one day our game is played on another planet? Why not? Then we will have not only a World Cup we will have inter-planetary competitions. Why not?”

:allears:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Let's start by launching FIFA into the sun

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
When thousands of poor workers are dying? No problem for the sponsors and fa's. When corruption is suspected? TAKE IT AWAY FROM QATAR.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Can't wait to see Platini backpaddle in 2040 when it turns out the 2050 World Cup can't be played on Venus because there's no loving oxygen there.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Truth posted:

When thousands of poor workers are dying? No problem for the sponsors and fa's. When corruption is suspected? TAKE IT AWAY FROM QATAR.

More like when public pressure was actually noticeable it became take it away from Qatar. Coca Cola and McDonalds and who the gently caress ever don't care what it is that the thing they're sponsoring does, as long as it reflects badly on them they'll want an inquiry. The outrage could be for something completely mundane but if it was loud enough they'd react. They didn't care about thousands of poor workers dying because the world seemingly didn't care, because journalists and tv news media weren't mentioning it enough.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

You heard it here first: Mars 2026. I mean hey, we're not considering whether it's actually possible to play football in the host's climate after all.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27805019

quote:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said "his mission is not finished" as he was cleared to stand for a fifth term.
Blatter, 78, has been criticised over the damage corruption allegations have inflicted on football's governing body.
But ahead of the 2014 World Cup, Fifa decided not to impose an age limit nor maximum terms for officials.
Meanwhile, Blatter proposed managers be allowed two challenges to refereeing decisions during a match with immediate television reviews.
Swiss Blatter was greeted with applause by the Fifa Congress as he gave his closing remarks and said: "I know that my mandate will finish next year on 29 May in Zurich. But my mission is not finished.

:ughh:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If he tries to bring in challenges/ appeals they'll push him I think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Blatter has dirt on everyone. There was an article I think on the Guardian recently about how he got to where he is, and lots of it was getting people to owe him favours so all of the dodgy stuff was done by other people so technically he's clean. Nobody at FIFA can touch him

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
It's bad, but I honestly hope he dies. Vile human being

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

It's bad, but I honestly hope he dies. Vile human being
He'll just come back and haunt us.. You know, unfinished business! "My mission isn't finished" sounds like a threat to me already..

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I loving hate FIFA and Sepp Blatter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I loving hate FIFA and Sepp Blatter.

It all started with Joao Havelange hating England and turned into this farce because of Switzerland. gently caress the Swiss

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sepp is clearly a Daily Mash reader: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/2026-mongo-world-cup-triggers-controversy-2014060287120

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
NFL style challenge flags? I think Sepp is actually going insane from the pressure, sounds like a really strange speech overall

gently caress Sepp, btw.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Food Court Druid posted:

You heard it here first: Mars 2026. I mean hey, we're not considering whether it's actually possible to play football in the host's climate after all.
He's even got dirt on NASA
http://instagram.com/p/pHxOa8oaBz/

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

it cost $10,000 to put that tiny ball into space

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What would it cost to put Blatter into space? Let's say one-way.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Forgive me if this is already common knowledge, I'm a total soccer noob, but I was shocked to learn that for the longest time, Sepp Blatter has aspired to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Sounds about right for a megalomaniac.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
How can African referees collect their bribes if there are challenge flags? [/racism]

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CubanMissile posted:

How can African referees collect their bribes if there are challenge flags? [/racism]

Cricket challenges often produce a laughably terrible result so I am pretty sure they could do the same in football

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27805019

Blatters gone fully mental.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I HOPE HE DIES SOON FFS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Video replay, yes, hmmmm I think this will lead to some quality posts itf especially while the USA Brigade ramps up for World Cup posting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hegay posted:

I HOPE HE DIES SOON FFS

I don't know, winning the next FIFA election as he becomes increasingly senile would be interesting

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Jose posted:

I don't know, winning the next FIFA election as he becomes increasingly senile would be interesting

Yeah, it would be pretty loving cool if the dude who somehow seems to be able to manipulate FIFA to do his bidding will get senile and still decide on the sport we all love :D

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The World Cup will be played in the South Pole in 2026 as a way to rectify the extreme heat of the 2022 World Cup.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Haha. I would like to randomly bump into him on the street just to see if I could top "the most disrespectful thing" he's ever experienced. He's either a master troll or so out of touch it's unbelievable. I wonder if he knows that everyone wishes him dead

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

tetsman posted:

The World Cup will be played in the South Pole in 2026 as a way to rectify the extreme heat of the 2022 World Cup.

"Yes, the average temperatures in Qatar may be high, but if you average the temperatures over both world cups..."

Distressingly this is something I can imagine him actually saying. As leaps in logic go, its not that much more out there than suggesting that FIFA officials cant be corrupt because racism.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Michel Platini, more commonly known as 'Blatter but French', has stopped supporting Sepp Blatter and will not accept a fifth Blatter term. He will announce his (potential, not yet confirmed) candidacy for FIFA presidency during the August 28 draw of the Champions League

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

belgend posted:

Michel Platini, more commonly known as 'Blatter but French', has stopped supporting Sepp Blatter and will not accept a fifth Blatter term. He will announce his (potential, not yet confirmed) candidacy for FIFA presidency during the August 28 draw of the Champions League

itshappening.gif

One of these cunts is going to be ruined by this and it'll be wonderful even though FIFA will be just as corrupt as ever.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

belgend posted:

I hope they both die.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

RIP Michel Platini but also good riddance

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
I'm not optimistic this will be successful. Ever since sepp started out as president of the World Society of Friends of Suspenders he's had phenomenal support.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/10/franz-beckenbauer-fine-fifa-investigation-world-cup

Beckenbauer might get fined by FIFA for refusing to help with the corruption investigation

My favourite Beckenbauer moment was that time he went over to investigate work conditions in Qatar and came back saying they were fine and then had to pay a massive fine for not declaring £400k in watches given to him as gifts while he was there. However, learning that Qatar hired him as a consultant in oil & gas negotiations going on in countries he's never visited pretty much dictates he'll win the Most Poorly Hidden Bribery award 2014.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Platini is the lesser evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
FIFA presidency decided by who can provide the bungs with more consistency and, maybe, on how large those bungs are. Ftw.

That Champagne fella should run, but if he's as honest as he says and therefore unwilling to provide bungs, he's got no chance.