Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

katkillad2 posted:

Aren't all new games in Canada $70 dollars now due your currency taking a dump? I don't live in Canada but there were plenty of articles claiming games were going to be jumping in price.

It seems to vary from game to game and store to store. Sometimes I see a game $70 at EB Games but it's only $60 on Amazon but at Best Buy it's only $65 and the whole thing is really terrible and awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Aren't all new games in Canada $70 dollars now due your currency taking a dump? I don't live in Canada but there were plenty of articles claiming games were going to be jumping in price.

I haven't bought a new console or console games in a long time so it's hard for me to say. I've largely been a PC gamer for the past few years so I've gotten accustomed to rampant sales everywhere. Seeing new titles I'm interested in at anything beyond $40 is just something I'm not really used to anymore. :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm really pumped for Bayo 1+2, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad this year.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Was there ever an ad for the ZombiU deal or was it simply put on the website and that's it? Local stores won't price match unless it's on paper and I don't really know why.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Was there ever an ad for the ZombiU deal or was it simply put on the website and that's it? Local stores won't price match unless it's on paper and I don't really know why.

A couple other goons said that they just took the game up to the register and it rang up at the sale price, despite being marked $19.99 still. I didn't think to try it myself when I was at Best Buy, but for whatever it's worth, ZombiU was still tagged full price at that location

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jivjov posted:

A couple other goons said that they just took the game up to the register and it rang up at the sale price, despite being marked $19.99 still. I didn't think to try it myself when I was at Best Buy, but for whatever it's worth, ZombiU was still tagged full price at that location

My "local" Best Buy is pretty far, but my local Target is about 10 steps <- that way. I was hoping to just pop in this morning, price match it, be on my way, but they're not willing to price match at all unless it's a physical ad.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Galactic posted:

How is the media on this thing? Like can I watch twitch, youtube and netflix? I am really close to getting one tomorrow.

There are apps for Netflix and Youtube, twitch has to be run in the browser but it works pretty well.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Zelda U trailer was gameplay
that was gameplay
gameplay

holy gently caress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope it's not just a mistranslation and he actually means "rendered in real-time".

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think it means its in engine, but that was 100% a cut scene. The game will probably look that good and have a big laser octopus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

I haven't played 3D World, so correct me if I'm wrong and he's now amazing, but were there really a number of people clamoring to play a Toad game? He's always just been the Scrappy Doo of the Mario Universe to me.

Have you played the Mario Galaxy games? That's where the character Captain Toad came from. He's actually distinct from your run of the mill generic Toad and they did a lot of fun things with him in Mario Galaxy. You rescue him and the Toad Brigade in an early level, and then for the rest of the game they keep popping up trying to help you find more stars and getting themselves into amusing predicaments. Captain Toad in particular is bolder than he is competent and ends up, among other things, getting himself locked in a chest and gives you a star for rescuing him.

It's not some kind of deep story or characterization or something (I mean we are talking about non-RPG Mario games) but it was cute and memorable. So Captain Toad has been a character I've been fond of since the Galaxy days. Add in an actual idea of a type of gameplay for him in 3D World and yeah a lot of people were clamoring to play a Captain Toad game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Anything that helps to remove Wario's Woods from the collective conscience is fine by me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Anything that helps to remove Wario's Woods from the collective conscience is fine by me.

On the Treehouse stream yesterday they actually mentioned Wario's Woods as part of Toad's legacy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I loving love the idea of the captain toad game but I hope there are some really challenging levels. All the stages they showed on the treehouse had gems in plain sight and very limited danger.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sorry, but Wario's Woods is a fun puzzle game for funhavers

Perhaps you got it confused with Yoshi???

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So when June 1st rolls around do my coins on my club nintendo account reset? Cause the featured games it shows that I can by I have no interest in, but I don't want these coins to go to waste if I can't hold on to em until a better game comes along

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Macaluso posted:

So when June 1st rolls around do my coins on my club nintendo account reset? Cause the featured games it shows that I can by I have no interest in, but I don't want these coins to go to waste if I can't hold on to em until a better game comes along

Coins you've been hoarding for 2 years (I think) will expire. You can check your account history to see if you have any about to expire.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bought my Wii U a week ago. After E3 really pumped for what's coming up.

Just wish I didn't use my free game code on SMBU. Should have gotten Wind Waker :(.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm having a hard time choosing my free game in the Mario Kart promotion. Stuck between Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101. Will Monster Hunter be fun if I never play with others? And I usually get tired of fast stylish action games, but Wonderful 101 might have the charm to make up for it? Halp me guys.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Alex WS posted:

I'm having a hard time choosing my free game in the Mario Kart promotion. Stuck between Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101. Will Monster Hunter be fun if I never play with others? And I usually get tired of fast stylish action games, but Wonderful 101 might have the charm to make up for it? Halp me guys.

Well you're in luck, because those games aren't among the options for the free game! You only get a choice out of four possible free games.

Those would be Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, and Wii Party U or whatever. So you'll have to pick one of those.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well you're in luck, because those games aren't among the options for the free game! You only get a choice out of four possible free games.

Those would be Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, and Wii Party U or whatever. So you'll have to pick one of those.

Europe does. :ssh:

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Thanks to this thread I found out about the digital deluxe promotion. I logged in and found out that I already have $20 of credit accumulated :magical:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Artix posted:

Yep Europe gets like 100 choices of free game, the US gets 4.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alex WS posted:

Do you like grinding? If so, pick Monster Hunter.
Do you want to boost Wonderful 101 Sales get that instead. :v:

Artix posted:

Glorious Europe for a change.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait what

:(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
efb

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Alex WS posted:

Wonderful 101 has an amazing amount of charm. If you liked the kind of humor that was in, say, Viewtiful Joe, you'll like the kind of humor in W101. However W101 IS hard. You will get VERY bad ranks at first until you develop your skills and buy more abilities. However it IS traditional Platinum, AKA heavy and fast paced action with things explained very poorly or not at all. If games like that aren't your cup of tea, I'd just wait a few weeks and wait for Chip Cheezum's LP of it to start up.

Monster Hunter... I dunno. My bud loves Monster Hunter, but it's just a game that I can't get into. I love watching OTHER people play it, sure, but actually playing it myself? Not my cup of tea, where Wonderful 101 is. If you play it, be prepared for a grindfest and to hunt the same monster 4, 5, 6, maybe more times to get a specific kind of drop for that hella sweet sword that is also an axe you want to make.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Monster hunter is pretty much really fleshed out dark souls boss fights you can take on with friends.

It's a very technical game, and while the loot system has you killing the same thing over and over it's also satisfying because as you do this, you get better and better and soon reach a point where you're dancing around a giant dragon and kill it in just a few minutes.

This isn't everyone's bag but if it clicks there's nothing else like it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So if I order MK8 now and get it in two days, I just have to register it on Club Nintendo and get a free game? Or is there more to this promotion. I'm in the market to buy a new Wii U game and don't know what to get.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Thanks guys! Really excited now. Going to pick up the Mario Kart bundle with:
Mass Effect
3d World
Zombie U
Deus Ex
Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter

Any other suggestions? I already own ME and Deus Ex on pc but I want to play them again and figured why not. Can I play Paper Mario?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So if I order MK8 now and get it in two days, I just have to register it on Club Nintendo and get a free game? Or is there more to this promotion. I'm in the market to buy a new Wii U game and don't know what to get.

That is all you have to do, unless you consider entering your game download code into the eShop part of the process. You don't actually need the Wii U to get the game so you can register now and just sit on the stuff for a while.

Galactic posted:

Thanks guys! Really excited now. Going to pick up the Mario Kart bundle with:
Mass Effect
3d World
Zombie U
Deus Ex
Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter

Any other suggestions? I already own ME and Deus Ex on pc but I want to play them again and figured why not. Can I play Paper Mario?

Pikmin 3 is a great game that you can get free of charge with Mario Kart! Also, yes, you can play the entire console Paper Mario series on your Wii U, Paper Mario 1 on the Wii's virtual console (so you'll need a classic controller or a pro controller), Paper Mario 2 using Wii homebrew magic (you'll need a classic controller, a pro controller or a PS3 controller and you'll also need a backwards compatible Wii and a legitimate copy of Paper Mario 2 so this might be more trouble than it's worth) and Super Paper Mario is natively compatible with Wii mode.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 12, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

That is all you have to do, unless you consider entering your game download code into the eShop part of the process. You don't actually need the Wii U to get the game so you can register now and just sit on the stuff for a while.

Pikmin 3 is a great game that you can get free of charge with Mario Kart! Also, yes, you can play the entire console Paper Mario series on your Wii U, Paper Mario 1 on the Wii's virtual console (so you'll need a classic controller or a pro controller), Paper Mario 2 using Wii homebrew magic (you'll need a classic controller, a pro controller or a PS3 controller) and Super Paper Mario is natively compatible with Wii mode.

I am super down to get two Wii U games for the price of one, so I guess I'll do that then, thanks. I guess I need to cash in my Club Nintendo Coins too...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Seshoho Cian posted:

Zelda U trailer was gameplay
that was gameplay
gameplay

holy gently caress.

I'll believe that when the game is out. Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a promo video of something that wasn't gameplay where the actual gameplay looked nearly as good. Hell, even when companies show gameplay the usual released game doesn't look nearly as good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

suck it america

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
For a free game, I can't recommend Pikmin 3 enough. I hadn't played a Pikmin game since GCN's first one, but man is it a treat visually and gameplay wise. With the update for stylus controls it really makes it feel more fluid for off screen play. The only downside is the DLC is not free and your postgame will be considerably hindered without it, but you really don't need the DLC to enjoy this game fully from what I've seen so far. Wind Waker would be a close second if you already own Pikmin 3 or don't care for the series. If you are going to buy the Wii Party, might as well get a physical copy and gain the stand and wiimote that comes with it.

Edit: Poorly worded saying that the game is "Incomplete" without the DLC.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 12, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The DLC is bonus stages for mission mode, its not like the game ends halfway through with a big TO BE CONTINUED or whatever.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

The DLC is bonus stages for mission mode, its not like the game ends halfway through with a big TO BE CONTINUED or whatever.

Didn't mean to make it sound like that, I'll edit my post. I just feel that DLC at times can make a game feel incomplete.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I sold my download codes of Pikmin and Wonderful 101 back when I wasn't playing the console that much, and it was sitting packed up in my travel bag. Kinda regret that now, even if I did get 2x as much for them than they cost me. Dangit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Wait I cant use the gamepad to play virtual console games?

• Locked thread