Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Potential employer X has a few jobs posted on their website and LinkedIn page. The postings make no mention of a placement agency or anything of the like.

Agency Y has the same jobs posted, with verbiage to the effect of "Don't apply directly to X, they'll just forward us the application anyway."

What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FrozenVent posted:

Potential employer X has a few jobs posted on their website and LinkedIn page. The postings make no mention of a placement agency or anything of the like.

Agency Y has the same jobs posted, with verbiage to the effect of "Don't apply directly to X, they'll just forward us the application anyway."

What gives?

I don't know what's up with that, but my gut instinct says to absolutely not do what Agency Y tells you to because:
  • It would reduce the likelihood of anyone from Employer X seeing the application.
  • The official company website posting makes no mention of Agency Y.
  • Agency Y's posting says that sending it to Employer X is literally the same as sending it to them anyway.

Anyway, today I had a completely miserable interview that was for a :siren:Job I Got a Degree For:siren:

It started with a phone interview on Friday that went incredibly well. For the face-to-face interview I was supposed to meet with two people from the company. I was feeling pretty hopeful at first because the reception staff were real friendly and the place seemed to have a pleasant atmosphere. Then the interviewer (yes, there was only one) showed up and seemed to be pretty impatient from the beginning.

So we went into the conference room and he started talking immediately, even before I even managed to put my coat up, sit down, and take out my pen and paper. He kept blabbing on and on, asking me a question every now and then, but never giving me much opportunity to really flesh out my responses. He only let me speak in response to direct questions. It didn't feel like an interview as much as a lecture. I felt like I was sent to the high school principal's office or something.

In the end he told me I wasn't qualified, closed his folder and wished me luck on the job search, then shook my hand and went back to his office. That was it. It's pretty obvious that he had absolutely no idea how to conduct an interview and I got the vibe that he knew I wasn't going to be offered a job even before I stepped in the door. What a loving waste of my time. I felt pretty humiliated.

I sort-of know two of the people in that company (both of which do pretty much exactly what I would be doing there if I were hired) and was hoping to meet with them, but they were apparently "out taking care of a few things" :jerkbag: Oh well, I guess he did me a favor. I don't want to work in a place that's probably incredibly disorganized and is disrespectful to its candidates.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 10, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I was looking around and found a job which had this as part of the application process:

quote:

Format your resume using the third-person narrative resume format

and the relevant section from their sample, formatting preserved exactly:

quote:

Mr. Jones is fully qualified for the Electronics Technician III Labor Category, he is a High School and Navy Electronics Technician (ET) "A" School Graduate with over ten (10) years experience in progressively responsible Electronics Maintenance and Instructor positions involving the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair of sophisticated electronics systems, sub-systems and equipment used in the continuous operation of NTCS-A, and JMCIS systems, sub-systems, and equipment.   Troubleshot, repaired and maintained 19 different UYK-20 based systems and associated peripherals.  Four DTC-2 based systems.  Two VAX 11-780 systems and associated peripherals, and a AN/UYK-7 system.  He was responsible for training technicians in all facets of the NTCS-A and JMCIS system maintenance, ultimately being responsible for fleetwide training of all entry-level technicians for the NTCS-A and JMCIS community.  His experience also includes design, installation, troubleshooting and repair of computer networks.  He was Certified as an Instructor for the NTCS-A and JMCIS Maintainer School at Dam Neck, VA. where he taught Equipment Troubleshooting, and repair of computer systems and associated peripherals.  Mr. Jones' experience includes over seven (7) years as a Workcenter and Workgroup Supervisor, where he was responsible for up to forty-five (45) electronics maintenance technicians involved in the daily operation and maintenance of two different Naval Facilities.

what the poo poo is this and why would anyone do or want to look at it

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Bisty Q. posted:

Email it to the HR person and ask them to forward it to the interviewer.
Thanks for the tip, already got a response.

quote:

Good morning, Dijkstra,

Consider it done.
Til next time, take care,
HR Person
:toot:

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

^: Also, the formatting is amateurish and there's several grammatical/syntax errors. This may be a circumstance where paying someone like DD to help you learn how to phrase things would be worthwhile.

I really wish I could but I need the 300 dollars I got left to take the FE exam in july. If I don't have a job by august then I will just take a job anywhere and with my first pay check I will probably have DD make me a resume. Also I'd like to thank everyone, especially DD for all the help so far. Every critique helps a ton, and I think I am slowly getting better at this stuff!

All I can do for now is keep trying to improve my resume and post here for any critiques, so that is what I am going to do. I kinda spent the last day just working on this complete redesign from a format I found. I emphasized some things more and expanded my work section.

I do have one big question though. In my new resume I turn my custodial job into maintenance manager. After speaking with some people and my old employer it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Nobody had any real roles in that job because it was just a small company with a few contract workers. I slowly took on extra responsibilities such as ordering supplies and making sure everything was going well in the building. I could never directly fire people or anything like that so I am not sure if the manager part fits.

Also I was told I could replace maintenance for custodian :V. Some feed back on that too.

O yea here is the new resume! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPdHJNM1RGTjdDNjQ/edit?usp=sharing

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
A job I applied for just told me I need to do a HireVue video interview. Anyone have experience doing this?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This question might be kind of field-specific, but I will still give it a go:

For someone who already has a professional degree (an M. Ed. in my case) how important are professional development courses? Like weekend or week-long seminars or trainings, with or without college credit?

I have a gap on my resume for this year, and I am wondering if having "Attended Cultural Diversity Seminar" (or whatever) will be seen as much of a plus.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Xeom posted:

I really wish I could but I need the 300 dollars I got left to take the FE exam in july. If I don't have a job by august then I will just take a job anywhere and with my first pay check I will probably have DD make me a resume. Also I'd like to thank everyone, especially DD for all the help so far. Every critique helps a ton, and I think I am slowly getting better at this stuff!

All I can do for now is keep trying to improve my resume and post here for any critiques, so that is what I am going to do. I kinda spent the last day just working on this complete redesign from a format I found. I emphasized some things more and expanded my work section.

I do have one big question though. In my new resume I turn my custodial job into maintenance manager. After speaking with some people and my old employer it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Nobody had any real roles in that job because it was just a small company with a few contract workers. I slowly took on extra responsibilities such as ordering supplies and making sure everything was going well in the building. I could never directly fire people or anything like that so I am not sure if the manager part fits.

Also I was told I could replace maintenance for custodian :V. Some feed back on that too.

O yea here is the new resume! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPdHJNM1RGTjdDNjQ/edit?usp=sharing

Im not really won over by the redesign. I dont know why you have that summary when youve just graduated. All those things should be made clear in a cover lettetr, by your resume, or by the fact that you submitted to x job. Ill write an idea for an edit in a second and post it here.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

I'd be happy to show you how you can improve this. Can you just upload it as a .doc file so I can edit it?

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 12, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've just managed to bullshit my way into an interview for a position in recruitment on Monday. I have zero experience with any kind of work outside retail and I have no clue what I'm talking about or how to prepare. I'm looking up recruitment on Google but I don't really know what kind of information I need to know. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to find information? Thank you!

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

I'd be happy to show you how you can improve this. Can you just upload it as a .doc file so I can edit it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPMzY4MHlCSkYyZWM/edit?usp=sharing

For some reason when I upload it to google docs some of it changes a bit and takes up two pages. :iiam:

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Xeom posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPMzY4MHlCSkYyZWM/edit?usp=sharing

For some reason when I upload it to google docs some of it changes a bit and takes up two pages. :iiam:

Sorry about this, I didn't realize I had already critiqued your resume before. The old formatting and organization was better. You sort of threw the baby out with the bathwater. You were close before, you just needed a few tweaks and you needed to write better sentences. I think this new version is worse.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Xandu posted:

If it's not something you can google, go ahead. It'll backfire a little bit though if it ends up being industry standard jargon, rather than just internal stuff.

Thanks for this! I asked in the interview and they were pretty happy to explain and talk about how they do things.

glowing-fish posted:

This question might be kind of field-specific, but I will still give it a go:

For someone who already has a professional degree (an M. Ed. in my case) how important are professional development courses? Like weekend or week-long seminars or trainings, with or without college credit?

I have a gap on my resume for this year, and I am wondering if having "Attended Cultural Diversity Seminar" (or whatever) will be seen as much of a plus.

I get really good feedback in interviews for even unrelated CPD, so I'd say stick it on. It proves you're not totally mentally vacant and that you are actually interested in whatever profession it is. M.Ed is probably a little different, but for some careers if you do decide you want to join some kind of professional body post-hoc, they're really useful for getting higher level membership.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Had a phone screen go decently again :toot: but we'll see once they get through their other applicants.

They initially contacted me around noon yesterday asking if I'd be able to do an in-person at their office at 10 this morning and I was all uhhhh that's like a 6 hour drive minimum that's not gonna work on that kind of notice, how about a phone call? and so we did that.

Mostly on these things I've been focusing on that I fuckin' love analyzing data because I'm a colossal nerd. Not in so many words but :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Had a customer's rep email me "Hey I might be looking for a new (job position) soon, know anyone who might be interested?" :unsmith:

I replied "I know someone who might be, did you have a specific profile in mind?" (It was my work email after all) and haven't heard back, I'm thinking I should have gone with "Hell yeah, ME ME ME ME!!!!!".

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

Sorry about this, I didn't realize I had already critiqued your resume before. The old formatting and organization was better. You sort of threw the baby out with the bathwater. You were close before, you just needed a few tweaks and you needed to write better sentences. I think this new version is worse.

Its no problem dude. OK, well that's good to know about the format.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

After five rejections, the sixth just got me an interview! Thanks for all the help, y'all!

I do have an interview question, now: often times they ask why you're looking for a new job. I've got many reasons: my family has wanted to move back to our home area (we currently live halfway across the country), I'm looking to move from working in a public library to working in a university, I've been in my present job almost 6 years and no one above me is retiring so I can't advance, the town I'm living in is experiencing a horrible drought and may not be around in 10 years, but the primary one is that my father has had two serious health scares over the past year, and I'd much rather be a 3 hour drive away than a 22 hour one if anything (gods forbid) happened, but he'd kill me if I moved without having a job lined up first.

Clearly I can't say it like that, but should I mention it at all? Do I just use the standard "Looking for new opportunities and challenges where I can better contribute my skills and experience" type answer?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Spoilers Below posted:

After five rejections, the sixth just got me an interview! Thanks for all the help, y'all!

I do have an interview question, now: often times they ask why you're looking for a new job. I've got many reasons: my family has wanted to move back to our home area (we currently live halfway across the country), I'm looking to move from working in a public library to working in a university, I've been in my present job almost 6 years and no one above me is retiring so I can't advance, the town I'm living in is experiencing a horrible drought and may not be around in 10 years, but the primary one is that my father has had two serious health scares over the past year, and I'd much rather be a 3 hour drive away than a 22 hour one if anything (gods forbid) happened, but he'd kill me if I moved without having a job lined up first.

Clearly I can't say it like that, but should I mention it at all? Do I just use the standard "Looking for new opportunities and challenges where I can better contribute my skills and experience" type answer?

"I want to move closer to family" (Oh hey look how I'm familiar with the area and totally have a reason to hang around!) "I'm also looking to find new professional growth opportunities." (I'm bored with my old job because I'm not a slacker.)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
What's the best way to put research publications on a non-academic resume? Publication history is basically the record of one's accomplishments in academia, but if you're looking to move to industry you don't really get to spend six pages listing all your accomplishments.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

What's the best way to put research publications on a non-academic resume? Publication history is basically the record of one's accomplishments in academia, but if you're looking to move to industry you don't really get to spend six pages listing all your accomplishments.

Generally in non-academia nobody cares. Put them on your LinkedIn profile and say "Several academic publications in [broad field], please see http://blah for details."

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

KernelSlanders posted:

I might do a bullet point like "Published in Nature, Animal Husbandry Quarterly, and more" that way it would be something interesting they could notice and ask you about in an interview.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I completed my HireVue interview last night. I asked about it in here but no one seemed to have encountered it before. I was pretty worried about it initially, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. I downloaded the app on my ipad, put on a suit, and spent 10-15 minutes dicking around with the lighting. Then I started the interview and it let me do two practice questions where I recorded my answers and could view them. It warned me that during the real interview I couldn't view the recordings afterward.

It then had 7 questions that the hiring people from the job obviously created. I was given 30 seconds to read the question and prepare an answer (which is nice compared to a real-time interview), then I had three minutes to answer, but I could end the answer if I said all I wanted in under three minutes.

It felt like I did pretty well, so I'm hoping they'll call me soon about a real interview. I like the idea of this kind of interview being used as a pre-screen. The last time I got a real interview they called me and invited me to come interview in person, then I had to take time off work and fly out only to not get the job :( It's good to know that if I'm going to not get the job because of affirmative action (I'm for affirmative action, but it's never going to benefit me) or because they just really liked someone's personality etc. better, I'd rather they figure that out after I've only invested about an hour doing this kind of interview.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

ashgromnies posted:

I might do a bullet point like "Published in Nature, Animal Husbandry Quarterly, and more" that way it would be something interesting they could notice and ask you about in an interview.

I should have said, that they're specifically looking for recent PhDs. Same still applies?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If they're specifically looking for Ph. D. I'd just send them the resume you use in academia. Maybe slap in a summary of qualification at the top, and move any relevant experience right after the education section; leave the publications for the end.

Of course, if something you published is especially relevant, highlight it in the summary of qualifications.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

If they're specifically looking for Ph. D. I'd just send them the resume you use in academia. Maybe slap in a summary of qualification at the top, and move any relevant experience right after the education section; leave the publications for the end.

Of course, if something you published is especially relevant, highlight it in the summary of qualifications.

Yes, this is a big detail to gloss over. Do what FrozenVent said.

systran:

I don't like HireVue and won't comment on them because I view it as amazingly disrespectful of the candidate's time and feel the fewer people are willing to engage with them the better. That said, sounds like your experience went okay.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I felt it was kind of disrespectful in some ways, but I'm not in an industry that can afford to fly out candidates. Last time I had an interview, they said, "We can't afford to pay your travel, so you can do a Skype interview if you'd like, and we'd also be happy if you're able to come out."

It kind of put me on the spot, because I really wanted the job, but they gave me very short notice so the plane ticket was $500 and I had to also use vacation time. I was really excited about the job so I told her right then, "I will definitely fly out to interview," because I figured if I really wanted the job and if they were willing to have me come out, $500 + hotel costs was a drop in the bucket vs. getting paid more per year. I also considered that I may be up against other people in the same situation, and how would it look if I said I wasn't willing to fly out, yet the other people were? Then, I didn't get the job. It became a very expensive trip to practice my interviewing skills, more or less.

HireVue really is just a 'let's weed out people we don't want' mechanism, but at this point I really am kind of just okay with being weeded out ahead of time if they ultimately are not going to hire me. I apply to a few jobs every week, and most jobs I've applied to just never respond to me until they notify me I didn't get the job. If I had to choose between zero feedback or at least knowing I got far enough to do a video interview, I'd take the video interview.

Maybe I would change my mind if every job I applied for started making me do this, and then none of them ever called back after the HireVue process. If they are using it to knock five candidates down to three, it seems like a good tool. If it's used to take 35 down to 10, then I agree it's disrespectful.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 17, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Resumes and phone screens are what you use for weeding out. Skype's good enough for the actual interview.

This hirevue poo poo sounds like you get to have the interview but they can't be arsed to actually bother with you. It'd piss me off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Just to check, it's not considered weird to thank people and ask them why they chose to not go ahead so you can address it, right? I've read on various LinkedIn things that I should do this but half of those always feel like a person who isn't quite clear themselves on how they got where they are trying to act sagely.

ladyofshallnot
Nov 11, 2008
I'm in a bit of a wonky position: I just got back to the states, and I'm staying in WA until I move to NYC at the end of August. I'm currently looking mostly in the publishing industry, but also responding to admin assistant ads. I'm a bit worried about attracting attention even though I'm across the country and not physically available for interviews. Here's my general resume, and a cover letter I've used.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Dpj87lGEGdMkRoaVZMV1dvWVk/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Dpj87lGEGdejRudVRUX0tOb3c/edit?usp=sharing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Shugojin posted:

Just to check, it's not considered weird to thank people and ask them why they chose to not go ahead so you can address it, right? I've read on various LinkedIn things that I should do this but half of those always feel like a person who isn't quite clear themselves on how they got where they are trying to act sagely.
The worst thing that can happen is that you continue not having that job, so I'd go ahead and do whatever you think will help you get the next job.

ladyofshallnot posted:

I'm in a bit of a wonky position: I just got back to the states, and I'm staying in WA until I move to NYC at the end of August. I'm currently looking mostly in the publishing industry, but also responding to admin assistant ads. I'm a bit worried about attracting attention even though I'm across the country and not physically available for interviews. Here's my general resume, and a cover letter I've used.

"I will be relocating soon" is a red flag. Put a date.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Misogynist posted:

The worst thing that can happen is that you continue not having that job, so I'd go ahead and do whatever you think will help you get the next job.

Yeah alright. I also caved bought a goon resume thing from DustingDuvet because I'm so tired of getting a 5% at best return rate on submissions so maybe that will change soon :unsmith:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shugojin posted:

That's all about your

You want to say something like "Thank you so much for getting in touch. It's really rare to hear anything from companies, and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. I was really excited about potentially joining Chocolate Teapots, Inc. and would very much appreciate to be considered if you have similar openings in the future. If it isn't too much trouble, if there was anything I was obviously lacking compared to the successful candidate that you can share with me, I'd greatly value that feedback so I can position myself better in the future." You want to make it about thanking them for telling you no and just an "oh by the way if you wanna give me feedback I'd listen" kind of thing, not a "tell me why you said no or else :ese:" vibe.

Then, if they do give feedback, send a similar note thanking them for their opinions, no matter what they say, and take their advice.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is there anything I might put in the profile section if I'm a fresh college graduate with basically 0 work experience?

I want to apply for a teaching profession, if that's relevant.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

ladyofshallnot posted:

Here is a very basic critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

This is a pre-interview question, but a job I applied for just sent me a message asking me if I'd be willing to relocate.

What's a good way to ease their minds on me flaking because it's kind of far away? I know people in the area, so it's not a huge deal for me, but I'd probably move even if I didn't.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Yes, I would be willing to relocate. I have friends in *city* and enjoy it very much already; in fact I've been considering moving there."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

That's all about your

You want to say something like "Thank you so much for getting in touch. It's really rare to hear anything from companies, and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. I was really excited about potentially joining Chocolate Teapots, Inc. and would very much appreciate to be considered if you have similar openings in the future. If it isn't too much trouble, if there was anything I was obviously lacking compared to the successful candidate that you can share with me, I'd greatly value that feedback so I can position myself better in the future." You want to make it about thanking them for telling you no and just an "oh by the way if you wanna give me feedback I'd listen" kind of thing, not a "tell me why you said no or else :ese:" vibe.

Then, if they do give feedback, send a similar note thanking them for their opinions, no matter what they say, and take their advice.

Yeah I started by thanking the interviewer for telling me and for their time, and asked for details on their decision so I could address them for the future. Sounds like I did it right.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I am updating my resume and I have a question that only someone from outside my head can answer.

I have been working in defense contracting for 22 years, but I have not had a single day of military service. I want to emphasize that I was able to excel without the benefit of military service plus I don't want my future employers to say "This guy is ex-military" and pigeon hole me.

What I was going to say was "No military service - I have excelled in this field without this benefit and learn quickly in new environments".

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill and will making this statement make me look like a douche? Does this have the effect I'm looking for which is that I will adapt quickly and be a benefit in very short order?

ladyofshallnot
Nov 11, 2008

DustingDuvet posted:

Here is a very basic critique. Hope this helps!

It's excellent! Thank you. I've been over this drat thing so many times it makes my eyes cross. I'll patch it up.

Misogynist posted:

"I will be relocating soon" is a red flag. Put a date.

Also noted, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Keith Stone posted:

I am updating my resume and I have a question that only someone from outside my head can answer.

I have been working in defense contracting for 22 years, but I have not had a single day of military service. I want to emphasize that I was able to excel without the benefit of military service plus I don't want my future employers to say "This guy is ex-military" and pigeon hole me.

What I was going to say was "No military service - I have excelled in this field without this benefit and learn quickly in new environments".

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill and will making this statement make me look like a douche? Does this have the effect I'm looking for which is that I will adapt quickly and be a benefit in very short order?
Why do you want to emphasis something you don't have? Just don't say you were in the military and people won't think you were in the military.