Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Galactic posted:

Wait I cant use the gamepad to play virtual console games?

You can use it to play virtual console game for Wii U. Not the old ones for Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Galactic posted:

Wait I cant use the gamepad to play virtual console games?

If they are Wii mode VC games no. They have to be upgraded through the shop and played on the Wii U mode to do so.

E:fb :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

m.hache posted:

Bought my Wii U a week ago. After E3 really pumped for what's coming up.

Just wish I didn't use my free game code on SMBU. Should have gotten Wind Waker :(.

SMBU was what I went for (I had the better games already) and it just seems bad. It feels sluggish and even the early levels are difficult. But not in a good way, it's a "the platforming does not cooperate with the character movement" way. Did they change something compared to the other NSMB games? I loved the ones for Wii and 3DS.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Bruceski posted:

SMBU was what I went for (I had the better games already) and it just seems bad. It feels sluggish and even the early levels are difficult. But not in a good way, it's a "the platforming does not cooperate with the character movement" way. Did they change something compared to the other NSMB games? I loved the ones for Wii and 3DS.

I feel like, at least after playing NSMB2, that the zoomed out perspective made the game feel empty and slow. NSMB2 is fast and dense, which was a lot of fun for me. A friend suggested that it's more tailored towards multiplayer than NSMB games in the past. That said, I played NSMBU after playing Super Mario 3D World, so there was no way I was going to really get into it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bruceski posted:

SMBU is fantastic and made better if you have a second person to help/kill you. If you are playing it by yourself you are doing everything wrong.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Just going off the Wii one, NSMBU seems more like a game you get 3-4 people on a couch with you to play together and dick each other over constantly enjoy jolly co-operation.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought it under the impression that I would get people over to play it and have fun but honestly a majority of the play time will likely be me and my fiance. I find it to be really janky to play but I've never really played any of the new ones. Super Mario would have been the last Side Scroller Mario game I've played and I was hoping it would handle as tight as that.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Yeah, I played NSMBU with my wife and Luigi U by myself and had a blast with them both. Maybe it's personal taste?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A lot of what people don't like about the way NSMB "feels" is true of most 2.5D action games, I think.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of what people don't like about the way NSMB "feels" is true of most 2.5D action games, I think.

I find this to be true. I'm worried that all of the platformers they showed at E3 will have the same feel. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

The good news is Mario Kart 8 feels as solid as ever when not using the steering wheel mode. Plain old D-Pad for me thank you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It plays a lot more slippery, but I don't think it's really bad. I just wish the series was more different each time. They might as well all be DLC level packs to the original. And going back to them from 3D World is impossible if for no other reason than being sent out of the level and having to go back in every single time you die is dumb as poo poo. I didn't notice how horrible it was until after I experienced 3D World.

That being said, I'm glad the Mario Maker includes the option to have that particular art style. I'm hoping all 4 Mario eras in there (maybe even include Mario 2 tilesets though that game played way too differently)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's why I'm trying to figure out what changed. I loved NSMB and NSMBWii, NSMB2 was good after getting through the "we need to show off the new coin stuff" levels. But NSMB2 is just meh for me, world 1 seems to have a lot of difficult jumps that don't feel like they're *supposed* to be difficult jumps and it's kept me from picking it up again for world 2.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

m.hache posted:

I find this to be true. I'm worried that all of the platformers they showed at E3 will have the same feel. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

The good news is Mario Kart 8 feels as solid as ever when not using the steering wheel mode. Plain old D-Pad for me thank you.

Worst comes to worst, the Mario Maker game uses the classic Mario platforming, even with the NSMB skin. Although the only thing people will be making are Kaizo levels.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Bruceski posted:

That's why I'm trying to figure out what changed. I loved NSMB and NSMBWii, NSMB2 was good after getting through the "we need to show off the new coin stuff" levels. But NSMB2 is just meh for me, world 1 seems to have a lot of difficult jumps that don't feel like they're *supposed* to be difficult jumps and it's kept me from picking it up again for world 2.

Hmmm, between you thinking it's sluggish (it's not) and being unable to make the easiest jumps in the game.... Are you using the run button? Because there is one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mobius posted:

Hmmm, between you thinking it's sluggish (it's not) and being unable to make the easiest jumps in the game.... Are you using the run button? Because there is one.

I've been playing Mario for 30 years. I know where the run button is.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Bruceski posted:

Custom title if I ever read one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pichupal posted:

Worst comes to worst, the Mario Maker game uses the classic Mario platforming, even with the NSMB skin. Although the only thing people will be making are Kaizo levels.
Don't worry I'll offset the Kaizo levels with my own series of levels that will just have various curse words written in blocks.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Don't worry I'll offset the Kaizo levels with my own series of levels that will just have various curse words written in blocks.

*Mario springs over an enormous wang made out of a moving stack of goombas*

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Bruceski posted:

Well, then I dunno...

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

NSMBU does have a weird floaty feeling if you've been playing SM3DW or the like. Everything has a lot of inertia. Don't think it's bad, but definitely different.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
NSMBU (like all 2D platformers, in fact) has its own particular gameplay physics specific to that game, that take some time to get used to; at least, it did for me, but it also took a while for me to get used to the original NSMB's (for DS) physics when I started playing that back when, or to get used to the physics in Rayman Legends back when I started playing that, for example. It just comes with the territory of starting a new platform game, I think, because each of these games plays slightly differently and according to their own respective rulesets each. Personally, I now consider the NSLU expansion the best 2D Mario platformer ever made; I still wouldn't particularly recommend it to people, though, because most people have already played this or that one of the 2D Mario platform games, and its only such a very slight improvement over any given other one of them that, unless you're really craving more of the same, it's pretty much a waste of time as long as there are other, better games to play (like, say, 3D World).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What's the track record been so far with the performance of these discounted refurbished consoles? I got my Wii used and it runs fine, so I'm optimistic about a $150 savings even if there's only like three games out for the thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Mario U felt fine but I've also never had a problem with how the LBP games feel so my opinion probably doesn't mean much here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Setting up my Wii U, why isn't it letting me transfer my 3DS Mii? If I do it over wifi my 3DS says "This mii cannot be sent" and the Wii U says that it "cannot be received", and it also doesn't like the QR code that my 3DS spits out. Anyone run into this? Google isn't being very helpful.

e: My mii has both sharing and copying turned on before anyone asks.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

homeless snail posted:

Setting up my Wii U, why isn't it letting me transfer my 3DS Mii? If I do it over wifi my 3DS says "This mii cannot be sent" and the Wii U says that it "cannot be received", and it also doesn't like the QR code that my 3DS spits out. Anyone run into this? Google isn't being very helpful.

Um, If I remember right you have to go into mii maker on the 3DS and make sure the mii you want to copy isn't protected. I had a similar issue when setting up my Wii U

edit- poo poo well never mind, I was almost sure that was it. alternately make a copy of your mii on the 3ds and try sending the copy?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I was going to ask about what you just editted in. I had issues until I did that :(.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

You can use it to play virtual console game for Wii U. Not the old ones for Wii.

With the odd twist that you can use the gamepad to start up Wii mode, then use a wiimote+cc to navigate the Wii menu to play any of the old VC games.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

What's the track record been so far with the performance of these discounted refurbished consoles? I got my Wii used and it runs fine, so I'm optimistic about a $150 savings even if there's only like three games out for the thing.

General thread opinion has been that they're barely used, a few scratches if anything and they work just as well as a new Wii U.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGsXGy9ZvIs

Treehouse is on.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since someone mentioned the YT app was pretty good on the WiiU I decided to try it out. General UI issues aside, is there really no way to turn the gamepad off? That kind of sucks.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

I'll always like NSMB for this level :allears:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I really wish they used that art for more than one level and one challenge level.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
The guy playing the level in that youtube link was so bad at the game it was kind of hard to watch for me :gonk:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Elliotw2 posted:

I really wish they used that art for more than one level and one challenge level.

I immediately knew what it was going to be when you said this. Because it's very true.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

If you're moving a Mii that's associated with a Nintendo Network ID, I believe you need to do this process: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1670

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

homeless snail posted:

It could be an NNID issue if you have it linked to the account. This sounds stupid, but could you double check if you already have the Mii on your Wii U? You might already have to Mii.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello friends, just popping in to say that I've had this system since February and only just now realized there was a stylus in the gamepad well bye :downs:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

deafmute posted:

I'll always like NSMB for this level :allears:

This level is so odd because most of the game is the same kind of bland NSMB look and then, BAM, Van Gogh level, and then it goes right back to the same old bland stuff.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If I get a WiiU will it retroactively give me $5 for all the 3ds digital games I bought or is that offer only if you buy WiiU games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only Wii U games, sorry.

• Locked thread