Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

twoot posted:

A surprising number of folk seem to think that the border is Hadrian's wall, like Rory Stewart who wanted 100k people to join hands along it as a sign of solidarity with Scotland.

I'm sure that Scotland will graciously accept Carlisle, half of Newcastle, and everything in-between.
We'll take Newcastle, but you can keep Carlisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Wrong thread.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

twoot posted:

A surprising number of folk seem to think that the border is Hadrian's wall, like Rory Stewart who wanted 100k people to join hands along it as a sign of solidarity with Scotland.
A chilling vision of things to come:

There is a lot of dispute over exactly how permeable the original Wall was - there were certainly forts and settlements to the north of it.

Party Boat's house would almost certainly have been demolished however :getin:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I live on a council estate. The fuckers wouldn't dare.

actually it's really nice around here and my neighbours are lovely

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pissflaps posted:

You still haven't told me why you think I'm racist?

Probably because of the way you clutch your purse tighter when you pass black people in the street

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

So which country do I owe my sporting loyalty to? Also I'm sure glad we built that stable democracy in Iraq that totally isn't crumbling as I type.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JoylessJester posted:

So which country do I owe my sporting loyalty to?

Which one do you identify with most strongly? And can you cook any of its cuisine?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

JoylessJester posted:

So which country do I owe my sporting loyalty to? Also I'm sure glad we built that stable democracy in Iraq that totally isn't crumbling as I type.

Since it's coming home, you may as well pre-emptively jump on the England bandwagon.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

JoylessJester posted:

Also I'm sure glad we built that stable democracy in Iraq that totally isn't crumbling as I type.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that we may have made a mistake by leaving. Then again that would be on the presumption that we could fix the instability we caused.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Those following the hubbub over the Islamic schools in Birmingham may find this interesting - a glimpse inside a Christian fundamentalist school and its curriculum on the Beeb.

Edit: A bit of relief for civil liberties - the Court of Appeal has stopped the first fully-secret trial, proposing some form of compromise:

quote:

In their decision, judges said that the trial of the two men was of an exceptional nature and the core of it must be held in private. But they added that they had "grave concerns" about the cumulative effect of anonymising defendants and holding the hearings in secret.

quote:

"We express grave concern as to the cumulative effects of holding a criminal trial in camera and anonymising the defendants. We find it difficult to conceive of a situation where both departures from open justice will be justified.”

Lord Justice Gross

The judges said that the media and public would be allowed to attend the swearing-in of the jury, parts of the prosecution's introductory remarks setting out the case, the verdicts and, where there are convictions, the sentencing.

The court added that a small number of journalists could be allowed to attend the closed parts of the trial, subject to agreement relating to the confidentiality of the proceedings. Their notes would be securely stored until the end of the trial.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 12, 2014

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JoylessJester posted:

So which country do I owe my sporting loyalty to?

Most of UKer's support the 'anyone as long as it's not England' country, as TV gets unbearably shite when they crow about the slightest win of anything.

For example, win one loving event and you are a 'National Treasure' until the end of time.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 12, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Prince John posted:

Those following the hubbub over the Islamic schools in Birmingham may find this interesting - a glimpse inside a Christian fundamentalist school and its curriculum on the Beeb.

Jonny Scaramanga from this article is on Radio 2 today with Jeremy Vine, nice chap with some horrid stories about his childhood. I met him at QED this year and he won an award for his blog where people can send in stories of their religious education horrors.

http://leavingfundamentalism.wordpress.com/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It seems the Sun forgot to include a legally required imprint on their free copies of the Sun, the fine for which is £50-200 per copy. Tom Watson has written to the Royal Mail and Attorney General about it, so it'll interesting to see where that goes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My father came from a rather fundamental Hindu family and I guess it's kind of lucky he managed to escape. His parents completely disowned him for marrying my mother, a Roma woman, to the point where even when he was dying of cancer they wouldn't reconnect and didn't even go to his funeral. Me and my brother still have grandparents that refuse to acknowledge our existence.

It's very hosed up in pretty much all religions.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Brown Moses posted:

It seems the Sun forgot to include a legally required imprint on their free copies of the Sun, the fine for which is £50-200 per copy. Tom Watson has written to the Royal Mail and Attorney General about it, so it'll interesting to see where that goes.

Does this mean I might not get my copy? I was looking forward to RTSing it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Blimey, I wondered where that came from this morning. I thought my partner had a mental moment and subscribed or something, I was about to skype her and ask. Yeah its got the staple holes on the back and no imprint. Its a bit light-weight (well duh) but even more than usual. And no page 3 tits :(

It does say free on the front and I love the montage of faces featuring such epic humans as ant and dec, the queen and jerermy clarkson with the headline 'THIS IS OUR ENGLAND" ... great

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

thehustler posted:

Jonny Scaramanga from this article is on Radio 2 today with Jeremy Vine, nice chap with some horrid stories about his childhood. I met him at QED this year and he won an award for his blog where people can send in stories of their religious education horrors.

http://leavingfundamentalism.wordpress.com/

Cool, I didn't know about QED. Is it this event?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Brown Moses posted:

This will be solid comedy gold if it comes off.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They broke the law. If they don't pay the price it will be against every fundamental British value that Gove wants to teach at schools. Fair play, respect for the law and all that.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Here we go http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jun/11/sun-world-cup-2014

Its got brucie, ant and dec, her maj, the purple one from the teletubbies, del boy a couple of toff's in the middle i dont recognise and chris evens!

"THIS IS OUR ENGLAND"

e: Just noticed Mr Bean down there as well!

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 12, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Haha, wow. I've never been more depressed to be English, if that's the best we can come up with.

EDIT: Apparently Steven Gerrard is on there, I'm sure the cousin of the youngest Hillsborough victim would love to be on the front page of the sun.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 12, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Here we go http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jun/11/sun-world-cup-2014

Its got brucie, ant and dec, her maj, the purple one from the teletubbies, del boy a couple of toff's in the middle i dont recognise and chris evens!

"THIS IS OUR ENGLAND"

Independence now.

Does James Corden donate to the Tory party? Because that's the only thing I could come up with to explain his media saturation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Looks like for the first time in forever (there'll be music, there'll be light), most of the thread will Agree With Nick:

Nick Clegg Is Looking Forward To Watching Boris Johnson Get Blasted By A Water Cannon posted:

Nick Clegg has said he is looking forward to watching Boris Johnson get blasted by a water cannon, as he condemned the London Mayor for controversially buying three for the Metropolitan Police at a cost of £218,000.

The deputy prime minister declined an invitation to join Johnson in front of the water jets, joking that the prospect of seeing the Mayor blasted was "at least one silver lining for people like me who don't think they should be here in the first place".

"I'm looking forward to the consumer test," said the Liberal Democrat leader. "I'll be selling the tickets."

Labour and the Liberal Democrats have condemned the water cannon purchase as "reckless", insisting there is not enough evidence that the tactic is effective in maintaining order.

Speaking to LBC radio, Clegg said that water cannon are not the answer to disorder on the streets, and that it is "fanciful" to think they could have sorted out the 2011 riots.

"My own personal view is that I do not think that second-hand water cannon bought at great expense from Germany are the answer to policing the streets of London," he said.

"All of this comes from lots of understandable soul-searching after the riots about what more powers or equipment we need to give the police to deal with something like that.

"I am told that water cannon have possibly some role if you are dealing with two big crowds which you want to keep separate - football crowds that might get out of control.

"The idea that in the riots, where people are scurrying down small streets smashing windows and then rushing off - small groups moving around in a very fluid situation - the idea that great big lumbering second-hand German water cannon is somehow going to be wheeled out and sort it out is, I think, fanciful."

But Johnson - who must wait until the use of water cannon in England and Wales is approved by Home Secretary Theresa May before deploying the second-hand German vehicles - has offered to be blasted with a jet of water himself to demonstrate that is safe.

Water cannon have never been used on the British mainland, although they have been deployed in Northern Ireland.

Clegg argued the move clashes with traditional British policing principles.

"I personally think it also rubs up against the long tradition of policing by consent on London's streets.

"I think it creates a kind of embattled sense of how the police work, which I don't think is in keeping with our long policing traditions.

"The police have obviously got to make their own operational decisions, the Home Secretary needs to make her own decision."

Asked whether the presence of the cannon would deter people from joining unrest on the streets, Mr Clegg said Johnson's plan simply was not "realistic."

"For a deterrent to be effective, it's got to be usable. London is a city of small, narrow, winding streets, not just big avenues like Whitehall. A lot of the rioting took place in shopping centres. It took place in a very sporadic way.

"I just think we've got to be realistic. Getting out these lumbering, second-hand German water cannon is not going to deter someone from throwing a brick through the window of their local shop."

In February a German pensioner, blinded by a police water cannon, addressed a public meeting in London.

Dietrich Wagner was left unconscious, his eyes irreparably damaged when he took the full force of a water cannon to the face during an environmental protest in Stuttgart.

He warned: "Ever since I was hit my life has drastically changed. I can’t drive, go shopping, read or do any of the things I used to do. My message is police need to be aware that they are not just a big shower, they are lethal weapons and do serious bodily harm."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Prince John posted:

Cool, I didn't know about QED. Is it this event?

Yes, that's it. It's really cool, depending on whether the speakers are good or not. This year wasn't the best line up but it was still entertaining. I help with the AV setup after getting involved with skeptics in the pub and stuff like that.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Looks like for the first time in forever (there'll be music, there'll be light), most of the thread will Agree With Nick:

I disagree with Nick because even if it's someone you politically disagree with, being blasted by a water cannon is not fun.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/ivHPUQK.jpg

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TinTower posted:

It's pretty weird that they're always referred to there as second-hand and German. Also sentences like

Nick Clegg posted:

All of this comes from lots of understandable soul-searching after the riots about what more powers or equipment we need to give the police to deal with something like that.
make me think I don't really agree with Clegg at all. I feel like perhaps the police could have prevented the 2011 riots, but I don't think it would have involved additional powers or equipment.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Seaside Loafer posted:

"THIS IS OUR ENGLAND"

e: Just noticed Mr Bean down there as well!

Why is the Guardian rabidly humping the Sun's leg? Is it meant to be satirical?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
If I get a free copy of the Sun through the door can I wrap it around a brick and send it back at their expense?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like perhaps the police could have prevented the 2011 riots, but I don't think it would have involved additional powers or equipment.
Additional powers like the power of self-control to not beat unarmed people asking questions about a dead relative.
Additional equipment like cameras on all metropolitan police.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Too much protesting? Buy better weapons to attack protesters!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Phoon posted:

Too much protesting? Buy better weapons to attack protesters!

Can't outright kill them, so bullets are out.
Tasers are no good as one off shots.
I know, WATER CANNONS!
It loving worked in Northern Ireland, water cannons helps limit thier riots*.

*to a few days every year for the past 20 years.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Kinda surprised he didn't hold off until the microwave pain guns are available to be honest.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If I get a free copy of the Sun through the door can I wrap it around a brick and send it back at their expense?

no

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Bricks and breeze blocks are too obvious and Royal Mail will stop them. Roof tiles generally fit in a standard Large Letter though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
People sent blood and poo poo to UKIP. Royal Mail can be stand up sorts when it comes to certain cases.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Gideon's making a pretty big change to mortgage lending by giving the BoE the power to regulate the activities of retail banks: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/12/osborne-regulators-power-cap-mortgage-loans

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/12/osborne-regulators-power-cap-mortgage-loans

quote:

George Osborne will use his Mansion House speech on Thursday to give City regulators the power to cap risky mortgage loans in a bid to allay fears of a growing housing bubble.

In a dramatic move, the chancellor plans to allow the Bank of England to limit loans that could undermine the financial stability of the UK housing market.

This latest move gives the central bank draconian powers to prevent excessive lending and is likely to be seen in the City as a return to more draconian 1970s-style credit controls.

It may also be taken as a further sign that the government is expecting interest rates to rise this autumn, mostly as a way of cooling the housing market.

Initiatives to spur house building and match growing demand with an increase in the supply of homes have so far fallen flat. The mayor of London, Boris Johnson, was recently forced to admit he missed targets for housebuilding last year when only half the expected homes were completed.

Osborne will say that the housing market does not pose an immediate threat to financial stability, but that it will if prices continue to rise sharply.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I'm torn - I ought to return it, or just refuse to let the postie deliver it, but I genuinely do need to line the litter tray with something.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Galaspar posted:

I'm torn - I ought to return it, or just refuse to let the postie deliver it, but I genuinely do need to line the litter tray with something.
Take a picture of your cat making GBS threads on it, and return that instead.

Best of both worlds.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

It's a free crossword with excessive packaging, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cerv posted:

a majority of 9 is not a 'strong victory'.
it's barely workable and would have still needed Lib Dem support and/or collapsed.

Conversely, how many of those hypothetical Labour-governments-without-Scotland mentioned above would have had barely workable majorities and collapsed?

• Locked thread