Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Found this in the middle of the codebase today:

code:
float gently caress = 1.0f - ((eye.z() - 240.0f) / 200.0f);
gently caress = gently caress * gently caress * gently caress * gently caress * gently caress * gently caress * gently caress; // gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ender.uNF posted:

Watching other people (even brain surgeons) have software assault them try to use software is a painful experience.

We should take care to design software that is usable for everyone. If the user can "get it wrong", remove that avenue so they can't make a mistake. If that isn't possible, make it trivially easy to recover from the mistake.

My experiences with doctors and software have been absolutely horrendous. You'd think the same kind of thinking used for diagnosing medical conditions would transfer to being able to troubleshoot software, but it's clearly not the same kind of thinking at all.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I don't think people are stupid if they don't have a certain skill level with computers. They're usually ignorant, lazy, or busy. Many are afraid of doing something damaging by accident.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Nipplebox posted:

Many are afraid of doing something damaging by accident.
This is, from my limited experience on the helpdesk back in the day, one of the biggest things that prevented people from ever getting better at using their computers.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Nipplebox posted:

I don't think people are stupid if they don't have a certain skill level with computers. They're usually ignorant, lazy, or busy. Many are afraid of doing something damaging by accident.

Specifically, a combination of willful ignorance and learned helplessness. By refusing to make an effort at learning, people quickly determine "I don't 'get' computers so there's no point in trying". People have similar attitudes towards lots of things perceived as "difficult", but computers seem to really exacerbate it.

I think people with this attitude are making themselves stupid because of it. The decision that "this is hard, so I will never attempt to be competent with it, and instead do the bare minimum" is a conscious one, and extremely frustrating.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Has anyone here actually grown up without any real exposure to computers, and had to learn it all in their adult lives? I think most if not all of us are working with a pretty keen familiarity with the whole computer paradigm, and it's hard to imagine what it's like for people without that background.

Like with the close button example - there's a whole lot of people who'll see a red box with an X on it, and clicking something like that is the last thing they'll want to do . To people who are comfortable with computers and familiar with UI patterns, it's fairly obvious what that does, and there are other contextual clues we can use to be more certain about it - where it's positioned, what other buttons are nearby, if we expect to have a close button somewhere, etc. We also have an idea of what will happen if we hit a close button - getting a warning if it means losing data, having an option to change your mind, and exactly what it will mean if it does close straight away. How hard will it be to get back to where you were?

A lot of people just don't have that level of understanding and familiarity. They're working with something complex they don't fully understand, and they're terrified that pressing the wrong thing will make bad things happen. A big red box with X on it is a warning sign. That's why so many people break off what they're doing, and take time out of their day just to call someone with a bit of knowledge and ask them for help or advice. And that goes for people who really do make a conscious effort to learn too. There's a lot of skill and knowledge involved in knowing how to find the information you need, and be sure you've covered it. When you've grown up with it and you take it for granted, it's difficult to step back from that perspective.

Hell people have trouble with remote controls, because they don't have the mental framework established to understand the system that's being controlled. Not everyone has a general background of thinking in abstract terms. There's a whole lot of baggage with technical stuff, and people aren't stupid for never having acquired it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nipplebox posted:

I don't think that anyone has said that being able to use a computer is a requirement for intelligence

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that anyone has said that being able to use a computer is a requirement for intelligence

Uh, okay, happy to hear you don't think that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

*page of nerds complaining that users are confused by goddamn obvious things we nerds use 14 hours a day, heh*

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

It's 2014 and I still can't find the ANY key. gently caress you keyboard manufacturers!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

titaniumone posted:

Specifically, a combination of willful ignorance and learned helplessness. By refusing to make an effort at learning, people quickly determine "I don't 'get' computers so there's no point in trying". People have similar attitudes towards lots of things perceived as "difficult", but computers seem to really exacerbate it.

I think people with this attitude are making themselves stupid because of it. The decision that "this is hard, so I will never attempt to be competent with it, and instead do the bare minimum" is a conscious one, and extremely frustrating.

a lot of people don't have the time

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

ErIog posted:

This ability to reset allows for more repetition and faster mastery.

You know, I learned how to use a computer on a machine that booted in less than two seconds, had no problems with being turned off at any time (as long as you weren't writing to disk at that particular moment), and had the OS in ROM so there was nothing I could do to cause any damage to anything that I hadn't just made in the first place.

Now if you turn off the computer at random it scolds you and takes minutes to boot back up. And you can click a couple of buttons and generate a few hours of work for yourself reinstalling, or cause your computer to start breaking the law on behalf of others.

Wow, I wonder why people are afraid of computers if they're just learning them today.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Dren posted:

a lot of people don't have the time

Learning how to use something you use on a regular basis is almost never a net consumer of time.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyways... Surprised no one has posted this:

http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2014/06/11/tweetdeck-users-xss-vulnerability-means-revoke-access-now/

Apparently the teenager who found it by accident decided to tweet this to the TweetDeck account publicly so everyone knew about it. Reminiscent of the Myspace worm.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyways... Surprised no one has posted this:

http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2014/06/11/tweetdeck-users-xss-vulnerability-means-revoke-access-now/

Apparently the teenager who found it by accident decided to tweet this to the TweetDeck account publicly so everyone knew about it. Reminiscent of the Myspace worm.

Escaping user input just seems like such an absolute no-brainer that it's a little mystifying that it happens to such high profile sites.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nipplebox posted:

*page of nerds complaining that users are confused by goddamn obvious things we nerds use 14 hours a day, heh*

That has 0 to do with a person's actual intelligence. It'd be like calling someone stupid for being a bad dancer

Basically I think that we're all on the same page here, it sucks when users can't figure out an interface, and it's okay to vent about that, but being able to use computers effectively has nothing to do with that person's intelligence

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

We get it, your gimmick is to contradict your previous posts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nipplebox posted:

We get it, your gimmick is to contradict your previous posts.

Wow, you suck at reading comprehension. Maybe that's your gimmick

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

To get back to coding horrors, how about some nested for-else loops in Python. This is from code that supposed to analyze output of a learning algorithm which sorted feature values along particular dimensions. Here's what the person was trying to accomplish:
1. Check every feature value on every dimension
2. If any feature doesn't meet a threshold value, then don't bother checking any more features on that dimension
3. If #2 happened, don't check any more dimensions and return a failure code, but if every feature on every dimension meets the threshold then return success.

code:
failure = False
for dimension in dimensions:
    for feature in dimension:
        if not feature.value > threshold:
            failure = True
            break
    else:
        failure = False

if failure:
        break

else:
    return 'passed'

return 'failed'

FoiledAgain fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 13, 2014

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be like calling someone stupid for being a bad dancer

I see it more as calling someone stupid for refusing to take the time to learn to dance ... in a world where half the planet communicates via dancing.

-----

php:
<?
function initClaimInfo($trno, $myuserID=""){
    global $userid;
    global $s_carriercode, $s_custcode, $s_shipperid, $s_credate, $s_checknum;
    global $s_trackingno, $s_phone, $s_weight, $s_declaredvalue, $s_freightcharge;
    global $s_reference, $s_ref_desc, $_REQUEST;
    global $statuslist, $s_status, $s_id, $s_expdeldate;
    global $s_ackdate, $s_paiddate, $s_remark, $s_carrierclaimid, $s_reason;
    global $s_userid, $s_paidamount, $s_barcode, $s_delstatus;
    global $s_c_description, $s_c_sku, $s_c_units, $s_c_weightperunit, $s_c_totalweight;
    global $s_c_costperunit, $s_c_totalcost, $s_c_createdby, $s_c_dcr, $cntlines, $liveCount;

$s_trackingno = $trno;
    $s_userid = $myuserID ? : $userid;
    $s_carriercode=""; $s_custcode=""; $s_shipperid=""; $s_credate=""; $s_checknum="";
    $s_phone=""; $s_weight=""; $s_declaredvalue=""; $s_freightcharge="";
    $s_ref_desc="";
    $statuslist=""; $s_status=""; $s_id=""; $s_expdeldate="";
    $s_ackdate=""; $s_paiddate=""; $s_remark=""; $s_carrierclaimid=""; $s_reason="";
    $s_paidamount=""; $s_barcode=""; $s_delstatus="";
    for ($rc=1; $rc <= 5; $rc++) {
        $s_reference[$rc]="";
        $s_ref_desc[$rc]="";
    }   
}
?>
I don't even know anymore.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

Learning how to use something you use on a regular basis is almost never a net consumer of time.

The argument could be made that the system the user has to use on a daily basis is lovely if it can't cater to their needs to let them do the tasks they're paid to do as easily as possible.

One of my favorite "holy poo poo that's annoying" moment comes from stuff as simple as filling in an insurance claim form. If I go the paper way:
  • I print a copy of the form from wherever
  • I fill in the form, wondering if stuff is alright in terms of data format or meaning
  • I put the form in an envelope along with the documents required
  • I mail the envelope and wait until I get a confirmation
If I go the new fancy ways using a PDF form:
  • I download a PDF that can be edited directly using an editor
  • I have to update my PDF software to the new release because of security concerns I give no poo poo about
  • I fill in the form trying to figure out what fields are fillable or not using my tool of choice
  • I fight with validation rules that were not thought out correctly for the place I'm living in right now that I could have noted by hand anywhere on a sheet but now can't
  • I print a copy that I fill by hand and mail the old way
Or if you have fun web apps forms:
  • I log on to the site, after having forgotten my password because I only log on once every 4 months and it needed a reset anyway
  • I may get a certificate error because who knows when it had to be renewed
  • I enter the form data (which I can't save partially, or take too long to fill unless I want my session to timeout)
  • I may still fight with validation rules, but have no fallback except calling support that will tell me to eventually print a form on paper.
  • I need to scan documents of proofs using whatever format they recommend and that fits within their restrictions in terms of pages, size, filesize, etc.
  • I send press OK and wait for validation
The idea here is that while yes, each system may have the power to be much faster and more efficient than the previous one, every time I made the tech fancier and faster, I added an additional level of inconvenience that can side-track me as a user, and that has nothing to do with sending an insurance claim with proofs, or the benefits the insurance company gains from using that software. I went from "write thing, put in mail, wait 6-8 weeks" to "be aware of password policy, phishing, session timeouts, have a scanner, know formats and upload stuff, wait a lot shorter delay but might still be long depending on validation they do".

This isn't an argument in favor of the good old days of yore, but that from a user perspective, the convenience given through a more technological solution often come with an indirect cost that is irrelevant to their work area or what they need to do, and not the user's fault at all. We're bleeding issues and details of our systems into their lives, when it wasn't always like that, and arguably shouldn't.

It's not stupidity on the user's end, it's us shipping systems not always properly adapted to their users and having to deal with their grievances.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

MononcQc posted:

The argument could be made that the system the user has to use on a daily basis is lovely if it can't cater to their needs to let them do the tasks they're paid to do as easily as possible.
"as easily as possible" and "as easily as possible with zero training" are often very different things. Very often the steps backwards in usability from a superficially better new system are due to optimizing for the first-time user rather than the user who uses it on a daily basis despite it being something that doesn't get new users on a regular basis.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Requirement:

The value to be calculated is: 1 divided by 3 multiplied added to 2 divided by 3 multiplied by B. At the end round this value to nearest hundredths.

How it got implemented:

double value = round(0.33 * A + 0.66 * B)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Wow, you suck at reading comprehension. Maybe that's your gimmick

My buds in IT always have a good chuckle over those extremely stupid people using the computers. So loving stupid. It's an epidemic. *plays eve online*

canis minor
May 4, 2011

IT BEGINS posted:

I see it more as calling someone stupid for refusing to take the time to learn to dance ... in a world where half the planet communicates via dancing.

-----

php:
<?
function initClaimInfo($trno, $myuserID=""){
    global $userid;
    global $s_carriercode, $s_custcode, $s_shipperid, $s_credate, $s_checknum;
    global $s_trackingno, $s_phone, $s_weight, $s_declaredvalue, $s_freightcharge;
    global $s_reference, $s_ref_desc, $_REQUEST;
    global $statuslist, $s_status, $s_id, $s_expdeldate;
    global $s_ackdate, $s_paiddate, $s_remark, $s_carrierclaimid, $s_reason;
    global $s_userid, $s_paidamount, $s_barcode, $s_delstatus;
    global $s_c_description, $s_c_sku, $s_c_units, $s_c_weightperunit, $s_c_totalweight;
    global $s_c_costperunit, $s_c_totalcost, $s_c_createdby, $s_c_dcr, $cntlines, $liveCount;

$s_trackingno = $trno;
    $s_userid = $myuserID ? : $userid;
    $s_carriercode=""; $s_custcode=""; $s_shipperid=""; $s_credate=""; $s_checknum="";
    $s_phone=""; $s_weight=""; $s_declaredvalue=""; $s_freightcharge="";
    $s_ref_desc="";
    $statuslist=""; $s_status=""; $s_id=""; $s_expdeldate="";
    $s_ackdate=""; $s_paiddate=""; $s_remark=""; $s_carrierclaimid=""; $s_reason="";
    $s_paidamount=""; $s_barcode=""; $s_delstatus="";
    for ($rc=1; $rc <= 5; $rc++) {
        $s_reference[$rc]="";
        $s_ref_desc[$rc]="";
    }   
}
?>
I don't even know anymore.

Get out of there, get out as quickly as you can.

edit: I'm noticing more and more shittiness of this thing :allears:

HFX posted:

Requirement:

The value to be calculated is: 1 divided by 3 multiplied by A added to 2 divided by 3 multiplied by B. At the end round this value to nearest hundredths.

How it got implemented:

double value = round(0.33 * A + 0.66 * B)

I'll bite - what's wrong with this?

edit: ah... hundredths. Oh dear.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 13, 2014

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

eithedog posted:

Get out of there, get out as quickly as you can.

edit: I'm noticing more and more shittiness of this thing :allears:

I'll bite - what's wrong with this?

edit: ah... hundredths. Oh dear.

That isn't what is also wrong with it. The person writing the requirement most likely wanted [did want] the values to remain at max precision until the end. 0.33 != 1.0/3.0.

HFX fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 13, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

HFX posted:

That isn't what is also wrong with it. The person writing the requirement most likely wanted the values to remain at max precision until the end. 0.33 != 1.0/3.0.

Speaking of precision, that double is totally being used effectively.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

HFX posted:

That isn't what is also wrong with it. The person writing the requirement most likely wanted [did want] the values to remain at max precision until the end. 0.33 != 1.0/3.0.

Hmm - it all depends upon the data you're dealing with; but yes, you've got a point there.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

One of my favorite "holy poo poo that's annoying" moment comes from stuff as simple as filling in an insurance claim form. If I go the paper way:
  • I print a copy of the form from wherever
  • I fill in the form, wondering if stuff is alright in terms of data format or meaning
  • I put the form in an envelope along with the documents required
  • I mail the envelope and wait until I get a confirmation

Or in the case of me this morning:

• I try to print a copy of the form from wherever
  • Huh, why isn't it printing?
  • Try to cancel print job, not going
  • Reboot computer
  • Huh, what? Reboot printer
  • Oh, it needs a firmware update
  • ... and a driver update? What the hell?
  • PRINT YOU FUCKER
  • *22 copies of my form are finally printed*

... I don't really have a point, other than ranting about printers being terrible and wasting me an hour today. Let's all go back to pen and paper.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pen and paper is still superior to a shitload of stuff and it owns.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

MononcQc posted:

The best flowchart/diagram program is still a whiteboard and a camera.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MononcQc posted:

Typewriters were (are) awesome for being legible and clean, with the benefit of being able to type in the margins if needed.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Typewriters were (are) awesome for being legible and clean

can you not read your computer screen?

also, you can wipe the cheeto dust off your screen, I wont tell

seriously, typewriters sucked trying to talk them up is hipster bullshit

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

These poorly cross-hatched 3d cubes aren't going to draw themselves!

... I love pen and paper to take notes on, it's a lot better and quicker and easier and just more fluid than actual computer, but lord if I won't fill up the entire margins with 2nd grade quality scribbles.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Typewriters were (are) awesome for being legible and clean, with the benefit of being able to type in the margins if needed.

The typewriter is the worst of both worlds. It's not as portable and good for quick note-taking as pen and paper, and it's not quite as easy to use for legible and clean documents as a modern word processor (which lets you write in the margins with just as little effort as a typewriter, btw).

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
One of the best remote wireframing sessions a designer I work with had was when he set up a good webcam pointing at his desk and just ran a Skype session. Unfortunately there's just way too much friction to getting whatever the flavour of the month white boarding software set up with the client, when you can just point them at Skype which they usually already have, and just go lo fi from there.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Going back to the use of tech discussion up the page,

I still find people who are wizard programmers but dont even know to use Windows-P to select the monitor config - (even works on Linux)

people like to fit into small cubbyholes, for instance someone who is great at networking may suck at pc repair and the repair guy would suck at OS support etc.

Computing is All of that so you should be as happy wiring networks as coding the next uber game.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

TheresaJayne posted:

I still find people who are wizard programmers but dont even know to use Windows-P to select the monitor config - (even works on Linux)

I don't know what you're talking about here, I just tried hitting Windows-P and it did nothing at all. (on a Windows Vista machine)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It only works when you have multiple monitors connected, including, for example, attaching a projector for a presentation. It's pretty useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheresaJayne posted:

Going back to the use of tech discussion up the page,

people like to fit into small cubbyholes, for instance someone who is great at networking may suck at pc repair and the repair guy would suck at OS support etc.

Computing is All of that so you should be as happy wiring networks as coding the next uber game.

Not knowing about small shortcuts like Windows-P (and even better: Windows-Break) is not a measure of intelligence, it's a measure of just knowing various trivia like keyboard shortcuts. I will fully honestly admit that I had no idea about Windows-P before you told me (I used the Fn-F5 key with the little symbol of the monitors on it!).

Also, it doesn't work on "Linux". It works on very specific desktop environments that implement that feature. I wrote that feature in GNOME (well, the Fn-F5 variant, at least. I'll go back and add in an additional default shortcut definition for Windows-P), and I can tell you exactly when I added it, and what version it started to work in.