Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Malcolm XML posted:

welcome to COM, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
with regards to css is it better practice to try and cram everything into as little sheets as possible with lots of weird selectors or is it fine to just seperate things out into multiple sheets?

im not talking about huge amounts of stuff here

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

best practice is to get a job not involving css

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

this, but use sass and make a bunch of little sheets that all @include into your main style sheet then sass compiles and minifies that one for you

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

its....for fun :twisted:

uncurable mlady posted:

this, but use sass and make a bunch of little sheets that all @include into your main style sheet then sass compiles and minifies that one for you

hmmm, im not sure if that would work too well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Valeyard posted:

why wouldn't it? sass compilers just spit out a css file. you only use the smaller files to make your life easier (foo.global.scss, foo.timeline.scss, foo.butts.scss, foo.images.scss, etc)

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Valeyard posted:

it works very well and is much better than managing one huge stupid four-digit line master css file

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

HTML5 posted:

it works very well and is much better than managing one huge stupid four-digit line master css file

username/post combo i guess

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

HTML5 posted:

i inherited one of those monsters. 100% guaranteed there were bunches of unused or broken rules but even enumerating the pages on the site was nontrivial so no way was i going to gently caress with the css

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

i inherited one of those monsters. 100% guaranteed there were bunches of unused or broken rules but even enumerating the pages on the site was nontrivial so no way was i going to gently caress with the css

depending on how the poo poo files like that are written sometimes you can use tools like this to attempt to make understanding them LESS painful http://css2less.cc hahaha :suicide:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

with regards to css is it better practice to try and cram everything into as little sheets as possible with lots of weird selectors or is it fine to just seperate things out into multiple sheets?

im not talking about huge amounts of stuff here

In every situation you can pretty much never go wrong with Separating things out as much as is possible.

In this situation, you should strive to separate css from the things you are responsible for.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah, if you're writing css you better have tits

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
is what all the previous fuckwits were thinking, fact is ask qirex, that nigga knows poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Stringent posted:

yeah, if you're writing css you better have tits

women work the front-end and men work the back-end.

:biotruths:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

women work the front-end and men work the back-end.

:biotruths:

nah just fat people work in everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the designer writes the css you write the knockout and you meet in the middle on the markup.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mvvm ftw.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho if the designer was good he could probably write all of the markup too.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you know how sometimes in c functions wind up being replaced with macros? any way to pass a macro where a function pointer used to go?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

no, macros are text substitution. the compiler never sees them. a good library will have functions corresponding to the macros so that you can take the address

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Shaggar posted:

the designer writes the css you write the knockout and you meet in the middle on the markup.

i've worked at ad agencies for nearly 10 years now and i can safely say that more designers than not know jack poo poo about html and css and have no desire to learn anything outside of PS, AI and ID (though there was a designer at my last agency who swore by Fireworks for web layouts lol). plus i get paid a really stupid amount of money to write and fix css all day long. no complaints here

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

I am a developer and that's why I put in those qualifiers. While I certainly wouldn't be so flippant were I actually quoting/scheduling time for the project, I feel that my argument is sound. If the code is written with this hero/victim select idea in mind in the first place, it really, honestly shouldn't be any more code or development effort.

Let's look at the dialogs as an example.
You've got all of the text dialog stored in memory somewhere. Instead of displaying static text ("he," "she"), you just always substitute in the heroPronoun/heroName/kidnapeeName/kidnapeePronoun variable, as appropriate, instead. It takes the same time and effort to write the dialogs. The same time to write the code. Since it's a simply a lookup it's an O(1) executional complexity, so it's not even a noticable change in cycle time. Finally, it's (basically) the same storage space in memory: rather than a dialog having "he" or "she" hardcoded in in text, instead it's your replacement escape character (say, 0x02) followed by the lookup code (say, enum.pronoun.heroPresent, which could be 0x01 or something similar). Still two bytes (assuming they're using ASCII or UTF-8, that is, otherwise it would be even less storage than hard-coding "he" in Unicode).

But you're right that I don't know what the actual source looks like for modern Zelda games. Maybe you've even got insight that I don't. But I do know what's trivially easy with modern programming languages, and this idea is one of them.

However, as I feel it's a derail and I don't need to fight over being right or wrong on the internet, that's all I'll say on the subject. Thanks so much though for getting on my case about it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
speaking of web "development" i just finished a terrible hack to get cookie information when cross domain requests are posted via XDomainRequest

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dazjw posted:

I am a developer and that's why I put in those qualifiers. While I certainly wouldn't be so flippant were I actually quoting/scheduling time for the project, I feel that my argument is sound. If the code is written with this hero/victim select idea in mind in the first place, it really, honestly shouldn't be any more code or development effort.

Let's look at the dialogs as an example.
You've got all of the text dialog stored in memory somewhere. Instead of displaying static text ("he," "she"), you just always substitute in the heroPronoun/heroName/kidnapeeName/kidnapeePronoun variable, as appropriate, instead. It takes the same time and effort to write the dialogs. The same time to write the code. Since it's a simply a lookup it's an O(1) executional complexity, so it's not even a noticable change in cycle time. Finally, it's (basically) the same storage space in memory: rather than a dialog having "he" or "she" hardcoded in in text, instead it's your replacement escape character (say, 0x02) followed by the lookup code (say, enum.pronoun.heroPresent, which could be 0x01 or something similar). Still two bytes (assuming they're using ASCII or UTF-8, that is, otherwise it would be even less storage than hard-coding "he" in Unicode).

But you're right that I don't know what the actual source looks like for modern Zelda games. Maybe you've even got insight that I don't. But I do know what's trivially easy with modern programming languages, and this idea is one of them.

However, as I feel it's a derail and I don't need to fight over being right or wrong on the internet, that's all I'll say on the subject. Thanks so much though for getting on my case about it.

source youre quotes

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Bloody posted:

source youre quotes

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=430899401#post430899401 zelda thread in games, discussing how easy, coding-wise, it'd be to make zelda have interchangeable hero/damsel roles for the characters

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
foreign languages?? never heard of them

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

dazjw posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=430899401#post430899401 zelda thread in games, discussing how easy, coding-wise, it'd be to make zelda have interchangeable hero/damsel roles for the characters

you missed the italics. those really brought the post together

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this one's just as good

Blasphemeral posted:

I wonder why they don't just have a screen at the start of the next game:

Which hero would you like?
[Link] [Zelda] [Impa] [Groose]
They're all in badass poses like, "bring it!"

After you select one, let's say you picked Groose, it gives you a second screen:

Who has been kidnapped?
[Link] [Zelda] [Impa]
They all have a scared, "help me!" look, or maybe they're tied up in rope Snydley Whiplash-style.

After you select one, the story starts. It swaps the name/pronouns for the hero and kidnapee, and the non-selected ones show up as secondary characters.

It's like, zero extra programming as long as they've got decent coders on their team.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh lord but he's arguing with zaphod42, the worst poster on the forums

close Games

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yes, the string changes are the hardest part of all of this

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
he's just a really guru developer that's why he doesn't post here in the terrible programmer safe zone

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so we're all agreed, having literally interchangeable main characters is a good idea. but how hard would it be to program it?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Werthog 95 posted:

close Games

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FamDav posted:

yes, the string changes are the hardest part of all of this

If your programming experience is rpg maker then yeah i can see how you might think that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

what i've learned from this is that i can just post 0x0FARTS and people in games will believe that i know what i'm talking about

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

dazjw posted:

admitting to reading a Zelda thread is a helluva a sacrifice, thanks for taking one for the team

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

two words

star

citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

admitting to reading a Zelda thread is a helluva a sacrifice, thanks for taking one for the team

the real sacrifice is the part where he actually reads a zelda thread

• Locked thread