Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I guess someone has already opened a foil black lotus although the MTGO twitter account didn't specifically say who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

rabidsquid posted:

I guess someone has already opened a foil black lotus although the MTGO twitter account didn't specifically say who.

Do foils even demand a premium on cards you can't do a set redemption for? They're rarer, sure, but unlike actual card foils I don't think they look any nicer than the standard version.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nibble posted:

Do foils even demand a premium on cards you can't do a set redemption for? They're rarer, sure, but unlike actual card foils I don't think they look any nicer than the standard version.

Are you telling me someone won't pay >1k to say they own a foil black lotus?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nibble posted:

Someone is going to shell out a premium for foil P9 because it's the only place you can possibly get it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nibble posted:

Do foils even demand a premium on cards you can't do a set redemption for?

lmao

Yes, especially a foil loving Black Lotus.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Bugsy posted:

In Karn's grand tour of the multiverse with Jeska he left the phyrexian oil where they went. On Mirrodin the nature of the metal plane and the mycosynth greatly accelerated the process.
Eagerly waiting for a future storyline where Phyrexians from all over the multiverse join forces.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

I've also learned Breakfast Burrito goes by another name: "Oops, All Spells!"
:allears:

I believe that's the name that some SCG writer used when he blatantly stole the deck idea.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I believe that's the name that some SCG writer used when he blatantly stole the deck idea.

Jesus Christ you can spout off all the nonsense you want about the deck being playable but while Adam Prosak is the one who wrote about the deck as Oops All Spells he did not post it without attribution to someone else who piloted it

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25582_Unveiling-Oops-All-Spells.html

Bottom has a goon posting about breakfast burrito.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

Jesus Christ you can spout off all the nonsense you want about the deck being playable but while Adam Prosak is the one who wrote about the deck as Oops All Spells he did not post it without attribution to someone else who piloted it

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25582_Unveiling-Oops-All-Spells.html

Bottom has a goon posting about breakfast burrito.

That's pretty much a verbatim quote from the OP in the Eternal thread:

"There's even a budget deck conceived by our own AATREK CURES KIDS called Breakfast Burrito that some helpful fuckers at StarCityGames stole, made worse, and renamed 'oops all spells' because they are idiots."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

That's pretty much a verbatim quote from the OP in the Eternal thread:

"There's even a budget deck conceived by our own AATREK CURES KIDS called Breakfast Burrito that some helpful fuckers at StarCityGames stole, made worse, and renamed 'oops all spells' because they are idiots."

The fact that said deck is a highlight of the eternal thread's OP should really bring into light the question of the Eternal Thread's neutrality and legitimacy on the issue.

But by all means perpetuate the reasons that goons won't stay with playing legacy. I'm not really here to discuss the actual effectiveness or lack thereof of the deck, but if you're going to quote a goon source as opposed to actually look at real attribution (a blog where the guy posted a list using undercity informer literally the day the card was spoiled), then you're probably doing something wrong.

Personally, I don't care if Oops All Spells or Breakfast Burrito was the original deck, but if you're going to quote the Eternal Thread as an authority for anything Eternal Format related then I'm going to have to suggest you really work on getting better sources of information with regards to Eternal formats.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 12, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

The fact that said deck is a highlight of the eternal thread's OP should really bring into light the question of the Eternal Thread's neutrality and legitimacy on the issue.

But by all means perpetuate the reasons that goons won't stay with playing legacy.

In case it wasn't obvious, I have no loving clue what you're talking about.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

Silly Streamer NumotTheNummy is playing a Post deck for Vintage Masters packs.

He just got blown out by every goon's favorite Legacy deck. That's right: Breakfast Burrito.

It was loving hilarious.

:allears:

I've been playing some BB in the 2-mans, I'm 9 and 9 right now. I can play a match every 7 minutes, and I'm winning an average of 1 tix per match. Not a great wage but it's fun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

In case it wasn't obvious, I have no loving clue what you're talking about.

I'm saying stop spreading the idea that it was stolen, which is hyperbole at best. The idea of Undercity Informer / Balustrade Spy as a combo engine has existed since the card was released. The other deck name may refer to a worse build, but calling it stolen is kind of insulting to one of the best writers SCG has had, one of the better Eternal writers who used to be out there, and who now works for R&D.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I like the name "Oops, All Spells!" better anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

I'm saying stop spreading the idea that it was stolen, which is hyperbole at best. The idea of Undercity Informer / Balustrade Spy as a combo engine has existed since the card was released. The other deck name may refer to a worse build, but calling it stolen is kind of insulting to one of the best writers SCG has had, one of the better Eternal writers who used to be out there, and who now works for R&D.

I have/had no reason to assume the Eternal Thread was in fact, lying. I'd tell you to relax, but I can't wait for your report on what Brian Kibler had for lunch last Wedensday. :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I have/had no reason to assume the Eternal Thread was in fact, lying. I'd tell you to relax, but I can't wait for your report on what Brian Kibler had for lunch last Wedensday. :allears:

Actually, Zoness is right. The deck wasn't stolen, multiple people had similar ideas when Undercity Informer and Balustrade Spy got spoiled. Oldsrocket77 and I were looking into builds of the deck even before both those cards were known. We know it wasn't plagiarized because Prosak's early build differed from the early goon build, and if he was following the thread he'd understand why his build is worse than ours and would modify it accordingly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Actually, Zoness is right. The deck wasn't stolen, multiple people had similar ideas when Undercity Informer and Balustrade Spy got spoiled. Oldsrocket77 and I were looking into builds of the deck even before both those cards were known. We know it wasn't plagiarized because Prosak's early build differed from the early goon build, and if he was following the thread he'd understand why his build is worse than ours and would modify it accordingly.

I'm not saying he isn't right, I'm saying he's going on about it as though its some kind of evil plan to not give credit to some other guy. If the OP in the Eternal thread is actually wrong, then so am I since all I really did was parrot what it says.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 12, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not saying he isn't right, I'm saying he's being insufferable about it as though its some kind of evil plan to not give credit to some other guy. If the OP in the Eternal thread is actually wrong, then so am I since all I really did was parrot what it says.

You're misreading it but I'll spoil the actual issue I've been beating the bush around:

I actually think the Eternal Thread's OP is belligerently uninformative, and that particular part of the post was my latching point since it's utter hyperbole and even somewhat slanderous and that people will emptyquote it as fact is problematic. I think BB has a valuable place as a point of theorycraft for what is possible in Legacy and that AATREK CURES KIDS (aka Chamale) / Oldsrocket / other contributors have done good work in tuning the list conceptually but in no way do I think it is a way of getting into the format since piloting it can lead players to abandon legacy before giving other strategies in the format a fair shake - and for a couple of reasons:

1. There are complex lines of play.
2. There isn't really a resilient alternate line if your combo doesn't go off, see this vs elves or dredge
3. As a combo deck it exists to dodge some means of interaction already, and legacy is actually a very interaction-rich format where you can hardcast Emrakul.

But I mean, sure, feel free to present it as some kind of idolatry towards a handful of writers (even though I referred to one writer).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 12, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

You're misreading it but I'll spoil the actual issue I've been beating the bush around:

I actually think the Eternal Thread's OP is belligerently uninformative, and that particular part of the post was my latching point since it's utter hyperbole and even somewhat slanderous and that people will emptyquote it as fact is problematic. I think BB has a valuable place as a point of theorycraft for what is possible in Legacy and that AATREK CURES KIDS (aka Chamale) / Oldsrocket / other contributors have done good work in tuning the list conceptually but in no way do I think it is a way of getting into the format since piloting it can lead players to abandon legacy before giving other strategies in the format a fair shake - and for a couple of reasons:

2. There isn't really a resilient alternate line if your combo doesn't go off, see this vs elves or dredge
3. As a combo deck it exists to dodge some means of interaction already, and legacy is actually a very interaction-rich format where you can hardcast Emrakul.

But I mean, sure, feel free to present it as some kind of idolatry towards a handful of writers (even though I referred to one writer).

I realize this is the internet, but when someone says you are right, you don't need to post a lengthy follow up on why you are extra right.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

1. You are loving insufferable, Jesus H. Christ. It is a cheap joke, everybody hates SCG. Adam Prosak's honor does not need defending.
2. A thousand times more goons are turned away from legacy by the price of duals/forces/jaces than they are by the popularity of this obtuse, inexpensive, roll-the-dice combo deck.
3. If you don't like the OP of the Eternal thread, maybe go bitch over there instead?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
since when does everybody hate scg?

And actively advising people to play a fairly terrible combo deck as a viable option in legacy is pretty poor form.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrBling posted:

And actively advising people to play a fairly terrible combo deck as a viable option in legacy is pretty poor form.

This guy knows what's up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Holy poo poo when did gatherer change appearance?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Stab posted:

Today. It still doesn't work for poo poo, though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Stab posted:

Just a bit ago apparently. It was completely normal this morning. Now it looks like it's designed around mobile viewing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MrBling posted:

It's hella fun, and the deck for winning the game early, but I won't endorse it as a great deck to win tournaments. It's a budget option, not a Tier 1 deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Today. It still doesn't work for poo poo, though.

I guess the black theme is easier on the eyes, but otherwise it just looks different to be different.

Odd that they have Vintage Masters up, but they didn't bother to include the art and frames which are what seem to be actually used in Vintage Masters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

Just a bit ago apparently. It was completely normal this morning. Now it looks like it's designed around mobile viewing.

I will confirm that it works wonderfully for mobile viewing. Phone posting ATM and thanks for the heads up. I'm still baffled that people still use their PCs for the internet. Game stores posting event calendars on non-mobile friendly formats is really dumb too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess the black theme is easier on the eyes, but otherwise it just looks different to be different.

Odd that they have Vintage Masters up, but they didn't bother to include the art and frames which are what seem to be actually used in Vintage Masters.

Well hell, none of the Masters Edition I - IV cards show the MTGO art yet.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

MrBling posted:

I don't think anyone ever claimed it was a great deck- just that it's decent for what it costs to build.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Well hell, none of the Masters Edition I - IV cards show the MTGO art yet.

I think the Masters Edition cards have the original art, don't they?

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

vOv posted:

I like the name "Oops, All Spells!" better anyway.

This. I'm on board with deck names actually being descriptive of what the deck is or does.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Deck names with commas in them are worse than {Color}/{Color} {Archetype}

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Kasonic posted:

Has there ever been another deck with a comma in the name?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the Masters Edition cards have the original art, don't they?

Do they? I know on gatherer they all show up as pictures of the original edition cards, goofy templating and all. Which can't possibly be how they show up on modo, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kraus posted:

This. I'm on board with deck names actually being descriptive of what the deck is or does.

gently caress that, food/music names all the way. Or out-of-place pop culture references- I can't remember who built it but someone made some noise at a big Standard event right after BNG came out with a BG list called He Went To Jarad :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Do they? I know on gatherer they all show up as pictures of the original edition cards, goofy templating and all. Which can't possibly be how they show up on modo, right?

I believe that they all have the original art and frame, but the text is whatever the oracle text is, which is how every card on MODO is (since the text isn't actually fixed).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

gently caress that, food/music names all the way. Or out-of-place pop culture references- I can't remember who built it but someone made some noise at a big Standard event right after BNG came out with a BG list called He Went To Jarad :allears:

I actually fell in love with the Oops! All Spells name when I realized that Oops! All Berries is in fact a breakfast food. For some definition of "breakfast".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kasonic posted:

They're still better than {random in-joke/nonsensical reference}, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

C-Euro posted:

IIRC that was in Albuquerque, during February, and Conley Woods was showcasing a BG graveyard deck involving Jarad, DRS, and other stuff.

Elyv posted:

They're still better than {random in-joke/nonsensical reference}, though.
Why do you hate fun?

• Locked thread