Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pacheeco posted:

It used to be in 6e that you had to have 50% of your units on the table at the start of the game, save for units that must always start in Reserve like flyers, drop pods, etc; those units aren't included as part of the 50%. I can't find anywhere in the 7e rulebook though that states an exact number/percentage or that this limitation even exists anymore. The only thing it says is "When deploying their armies, players can choose not to deploy some of their units, keeping them as Reserves to arrive later" (p.135). So I guess some isn't all but it's also not a defined number? There's no separation between "models that must start in reserve" and "models that can start in reserve" for purposes of deployment anymore.

correct, you may now keep your entire force in reserve if you please. However, if you end a game turn with nothing on the battlefield you still lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cataphract posted:

correct, you may now keep your entire force in reserve if you please. However, if you end a game turn with nothing on the battlefield you still lose.

Dat conversion. And that's all I needed to know - if I end up going second I'll simply reserve everyhting, so the gun dreads walk in from a table edge while my pods do their thing. If I go first I'll just start the gundreads in a nice firebase and drop the dreads in the usual pattern - typically I try to aim them in a neat cluster on one flank of the opponent's army and torch a key unit or two.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Full Drop Pod armies are kind of crazy good. You never have to worry about Auto losing due to the no models on the board rule and you don't have to leave anything on the board so, just always give the first turn to your opponent cause basically they get to "move". That's it.

I played against a Marneus Calgar drop pod army it was not pleasant or interesting. Also, their launchers can now fire that stupid template when they land.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Full Drop Pod armies are kind of crazy good. You never have to worry about Auto losing due to the no models on the board rule and you don't have to leave anything on the board so, just always give the first turn to your opponent cause basically they get to "move". That's it.

I played against a Marneus Calgar drop pod army it was not pleasant or interesting. Also, their launchers can now fire that stupid template when they land.

It gives you time to move into advantageous positions/cover and secure/score objectives in the meanwhile. There's quite a few Tactical Objectives that are insanely easy to accomplish with a full turn of no opposition. "Get a d3 Victory Points if you control more than double the number of objectives as your opponent? Got one to zero, check." :smug:

Not saying it's not good (it is), but there are a few downsides in addition to potentially scattering off the table and dying in a screaming crash.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Yeah my Orks would LOVE to play against full drop pods.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah it has its disadvantages but it did get a serious buff with being able to do it with more than 50% of your army.

After playing with the "mission" cards, the people I play with went down to two and then we just removed the stupid Psychic Ones and other dumb poo poo. Made it a lot more fun.

Having 3 and then getting all 3 on the first turn by your opponent sucks. I lost a game like 11 - 4 it was ridiculous.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

My Tau as I currently have them planned not quite so much, as drop pods take away turns of shooting you from nice and far away!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
But nothing is quite as grand as a riptide with interceptor dropping a pieplate on the drop poded unit before they can do anything; possibly clipping and taking out the pod itself, too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone know anything about how weirdboyz are going to work in the new codex? I have two of them that I've lovingly converted and I would just be tickled pink if they turned out to not be the worst psykers in the game anymore.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

But nothing is quite as grand as a riptide with interceptor dropping a pieplate on the drop poded unit before they can do anything; possibly clipping and taking out the pod itself, too.

That is very, very true. Riptides are awesome.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ignite Memories posted:

Does anyone know anything about how weirdboyz are going to work in the new codex? I have two of them that I've lovingly converted and I would just be tickled pink if they turned out to not be the worst psykers in the game anymore.

Orks aren't humans, so don't hold your breath. But hey, at least orks aren't tyranids. Am I right?:heysexy:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Ignite Memories posted:

I don't think anything is out on them yet but I'm hoping right along with ya.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ignite Memories posted:

I'd be happy if they had access to the old tower again. A psychic tesla-coil powered by sheer orkiness would tickle me pink.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

It gives you time to move into advantageous positions/cover and secure/score objectives in the meanwhile. There's quite a few Tactical Objectives that are insanely easy to accomplish with a full turn of no opposition. "Get a d3 Victory Points if you control more than double the number of objectives as your opponent? Got one to zero, check." :smug:

Not saying it's not good (it is), but there are a few downsides in addition to potentially scattering off the table and dying in a screaming crash.

One is not the double of zero. /grognard.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

high six posted:

One is not the double of zero. /grognard.

It's MORE than the double of zero, though! Infinitely more!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Esser-Z posted:

It's MORE than the double of zero, though! Infinitely more!

I'm reasonably sure the card mentions that you still need to control at least two objectives to qualify.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
2 isn't twice as many as zero either! In fact, if your oponent has none you can techincally never get the double bonus.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

I'd love if units of boyz over a certain size gave you additional warpcharge dice like they did in fantasy (still do? I haven't played in years).

My guess is we'll get an ork table and it will be ok; have 1 or 2 awesome powers but a few duds that are very context sensitive.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lungboy posted:

2 isn't twice as many as zero either! In fact, if your oponent has none you can techincally never get the double bonus.

It says MORE THAN twice as many. 2x0=0. 2 > 0. Ergo, you score.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cataphract posted:

I'd love if units of boyz over a certain size gave you additional warpcharge dice like they did in fantasy (still do? I haven't played in years).

My guess is we'll get an ork table and it will be ok; have 1 or 2 awesome powers but a few duds that are very context sensitive.

I'd be fine if weirdboyz were a 1-3 choice or something, that didn't take up a force org chart, similar to how techmarines work in the SM book.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really hope there's just generally more oddboyz in the new codex.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm just hoping Orks are pretty good in general. I rather like them, and I've already started a (display) waaaagh. I mean, dey wuz made for fightin' and winnin', after all!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

I'm just hoping Orks are pretty good in general. I rather like them, and I've already started a (display) waaaagh. I mean, dey wuz made for fightin' and winnin', after all!

I'm optimistic. The current codex isn't too terrible, all things considered so I don't think we'll come out too poorly.

If a lot of it stays the same but points come down on a few things (bikes, nobs, nobs on bikes) I'd be happy.

I hope lootas don't get nerfed, I just painted 16 of them. The pseudo fleet that they're getting looks like a decent enough rule. The big gunz look good, the gorkamorka is a bit pricey but still not a complete write off.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished off my fourth and hopefully final 10-man Tactical Space Marine unit. I need to do touch-ups on my original unit I painted years ago, but it's finally time to move onto vehicles.

Half of my Drop Pod unit, the Istvaan Remembrancers (the other half has a meltagun). They each have the main plate of their backpacks painted black to remember the treachery that can befall those that turn their backs for a moment, even to an ally.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Indolent Bastard posted:

Orks aren't humans, so don't hold your breath. But hey, at least orks aren't tyranids. Am I right?:heysexy:

hey you loving idiot the two best armies in the game right now are tau and eldar apparently closely followed by daemon spam and before that it was necrons

The notion that GW intentionally overpowers humans is the most irritating loving thing because it is blatantly wrong

I'm sorry I called you a loving idiot I was briefly upset. Not sorry enough to fix it before I hit post but Jesus man

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Quick question since I don't have a 7th ed rulebook just yet:

Have the rules for Ordnance and Heavy vehicles changed at all? In particular, can I fire the battle cannon on a Leman Russ and still fire the sponsons, or hull mounted weapon? Or would they just be snap shots still?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Sir Teabag posted:

Have the rules for Ordnance and Heavy vehicles changed at all? In particular, can I fire the battle cannon on a Leman Russ and still fire the sponsons, or hull mounted weapon? Or would they just be snap shots still?

Nope.

LOL.
(snap shots only)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Twisted posted:

Amen brother. If you're going to use a gimmick list, have the drat gimmick assembled and painted and then at least it looks nice.

I'm pretty much cool with proxies as long as the player keeps them straight. This guy has a plasma gun, not a melta gun like the model is equipped for example.

But if its going to give you a huge advantage, no. You need to have the models. I probably wouldn't even accept proxied models for a daemon spam list.

There was a guy waaaaay back in the mists of time that came to our gaming group who played Undead when it was VCs and TKs, and he would constantly try to do that. "Oh I summoned 12 skeletons, I only have 7 left, so I'm just going to put down a dice marked 5 to remember I have more". Most people shut up down saying no, but some people were too nice to say no and he would have dozens of skeletons on the field with out actually having any models.

A snap shot is better than no shot, and people act like Snap shots are devastating their elite CC units during over watch fire.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Nope.

LOL.
(snap shots only)

When Weird Boys first came out it allowed Orks to get a "Wauugh"-like move every turn. Then, 6th happened and it became irrelevant.

Leman Russ tanks have that rule that lets them fire sponsons along with ordnance, now all vehicles get to do it but the Leman Russ still snap fires. Huh.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Sir Teabag posted:

Heavy vehicles: "Heavy vehicles can never move faster than Combat Speed and can never move Flat Out....For the purposes of determining which weapons a Heavy vehicle can fire (and at what Ballistic Skill), Heavy vehicles are always treated as having remained Stationary."

Stationary shooting: "A vehicle that remained Stationary can fire all of its weapons (remember that pivoting on the spot does not count as moving)."

Ordnance Weapons and Vehicles: "Unlike other units, vehicles can move and fire with Ordnance weapons. However, a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make Snap Shots with its other weapons that turn. A vehicle that moved at Cruising Speed can still Snap Shoot Ordnance, but of course, cannot fire any Ordnance weapon that cannot be fired as Snap Shots."

I was curious too so I looked it up. Looks like you can move that tank 6" and fire the battle cannon no problem, but everything else is a Snap Shot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

When Weird Boys first came out it allowed Orks to get a "Wauugh"-like move every turn. Then, 6th happened and it became irrelevant.

Leman Russ tanks have that rule that lets them fire sponsons along with ordnance, now all vehicles get to do it but the Leman Russ still snap fires. Huh.

They're just heavy vehicles now. No more "Lumbering Behemoth" or whatever the old rule was called (it was FAQed to just be a heavy vehicle even then, though in 6th).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Being heavy doesn't do much for battle tanks or demolishers, but for the punisher, it's a huge boon.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Squifferific posted:

Heavy vehicles: "Heavy vehicles can never move faster than Combat Speed and can never move Flat Out....For the purposes of determining which weapons a Heavy vehicle can fire (and at what Ballistic Skill), Heavy vehicles are always treated as having remained Stationary."

Stationary shooting: "A vehicle that remained Stationary can fire all of its weapons (remember that pivoting on the spot does not count as moving)."

Ordnance Weapons and Vehicles: "Unlike other units, vehicles can move and fire with Ordnance weapons. However, a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make Snap Shots with its other weapons that turn. A vehicle that moved at Cruising Speed can still Snap Shoot Ordnance, but of course, cannot fire any Ordnance weapon that cannot be fired as Snap Shots."

I was curious too so I looked it up. Looks like you can move that tank 6" and fire the battle cannon no problem, but everything else is a Snap Shot.

Dang, that's weak! Thanks though.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ignite Memories posted:

The most recent FAQ took away all their powers and gave them access to just some standard psyker stuff; Old Zogwort even lost his Curse :( That said, the FAQ was for the "old" codex, so here's to hoping we get some silly poo poo in the new. Most of the rumors have Orks building warp charges (WAAAUGH! charges?) off of units of a given size that the weirdboy can ostensibly then use.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sir Teabag posted:

Dang, that's weak! Thanks though.

Yup. Punishers and Executioners get the sponsons and hull gun upgrades, basic Russes and Demolishers get a single hull mounted Heavy Bolter and nothing else. I can see an argument for a Demolisher maybe getting some sponsons just so you can shoot at things beyond 24" for effect but that's in the realm of "Have you got points left over?" and not "Always do this".

So for my tanks it's:

Executioner with Sponson Plasma Cannons and Hull Lascannon (Otherwise known as my "Kill a Riptide in one turn if my luck holds out" tank)

Punisher with Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Hull Heavy Bolter, Pintle Heavy Stubber (more dakka, More Dakka, MORE DAKKA!)

Leman Russ Battle Tank with Hull Heavy Bolter (Your basic pie plate generator)

Demolisher with Hull Heavy Bolter (Maybe with Hull Heavy Bolter and Sponson Heavy Bolters if I want to project fire to 36". And actually nine shots Snap Shotted will usually give you 1-2 extra Heavy Bolter shots at a unit to maybe sweep away some survivors)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Old Zogwort even lost his Curse :(

Proof there is no god

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I haven't put a sponson on a Russ since 5th, save executioner, exterminator and punisher. I have a demolisher with the plasma cannon sponsons, but that was given to me fully assembled. Not like its hard to switch turrets.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Old Zogwort even lost his Curse :(

Menopause is tough on an old ork.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

jng2058 posted:

So for my tanks it's:

Executioner with Sponson Plasma Cannons and Hull Lascannon (Otherwise known as my "Kill a Riptide in one turn if my luck holds out" tank)

Punisher with Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Hull Heavy Bolter, Pintle Heavy Stubber (more dakka, More Dakka, MORE DAKKA!)

Leman Russ Battle Tank with Hull Heavy Bolter (Your basic pie plate generator)

Demolisher with Hull Heavy Bolter (Maybe with Hull Heavy Bolter and Sponson Heavy Bolters if I want to project fire to 36". And actually nine shots Snap Shotted will usually give you 1-2 extra Heavy Bolter shots at a unit to maybe sweep away some survivors)

I really need to redo my tanks as it's my bog standard Leman Russ that is just weirdly kitted out with Hull Lascannon and two HB sponsons and my Demolisher is bare with just the Hull HB. Feel like I should do a turret swap to make them a bit more effective but I'd have to repaint the vanilla LR completely for that purpose I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So are they ever going to release the ork codex? Has anyone seen the drat thing?

Is it coming out in July?

I don't like this new 'release all the miniatures and then the army book' thing because I'd like to see what I need to complete my army and then make any decisions.

• Locked thread