Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Cotton. Pure cotton yarns have zero give to them. They are so friggin hard to knit with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fooley posted:

I'm working on a double-knit scarf with acrylic and my thumb is KILLING me.

I'm working on a double-knit cowl in acrylic too! I've found that going extremely slow helps.

The downside is that after two weeks I'm about ten rows in. Only 46 to go! :suicide:

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is double knit hard or just fiddly? As in, is it worse than fair isle knitting?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Lata jie posted:

Is double knit hard or just fiddly? As in, is it worse than fair isle knitting?

If anything its easier. Both strands to back, knit with front color, both to front purl for back color. You don't really have to worry about tension, and of course its reversible. As long as you stick to two colors its easy.

Then, you know, htere's this guy.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
It's easier than fair-isle but about half as fast (since you're knitting two pieces at the same time, essentially).

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Amykinz posted:

Everything I've done with bulky yarn, regardless of fiber content, has left me with THE CLAW(s). Serious pain.

Same here. I thought if anything, sock yarn would make my hands curl in pain, but nope. I blame it on my tiny, tiny hands.

I just finished all the knitting, decoration, and assembly (outside of sewing in the lining) for a friend's hat done ENTIRELY in bulky yarn. It'll be a long while before I do anything above worsted weight again.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Those of you who knit shawls, do you actually wear them? Where? I'm such a mannerless "goes to the grocery store in pajama pants and ratty tshirts" kind of person outside work and a "slacks and a men's polo because they fit my linebacker shoulders better than women's stupid clothing" person at work, I just can't fathom when I would use a shawl, but I want to knit one so badly. Before I dive in too deep, what's a good beginner's lace project?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Valdara posted:

Those of you who knit shawls, do you actually wear them? Where? I'm such a mannerless "goes to the grocery store in pajama pants and ratty tshirts" kind of person outside work and a "slacks and a men's polo because they fit my linebacker shoulders better than women's stupid clothing" person at work, I just can't fathom when I would use a shawl, but I want to knit one so badly. Before I dive in too deep, what's a good beginner's lace project?

I give them as gifts a lot. For myself, I generally do smaller triangular ones and wear them in front as like a handkerchief scarf.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I wear my big lace ones out over my shoulders when I go to dinner over the weekends, fold them up and wear them as scarves when it cools off, and give a bunch of them away to people more elegant than me to wear the rest. I don't like wearing the smaller ones personally, so I usually give those away.

I like turning them into blankets, too--worsted weight on a circular shawl got me my biggest and favourite blanket for summer.

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fooley posted:

If anything its easier. Both strands to back, knit with front color, both to front purl for back color. You don't really have to worry about tension, and of course its reversible. As long as you stick to two colors its easy.

Then, you know, htere's this guy.

Thank you :) He's got a very good explanation of how it works, which is pretty much what I needed. Now all I need to do.... is spin the wool up I'm going to use to attempt this.. This is going to take a bit.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Valdara posted:

I use them either around the house or when it is a little too warm for a sweater but a bit too cold to be bare-armed, like sitting by a lake in the evening, or having supper on a terrace, for example.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Valdara posted:

I'm wearing one right now, actually :v: It's pretty rare, but I have like three women's tops I can wear a shawl with, so sometimes I break out my big one that has a pin and everything. The other two I use as neck scarves, like everyone else said.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Valdara posted:

There's a point where you (or at least I) stop giving a gently caress and wear the drat things with everything because you spent so much time on them. I at first only wore them with 'appropriate' clothing, slacks and nicer blouses, but I looked like a grandma. I started wearing them with plain t-shirts and jeans, and then with any shirt and jeans or whatever. I guess if you want a guideline, pick a color that looks good near your face, and then make a shawl that color and wear it with an outfit you can see yourself wearing a cardigan with. Beginner's lace I would think would be Evelyn Clark's Swallowtail Shawl which makes a smaller shawl that's easy to 'get used' to wearing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
New Knitty up! It sucks

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I don't think it's a spoiler when everyone knows it already.

IDK, the thing with the sole-first socks is interesting, at least. I don't think I'd ever do it that way, but it's interesting.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Anne Whateley posted:

New Knitty up! It sucks

I like the concepts behind bloc party and the baseball shirt with lace sleeves, but would modify them both so much that I'll never actually use the patterns.

On the other hand, most knitting patterns are just a variation on a theme, and unless they have a really unique and hard to figure out technique, or a stitch pattern that isn't one of the thousands already published, I don't see the point.

Says the girl half-way through her first sweater.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

New Knitty up! It sucks

I never even remember to check anymore because it's rare for it to be good.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
RE: shawls

A good friend of mine made me a shawl to wear on my wedding day, since the ceremony and reception were outdoors and I get cold really easily. She used a lovely white alpaca-silk yarn and speed-knit the drat thing to get it done in time for the wedding. It ended up being really warm even into the evening and I didn't end up wearing it until after the reception, on the way to the hotel. Then I accidentally left it in the car and my husband didn't want to deal with the valet so it sat there all night. I would really love to wear it somewhere else, but I have nothing to wear it with. My friend was totally understanding about it not being used, but I still feel awful about it. :sigh:

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
All this shawl talk. Does anyone have a recommendation for a very basic, easy shawl pattern? (think "intro to shawls" for someone who has never made one and is not a very advanced knitter). I think I would like to knit one for my lady.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Holden (or anything with the same setup) is like 75% stockinette with a simple lace edge. Just place stitch markers and you'll be fine. Shawls like this can also be styled more reasonably/younger imo.

Mizufusion posted:

RE: shawls

A good friend of mine made me a shawl to wear on my wedding day, since the ceremony and reception were outdoors and I get cold really easily. She used a lovely white alpaca-silk yarn and speed-knit the drat thing to get it done in time for the wedding. It ended up being really warm even into the evening and I didn't end up wearing it until after the reception, on the way to the hotel. Then I accidentally left it in the car and my husband didn't want to deal with the valet so it sat there all night. I would really love to wear it somewhere else, but I have nothing to wear it with. My friend was totally understanding about it not being used, but I still feel awful about it. :sigh:
If you're planning to have kids, it sounds like you have a christening blanket!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Azzu's Shawl is another good one, no lace just stockinette and yo's.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Is it weird that I like that Knitty boutonniere and would knit a few for my wedding?

As for simple shawls, The Sunlight Shawl For Sad People and Terribly Simple are really nice.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

ackapoo posted:

Is it weird that I like that Knitty boutonniere and would knit a few for my wedding?

As for simple shawls, The Sunlight Shawl For Sad People and Terribly Simple are really nice.

That is my most favoritest name for a pattern ever.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
This Knitty is the optical illusion Knitty.

Everything looks cute in the patterns thumbnail, and hideous when clicked on.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm kinda pissed they're calling it "first fall" and it's loving JUNE. Summer hasn't technically even started yet. It's going to be 90 degrees until October and they're giving me cowls and mittens and poo poo. Some places haven't even really warmed up for summer yet. I kinda miss when they had "summer knits".

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Amykinz posted:

I'm kinda pissed they're calling it "first fall" and it's loving JUNE. Summer hasn't technically even started yet. It's going to be 90 degrees until October and they're giving me cowls and mittens and poo poo. Some places haven't even really warmed up for summer yet. I kinda miss when they had "summer knits".

I think their idea was that you'd have these knits done in time for the named season... But I think their winter issues don't work like that.

I definitely am not looking to knit anything big, thick, and woolly right now. I'm about 75% through a pair of socks, so I'll probably just start some more.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

All the other First Fall Knittys have been released in June (except the first which was July). It does feel ridiculous, looking at warm things while it's warm enough to lounge around in just your underwear.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It would be nice to get stuff done at the right time to wear it. I don't knit much when it's hot, but then when fall hits, I suddenly become possessed by Martha Stewart, so then all my sweaters and poo poo are done in time for like March. Real convenient.

If anyone is actually able to plan ahead and stick to it, mittens and gloves are ideal summer projects because they're so small and lightweight. I'm happy to introduce you because I love them the way other people love socks (which I'll never understand). Super addictive, and they follow the same basic structure, but there's tons of variation and challenge if you want it. I love that Julia Mueller insane cable poo poo, but nothing is as "one more row!!!" for me as stranded colorwork.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think the main problem with knitty is that it hasn't changed in almost twelve years. Back when it first came out I remember that it was the place to go for knitting patterns online. Your only other option was following various knitting blogs and those horrible '100 free patterns in no order!' websites. Knitty was the first place for designer-quality patterns all in one place.

But right now there's no real reason for it to exist anymore. If I wanted to make a shawl I'd go to raverly for a pattern. If I made a pattern (either for free or for sale) I'd post it on raverly. It would be one thing if knitty had amazing patterns that you couldn't find anywhere else, but for years I feel as if the patterns are always some sort of shawl, socks, and maybe a hat. Nothing special at all.

On the other hand, that rainbow plushie is cute. :shobon:

And Anne Whateley, maybe you could help me out over PM. I've been meaning to knit myself fingerless gloves forever, but I got the weirdest shaped hands in the world. I have yet to find any that fit me even after careful measurement. :smith:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't have plat! But I'd say either find something that seems close and tweak the stitch count, or just do one that's ribbed the whole way.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Wandering Knitter posted:

And Anne Whateley, maybe you could help me out over PM. I've been meaning to knit myself fingerless gloves forever, but I got the weirdest shaped hands in the world. I have yet to find any that fit me even after careful measurement. :smith:

I don't have PM, and I'm not Anne Whateley, but may I offer some advice?

Find a pattern you like and try them on as you go. Don't be afraid to alter stitch/row counts-- I have a tiny wrists, medium-sized hands, and LARGE SAUSAGEMUSCLED FINGERS. Altering stuff as I go is the only way to make any hand items fit well, unless it's all ribbing.

This does become a little tricky if you're working something like lace or some neat stichwork-- just keep track of that separate from the structure of the glove.

Like Anne Whateley says, ribbing is your friend! Choose something with an equal number of stitches in the purl sections as in the knit sections, and you'll have a very stretchy glove.

Hmm, maybe I'll make some mittens instead of another pair of socks this summer. Handschuh (hand-shoe) is German for mitten, so it should fit, thematically.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

I agree with everything in the above posts. Also I make my socks and mitts with magic loop because when you move all your stitches to the cable it's really easy to try something on to check the fit as you go.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think the main problem with knitty is that it hasn't changed in almost twelve years. Back when it first came out I remember that it was the place to go for knitting patterns online. Your only other option was following various knitting blogs and those horrible '100 free patterns in no order!' websites. Knitty was the first place for designer-quality patterns all in one place.

But right now there's no real reason for it to exist anymore. If I wanted to make a shawl I'd go to raverly for a pattern. If I made a pattern (either for free or for sale) I'd post it on raverly. It would be one thing if knitty had amazing patterns that you couldn't find anywhere else, but for years I feel as if the patterns are always some sort of shawl, socks, and maybe a hat. Nothing special at all.

Yeah, pretty much. Knitty sucks now because Ravelry loving devoured their lunch while they weren't looking.

I think they could still exist as a place for technique tutorials and stuff like that, since I don't think there's an easy way to do those on Ravelry. (Yeah, Youtube, but I don't like learning from a poorly shot video) I still reference some of their guides. There's things they can do to differentiate themselves from Ravelry. But for right now they're pretty redundant.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Knitty's been the good place to go for some really interesting garments and unique, original construction methods or designs. But it seems like, for the last year or two, that's really fallen by the wayside in favor of "hey look, more lacey shawlettes! and some socks! and a few cute tops!" and absolutely nothing else. Maybe a men's plain stockinette or ribbed sweater if we're lucky.

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?
I knit a lot of cure animals but they are starting to take up a lot of room in my closet. I decided to open an Etsy shop to get them out and earn a little extra spending money. The only thing is I don't really know what to charge. I'd really appreciate any advice from other artists.

ttps://www.etsy.com/shop/YarnyardCritters

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
If anyone is looking for project inspiration, there's a Ravelry group called "Nerd Wars: Geek Noosphere" which is an admittedly ridiculous name, but it's been keeping me busy. Basically, people divide up into teams and there's a tournament where you complete projects for points and connect your project with some nerd thing to get even more points. The latest tournament has already started, but they have a team for people who didn't get on teams, so I've been participating in that. It's been super fun, and one of the major topics is Giving Geeks, which is all about doing things to help others, which is p cool.

It's a good motivator for me, because I work way better on an external deadline than I do on a "I'll pick this up again later" *three years pass* "What was I doing again? Better frog it and start over." One of my favorite parts is the "Dissertations" where people have the option to choose three-month projects to work on and post a proposal with explanation, and some of them go into super depth with their research, which means I've learned a way ridiculous amount about things I would never think to research while being exposed to tons of amazing patterns that people have actually made. And each entry can be connected back to a nerd thing for extra points, which means learning more about nerd things, too. I just like learning things.

Anyway, here's a link: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nerd-wars-geek-noosphere

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I wanted to knit a lap blanket like this: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/1/6/whits-knits-super-easy-lap-blanket.html

Would King Cole Ultimate yarn be a good pick? It's bulkier than what they listed. A friend is asking me to knit this for them, and it's a bit of money on the side I could really use.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Aerofallosov posted:

I wanted to knit a lap blanket like this: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/1/6/whits-knits-super-easy-lap-blanket.html

Would King Cole Ultimate yarn be a good pick? It's bulkier than what they listed. A friend is asking me to knit this for them, and it's a bit of money on the side I could really use.

Since this is just a garter stitch pattern with color changes, substituting thicker yarn will just result in a thicker blanket. But you will have to do some math if you want it to be exact dimensions. Pattern says it's 35x44" w/ a gauge of 65/4" (16.25/1") King Cole Ultimate says 8-10st/4"d, so let's say you swatch and find 10st/4" to be ideal drape/hand/etc.

to get 35" across, you'd need to cast on 87-88 (math comes to 87.5), then just follow the pattern as written. It's how many repeats of 4" times gauge amount. or ((35"/4") * 10 stitches)

To find out how much you'll need is a little trickier since it's a different weight. If you already have yarn on hand, knit one ball after figuring out width and measure how much you get, then do the math.

I hope that all makes sense.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I think so, thanks. I got a ball of it as a freebie from a knitting class/club (rollin' with my old ladies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I'm still new at knitting, I've been doing it English style on and off because that's what my mother taught me, but I'm really slow at it and I thought I'd give continental a try. Turns out my brain thinks that's totally backwards and I cannot get my head round it. I'm just using youtube for tutorials at the moment but if anyone has any links to really good tutorials, I would be incredibly appreciative and may even be persuaded to show my knits so you can all have a laugh at you're utterly deployable my skills are.