Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

JaucheCharly posted:

I just googled 1632 series. Somebody makes real money of this?

Multiple dozen people, actually, via the fanfiction.

Personally? Yeah, OK, I get why the real historians look down on the 1632 series. And why it's probably not great literature.

But it doesn't have to be great, it just has to be good. And it is that, fairly consistently.

It's...Look, it's the literary equivalent of macaroni and cheese. Not exactly healthy, but it's comfort food.

(Also, Baen makes their whole catalog available, free, to disabled readers in Kindle/Nook/etc formats. I am one of the people who benefits by it - Baen's program lets me stretch my SSI checks a lot farther and lets me keep up my reading habit, which is sometimes my only real entertainment source. It also makes me wish other publishers (especially of Scifi/Fantasy) would do the same thing, because it's not like they lose much in sales (yes, they do verify that you're disabled - I got into it with a letter from my voc rehab counselor saying I was blind), and it *does* get books out there. I don't just read, I *frequently* loan copies to friends looking for stuff to read, and I'm not alone in that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ArchangeI posted:

He is fighting incredibly exaggerated villains, too.

Soviet WW2 generals were tragic characters, in general (npi), what with having to cope with unforgiving enemies on both sides of the front. Rokossovosky was no exception.

was tortured by Stalin ---> saved Stalin's rear end

came from a Polish aristocratic family ---> supervised Poland as Stalin's stooge, despised by his countrymen

Meanwhile dumbass assholes like Kliment Voroshilov can gently caress up everything they do and still expect forgiveness from Stalin. Including playing an important role in the Red Army purges, then complaining that Stalin's purges made the army so ineffective during Winter War!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 12, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
He'd make cool material for an HBO series, I think.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

I just googled 1632 series. Somebody makes real money of this?

Given that few people in America even know the Thirty Years War was a thing, it's just plain nice to see anything involving the era, no matter how pulpy and cheesy. Plus it does, on occasion, actually explain why some things were the way they were, like when some Americans go "lol close-order formation and brightly-colored uniforms are dumb, why not use skirmish order and camo" and then they try it and officers can't see poo poo and cavalry whup their infantry.

Granted, this was illustrated in a war game and not actual battle so it's not like it was a good narrative moment when the Americans really suffered a loss or anything, but still.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ofaloaf posted:

Given that few people in America even know the Thirty Years War was a thing, it's just plain nice to see anything involving the era, no matter how pulpy and cheesy. Plus it does, on occasion, actually explain why some things were the way they were, like when some Americans go "lol close-order formation and brightly-colored uniforms are dumb, why not use skirmish order and camo" and then they try it and officers can't see poo poo and cavalry whup their infantry.

Granted, this was illustrated in a war game and not actual battle so it's not like it was a good narrative moment when the Americans really suffered a loss or anything, but still.

I do remember they suffer a loss when they invade poland because the rain makes their flintlock rifles ineffective and the poles use their advantage of cavalry to rout them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

They should have used cocktail umbrellas to guard the frizzen.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Nenonen posted:

came from a Polish aristocratic family ---> supervised Poland as Stalin's stooge, despised by his countrymen

He jailed, murdered or otherwise persecuted some 200 000 Poles, mostly pre-war officers and members of anti-Nazi resistance movements, so I guess that "despised" part has some more grounding than just his association with Stalin?

(Also he was for all intents and purposes less of a Pole than Nietzsche was.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chillyrabbit posted:

I do remember they suffer a loss when they invade poland because the rain makes their flintlock rifles ineffective and the poles use their advantage of cavalry to rout them.

Do you mean matchlocks, or is the book that bad?

Ofaloaf posted:

These guys were neither particularly close together not particularly brightly colored. Although uniforms were a thing for some people, most of them wore whatever, coupled sometimes with colored sashes or bits of cloth to designate which regiment (sometimes company?) you belonged to.

Except for this guy. This guy is god drat on this poo poo.

"OK, we're 'orange,' so we're all going to need to find some orange fabric and make at least a sash or something. You think you can do that?"
"You have no idea how ready I am for this moment."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

I think the German-Swedish-American army by then might've been using percussion caps, can't recall.

Another theme which I thought was nice was the realization by the Americans of the small town that ended up there that they simply did not have the resources and facilities to replicate all their modern amenities, so pretty quickly the challenge became figuring out how far they needed to gear down to be able to build stuff with the knowledge and skills they did have. Folks opted to build telegraph lines, for example, instead of trying to become the new Alexander Graham Bell because the training and tech needed to maintain the switching centers, operators, etc. was a big pain in the rear end, but telegraph wires were far easier to put up (and rebuild after raiding parties come through) and so they opted for that.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

By the time the series starts, everyones using matchlocks. But much of the series is all 'rah rah, build a better society together'. That's not just 'American way! liberty!11!', it's also 'if we provide the 17th-century people with information, they're more than smart and capable enough to make use of it'. Which means that three years in, they've got flintlock making to the point where they can reliable equip regiments. Probably not realistic, but at least it doesn't go 'lol, past people r dumb'.

It's pulpy and silly, but not a total trainwreck. Or at least, I don't know the era well enough to be annoyed at all the things they get wrong.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You weren't tortured with german baroque literature and the 30yw it in school. I'm not looking down on pop-culture books or that sort of thing if they have enlightening value like that. It's more like, well, if somebody can make a living with that, maybe there's no need to worry.

HEY GAL posted:

If the guys look like that, how do the prostitutes look?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 12, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tevery Best posted:

He jailed, murdered or otherwise persecuted some 200 000 Poles, mostly pre-war officers and members of anti-Nazi resistance movements, so I guess that "despised" part has some more grounding than just his association with Stalin?

(Also he was for all intents and purposes less of a Pole than Nietzsche was.)

Well, hence the HBO series.

Rokossovsky was persecuted as potentially disloyal, but perhaps at the end of the day, he was actually fanatically loyal - beyond the bounds of reason. The contrast is strange really, because he would have seen first hand what a poo poo Stalin was, and throughout the war appeared to be a relatively humane leader who cared about his men, but he acted to uphold the system above all at the end of the day.

Whereas Zhukov, who was spared from the Purges, in many senses Stalin's golden boy, and noted for his ruthlessness, would after the war fall out with Stalin and collaborate with Khrushchev to work against Beria and other conservative elements within the party. It seems like he acted to soften the Russian occupation of Germany as well.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

HEY GAL posted:

They introduced the flintlock as "up time" knowledge which is probably very possible at that time period as snaphances were made. They did have some percussion caps at that point in time when invading poland but in limited availability and mostly for breech loader sharps which may be stretching the accelerated technology a bit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

If the guys look like that, how do the prostitutes look?
Probably less fancy, this dude is loving fierce. Look at his sassy little high heels! They match his garters and his sash, both of which match his flag. Really ties it together, perfect combat wear for summer or spring. :nyd:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

Probably less fancy, this dude is loving fierce. Look at his sassy little high heels! They match his garters and his sash, both of which match his flag. Really ties it together, perfect combat wear for summer or spring. :nyd:

It sounds like one of those goofy folk rituals you described in the thread earlier.

"My SWAG protects me from gunfire!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

My lord doth protestant too much.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hey,Iron Felix was also a noble. I've got a book of stories about him written in Stalin era, the transcend lovely into awesome!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Chillyrabbit posted:

They introduced the flintlock as "up time" knowledge which is probably very possible at that time period as snaphances were made. They did have some percussion caps at that point in time when invading poland but in limited availability and mostly for breech loader sharps which may be stretching the accelerated technology a bit.

Yeah, that is at least somewhat believable. A lot of the techniques existed or were close to existing, and all they would really have needed to do was to show the guys how to build the stuff more efficiently.

Whats crazy is David Weber's series going from triremes to ironclads in 10 years.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

Ok, I get it. So it's like that?

or more like that?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
More like this.
http://aliendovecote.com/uploads/twine/kesha.html

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

These guys were neither particularly close together not particularly brightly colored. Although uniforms were a thing for some people, most of them wore whatever, coupled sometimes with colored sashes or bits of cloth to designate which regiment (sometimes company?) you belonged to.

"OK, we're 'orange,' so we're all going to need to find some orange fabric and make at least a sash or something. You think you can do that?"
"You have no idea how ready I am for this moment."

Meh, that's about how you're average retarded football fan still dresses these days over here. Guy could go to a football match and no one would notice.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The proportion of money that this guy spent on his outfit is probably the equivalent of 10 years pay (or rather SS) of your average football fan.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So rather than continue to stink up this thread with crap about Alternate history I've thrown together a new thread Here if people are interested in it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

The proportion of money that this guy spent on his outfit is probably the equivalent of 10 years pay (or rather SS) of your average football fan.

Yeah, the Kerls would have looked like this, on a good day:

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
Anyone here familiar with William F. Owen's old man rant against the very idea of an Infantry Fighting Vehicle?

"Wrong Technology for the Wrong Tactics" posted:

Previously in this article we asked whether the weapons carried by an IFV made it more likely that it would defeat the enemy compared to an APC. Naturally, an unsupported attack conducted solely by IFVs is more likely to succeed than the same attack conducted by APCs. Even more simply, an IFV with a turret-mounted 30mm cannon and ATGM is far more likely to damage a target than an APC armed only with a machinegun. That capability comes at substantial cost, both in terms of procurement and training. The idea that an IFV crew are merely infantrymen with another skill-set is as sound as suggesting the same for a tank crew. Within the scope of a campaign they are more likely to be dedicated to employing the vehicle they crew.
A MBT, however, is far more likely to damage any given target than an IFV, with the possible exception of the range associated with some ATGMs. Furthermore, the MBT is far more likely to survive than an IFV, but this should not be an argument just about equipment.
The theory, or concept, of combined arms is the use of each arm to support the other in order to ensure the defeat of the enemy in battles and engagements. Combined arms works best when each arm has a clearly defined role, which compliments the way in which the other arms support it. Having vehicles designed to carry infantry engage in direct combat is bad tactics. It asks them to do what tanks are designed to do, and which by virtue of physics and engineering they are barely adequate to do. To suggest, as some doctrine does, that they will be engaging different targets makes little sense. It suggests that a gunner or a commander in a MBT will dismiss an available yet fleeting target on the basis that an IFV nearby will deal with it, and vice versa.
Tactical doctrine for IFVs places a vehicle less protected than a MBT in approximately the same place on the battlefield. That place allows the MBT to use its weapons effectively. If the intention is to have a vehicle that can accomplish its role without MBTs, then that is also bad tactical doctrine. Tanks are armoured vehicles optimised to employ direct fire weapons. Armoured personnel carriers are designed to deliver infantry to a point where they can fight on foot. IFVs are a compromise able to do neither role well. If this is about tactics, then it would be possible to employ an IFV as an APC, but that would result in an expensive and complex vehicle where a cheaper and simpler one would suffice.

You have to register to see the full article, but its free and easy to do so. Personally, I think he's right. This particular old man makes a pretty convincing argument.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Anyone here familiar with William F. Owen's old man rant against the very idea of an Infantry Fighting Vehicle?

You have to register to see the full article, but its free and easy to do so. Personally, I think he's right. This particular old man makes a pretty convincing argument.

Quick, someone post pentagon_wars.flv

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

StashAugustine posted:

Quick, someone post pentagon_wars.flv

As you wish. Behold!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

People have been taking on the IFV concept for quite a while now. In fact they made a movie about that fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

I understand the point about an IFV fundamentally being a compromise between an APC and a MBT, and there are many good points to be made about that. On the flip side, if you look at the wars we've been having in the Middle East, we find that for the most part we aren't using MBTs or APCs: We've been using up-armored HMMVWs, Strykers and MRAPS - heavily armed vehicles that can take hits, set up a strong point, and then maneuver troops on the battlefield. In a word: Infantry Fighting Vehicles. But there's plenty of room to debate the issue.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 12, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaal posted:

People have been taking on the IFV concept for quite a while now. In fact they made a movie about that fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

I understand the point about an IFV fundamentally being a compromise between an APC and a MBT, and there are many good points to be made about that. On the flip side, if you look at the wars we've been having in the Middle East, we find that for the most part we aren't using MBTs or APCs: We've been using up-armored HMMVWs, Strykers and MRAPS - heavily armed vehicles that can take hits, set up a strong point, and then deliver troops onto the battlefield. In a word: Infantry Fighting Vehicles. But there's plenty of room to debate the issue.
Does this mean everyone's like...dragoons now?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
None of those vehicles are actually IFVs, though.

Maybe when/if they start deploying cannons on RWSs, you could call them that?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HEY GAL posted:

Does this mean everyone's like...dragoons now?

Certainly mechanized infantry are the successors of dragoons. The era of tanks blitzkrieging across the fields followed by mechanized infantry pushing forward on a single front seems to be over. By the time the tanks get onto the field, the jets and drones have already destroyed the organized resistance. Whether we're talking about the Gulf Wars or Afghanistan, or even non-American conflicts like Syria or South Ossetia, it's become fairly apparent that vehicles can't simply rely on their mobility anymore - they can't dart back and forth between the "front lines" and the home bases. As such they need a certain degree of armor and firepower, which means that you need an IFV-equivalent.

The Merry Marauder posted:

None of those vehicles are actually IFVs, though. Maybe when/if they start deploying cannons on RWSs, you could call them that?

They aren't called IFVs, but they're certainly being used as if they were. You didn't see a lot of Iraq convoy commanders pulling their APCs out of the line and sending them to the rear. Mostly because if they did that then they'd probably trigger more IEDs.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 12, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I look forward to HEMTTs with RHA and a couple missiles and a Bushmaster on top.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

BMP was designed during a special era for a special job. Bradley was specifically designed to line the wallets of arms manufacturers and did that well. We may be living a post-BMP era but either we never lived a Bradley era or we shall always live it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This seems like the old tank destroyers debate again. The problem is that in a war, you don't get to decide whether you have a MBT or an IFV or an APC or not. You have what you have there at the time. You just can't rely on having a MBT around all the time. When you get into an ambush or are constrained in terms of logistics or need to hit somewhere as fast as possible, you can either fight with unarmed APCs or fit some guns on them and have them be IFVs... and modern military experience suggests that the latter is a huge force multiplier.

And also half the time you are fighting enemies with low anti armour capability, for whom an IFV performs equivalently to a MBT.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Fangz posted:

When you get into an ambush or are constrained in terms of logistics or need to hit somewhere as fast as possible, you can either fight with unarmed APCs or fit some guns on them and have them be IFVs... and modern military experience suggests that the latter is a huge force multiplier.

This is a false choice. APCs have been armed since the half-track. They do not become IFVs if they fire their weapons or are in contact before they have unloaded.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This is a false choice. APCs have been armed since the half-track. They do not become IFVs if they fire their weapons or are in contact before they have unloaded.

The difference between the APC and the IFV, as far as I understand it, is a matter of degree of armament, and whether they support the infantry or not. I don't see what is wrong with my point. In a situation where 'bring in a MBT' is not an option, the vehicle that carried the infantry there can either contribute firepower or it can run away.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

What's wrong is that no one is advocating for "unarmed APCs?" Are you saying that 7.62 NATO or .50 cal MGs or AGLs etc are insufficient for fire support, and that all troop carrying vehicles should be more heavily armed? What does "fit[ting] some guns on them" entail?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

I look forward to HEMTTs with RHA and a couple missiles and a Bushmaster on top.

We're part of the way there already.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What's wrong is that no one is advocating for "unarmed APCs?" Are you saying that 7.62 NATO or .50 cal MGs or AGLs etc are insufficient for fire support, and that all troop carrying vehicles should be more heavily armed? What does "fit[ting] some guns on them" entail?

I am saying that there is justification for a class of vehicles that carry troops and also weapons, yes, and that in general the autocannons vehicles like the Warrior IFV carry are more potent in a fire support role than HMGs on an APC, especially if APC doctrine demands that the APC withdraw from contact.

I think you are too fixated on my use of the word 'unarmed', which was a mistake. The fundamental disagreement I have with the original article is

quote:

Having vehicles designed to carry infantry engage in direct combat is bad tactics.

Which is wrong because it's not something commanders can choose. I think that's a more interesting thing to discuss than the more pedantic argument of whether armoured vehicles carrying infantry should have armament >= 20mm or not.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

The guntruck has a long and proud history of grunt innovation.

• Locked thread