Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Same, I could use a lesson in proper history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Can i get an invite into dental, i havent played since last year so i got kicked out. I'm clump@hardclumping

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Dante posted:

Thanks. I gotta say that the mac client for this game is a real piece of poo poo. Even getting through character creation is a loving drag because the colours, lightning and textures keep spazzing out. I'm tempted to just bootcamp it instead.

works ok for me at about half on both sliders

mind you i can play in windows on the same machine at max everything, so ya, it's a pos

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

300 Earth Dollars posted:

works ok for me at about half on both sliders

mind you i can play in windows on the same machine at max everything, so ya, it's a pos

I imagine they press whatever "build" button Cider gives you and then it's good to go right?

The EVE Online mac client is better, and I hate hate hate the way they handle that.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hard Clumping posted:

Can i get an invite into dental, i havent played since last year so i got kicked out. I'm clump@hardclumping

Blackdog420 posted:

hello i would like to rejoin starfleet dental

mot cumberton@mott

You're both invited to TheNextGooneration, jump in the channel and someone will invite you to Dental.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I submitted my KDF foundry mission for consideration as a spotlight mission. If it gets accepted I won't be able to make any further changes so could any klanks that haven't done so already please run Blood, Bij and Honor: Episode 1 and let me know if they find any embarrassing typos that I need to change while I still can. I'm pretty certain it's polished at this point but you never know.

Send a mail to @lagomorphic if you find anything.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 12, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Hold on to your arses, Bulwarks are back!

Bundled in with the Rom doff pack so cellship prices will likely drop a bit, too.

quote:

From now until 10AM PDT on Thursday, July 3, 2014, when you purchase a Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Pack from the C-Store, a container will be put into your inventory. Upon opening it, it will contain either 10 Lobi Crystals or a Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser, in addition to a Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Pack! If you missed winning one of these vessels during one of our previous Duty Officer promotions, here's your chance at owning one of the most sought-after ships.

Note the bold bit and don't buy/open existing packs expecting to get a drop.

Also Elachi Alert weekend is here for your mark farming needs.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
And don't forget the ULTRA-SPOOKY Friday the 13th mission "Hearts and Minds." Line up to get your mostly useless blue doff and a lyrpa that does lack-luster psychic damage.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Aleth posted:

Bundled in with the Rom doff pack so cellship prices will likely drop a bit, too.

Any idea what the chances of getting a Bulwark are? The usual 0.5% or whatever?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

Sounds like its 50/50 Lobi/Bulwark but there's no loving way that's really what it means.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

revtoiletduck posted:

If you're lucky, insanely low though.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

revtoiletduck posted:

Pack chances are usually lower then lockboxes. ~0.2%

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Today in Foundry Missions you really should play: Blood, Bij and Honor (KDF)

Playtime: 15 minutes (probably 30-45 minutes if you are too dumb to solve puzzles)
Rating: 5/5
Canary: Alive
Dil reward: 0 (Does not qualify for rewards due to too few reviews/playthroughs)
Strengths: Dialogue, Plot
Weaknesses: Length

Short summary: A classical space/ground/space mission with a dash of actual puzzling thrown in, with a decent plot and well-done dialogue. The highlight is clearly the puzzle, the mission itself is nice but too short.

Long summary: After the I.K.S. HoS'Sor'a has gone missing, you are trying to find it. After a brief and enjoable altercation with salvagers, you find its burnt out husk and clues to the whereabouts of its cargo. Off to the Orion (of course) station imaginatively named Coldwater Station, you are asking after your target man. And asking you will need, because after you find him you'll have to enter his private chambers and to unlock it you need personal information to reset his password. Thankful, quite a few of the (colorful and not 08/15 foundry <race> templates) know a bit about him, so you can puzzle it together.
Afterwards, you stumble through his (full of painful references) backroom, find both the cargo you were looking for and a use for the security measure transporter transponders the Orions stuck on you. Now exiting the backroom, you are immediatly (too abruptly) tossed into the ground combat portion where you pretty much kill everyone you talked to previously. After beaming into space, killing staiton security and station traffic, you beam up your cargo and that's the mission.

...yeah, it's too short. Shame, because the quality is right up there.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Heads up - bonus mark weekend for the end of June has gone from the calendar but now we have dil weekend showing 24th-28th July.

Also good work, canary.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks for the kind words as well as all the help proofreading the mission.

It's really helpful since the text editing in the foundry is frequently a pain to proofread. I mean look at this poo poo:

For the record most of the non-security personnel in the market shootout are set to timid and you are in no way required to murder them. If you're not super careful about your shooting the vast majority of them will die in the crossfire. The idea of a big market shootout with innocents caught in the crossfire was the core idea that the mission is built around. I specifically designed the puzzle as a way to force the player talk to them and get to know them a little before the impending massacre.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Red = dead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And next you'll be telling me that you didn't hunt down every bar patron on Nimbus.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
I'm way too much of a CASUAL DOOD to log in once a day to fly around with a jetpack to get pearls for a ship. I currently have a mirror heavy but am using a mirror assault cruiser as a tetryon beamboat with supporting consoles. Still getting some deaths in PvE so I'm wondering what a good way to gently grind to a new ship is. Dil or Fleet marks? I really can't be arsed to gently caress about with these pearls even if the other methods take longer.

On that note, am I at all formidable in a mirror assault cruiser? Should I be doing something with my tac boffs besides tac team and the beam array buff thing (not beam overload)? My science boff is ace and a good goon sir helped pimp out one of my engi boffs so I have EPTW and DWE or whatever as well.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BrainGlitch posted:

I'm way too much of a CASUAL DOOD to log in once a day to fly around with a jetpack to get pearls for a ship. I currently have a mirror heavy but am using a mirror assault cruiser as a tetryon beamboat with supporting consoles. Still getting some deaths in PvE so I'm wondering what a good way to gently grind to a new ship is. Dil or Fleet marks? I really can't be arsed to gently caress about with these pearls even if the other methods take longer.

On that note, am I at all formidable in a mirror assault cruiser? Should I be doing something with my tac boffs besides tac team and the beam array buff thing (not beam overload)? My science boff is ace and a good goon sir helped pimp out one of my engi boffs so I have EPTW and DWE or whatever as well.

Are you running an Aux2Bat setup? Did you follow the "Crummy to Competent" Guide on the wiki?

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Burning_Monk posted:

Are you running an Aux2Bat setup? Did you follow the "Crummy to Competent" Guide on the wiki?

I can't get access to even sign up for the wiki. Going to the site just gives me an empty wiki that says I'm not logged in with nowhere to sign up/log in.

Going to the wiki I straight up get "Sorry, you don't have enough rights to continue. Perhaps you forgot to login?" with no options whatsoever.

What is an aux2bat setup? Running a tac fed if that makes a difference.

BrainGlitch fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 13, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Aleth posted:

This is how you do bonus events. Make then fun and support them with a shitload of marks as a reward.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

BrainGlitch posted:

I can't get access to even sign up for the wiki. Going to the site just gives me an empty wiki that says I'm not logged in with nowhere to sign up/log in.

Going to the wiki I straight up get "Sorry, you don't have enough rights to continue. Perhaps you forgot to login?" with no options whatsoever.

What is an aux2bat setup? Running a tac fed if that makes a difference.

Click Login and then the Register link.

Aux2bat uses the 'Auxiliary to Batteries' ability to shorten the cooldown on most abilities letting you do them more often, sometimes keeping certain abilities going with little to no down time. It also buffs your powerlevels, giving your engines, shields, and weapons more kick to them. A proper Aux2Bat setup will increase your dps while also increasing your survivability. It's a commitment though, as it takes some grinding to get the credits to afford certain rare items and personnel, and you have to focus more than just button mashing to get the timings right. When you are registered, post you login name here and someone will grant you access (if we like you). Afterwards you can go to the wiki, read some things and stop being a horrible noob.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Click Login and then the Register link.

Aux2bat uses the 'Auxiliary to Batteries' ability to shorten the cooldown on most abilities letting you do them more often, sometimes keeping certain abilities going with little to no down time. It also buffs your powerlevels, giving your engines, shields, and weapons more kick to them. A proper Aux2Bat setup will increase your dps while also increasing your survivability. It's a commitment though, as it takes some grinding to get the credits to afford certain rare items and personnel, and you have to focus more than just button mashing to get the timings right. When you are registered, post you login name here and someone will grant you access (if we like you). Afterwards you can go to the wiki, read some things and stop being a horrible noob.

Okeys, registered as Brainglitch for the wiki.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

BrainGlitch posted:

Okeys, registered as Brainglitch for the wiki.

And you're authorised.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Burning_Monk posted:

...and you have to focus more than just button mashing to get the timings right.

Not if you use the magic spacebar macro! Make sure you check that out if you're going to roll aux2batt.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Posting for wiki access.

Username: stanleypain

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Posting for wiki access.

Username: stanleypain

You're in.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
Arg, took some time off STO and now I've missed the boat on the fabulous risian space boat.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Badger posted:

Arg, took some time off STO and now I've missed the boat on the fabulous risian space boat.

Pretty sure you can still get it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah you're a week late but you still have enough time to get both of the Risa ships. Do the jetpack races on two different characters. Once you have one of the ships it drops the cost for that ship to 40 pearls on all of your other characters.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah you're a week late but you still have enough time to get both of the Risa ships. Do the jetpack races on two different characters. Once you have one of the ships it drops the cost for that ship to 40 pearls on all of your other characters.

Great news, then I shall see you on Risa (next to the ERP cave 19:00 hrs right)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

(I'll regret this) what's the ERP cave?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

That's the polite name for the rape cave. It's a cave on the non-resort Risa map that is pretty popular with certain types. If you'd like to know more and do your part to combat this menace please run My Favorite Game, it's under fed foundry missions.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Not if you use the magic spacebar macro! Make sure you check that out if you're going to roll aux2batt.

Using the macro isn't optimal with a Aux2bat build. You can do it, sure, but to get the most you'll want to wait a couple seconds for your aux to build up and then shunt it all to the shields, weapons, and engines with aux2bat.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

mmm i'm not sure that would really hold true

You want to time the first and second activations sure, but after that the cycles should quickly even out (battery use aside). Also the point of A2B is much more about cooldowns than it is about power levels, so hitting those cooldown reductions every time they're up is pretty important.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Lagomorphic posted:

That's the polite name for the rape cave. It's a cave on the non-resort Risa map that is pretty popular with certain types. If you'd like to know more and do your part to combat this menace please run My Favorite Game, it's under fed foundry missions.

Run bikini beach after too :wink:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Burning_Monk posted:

Using the macro isn't optimal with a Aux2bat build. You can do it, sure, but to get the most you'll want to wait a couple seconds for your aux to build up and then shunt it all to the shields, weapons, and engines with aux2bat.

Build up through things like plas leech? It'll do that anyways if you put aux2batt at the end of your macro like you should. Engage target, mash spacebar to fire and cycle through your buffs, then aux2batt last for the CD reduction.

This is assuming you even really care about anything other than the CD reduction. Hitting A2B on cooldown so you always have EPTX abilities up is far, far more important than a modest power boost for 10 seconds. The only time I watch power levels like that is in PvP, where trying to recloak during aux2batt uptime can cause you to decloak and die when you lose your plas leech stacks (your aux hits 0 and your cloak drops).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm just going from what's on the wiki...

quote:

Timing is everything. Running two auxbats will put all your abilities at GCD, but to receive the most benefit, you must wait a couple of seconds in between auxbats for your auxiliary power to recover, else you will only receive a power boost to weapons/shields/engines with every other auxbat. Waiting any more than a couple seconds, will throw off your cycles, however. So pay attention. Additionally, you cannot put every one of your buffs on one macro, because you will have to be careful to cover gaps in your weapons power coverage.

Maybe it's old now, i dunno.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Yea a2b once was about power levels because power was a lot harder to get, most of the counter arguments to it are still based on that supposition (and being smug about being space rich).

These days it's a great way to get extreme cooldown modification for all your other abilities, incidentally max 3 non-aux power levels, and make it a lot trickier to use aux abilities well. You can do most of that without a2b and without the aux hit/complexity, but doing so requires a bunch of expensive as poo poo doffs. A2b just requires a week of farming btran after spending 4M on good doffs for the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, if anything A2B is the cheapest and easiest endgame duty officer setup at the moment. That's a big reason why it's still popular, at least as long as attack pattern doffs and other critical ones hover around 50 million credits or whatever it is lately.

• Locked thread