Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

FrozenVent posted:

We've long determined that being bad with money goes both way. It's the Goldilock effect, you have to be juuuuust right.

Dude buying $200 underwear? Bad with money.

Dude making GBS threads in a bucket? Bad with money.

Hey don't bring Tuyop into this, he's changed his ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010
How much does the bucket cost? :thejoke:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hey don't bring Tuyop into this, he's changed his ways.

I think Tuyop's fine with us using him as an educational example, he's very devoted to the cause of financial independence now. Plus he's the only BFC Superstar that managed to hit both extremes.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Folly posted:

Dammit BFC, which forum do you think this is. Here I'll pick up the slack:

I can't believe she spends money on toothpaste. If you just watch the coupons you should be able to get it for free every month. :colbert:

I think if you eat so sporadically you are at risk of developing scurvy like that lady, it makes you bad with money.

Speaking of which, I'm sure everyone has heard the urban legend of scurvy being a common ailment experienced by poor students who've been living off instant noodles. In a similar vein, one of my coworkers tells the story of one of his housemates who only ate instant noodles in an attempt to save money. He got sent to hospital after somebody found him a disturbing grey colour while shivering on the floor of his room. Turns out eating 2-minute noodles for weeks at a time is a good way to develop malnutrition, go figure.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

froglet posted:

I think if you eat so sporadically you are at risk of developing scurvy like that lady, it makes you bad with money.

Speaking of which, I'm sure everyone has heard the urban legend of scurvy being a common ailment experienced by poor students who've been living off instant noodles. In a similar vein, one of my coworkers tells the story of one of his housemates who only ate instant noodles in an attempt to save money. He got sent to hospital after somebody found him a disturbing grey colour while shivering on the floor of his room. Turns out eating 2-minute noodles for weeks at a time is a good way to develop malnutrition, go figure.

Jesus. You have to start feeling like poo poo way before you get to the "delirious and shaking" phase. Why don't those people just eat a goddamn banana?

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 12, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Or drink some orange juice or something?

Miss Bean
Jun 5, 2005

Don't spill the beans!!

FrozenVent posted:

Or drink some orange juice or something?

Have you seen the price of orange juice lately?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Miss Bean posted:

Have you seen the price of orange juice lately?

You can water it down! That's what my sister does for the benefit of her wallet and her children's health (too much sugar is no good).

I buy apple juice and just take a little swig right from the bottle before I eat breakfast, then drink water with breakfast.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer posted:

Content:
A girl I work with went in to the Toyota dealership for an oil change on her 2010 Avalon last week. She drove out in a brand new 2014 Toyota Avalon.

I posted this in March. Since then, that same girl took a severance package from our employer. People rotate internally every couple years or so, and she looked for over a year unsuccessfully and ultimately gave up and left.
She has since moved from the west coast back home to the Washington DC area. She has a job lined up, but :siren:hasn't started yet. :siren:
She just posted on her facebook about the new 4 bedroom townhouse she is building, "with all the upgrades". Two car garage, fancy fixtures, two-oven gourmet kitchen, marble countertops, upgraded appliances, etc.

No idea what bank would loan her money for that. She is single, was probably pulling down mid $60's here, has no inherited wealth, and I doubt that the severance package was more than 3 months of salary.

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009
My coworker bought a house last year because he did the math and figured out a mortgage would be cheaper than his rent. Also because "women love a man with a house because they love stability". He bought with no money down because he had no savings, and then spent more money he didn't have tricking out a media center and getting a few other furnishings for his new house.

Now it's months later. Turns out that a bigger, older house is more expensive to heat, cool, and maintain than an apartment. He's been grumbling because he's had to sell back some of his vacation time to the company to make his mortgage, and rationalizes that this is fine because he doesn't have any money to go anywhere anyway. Nothing has even gone wrong with the house yet.

The stability-loving women have so far not appeared.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tales Of Desire posted:

My coworker bought a house last year because he did the math and figured out a mortgage would be cheaper than his rent.

That's always the start of a good story.

Friends of mine bought a house last year, I visited around Christmas and ended up poking holes in their ceiling because the roof was leaking (They had ice dams; they're not very handy.) She posted pictures on Facebook yesterday of the repair job in progress, they got the sheet rock off in all the upstair rooms because, well, they had water in all the walls and it turned out there was no insulation in one of the bedroom walls.

So much cheaper than renting.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FrozenVent posted:

That's always the start of a good story.

Friends of mine bought a house last year, I visited around Christmas and ended up poking holes in their ceiling because the roof was leaking (They had ice dams; they're not very handy.) She posted pictures on Facebook yesterday of the repair job in progress, they got the sheet rock off in all the upstair rooms because, well, they had water in all the walls and it turned out there was no insulation in one of the bedroom walls.

So much cheaper than renting.

Did they not get an inspector to look at the house? I mean in California it cost me about $500 but that is chump change in relation to possible damage in the house.

I almost bought an apartment in a Victorian house in SF last year or so. But there was a big problem where it was possible the foundation would sink in ~10-15 years time. The tradesway was below the yard of the neighbor's house and wasn't protected against the water that was seeping into the wall/foundation. Basically we would have to ask the neighbor permission to dig up their yard, lay something to protect against water, oh yeah we'd also have to vote for it from the other people in the apartment complex.

Even then we were willing to do it, but we asked that the price go back down ~20000. Owner flat out refused to negotiate and we pretty much let the contract/agreement expire because it was too much risk.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, they had it inspected and there's lawyers involved now. Not sure that inspectors are expected to poke into walls to check for insulation though.

As to the leaks, well, they didn't shovel the roof at all during one of the worst winters in living memory so :shrug:

Folly
May 26, 2010

Tales Of Desire posted:

My coworker bought a house last year because he did the math and figured out a mortgage would be cheaper than his rent.

I did this, and it really was cheaper than renting for me. Of course, I bought it in 1999 and sold it 5 years later for something like 20% more than I paid for it, through no fault of my own. The market was a little different back then. Also, the guy who bought it from me overpaid. He deserves a story in this thread.

First of all, he basically offered me the asking price. I told him I'd reduce the price 3% if he didn't have a real estate agent and he offered that price. This was in the hayday of bad loans, and this guy's loan was textbook. You know it's gonna be bad when he has to negotiate the earnest money down to $500 from $1000 so he can write me the check. So he was going to buy the house, and flip it, with less than $1000 of liquid assets. In fact, he borrowed like 3-5% more than the contract price so he could have liquid assets to fund the remodel. I wouldn't say I tried to talk him out of it, but I tried to make it possible for him to back out. I wrote the offer contract for him because he was going to try and do the deal on a handshake. So I tried to include favorable terms to let him get out of it, like secure financing at a reasonable maximum interest rate. He wouldn't let me put it in the offer. He made me use the rate I he had in his pre-approval letter, which was something like 10%. (My loan from the same month was at 5.75%.) I had to force him to get a termite inspection. And his "house inspection" was a buddy of his looking at JUST THE FURNACE AND NOTHING ELSE.

Oh, and the plan to flip it was even worse. First, he missed step 1, the part where you buy low. He paid more for that house the highest sale price of any comparable house in a 3 block radius. He single-handedly increased the appraisal value of the area. He was sure that he was gonna flip it, despite the fact that I'd already spent 5 years doing all of the cheap upgrades like paint, carpet, a new deck, and updated (used) appliances. All that was left for him was the kitchen cabinets and kitchen floor. Did I mention that the house only had 1 bathroom? It had starter home written all over it. And the major systems like the roof and furnace were near end-of-life, and I disclosed this. I'm pretty sure that he went bankrupt the next year and the house was foreclosed.

All that said, his previous house sounded even worse from what told me. It was behind the local post office, which sounds reasonable at first. I mean, you go look at houses during the day. I doubt I would have expected semi-trucks to start arriving at about 3am Mon-Sat and start noisily unloading the day's mail.

Folly fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 12, 2014

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

froglet posted:

I work at a tech company with free food served buffet-style and we had a new employee get scurvy. I guess he'd been living with his parents and let them handle the cooking, because when he got a job and moved out he went full sperg and ate nothing but chicken and beans. A few months later he walks into the health center complaining about joint pain and bleeding gums.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Folly posted:

All that said, his previous house sounded even worse from what told me. It was behind the local post office, which sounds reasonable at first. I mean, you go look at houses during the day. I doubt I would have expected semi-trucks to start arriving at about 3am Mon-Sat and start noisily unloading the day's mail.

My current apartment is right behind a train station! Convenient to public train transportation! A small (I dunno, like 30' x 60'... houses in Japan can be pretty small/2 story) lot is for sale for like 80-90k that's an extra 10 minute walk away.

It's also the terminal station of the line, so there's a big ol' train yard next to it, and they are moving trains around at all hours of the night, tooting horns, etc. I can't leave my screen door open during the nice months at night and have to run my AC/heater/a fan instead, because the noise is too much for me to sleep.

Movin' out in a month and a half :toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My current apartment is right behind a train station! Convenient to public train transportation! A small (I dunno, like 30' x 60'... houses in Japan can be pretty small/2 story) lot is for sale for like 80-90k that's an extra 10 minute walk away.

It's also the terminal station of the line, so there's a big ol' train yard next to it, and they are moving trains around at all hours of the night, tooting horns, etc. I can't leave my screen door open during the nice months at night and have to run my AC/heater/a fan instead, because the noise is too much for me to sleep.

Movin' out in a month and a half :toot:

My last apartment had a freight train line in the backyard. It was loud and the place vibrated, but it wasn't that bad and we eventually got used to it. It's pretty amazing what you can get used to.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Volmarias posted:

My last apartment had a freight train line in the backyard. It was loud and the place vibrated, but it wasn't that bad and we eventually got used to it. It's pretty amazing what you can get used to.

Reminds me of the place where the Blues Brothers slept.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Need BFC assistance. I passed go and with a large bonus check my wife gave me $100 in allowance for food, entertainment, etc. that should last me the month.

Steam Summer Sale coming up.

WHAT DO I DO?

I am bad with money:(

Edit: It literally hurts as it burns a hole in my pocket.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 12, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Buy only a modest number of heavily discounted games? Or you could just play through your backlog (given how you're talking about the sale I know you have one).

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Jastiger posted:

WHAT DO I DO?

Spend $20 on games, keep $10 in your wallet and save the rest for a date night with your wife.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tales Of Desire posted:

My coworker bought a house last year because he did the math and figured out a mortgage would be cheaper than his rent. Also because "women love a man with a house because they love stability". He bought with no money down because he had no savings, and then spent more money he didn't have tricking out a media center and getting a few other furnishings for his new house.

Now it's months later. Turns out that a bigger, older house is more expensive to heat, cool, and maintain than an apartment. He's been grumbling because he's had to sell back some of his vacation time to the company to make his mortgage, and rationalizes that this is fine because he doesn't have any money to go anywhere anyway. Nothing has even gone wrong with the house yet.

The stability-loving women have so far not appeared.

loving shoot me if I'm ever selling my vacation time back to my company. I didn't even know that was a thing people did.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

loving shoot me if I'm ever selling my vacation time back to my company. I didn't even know that was a thing people did.

I got a new job and ended up getting cash compensation for my remaining vacation time. The money was nice but certainly I would have been happier taking vacation, it was just too sudden to plan that. "This is my two weeks off, btw i'm taking 2 weeks of vacation" doesn't really cut it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jastiger posted:

Need BFC assistance. I passed go and with a large bonus check my wife gave me $100 in allowance for food, entertainment, etc. that should last me the month.

WHAT DO I DO?

Save some for next month so you don't go straight back to eating nothing or free stale popcorn or cheap lunches (whatever version you're going with)?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I know a lot of people who do it. It is hard to take 33 days plus 11 holidays and do your job for most people.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Engineer Lenk posted:

Spend $20 on games, keep $10 in your wallet and save the rest for a date night with your wife.

What I was leaning towards.
I'll probably spend 0$ on games, keep $20 for food and going out, and the rest I'll hide away for a date night or something like that.

Edit: Eating Stale Popcorn now. SO long as I have CC debt I feel like any money NOT spent on debt is money wasted.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You're still blowing $80 for a few hours. That's still the hosed-up mindset.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Anne Whateley posted:

You're still blowing $80 for a few hours. That's still the hosed-up mindset.

Investing in the relationship with his wife is cheaper than divorce, and he's actually budgeting for it in advance.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

spwrozek posted:

I know a lot of people who do it. It is hard to take 33 days plus 11 holidays and do your job for most people.

Working offshore we get comp time, but we stay pretty busy so even when people plan a holiday the managers come back with "yeahhhh so we've got this contract, we're gonna need you to go offshore..." You can't cash out comp time so usually these guys have already had 30-40 days off before they've even touched paid leave.

I must work with some people pretty bad with money. We're all on expat packages (rent+utilities, travel allowance, home airfare, and most of us have cell phones). Most of us work offshore (salary + $200/day hardship pay). They recently changed the way they give the home airfare allowance- Admin used to book our tickets for us, which was a pain and you'd have to get approval if you wanted a certain flight or layover or to go somewhere not "home," so they decided to just pay a monthly sum to cover airfares and let us deal ourselves. Great!

Coworker comes in bitching about how he's gonna have a hard time with it, how is he supposed to budget for the 4 tickets! ...To Philippines. From Singapore. It's like a $300 ticket? He's white so he's not even getting a discriminatory filipino salary. I think he's supporting his wife's family back home, but like, it's Philippines, cost of living is like $500/month. He's gotta bring in at least S$6k/month, not including any offshore (and he's offshore ~50% of the time).

oh oh I used to live with a girl who would bitch about how "they don't pay us enough for this!" (For what? We have a great work environment, but whatever..) Turned out her parents loaned her the money for her tuition to go back to school for a masters in meteorology. Apparently she funded living expenses on a high-interest credit card. Upon graduating she got a job as an entry level meteorologist, which was SO UNFAIR because she had 4 years experience as a geologist. So all of her bill-free S$4k+/month (+$600 travel allowance, we walk to work) was going to service debt? I guess this is why people accept expat packages despite being totally miserable living abroad.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Not all companies allow it (one of the ones I've worked for didn't).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, I've lost hundreds of hours of vacation time because I couldn't get around to using them.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

I asked HR during my orientation week and got a laugh followed with a no. I was trying to raise capital for a car purchase at the time. :negative:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

spwrozek posted:

Man I thought I had it good with 15 days plus 10 holidays. I wouldn't know how to use 33 days other than 3 day weekends all summer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

spwrozek posted:

Government? Military? That's 22 days more than I get off, and I bet you get sick days also....

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I would poo poo rainbows if I could. I sit near cap on vacation often, if I could sell half back and get a nice paycheck, I'd be all over that. I really should take more time off, but I just don't have anywhere to go or people to go somewhere with, so most of my time off is wasted.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

CitizenKain posted:

I would poo poo rainbows if I could. I sit near cap on vacation often, if I could sell half back and get a nice paycheck, I'd be all over that. I really should take more time off, but I just don't have anywhere to go or people to go somewhere with, so most of my time off is wasted.

Quit and cash out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

Government? Military? That's 22 days more than I get off, and I bet you get sick days also....

Sorry should clarify, you have to have 20 years with the company. I do get 22 days plus 6 fixed holiday and 5 floating holidays ( so really it is 27 vacation days). Plus you can buy or sell up to a week. (Also don't hate me too much but I also work 9-80's and get every other Friday off (so that is 26 more days kind of...))

I work for a major US electric and gas utility. All the old guys sell a week and usually are gone for three weeks to end the year.

Oh and no sick days but who gets sick? Just call in and say you are working from home.

My boss is a cool guy.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jastiger posted:

WHAT DO I DO?

WTF. Do not do this, dude. Go read your last posts.

A good windfall rule is to split it between debt, savings, and spending.

Have you guys BOTH made a budget yet.

spwrozek posted:

Sorry should clarify, you have to have 20 years with the company. I do get 22 days plus 6 fixed holiday and 5 floating holidays ( so really it is 27 vacation days). Plus you can buy or sell up to a week. (Also don't hate me too much but I also work 9-80's and get every other Friday off (so that is 26 more days kind of...))

I work for a major US electric and gas utility. All the old guys sell a week and usually are gone for three weeks to end the year.

Oh and no sick days but who gets sick? Just call in and say you are working from home.

My boss is a cool guy.
Sounds like my company, except we're financial services and start with a bit less. 11 holidays (fixed, 2.5x pay if you have to work them for people in departments that have to work holidays :( not I!) plus 18.5 days PTO my first year, +5 third year, +5 10th, +5 20th, if memory serves; the 3rd yr +5 is def correct, that's what is up next for me. My cousin has 33.5 days off per year, and my other cousin has 28.5 days off per year. Not too bad. And they both get to take them, as do I. We can't sell back time, but we can buy an extra week, taken out equally over every paycheck.

No sick days, but we can use PTO. Depending on your job, you can WFH instead of take PTO for sick days. I cannot yet, but I will be to eventually/once I change positions this winter/early spring 2015.

Pinball posted:

Does a career choice count? I've chosen Special Education, and if I work in Austin, where I want to, after graduation, I'll start with 45K in salary, with about 30,000 of that remaining after I pay taxes and sock fifteen percent away in savings. Special education's a huge passion for me, it's something that needs doing and something I'm good at, but the salary's pretty poo poo. And I don't want to assume that I'll get married, so being financially independent is important to me. I'd like to adopt a kid eventually, too. But if I try to buy anything for under 110K in Austin eventually, it'll be a condo, or I'll have to rent forever. I worry that I won't be able to live in Austin and raise a child on my salary, and I'm sad that I won't be able to give my kid the life my parents gave me: vacations, living in a proper house, undergrad paid for, getting out of graduate school without loans. Theoretically I can just go back to school and get another degree, since my hearing sucks so bad I get my tuition waived. Am I worrying too far in the future, or is there something I should be doing to make my future better?
I would have assumed you would get married before adopting, but that isn't always the case. You probably need more income to do what you're wanting to do. Maybe tutor on the side?

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Does a career choice count? I've chosen Special Education, and if I work in Austin, where I want to, after graduation, I'll start with 45K in salary, with about 30,000 of that remaining after I pay taxes and sock fifteen percent away in savings. Special education's a huge passion for me, it's something that needs doing and something I'm good at, but the salary's pretty poo poo. And I don't want to assume that I'll get married, so being financially independent is important to me. I'd like to adopt a kid eventually, too. But if I try to buy anything for under 110K in Austin eventually, it'll be a condo, or I'll have to rent forever. I worry that I won't be able to live in Austin and raise a child on my salary, and I'm sad that I won't be able to give my kid the life my parents gave me: vacations, living in a proper house, undergrad paid for, getting out of graduate school without loans. Theoretically I can just go back to school and get another degree, since my hearing sucks so bad I get my tuition waived. Am I worrying too far in the future, or is there something I should be doing to make my future better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
You can earn a solid middle class lifestyle with teaching, maybe even upper middle class if you get married and have dual income. Teachers in decent school districts start at about 45k for 10 months work and then can add on another 5k if you work during the summer. You can get another 2-3k if you coach or do an after school activity. Older teachers in leadership positions earn 90-100k and administrators earn 100-130k.

If you want to pay your kids undergraduate and grad school then you need to go back to school right away. No way you're gonna save 500k+ for college expenses on any carrer that pays less than 100k.

• Locked thread