Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan posted:

So I called in and basically the store told me they won't charge a restocking fee. I am going to return the TV and use the 10% off coupon to get a 70 inch instead for like 200 bucks more. Woot!

Awesome! Never hurts to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I wish I got Super Metroid in Club Nintendo while it was still up. There's no way I could have known I was going to impulsively get a WiiU though. :(

At least the WiiU rewards are generally great while the 3DS ones are typically uninteresting. Now I'll have something to put all these coins towards.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I've got 10 bucks eshop credit and I'm totally torn.

On one hand I really like old school RPGs and would like to try out Earthbound. I just finished ff2 on snes for the first time and loved it. The only problem is I usually only play rpgs once through.

On the other hand I could grab Doctor Mario and Mario 3 and play those over and over again.

First world problems.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

davey4283 posted:

On one hand I really like old school RPGs and would like to try out Earthbound. I just finished ff2 on snes for the first time and loved it. The only problem is I usually only play rpgs once through.

On the other hand I could grab Doctor Mario and Mario 3 and play those over and over again.

First world problems.

Earthbound has a real charm to it that really should be experienced, if you haven't before.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The solution is to buy all three. :retrogames:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

davey4283 posted:

First world problems.

The Wii U Pushmo is releasing in like a week, that's where my Nintendo Funbux are goin'.

But Earthbound is good if you've never played it and you're willing to wade through just a few archaic RPG mechanics.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hey a piece of news that may have been missed:

quote:

Bayonetta 2 Director Yusuke Hashimoto and Producer Akiko Curoda answer your questions on Facebook! The original version of Bayonetta will be available via a digital download on eShop when you purchase Bayonetta 2 (either a box version or digital copy of the game).

GAME IS SAVED

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

GAME IS SAVED

Wait hold up so they're putting the (original Bayonetta) game on the eShop instead of just including it on the disc? Wonder if that means they'll also be straight-up selling it as well. Interesting. Also probably means more free Digital Deluxe Promotion credit for me to the tune of a cooooool five bucks

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wait hold up so they're putting the (original Bayonetta) game on the eShop instead of just including it on the disc? Wonder if that means they'll also be straight-up selling it as well. Interesting. Also probably means more free Digital Deluxe Promotion credit for me to the tune of a cooooool five bucks

It'll be available in both retail and e-shop purchases is what they're saying. Original rumor was that 1 wasn't included in the digital version.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ChaosArgate posted:

There aren't any other digital Mario Parties that can be played on Wii U though. :(

There aren't any other digital Mario Parties.

Unless you're counting Island Tour or something but I don't know why you'd do that.

I guess the real answer is there aren't any other digital numbered Mario Parties.

Louisgod posted:

GAME IS SAVED

I honestly would've preferred a disc copy but either way the original Bayonetta ends up in my possession so its still a good deal.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm stoked that Bayonetta 1 comes as a free copy, since I wanted to have both games on the same platform, but didn't want to rebuy it. Problem solved!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm stoked that Bayonetta 1 comes as a free copy, since I wanted to have both games on the same platform, but didn't want to rebuy it. Problem solved!

It's kind of like they are biting their thumb at Sega, since Bayo 1 was a big love letter to Sega's legacy of games, and now they're plastering all this Nintendo stuff on top of it.

Oh yeah, it's Princess Peach's Fantasy Zone now!

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Just shat myself watching the Bayonetta 2 demo. And I can't wait to finally play the first one at full 60 fps.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

There aren't any other digital Mario Parties.

Unless you're counting Island Tour or something but I don't know why you'd do that.

I guess the real answer is there aren't any other digital numbered Mario Parties.

I honestly would've preferred a disc copy but either way the original Bayonetta ends up in my possession so its still a good deal.

Yes I was counting Island Tour. 10 is also practically guaranteed to be digital. But yeah, as of this moment, there aren't any other numbered Mario Parties you can get digitally.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is Mario Party 10 going to be good?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Yes.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Louisgod posted:

GAME IS SAVED

Yussssssssssssss

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brain Training is free on the eShop in Europe, someone see if it's there in Americas too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

njsykora posted:

Brain Training is free on the eShop in Europe, someone see if it's there in Americas too.

I don't see it in the US.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Austrian mook posted:

If you're playing as Bowser definitely

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I was on the fence at first but now I'm really excited for Bayo 1 and 2, especially now that I'm more familar with Platinum's products.

It's most likely doomed not to sell but it'll probably be totally fantastic.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

elf help book posted:

I don't see it in the US.

Probably next week.

I hope. I mean, its just Brain Age, not the most interesting game, but being free makes it a lot more enticing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Saw this elsewhere... Mario Kart for $35?

quote:

Target (store only not online) will Price match Amazon.com if the price is from Amazon themselves and not a reseller. Currently Amazon has MK8 listed for $48.79 so Target matched at the service desk.
Target also has a deal (3rd page on their circular) where you can get $15 off ANY game $39.99 with at least $1 towards ANY pre-order. So I took a pre-order for Smash Bros Wii U and MK8 and it rang up $34.79 + tax.
You also get a $5 Target Gift card when you pick up your pre-order and these are new (not used) copies so they still qualify for Nintendo's Free game offer.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr Pepper posted:

If you're playing as Bowser definitely

hold on... excuse me?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Austrian mook posted:

hold on... excuse me?

Mario Party 10's gimmick is that the Gamepad player is Bowser and spends all their time being a massive arsehole to everyone.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

hold on... excuse me?
The good news about Mario Party 10 so far is, you can play as Bowser using the gamepad in an asymmetrical multiplayer mode against your friends using other controllers.
The bad news about Mario Party 10 so far is that the entire group of non-Bowser players moves as a unit.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

hold on... excuse me?

There's a new game mode where the gamepad player chases the other four people, who are using wiimotes, and the regular players have to try to survive the bowser minigames that happen whenever bowser catches up to them. Each player starts with a certain amount of health that they can lose in the minigames or gain in board events, and the regular players win if at least 1 person makes it to the end of the board. The board is mostly a straight path, but it looked like there were some different options you could take.

Edit: Added the quote so all of our replies would have the same format.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Austrian mook posted:

hold on... excuse me?

Starting from Bowser totally cheats via Debug Mode

edit: It might be worth it to do a E3 wrap-up, hopefully once Nintendo has all their videos out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PrBacterio posted:

The bad news about Mario Party 10 so far is that the entire group of non-Bowser players moves as a unit.

They've done this for a couple games now. It definitely seems lame but a lot of people seem to prefer it that way, I guess it keeps losing players from checking out once it's clear they can't win, or something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They've done this for a couple games now. It definitely seems lame but a lot of people seem to prefer it that way, I guess it keeps losing players from checking out once it's clear they can't win, or something.

It does make the various dice items more useful, since you could potentially roll a low-number dice to narrowly miss a negative effect (like collecting negative stars or something) and force it onto another player or speed past positive effects with a high-number dice to keep the next player in line from benefiting.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
that sounds really cool, although I don't know, I think I'll miss the old style. Really, I just want the minigames to be fun, that's all.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

that sounds really cool, although I don't know, I think I'll miss the old style. Really, I just want the minigames to be fun, that's all.

The minigames in MP9 were the best since like MP2 so MP10's will hopefully be good as well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Huh, Pikmin 3 is really great. Takes me back to playing the first two when I was younger. The WiiU is probably going to end up being my favorite console of all time, just really great stuff on this thing.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
If Mario Party 10 has online Garden Battle mode I'm in, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Famous TV Dad posted:

The minigames in MP9 were the best since like MP2 so MP10's will hopefully be good as well.

Now if only they put the classic screw your friends over gameplay from the older games back in where everybody wasn't buddied up in a cart then we can get another truly excellent Mario Party.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Mario Party has always been great for literally any audience. It's one of those rare things that is family friendly without being lame, the kind of game you can enjoy with your ten year old niece or your 27 year old spouse and have just as much fun.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Mario Party is about violently owning your friends and ever since they started pulling away from that angle (ultimately ending up with all players in a baby go-kart collecting mini stars) the series has gotten a lot less interesting.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I dunno what game you guys were playing, but Mario Party 9's "everybody rides the same cart" thing was not a buddy-buddy co-op thing whatsoever. Unless you all were just rolling stock dice and high fiving each other I guess.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I dunno what game you guys were playing, but Mario Party 9's "everybody rides the same cart" thing was not a buddy-buddy co-op thing whatsoever. Unless you all were just rolling stock dice and high fiving each other I guess.

I just preferred the old "Everybody goes their own way on the map without it being a one-way road to the end." gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Eh, for me the best Mario Party news will be when whichever one had the making a giant snowball in the mountain gets released on the eShop.

• Locked thread