Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nintendo have sneaked Brain Training onto the eShop to kick off the DS Virtual Console for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Its on the North American Wii U VC as well now?

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the recommendations! Think I'll give Pushmo a spin.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No, just Japan and EU shops for right now.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

No, just Japan and EU shops for right now.

drat, oh well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not taking a kick up the arse and being thankful for it. Simple as.

Okay then, be as petty as gently caress about a niche title that a few years ago would have had a slim to none chance of coming out in Europe at all.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
DS Emulator is even more ridiculous than the GBA one, size wise. If you recall, the GBA game package was roughly 60 MB of which 8 were the game, leaving over 50 MB for emulator + manual.

DS game package is 75 MB and does also have manual scans, but no other features apart from clicking the right stick to rotate the screens 180°. The European Brain Training DS game is on a 16 MB card, which means that, somehow, nearly 60 MB are used on emulator + manual. The real kicker is though that the game creates a 64 MB save file per user, which is astounding as the DS game uses a 256 KB flash memory for its save. I have no idea how they possibly get to that 64 MB filesize -- even if you store the current DS RAM state (4 MB) and DS firmware for custom user settings (256 KB) you would not get anywhere near close to that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jesus how the gently caress does that happen. :psyduck:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How the gently caress is Nintendo getting away with charging 4.99 for "Soccer"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nachos posted:

because they are making a new star focks now sit down son

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

nachos posted:

The same way they got away with charging $4.99 for Urban Champion, Baseball, Golf, etc.

Which is of course, standardized pricing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay then, be as petty as gently caress about a niche title that a few years ago would have had a slim to none chance of coming out in Europe at all.

No see it makes perfect sense. In order to get Atlus to publish more niche titles the trick is to not buy them until they come out faster!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The same way they got away with charging $4.99 for Urban Champion, Baseball, Golf, etc.

Which is of course, standardized pricing.

Standardized except for Earthbound, where they charge a $2 premium.

I had no problem forking over $5 for Super Mario Bros 3, but all this Soccer and Clu Clu Land nonsense was barely worth $5 back in 1985. Charging that now for a digital version (without crossplay!) is goddamn criminal.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Standardized except for Earthbound, where they charge a $2 premium.

I had no problem forking over $5 for Super Mario Bros 3, but all this Soccer and Clu Clu Land nonsense was barely worth $5 back in 1985. Charging that now for a digital version (without crossplay!) is goddamn criminal.

Well of course, its a popular game that hasn't seen the light of day.

They want to milk those dollars.

NES games seem to be standardized though, unless imports (Lost Levels) cost more again like they did on the Wii.

I'm just worried that DS games will end up costing like $15 or something because of how recent they are.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

DS Emulator is even more ridiculous than the GBA one, size wise. If you recall, the GBA game package was roughly 60 MB of which 8 were the game, leaving over 50 MB for emulator + manual.

DS game package is 75 MB and does also have manual scans, but no other features apart from clicking the right stick to rotate the screens 180°. The European Brain Training DS game is on a 16 MB card, which means that, somehow, nearly 60 MB are used on emulator + manual. The real kicker is though that the game creates a 64 MB save file per user, which is astounding as the DS game uses a 256 KB flash memory for its save. I have no idea how they possibly get to that 64 MB filesize -- even if you store the current DS RAM state (4 MB) and DS firmware for custom user settings (256 KB) you would not get anywhere near close to that.
To be fair, this is SUPER early DS Virtual Console we're talking about here. Like 3DS Ambassador NES and GBA cobbled together and incomplete grade work.

I'm sure that in a few years when they finally get their poo poo down on the DS emulator, it'll be far better than this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
VC doesn't have standardised prices even on Wii U, but we're talking about a dollar ether way of the base price, usually.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

VC doesn't have standardised prices even on Wii U, but we're talking about a dollar ether way of the base price, usually.

I just double-checked to make sure I'm not crazy. I can't speak for every territory, but on the American eShop all NES games are $5 and all SNES games are $8 except for Earthbound, which is $10. There are a few lower prices lurking in there due to sales, but there's a standard price for games that seems to be set by platform.

Some GBA titles are $7 and some are $8, so there's some variance there at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EDIT: ^^I'm pretty sure there are both 5EUR and 4EUR on the Wii U VC, but I could be misremembering. I do know that the GBP price is different between 3DS and Wii U, which is irritating.

Yo EU dudes, the Inazuma Eleven sale is live in Europe, too - €8.99 until the end of the World Cup. No idea why it wasn't mentioned on the press release, oh well. (UK dudes, I heard you can buy via the Ireland eShop, but don't quote me on that.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch me. Atlus might have Megaten but they're not the only game in town for games like that and besides L5's horrendous blunder with Inazuma Eleven they do make decent time of about one to six months if even that.

Honestly if this is how every non NIS/Koei released Atlus game is going to be released (and it really seems like that between this and P4A) then they can forget it and save me the trouble of caring.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ConanThe3rd posted:

Watch me. Atlus might have Megaten but they're not the only game in town for games like that and besides L5's horrendous blunder with Inazuma Eleven they do make decent time of about one to six months if even that.

Honestly if this is how every non NIS/Koei released Atlus game is going to be released (and it really seems like that between this and P4A) then they can forget it and save me the trouble of caring.

They... kind of are the only game in town for things like that? Is there another company out there putting out weird-rear end apocalyptic JRPGs with a demon fusion mechanic? Because Tecmo hasn't made a proper Monster Rancher since 2008.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ahahaha I knew I recognized that name from somewhere, you're that huge weirdo that had that giant freakout over Inazuma Eleven in the main 3DS thread.

Keep on keepin' on, overreacting weirdo :allears:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
In Club Nintendo, I have a survey that "Expires Jul 1". Does anyone know if this means I will be able to wait until the 1st and fill it out exactly that day? Or will it be expired on that day?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got my 3ds back from being repaired. Feels good again. Now I just gotta figure out what is worth playing lately.

Got the phoenix wright DLC finally, but not sure about any games for it in the last couple months that are worthwhile.

Also the exorberant prices of some of these older games is hilarious. I'd spend more if the prices weren't so bullshit. (this goes to all the console stores though)

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

elf help book posted:

In Club Nintendo, I have a survey that "Expires Jul 1". Does anyone know if this means I will be able to wait until the 1st and fill it out exactly that day? Or will it be expired on that day?

You can fill it out on July 1st. I've also heard that people have been able to extend some survey times by complaining to Nintendo support about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This won't be relevant to many people, but it's interesting nonetheless:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/etc/seminar/report/report02.html

NCL does a yearly "Nintendo Game Seminar" where Kansai-region university students can take lectures with Nintendo designers and participate in game jam-style projects. In previous years they've made games for DS and more recently Nintendo Web Framework (java/html5), but this year's seminar uses Unity as the development platform, and they'll be making four of the student project games available on the eShop for free, starting June 19.

It'd be neat if the international branches would do something similar. NOA/NST is still close with DigiPen, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

You did this exact same thing with Inazuma Eleven and Level 5 when they did the US release of I11. You are acting insanely childish.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

This won't be relevant to many people, but it's interesting nonetheless:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/etc/seminar/report/report02.html

NCL does a yearly "Nintendo Game Seminar" where Kansai-region university students can take lectures with Nintendo designers and participate in game jam-style projects. In previous years they've made games for DS and more recently Nintendo Web Framework (java/html5), but this year's seminar uses Unity as the development platform, and they'll be making four of the student project games available on the eShop for free, starting June 19.

It'd be neat if the international branches would do something similar. NOA/NST is still close with DigiPen, right?
Are the ones they are making free the one Tezuka or someones been posting about on Miiverse?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just read that you get a free digital game when you buy and register Mario Kart 8 in the UK.

I don't have a Wii U yet and was planning on getting one so was going to go for the Mario Kart Bundle, but we just bought a new TV which has eaten up our cash for a little while.

I was wondering if I just buy Mario Kart 8 separately and register it online, could I at register my claim for a free digital download. Then in a month or so when i can afford to, buy the Wii-U and download the game to it (after the free code offer expires).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, that ought to work. You have to redeem the code by the end of September, I think.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Yeah, that ought to work. You have to redeem the code by the end of September, I think.

Cool, yeah the blogs/sites i've seen it mentioned on all say the offer expires on the 31st July, but i wasn't sure if that meant register & download or just register.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, you have to register the game before the end of July and redeem the code before the end of September. The T&C for the promo is here: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/Mario-Kart-8-Bonus-Game-Promotion/Terms-Conditions/Terms-Conditions-879237.html

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I have been playing NES Remix 2 for most of the day with my brother between drinks (it's Winter, can't do much else) and by god it's one of the funnest drat things.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I'm going on holiday next week and I'll have two flights and some time in my afternoons to chill out with handhelds. What's recommended on 3DS these days? Preferably in the pick-up-and-play for 15 mins to an hour kind of range (or in the get-absorbed-for-a-whole-plane-trip range)

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I'm going on holiday next week and I'll have two flights and some time in my afternoons to chill out with handhelds. What's recommended on 3DS these days? Preferably in the pick-up-and-play for 15 mins to an hour kind of range (or in the get-absorbed-for-a-whole-plane-trip range)

Pushmo, Crashmo, HarmoKnight are probably the best example of eShop only games I can think of that would fit what you're looking for.

If you want to pay more, Super Mario 3D Land is really stellar. New Super Mario Bros. 2 could work, if you like the modern 2D Mario games. I always thought that Resident Evil Revelaitons was a terrific game that fits in that 15 minutes to an hour range, too.

In the Virtual Console, Kirby's Block Ball and Donkey Kong (Game Boy) immediately come to mind.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Steamworld Dig is great, but it's only 7 or 8 hours long, so definitely get something else to go along with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Steamworld Dig is great, but it's only 7 or 8 hours long, so definitely get something else to go along with it.

I'd say more like 4 but yes, it's a really good game.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I couldn't get into Pullblox or Steamworld but I just looked up Harmoknight and all anyone needed to say was 'Pokemon music in a rhythm game' and it's an instant sale :allears: Thanks for recommendations guys! I also picked up Kirby 3D at TRU today.

E: Goddamn, even the demo for HarmoKnight is pretty brutal! I like it though, it's charming. Definitely going to pick it up though I don't think I'll be very good at it :ohdear:

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 15, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

EDIT: Whoops wrong thread. Delete please.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 15, 2014

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So is there a reason I should wait until June 30th to do surveys? I guess I don't really get how Club Nintendo works. I have 260 coins right now (40 from Gold), none of which expire on June 30th, plus some backlogged surveys to do. Why would I wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Little Mac posted:

So is there a reason I should wait until June 30th to do surveys? I guess I don't really get how Club Nintendo works. I have 260 coins right now (40 from Gold), none of which expire on June 30th, plus some backlogged surveys to do. Why would I wait?

If you've already hit Platinum status, then wait a few weeks so you can put the coins you'd earn towards next year's status.